Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549644 times)

ProtonFox, powerflux, SashPlane, Gertjan, Wolfgang and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92625 on: June 22, 2021, 04:56:58 pm »
Hospital grub just got better.
Salmon, feta, olives, broth plus a creme veggies soup.
According to the hospital kitchen the incredible amount of 2.4 grams in carbs and a minute amount of calories (41 according to the kitchen, but I don't believe them

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, FransW, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92626 on: June 22, 2021, 05:06:17 pm »
Update on the yellow Avo 8 MKV, it is not a factory applied colour, it has been user applied and badly. Reminds of someone trying to make 1 tin of paint decorate the entire house, it has been applied so sparsely that the black shows through  :palm:

The good news however is that it works perfectly, just needs a new set of batteries and its ready to go. Now, do I leave it as it is and just clean it up, do I repaint the yellow correctly or do I swap the case over for the decent one which has a duff movement in it? Decisions decisions, anyone have any thoughts on this at all? :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92627 on: June 22, 2021, 05:08:28 pm »
According to the hospital kitchen the incredible amount of 2.4 grams in carbs and a minute amount of calories (41 according to the kitchen, but I don't believe them
With that menu. 41 calories is impossible, chances are that you'd get that much in a couple of litres of spring water?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92628 on: June 22, 2021, 05:43:52 pm »
On The Bench Today:  :wtf: ANOTHER FUCKING KEYBOARD...?  ???
(SNIP)
A quick once-over shows no major surprises; I see a few ring cracks on the KB PCB (yup, single-sided Paxolin  ;)) that will need the solder touched up, and I suppose I might go over the main PCB with my MS8911 and make sure there are no egregiously compromised electrolytic caps. If the thing acts in any way odd, I'll probably shotgun them all.

I'll stop back with more pics once it's all done... unless the current topic has shifted to something else much more interesting.  :-DD

Musicians and coffee. Who'd have guessed...?  :-DD

Disassembly of the rear connector assembly was pretty uneventful... just a few joints to desolder.

Wait...  :wtf: The 5.5 DC power jack is not just captive in the panel, but is actually integrated into it? YAMAHA, you BASTARDS!!!

A quick rummage through my junk bin revealed no one-piece power jacks which match the footprint of this bastard child... same with a quick look on fleaBay and slAmazon. I did however find a 10-pack of panel-mount 5.5mm power jacks for $8... In the cart they go, along with some household crap to make the minimum for free next-day, and back to the bench. ::)

Here is where the MS8911 shines; working your way through a PCB looking for obviously bad caps. The 0.1V signal setting means you almost always get a meaningful result on both capacitance and ESR, and while it does take a half a second longer to settle on a number, overall it saves a lot of time vs going back and retesting when you get a reading that's way out to lunch. :-+

A'aight... there's a lot more cleaning to do before I can start reassembling everything but the mainboard. That's mostly domestic-type work I won't bore you with unless I happen to find a crunchy snack... err, interesting resident.  >:D

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:46:51 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92629 on: June 22, 2021, 05:54:50 pm »
Update on the yellow Avo 8 MKV, it is not a factory applied colour, it has been user applied and badly. Reminds of someone trying to make 1 tin of paint decorate the entire house, it has been applied so sparsely that the black shows through  :palm:

The good news however is that it works perfectly, just needs a new set of batteries and its ready to go. Now, do I leave it as it is and just clean it up, do I repaint the yellow correctly or do I swap the case over for the decent one which has a duff movement in it? Decisions decisions, anyone have any thoughts on this at all? :-//

Uggh. You'll play hell getting it to look decent unless you scrub the paint clean with alcohol, then mask extra-careful-like and spray-bomb it. OTOH, anytime you do a chassis-transplant, you run a very real risk of breaking something, or finding out 3/4 of the way through that there's some undocumented mid-model revision that makes the donor incompatible without PITA modification/booty fab.

I'd do the repaint first; whether to make the yellow look right or to make it matching black is up to you. Probably would be best to go with like a satin black so it looks like the area was painted for a reason if the latter. :-//

Then, if it turns out still looking like a dog's breakfast, you still have the chassis transplant as a Plan B.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:59:26 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92630 on: June 22, 2021, 06:15:16 pm »
With that menu. 41 calories is impossible, chances are that you'd get that much in a couple of litres of spring water?
That's why I said I didn't believe them.
I would guess the salmon @ 50, the broth at 10, the cream veggies at less than 50 and the feta at 50. Add the 4 green olives and it's probably around 200 total. Which is fine. I do believe the carbs though. We are talking very small quantities here ... And I guess they did not count the Proteine calories

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92631 on: June 22, 2021, 06:30:12 pm »
Yeah that's a later 199 model that has the colour screen and a different UI. The TTi manual cover is a mystery...

At least the eBay one can be seen working; the apparent distortion is an artifact of a polarised camera lens.
Also comes with a nice hard case and genuine charger.

It's not the greatest scopemeter ever made but I find mine useful,  and the 5kpts memory is better than none.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92632 on: June 22, 2021, 06:49:25 pm »
That's why I said I didn't believe them.
I would guess the salmon @ 50, the broth at 10, the cream veggies at less than 50 and the feta at 50. Add the 4 green olives and it's probably around 200 total. Which is fine. I do believe the carbs though. We are talking very small quantities here ... And I guess they did not count the Proteine calories

More likely somebody fat-fingered it and didn't enter a leading or trailing digit. ;)

Curd cheeses are actually pretty high in fat, so relatively high in calories as well. This is what I've had today so far. The cottage cheese is a mix of regular store-brand cottage cheese and the dry brick cottage cheese with zero additives to drop the carbs a bit, and to get the taste/texture more like I remember growing up. Calories are almost identical between the two tho: ~120 calories per 125g serving.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92633 on: June 22, 2021, 07:37:47 pm »
Yeah that's a later 199 model that has the colour screen and a different UI. The TTi manual cover is a mystery...

At least the eBay one can be seen working; the apparent distortion is an artifact of a polarised camera lens.

It's not the greatest scopemeter ever made but I find mine useful,  and the 5kpts memory is better than none.

Its already in my sights.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92634 on: June 22, 2021, 07:38:59 pm »
The serving size was minute. No more than 50 grams of salmon or feta

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92635 on: June 22, 2021, 08:13:51 pm »
Was it @factory that was looking for a handheld/battery powered scope?

This may or may not go for sensible money:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUKE-99B-SCOPEMETER-SERIES-II-new-genuine-Fluke-power-supply-probes-case-/184885393767

Yes I am looking for a battery powered scope, not sure about Flukes though as I hated the UI on the 123 scopemeters at work.

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92636 on: June 22, 2021, 08:21:26 pm »
The serving size was minute. No more than 50 grams of salmon or feta
Thats just fine, its your favourite amount, just isn't C4 thats all.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #92637 on: June 22, 2021, 08:27:13 pm »
1. An RF Power Meter, probably an HP E4418B

That's a mostly useless instrument unless you have at least one sensor head. You will find out very soon you are in need of at least one other sensor.   >:D

Don't ask how I know...

Heh... I sort of assumed it was implied that I meant "... and necessary sensor heads."  Now how many sensor heads, that's a question I don't know the answer to...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92638 on: June 22, 2021, 08:31:28 pm »

Musicians and coffee. Who'd have guessed...?  :-DD

Well, it does seem unlikely. Bourbon, vodka, beer, even wine - yes. Coffee - seems improbable.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92639 on: June 22, 2021, 08:36:17 pm »
Can I have some batshit with that ?

In other news, fever is coming down.
Had a long discussion with a dietary consultant regarding hospital grub. They were trying to feed me 200 grams of carbs per day whereas my normal consumption was down to 25. Which lead to my not touching the grub provided. I explained my reasoning and now they put me on zero carbs. Pureed spinach without any seasoning is not among my favorites.

I'll probably shed another kilogram before they send me home.
Need to check my vitamins too ...
Visited reloading shop today and stocked up on some nice shiny projectiles that don’t need polishing at all only naming !
Powder and primers too so just say the word when it all gets to much .........
you obviously want a reason for that engraver. You need it to put names onto projectiles ...
Already have the choice of 3.....
Air powered die grinder
Dremel
Electric buzzy one with a tungsten needle point

Take your pick !
Hopefully thoughts of me hovering in the background like the grim reaper will help you to a full recovery !  >:D
GWS Saskia.  :-*
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #92640 on: June 22, 2021, 08:42:21 pm »
Yes I am looking for a battery powered scope, not sure about Flukes though as I hated the UI on the 123 scopemeters at work.

David
Don't be temped by any SHS models just yet as they have a significant HW and UI update coming but it is a while away. Micsig seem to be popular however a new owner is reporting ongoing freezes with newly applied FW.

Do you need portability or isolation ?
If you already have one of the small modern DSO's differential probes for it might be a better investment.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92641 on: June 22, 2021, 09:15:42 pm »

Hah, I was hoping I was going to get that, but it shot upto £207 in the last few seconds, was it anyone on here who got it, if so well done and I hate you  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #92642 on: June 22, 2021, 11:08:41 pm »

Hah, I was hoping I was going to get that, but it shot upto £207 in the last few seconds, was it anyone on here who got it, if so well done and I hate you  :-DD

Not me, and I hate them too; I had to pay £300 for mine   :-DD

Was it @factory that was looking for a handheld/battery powered scope?

This may or may not go for sensible money:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLUKE-99B-SCOPEMETER-SERIES-II-new-genuine-Fluke-power-supply-probes-case-/184885393767

David

The 99B S2 has an older UI, pretty much the same as the original Philips branded ones. What's your budget? There's a Tek 720 no-one's yet bid on with an opening price of £199. That's what I just got one for, so it's probably the money, despite a number of others up at silly (some very silly) prices.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164921772568

It has the older v1.14 fw but I believe the v1.16 is posted somewhere on the EEVBlog forum.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92643 on: June 23, 2021, 12:37:31 am »
Had a little time to look at the "yellow" Avo a bit more and discovered that I was the first person to open it up. It was still sealed with the factory seals intact and inside it looks to be in very good condition, switch tracks show it has been used, and I gave it a quick wipe over the circuit board to remove any debris from the switch contacts and judging by the markings, I think it dates back to 1980 when it rolled off the production line.

I think, mnementh, you got it about right with your comments ref swapping the case over, so I plan to leave it in the current case but need to remove that dreadful yellow paint. Just need to find a way of removing it without damaging the plastic case itself. I could just paint it black again, but I'd rather remove the yellow first as the front should be textured and in parts the yellow is so thick it filled in the texture relief lines.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #92644 on: June 23, 2021, 02:17:53 am »
Amazingly the contents of this poorly packed box arrived unscathed  :phew: Two minute peek inside as I have stuff to do not on the bench. Earthed of a fashion  :palm: Inverted mains plug is quirky and makes switching the GPO 'interesting'. And proving that even Companies in a production setting have a few loose screws laying around  ;)

It makes volts close enough for 'stralia but I will load it up and look at the noise in a separate thread.

Almost identical to mine on the inside. Only difference I see is in lower right. And exterior packaging is different. But I have no doubt they came from the same factory in China.

Going to post testing and such here as the similarities are far greater than the likely differences https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/kungber-bench-ps-tear-down-images-as-requested/new/#new
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #92645 on: June 23, 2021, 02:49:17 am »
Had a little time to look at the "yellow" Avo a bit more and discovered that I was the first person to open it up. It was still sealed with the factory seals intact and inside it looks to be in very good condition, switch tracks show it has been used, and I gave it a quick wipe over the circuit board to remove any debris from the switch contacts and judging by the markings, I think it dates back to 1980 when it rolled off the production line.

I think, mnementh, you got it about right with your comments ref swapping the case over, so I plan to leave it in the current case but need to remove that dreadful yellow paint. Just need to find a way of removing it without damaging the plastic case itself. I could just paint it black again, but I'd rather remove the yellow first as the front should be textured and in parts the yellow is so thick it filled in the texture relief lines.

Yes I agree it looks like hell but I think you're likely to run into problems trying to remove the yellow paint. If it were mine I'd just leave it as is.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92646 on: June 23, 2021, 03:43:51 am »
"Having a screw loose" to qualify as a regular here by definition can be easily understood in germany. The idiom is just the same over here:

"Ich habe eine Schraube locker" = "I have a screw loose" does mean exactly the same. And from that I might qualify.  :-DD

Similar to "A few tinnies short of a sixpack", or "A few kangaroos loose in the top paddock" in Oz! ;D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #92647 on: June 23, 2021, 03:50:55 am »

Yes I agree it looks like hell but I think you're likely to run into problems trying to remove the yellow paint. If it were mine I'd just leave it as is.

Take it apart, mask the fascia properly and paint it in Yellow and reassemble. Also a chance to sort out the ugly stuff on the rear case and even paint that. At least that is what I would do and keep the serial number with the innards. Yellow with Black trim would be ok  ;)

No the answerer is not Smurf Blue either the Yellow would show through :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92648 on: June 23, 2021, 08:11:32 am »
Good morning all. I finally return! Going to take a few days to catch up. Literally 63 pages of posts since I last looked.

Managed to get a few mins to get Dave to sort out the account issue. Still no email delivery working unfortunately but he managed to reset enough of the account to get back in  :-+

What happened?  I’ll keep it short but most of the details are on discord. One death, house and job shenanigans and some social events. Normal service shall be resuming shortly but will be spotty while I clean up the tail end of some of the other crap.

Missed you all and glad to be back  >:D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #92649 on: June 23, 2021, 08:22:01 am »
Good morning all. I finally return!
I’ll keep it short but most of the details are on discord.

Good to see you back.

Sounds like I ought to join discord to find out the details.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:25:20 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf