Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14829767 times)

gcwills, Vince and 136 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #92850 on: June 25, 2021, 12:32:08 pm »
I think I'm firmly in the middle ground when it comes tidy workspace, you have to be reasonably tidy when you have limited space available to you.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92851 on: June 25, 2021, 12:37:40 pm »
Just rang Stewards of Reading again chasing the requested info, and was informed that it will now be Monday when they finally get back to me as the person dealing with my request has had to go out as he had an appointment he needed to keep and won't be back till Monday  :-\
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92852 on: June 25, 2021, 12:57:41 pm »
I'm firmly at the  Williams / Pease end of the spectrum, or maybe off the scale  :-DD

Something always slightly scared me about Jim Williams’ bench setup. Those HP supplies yet had stacked up aren’t known for state of the art mains safety. Surprised he didn’t touch his pile of junk and get electrocuted through a resistor leg creeping in under them  :-//

No worry:

>:D

Haha that’s pretty funny actually  :-DD

Love the pile of buckets  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92853 on: June 25, 2021, 12:58:46 pm »
Just rang Stewards of Reading again chasing the requested info, and was informed that it will now be Monday when they finally get back to me as the person dealing with my request has had to go out as he had an appointment he needed to keep and won't be back till Monday  :-\

British small business at its best.

By the time you get anything back from half of them you can get what you want delivered next day new from Amazon for the same price.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #92854 on: June 25, 2021, 01:03:05 pm »
I'm firmly at the  Williams / Pease end of the spectrum, or maybe off the scale  :-DD

The opened drawers used as "more desk" are a mark of the true master.  :-+

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #92855 on: June 25, 2021, 01:06:13 pm »

Something always slightly scared me about Jim Williams’ bench setup. Those HP supplies yet had stacked up aren’t known for state of the art mains safety. Surprised he didn’t touch his pile of junk and get electrocuted through a resistor leg creeping in under them  :-//

A snapshot from my 6237b:

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92856 on: June 25, 2021, 01:22:32 pm »
<SNIP>
I rang them nearly 3 hours ago, and I'm still waiting for them to call back. It gives the impression that they don't want to sell anything. In fact, I think I have had this problem with a few years back. I think Robert763 must have better patience than most people. Geez, if I kept people waiting so long for a simple answer to a simple sales enquiry, then I'd deserve to be fired  :palm:

No that is not good enough. Mind you Beryl who, or at least used to, runs the sales must be getting on a bit now. I've not bought anything from them for a few years now. They were never into computers and I've never seen any sign of a sucession plan. Unfortunatuldly they may just disappear like most of the bricks and mortar TE dealers have already done. I had one of the bigger ones up north talk to me about taking over the business atorund the turn of the century but even then I could see most of his stock was a liability (hazardous waste) rather than an asset. I think one of the buildings was later put under restrictions due to structural issues too. The market has changed beyond recognition.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #92857 on: June 25, 2021, 01:51:26 pm »
I think I'm firmly in the middle ground when it comes tidy workspace, you have to be reasonably tidy when you have limited space available to you.

Are you happy with your inconspicuously placed acquisition?  ::)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92858 on: June 25, 2021, 01:55:32 pm »
<SNIP>
I rang them nearly 3 hours ago, and I'm still waiting for them to call back. It gives the impression that they don't want to sell anything. In fact, I think I have had this problem with a few years back. I think Robert763 must have better patience than most people. Geez, if I kept people waiting so long for a simple answer to a simple sales enquiry, then I'd deserve to be fired  :palm:

No that is not good enough. Mind you Beryl who, or at least used to, runs the sales must be getting on a bit now. I've not bought anything from them for a few years now. They were never into computers and I've never seen any sign of a sucession plan. Unfortunatuldly they may just disappear like most of the bricks and mortar TE dealers have already done. I had one of the bigger ones up north talk to me about taking over the business atorund the turn of the century but even then I could see most of his stock was a liability (hazardous waste) rather than an asset. I think one of the buildings was later put under restrictions due to structural issues too. The market has changed beyond recognition.

Looking at their building on Google Earth, it reminds very much of an electrical contractor in Slough who I used to visit occasionally in my last job, tucked away in the middle of a housing estate with a very narrow plot of land and a long skinny building that seems to go on forever. About 20 feet wide and 100ft long and strangely enough, that electrical contractor also did not seem to have fully embraced computers either, I wonder if there was any connection between them?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #92859 on: June 25, 2021, 02:03:08 pm »
Alternately, could get a cheap MOSFET Tab-welder (aboot $20-30 on eBay or less on banggood) ......

You've got me ready to pull the trigger on one .... as well as some nickel plated strip.

Bloody enablers.   ;D

:palm:
OK Mnem, I've pulled the trigger on one, albeit a different model.

Happy now?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #92860 on: June 25, 2021, 02:04:23 pm »
When I had hair and it had colour (color for my 'merican colleagues) I was a  'ranga in Aus lingo. 😂 My barber now charges a search fee.
LOL.
Our Larry in Perth best mate is a real freckly Ranga too though he keeps his dome clean shaven these days yet when any discussion of a Ranga comes up we all know exactly of whom it is !
Larry and Ranga flatted together and were a wild pair in their youth and I don't want to know the mischief they got up to after watching their shenanigans at Larry's Stag night in Bangalore Rd, Patong Beach, Thailand.  :scared: Real larrikins the both of them !
Some things are best left where they happened !  :-X
Some of the events that may or may not have happened - I am so glad in my youth that there was no internet - even if someone took a photo - they can very easily vanish-be forgotten unlike the ones on FB etc now.

Somewhere in the old intardnet back when Alta Vista was your search engine... courtesy of a certain psycho redhead very reminiscent of Cerebus' Zapping Violet there,  a pic went viral of a very young yours truly proudly wearing nothing but a smile and a 31.5" mudder hanging off his morning wood. Probably hit 10000 households... :o

mnem
damn, I wish I could find it now...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92861 on: June 25, 2021, 02:12:00 pm »
Looking at the workbenches of Jim Williams and Bob Pease indicates that your way is just one possibility for success. There might be others. Never underestimate the power of self-organizing chaos and entropy  >:D
I have to upmost respect for both of them and I've seen their benches. I couldn't work with it looking like a bomb hit it but if they can (and did) I'm not faulting them.

And if anyone sez "empty desk, empty mind" I kindly invite you to kiss my bony and glow in the dark white ASS.  :P :-DD

Damn... was I thinking it that loud...?  >:D

Dood... nobody is gonna shame you for picking up when yer lady comes over. We all know that dance; it is the worst possible end to a visit if she winds up carted off in a ambulance due to unexpected "interaction" with one of your "projects".  :-DD

mnem
fuck... now I can't stop looking at that pic of Zapping Violet...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92862 on: June 25, 2021, 02:12:33 pm »

Are you happy with your inconspicuously placed acquisition?  ::)
Oh, you spotted it then, and the answer is yes, it is a very handy addition albeit the cover for it was not with it, nor the user manual, (downloaded a copy). Like most of the graphical calculators, it has a steep learning curve to fully use its capabilities. Thanks for the recommendation, and as you can see I took your advice. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92863 on: June 25, 2021, 02:14:01 pm »

Yes that never impressed me about those. What is worst is the fuse holder on the back which can short to ground via the case shielded only by some really bendy aluminium.  :palm:

I still love them though  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92864 on: June 25, 2021, 02:18:20 pm »

What I find amusing is the Panavise... like there's anywhere you could actually stick that suction cup base to and use it...  :-DD

mnem
*wonders idly if he would notice the absence of those delicious Lindström side cutters-es...* :o

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92865 on: June 25, 2021, 02:19:00 pm »

Yes that never impressed me about those. What is worst is the fuse holder on the back which can short to ground via the case shielded only by some really bendy aluminium.  :palm:

But isn't that also true of many of the HP products, live mains can often be found at spots on the circuit board when you least expect it, a trap for the new players is that.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #92866 on: June 25, 2021, 02:23:40 pm »
They show their age. I had most impressive BANG's when I had that little incident. One probably could help the fuse issue with some shrink tubing over the rear of the fuse holder. Regardless; they sit best inside a rack or stacked up away from the bench -- I've got mine (6206b and 6237b) on top of each other, on a shelf, next to my first lab supply, a Uni-T dual 30V one. Now I "just" need a PD precision supply and a 6209b, and "I'm done".  Yeah. Right.

Hard to not.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92867 on: June 25, 2021, 02:32:32 pm »
British small business at its best. By the time you get anything back from half of them you can get what you want delivered next day new from Amazon for the same price.
Yeah, well... the delay is not without reason.  ;)  It takes them that long to mount a prospecting expedition through that rabbit warren they call a warehouse and return... and Ifni save you if they lose a man; that'll immediately add $100 to the price.  :-DD

mnem
*eying the abandoned mule in the corner by the avalanche of old PA amplifiers*

"You gonna eat that...?"

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92868 on: June 25, 2021, 02:33:13 pm »

What I find amusing is the Panavise... like there's anywhere you could actually stick that suction cup base to and use it...  :-DD

mnem
*wonders idly if he would notice the absence of those delicious Lindström side cutters-es...* :o
I got one of those Panavise as well, dam thing is useless on my bench, replaced it with a vice which clamps on to the bench top in the end, and it takes up less space too, winner winner chicken dinner.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92869 on: June 25, 2021, 02:36:13 pm »
The opened drawers used as "more desk" are a mark of the true master.  :-+

I find that my 54645A fits perfectly across a drawer opened thusly...  :o

mnem
whaaaaat...?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92870 on: June 25, 2021, 02:44:13 pm »
Alternately, could get a cheap MOSFET Tab-welder (aboot $20-30 on eBay or less on banggood) ......
You've got me ready to pull the trigger on one .... as well as some nickel plated strip. Bloody enablers.   ;D
:palm: OK mnem, I've pulled the trigger on one, albeit a different model.   Happy now?

Ummm... it kindof defeats the purpose of me being "The Club Guinea Pig" on these cheap Chinese bits of gear if you don't at least wait until I test it and post pictures of me getting electrocuted...  :-DD

mnem
Don't try this at home, kids... :o
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 02:50:32 pm by mnementh »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92871 on: June 25, 2021, 02:48:17 pm »

Have you ever considered to contact Ravensburger if they want to make a jigsaw puzzle out of this picture?  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, exor, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92872 on: June 25, 2021, 02:51:58 pm »
That 555 in the USA at 1000 bucks in unknown condtion was a bit steep... this one might be better, just popped up in Frog land at noon :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/2003929489.htm

A 556 not 555, in mint condition, with its cart (the nice variety with extruded aluminium structure), and TURNED ON for a change !  ;D

CRT looks alright, and there is "something" on the screen, enough to witness some vertical and horizontal activity... so the fundamentals are all there.

350 Euros, ON OFFER ! I don't know, add 20% or so to convert that to Yankee bucks, say 400 USD ? Negotiate to 350 and it's yours. To be picked up near Paris.

Still too expensive for me and no love affair with the bulky 555/556 so I will pass, it's yours !  ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #92873 on: June 25, 2021, 02:52:08 pm »

mnem
I got one of those Panavise as well, dam thing is useless on my bench, replaced it with a vice which clamps on to the bench top in the end, and it takes up less space too, winner winner chicken dinner.

I do like my Proxxon vise. When I need it I'll grab it from my left side where it lives on a little sideboard.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92874 on: June 25, 2021, 03:05:06 pm »

mnem

I do like my Proxxon vise. When I need it I'll grab it from my left side where it lives on a little sideboard.

Yeah, they are fine on a perfectly flat and smooth surface, something my bench is not, air creeps in through the wood grain and releases the vacuum at precisely the wrong moment.
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf