Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14820665 times)

Robert763, Vince and 156 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95400 on: July 24, 2021, 01:32:08 am »
My bet is you forgot to install the library/footprint package(s).

What do you get when you
Code: [Select]
apt list --installed | grep kicad
from the command line?

I've edited my original message because i omitted a critical 'new', as in did you install the new librariy package(s) when you installed the new kicad package. The naming conventions changed if I remember correctly.

Ah OK uh..... not sure what this 'new' Kicad is about.

There is no "new" packages in the package manager. Just a few "Kicad" packages, so installed that, it's all that there is available...

See grep output below, and screenshot of the same from the package manager to get an overview of all Kicad pacakges that are available... no 'new' stuff, just "kicad'...

vincent@IBM-Aptiva:/usr/share/kicad/modules$ apt list --installed | grep kicad

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

kicad-demos/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.9+dfsg1-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-footprints/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.7-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-libraries/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.9+dfsg1-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-packages3d/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.7-1 all [installed]
kicad-symbols/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.9-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-templates/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.7-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad/hirsute,now 5.1.9+dfsg1-1 amd64 [installed]
vincent@IBM-Aptiva:/usr/share/kicad/modules$

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95401 on: July 24, 2021, 01:47:09 am »
Ah OK uh..... not sure what this 'new' Kicad is about.

New as in the updated version.

There is no "new" packages in the package manager. Just a few "Kicad" packages, so installed that, it's all that there is available...

See grep output below, and screenshot of the same from the package manager to get an overview of all Kicad pacakges that are available... no 'new' stuff, just "kicad'...

vincent@IBM-Aptiva:/usr/share/kicad/modules$ apt list --installed | grep kicad

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

kicad-demos/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.9+dfsg1-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-footprints/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.7-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-libraries/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.9+dfsg1-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-packages3d/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.7-1 all [installed]
kicad-symbols/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.9-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad-templates/hirsute,hirsute,now 5.1.7-1 all [installed,automatic]
kicad/hirsute,now 5.1.9+dfsg1-1 amd64 [installed]
vincent@IBM-Aptiva:/usr/share/kicad/modules$

Two things stick out:

1) You've an odd mixture of version numbers there, some are 5.1.9 some are 5.1.7.
2) The current release version is 5.1.10
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95402 on: July 24, 2021, 01:53:43 am »
Yeah I noticed this slight version mismatch but saw that so many times over the years in X or Y package that I did not think much of it.

'New'.... OK !  ;)

Indeed... just checked the download page on Kicad website, as you said 5.1.10 is out, and they have packages specifically for Ubuntu (I hope/assume they mean the latest 21.04 release like I do...), they host it on their own repository and give instructions to retrieve and install the package.... so I shall soo n try and do that see it that fixes my problem ! It's brute force but I don't care... I want quick result so I can get on with my project, I don't fancy digging into the innards of v5.1.9 just so I can call myself a Kicad "expert"  :--

Wish me luck !  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95403 on: July 24, 2021, 02:16:56 am »
OK it's 4AM but couldn't wait... I uninstalled 5.1.9 and installed 5.1.10 from Kicad'es own repository.  Judging by the package names, they are made for Ubuntu 21.04, same version as me so great, reduces the risk of problem...

Result ?  SAME EXACT PROBLEM !!!   |O

Version mismatch : look at the list of packages it installed.. we still have a mismatch on two of the packages, which are still 5.1.9 not 5.1.10.

What packages exactly ? the templates... who cares, and .. the.... the... FOOTPRINT package ! Here we go again !  :palm:

This thing is hopeless... I take a deep breath, stay calm Vince, stay calm... go to bed... might just work tomorrow morning who knows....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #95404 on: July 24, 2021, 04:22:33 am »
I have no real problem with Carlson and I usually enjoy his videos in spite of his repetition. I understand why because he realizes many beginners view his videos.

But him and I work together? No way, it would be like Clash of the Titans.  |O :o ;D

I don't get the hate for him myself. He has his own schtick, and I think it works. I enjoy him because he tends to work on older stuff that Shahriar (my other favorite youtuber) tends to not bother with.

...as to other posters talking about magic boxes...you can get into his patreon for $1 and get the schematics and all that. Build it yourself, test it, see if it's reproducible. Unlike a lot of the crap that passes for science these days, he actually does provide access to everything you need to reproduce his work.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95405 on: July 24, 2021, 04:45:52 am »
I don't hate him... I just can't listen to him talk without wanting to goad him with a cattleprod to move along to the point. He's like hollow-state's very own niche-market version of Ben Stein, only high on Xanax... |O

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a rhyme & meter mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95406 on: July 24, 2021, 06:40:00 am »
I don't hate him... I just can't listen to him talk without wanting to goad him with a cattleprod to move along to the point. He's like hollow-state's very own niche-market version of Ben Stein, only high on Xanax... |O

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a rhyme & meter mallet*

I know it is business, but I tend to get so zoomed out and disengaged when toobers are talking according to the Gospel Of Viewings and obviously trawl for revenue metric stimulants.  If you make videos about things because they are the most important things to you, and you let it show, and damn the torpedoes about what the algorithms will decide, then you make the videos I like to watch.

Or, you could get into info-mercials and have a stoned audience on cable TV...

Full disclosure: I work at a TV company. This might influence my standards for acceptable moving pictures. There are standards below which I simply switch to another video from the Swedish Tank Museum instead.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #95407 on: July 24, 2021, 07:01:17 am »
I don't hate him... I just can't listen to him talk without wanting to goad him with a cattleprod to move along to the point.

I watch his videos, but I bump the speed up to 1.25x. He's got good tips for noobs like me and his troubleshooting skills are excellent. I like when he plays with audio gear. The only person that can make RF interesting to me is Shahriar of The Signal Path, when he is in a mood to explain things to non-RF-people.

I also like FesZ Electronics since he has interesting topics, and also Kasyan TV since he has limited resources and yet is always making useful things. He's one of the few guys that can make SMPS interesting to me. And who doesn't love EEVblog? Can't get enough of Fundamentals Fridays. It was watching Dave that got me into electronics enough to start making monthly payments to ebay, AliExpress, and Digi-Key.

EDIT:

Still no word from USPS as to where my Digi-Key package is. USPS tracking is as useless as tits on a bull when they fail to deliver the package then mark it "Delivered" on their web site. Either that, or there is a very disappointed mail thief. "Ooh, it says 'electronics' on the package!"
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 07:16:28 am by duckduck »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95408 on: July 24, 2021, 08:05:20 am »
His attitude regarding his mystery leakage tester is what bothers me the most indeed... but nobody forces me to subscribe to his Patreon thing so this leakage tester shall remain forever a mystery. Plus, from an engineering perspective, even though I am no engineer.... baffles me. He claims it can test caps at super low voltages... but excuse me how can you KNOW FOR SURE how a cap or anything behaves under 600V... unless you actually SUBJECT it to said voltage ! 101.....   

Oh yes that's the one that gets me.

Prepared educational slide:

The dependent variable should be the y-axis :)

Good point! School boy error  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95409 on: July 24, 2021, 08:09:17 am »
I have no real problem with Carlson and I usually enjoy his videos in spite of his repetition. I understand why because he realizes many beginners view his videos.

But him and I work together? No way, it would be like Clash of the Titans.  |O :o ;D

I don't get the hate for him myself. He has his own schtick, and I think it works. I enjoy him because he tends to work on older stuff that Shahriar (my other favorite youtuber) tends to not bother with.

...as to other posters talking about magic boxes...you can get into his patreon for $1 and get the schematics and all that. Build it yourself, test it, see if it's reproducible. Unlike a lot of the crap that passes for science these days, he actually does provide access to everything you need to reproduce his work.

You can google the schematics as well.

It’s a poorly designed current source and DC amplifier glued to an LM3915. There is no absolute measurement or calibration possible, no repeatable measurements possible and depends vastly on supply voltage, component tolerances, manufacturing variations of parts, temperature and which way it’s pointing probably too. It’s a nope from me. I think waving some twigs at the DUT might be a better sell.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #95410 on: July 24, 2021, 08:28:46 am »
I like Mr. Carlson and enjoy his videos although I'm not into tubes, repair and restoration of old test equipment. His warnings and self-promotion surely are a little bit annoying if you watch all of his videos but he's done a consistent work during the past 7 years or so. He takes his time and explains his thought process to the viewer... His videos aren't Gen Z friendly (attention span of 60 seconds or less) and you have to adapt a little bit to his style in order to enjoy his content.

His recent video about the Tek scope collection was jaw-dropping. This has been collected over years, maybe decades, and I also doubt all units work and will be ever used. But it's very noble from him to save those scopes from the landfill and give them a place.

He (and of course other channels such as EEVBlog, TSP, NFM, ZenWizard, W2AEW etc.) has helped me to take a lot of "electronics repair anxiety" from me and has encouraged to learn more about interesting topics in electronics and mechanics.

On the other hand: you have to make a living from your work and for professional YouTubers, you need to spend money in order to generate new viewership content. You remember early EEVBlog videos? Dave started in his garage, now he's built up a huge community over the past decade. Maybe he can do a recap episode of his past 10 years  ;D

You don't have to like anybody, just treat them with respect like anyone else. Internet can be a shitplace if you want it to be  :(
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95411 on: July 24, 2021, 08:30:32 am »
I’m fine with treating people with respect who actually do the legwork, research, respect my attention and don’t try and sell you garbage. W2AEW is a winner.

Back on topic a bit, wishing UK people good eBay hunting this weekend as it’s 80% off listing fees so there might actually be things listed finally.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 08:32:30 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Bad_Driver, DH7DN

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #95412 on: July 24, 2021, 08:52:06 am »

Just redid the schematics from scratch for my little Kicad project, now that I ahve upgraded to the latest Ubuntu version, 21.04, hence Kicad 5.1.9.

Doing the schematics was painless, then I run ERC, does not complain too much, other than the ground symbol somehow annoying it, don't know why.

THEN I go to assign footprints to every component on the schematic before I can run PCBNew and ... and..... picture below. Oh no.... Kicad can't fucking find the footprint library, I am screwed, so much for upgrading to the latest and greatest !!!   :scared:

What now ? Spending days on Ubuntu and Kicad forums hoping it's a known problem and someone can take my hand to fix it promptly?!  |O

That // before the SMD filename doesnt look right for a unix path, change the config to use one forward slash.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95413 on: July 24, 2021, 09:07:20 am »

Just redid the schematics from scratch for my little Kicad project, now that I ahve upgraded to the latest Ubuntu version, 21.04, hence Kicad 5.1.9.

Doing the schematics was painless, then I run ERC, does not complain too much, other than the ground symbol somehow annoying it, don't know why.

THEN I go to assign footprints to every component on the schematic before I can run PCBNew and ... and..... picture below. Oh no.... Kicad can't fucking find the footprint library, I am screwed, so much for upgrading to the latest and greatest !!!   :scared:

What now ? Spending days on Ubuntu and Kicad forums hoping it's a known problem and someone can take my hand to fix it promptly?!  |O

That // before the SMD filename doesnt look right for a unix path, change the config to use one forward slash.

Linux/UNIX doesn't care, if it is / or // or //////

user@merkur:~$ cd /etc/systemd/
usermerkur:/etc/systemd$ pwd
/etc/systemd
user@merkur:/etc/systemd$ cd
user@merkur:~$ cd /etc//systemd/
user@merkur:/etc/systemd$ pwd
/etc/systemd
user@merkur:/etc/systemd$ cd
user@merkur:~$
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 09:08:57 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95414 on: July 24, 2021, 09:12:57 am »

....snip

His recent video about the Tek scope collection was jaw-dropping. This has been collected over years, maybe decades, and I also doubt all units work and will be ever used. But it's very noble from him to save those scopes from the landfill and give them a place.

....snip

I will give him credit for that because the alternative is not very pleasant.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95415 on: July 24, 2021, 09:13:47 am »
Poor transistors hiding in all that trash  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95416 on: July 24, 2021, 09:15:44 am »
Yea, probably a safe bet the vacuum tubes aren't in that pile.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #95417 on: July 24, 2021, 09:28:37 am »

....snip

....snip

I will give him credit for that because the alternative is not very pleasant.

The circle of life... my ass!  ;D

RIP
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95418 on: July 24, 2021, 09:42:04 am »
OK I just test my theory... I renamed the "Diode_SMD.pretty" directory (it's a dir in fact not a single file, my mitake) into "DiodeSSSSS_SMD.pretty".
Well I didn't want to mess with anything, so I didn't actually rename the directory, rather I created a symlink to it, with the spelling corrected.

Result : it works ! Well kinda. Now if I click on that category in the foot print browser, no error message anymore.. however it lists zero footprint inside that category ! So there must be something more going on.... it's getting out of hand, I give up.... will check the Kicad and Ubuntu forums to see if they are aware of it and an updated package is available... crossing fingers...

Looking at your screen print, all the other results have come up without the _ (underscore), have you tried omitting the underscore in the name and use a space instead? I could be a million miles away from the answer though as I know diddly squat about programming and command lines etc  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95419 on: July 24, 2021, 10:15:20 am »
Yea, probably a safe bet the vacuum tubes aren't in that pile.
Hmm, I'm not so sure, look at that chassis at the back, you can clearly see all screening cans are still in place. Now why would you take the care to replace all those cans after stripping out the vacuum tubes knowing it was scrap? Surely, you'd remove the cans, pull the tubs and chuck the cans away  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #95420 on: July 24, 2021, 10:37:40 am »
His attitude regarding his mystery leakage tester is what bothers me the most indeed... but nobody forces me to subscribe to his Patreon thing so this leakage tester shall remain forever a mystery. Plus, from an engineering perspective, even though I am no engineer.... baffles me. He claims it can test caps at super low voltages... but excuse me how can you KNOW FOR SURE how a cap or anything behaves under 600V... unless you actually SUBJECT it to said voltage ! 101.....   

Oh yes that's the one that gets me.

Prepared educational slide:

The dependent variable should be the y-axis :)

Good point! School boy error  :palm:

That's OK; you were just channeling Carlson :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95421 on: July 24, 2021, 10:38:34 am »
When it comes to Mr Carlson, I don't mind him, yes he does labour certain aspects and his delivery is kinda slow and repetitive, but does anyone here actually know for a fact that is not how he is in real life. I have come across people who are just like that when you're in a conversation with them directly. Yes, I can find him to be annoying at times, and sometimes I have been known to drift off to sleep while watching some of his videos, but that also happens with some other presenters.

In my mind, there is absolutely no doubt that he knows his stuff and IIRC he said in one of his videos that back in the day he used to work for TV broadcasting company servicing their transmitters, and he has infact got a transmitter in one of his labs.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95422 on: July 24, 2021, 01:13:04 pm »
Anyone in the UK looking for a small form factor scope https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YPXItLRdaCAZW63C/oscilloscope-vintage-service-equipment

is on for £30 or offer, in Suffolk.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95423 on: July 24, 2021, 01:18:18 pm »
Horribly engineered those are. I’d run a mile. Also selenium fucktifier in it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95424 on: July 24, 2021, 01:30:24 pm »
In my mind, there is absolutely no doubt that he knows his stuff

Indeed he is knowledgeable -- far more so than I am.

The twisting of SMD caps makes me nervous. It might work, but I'd rather not try it ;-)  Hmm. I've got a friend who's got one of those
-hp- scopes which is what I saw him perform that in.

The testing of HV caps with not HV is iMNSHO not conclusive, but probably a result of desperately not wanting ones name behind a dangerous product.  Understandable.

Engineering types can be quirky. Hell, I am. We should cut ourselves and those like us (here I'm claiming to be quirky, not pretending to be an engineer..) some slack.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf