Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406666 times)

Peter_O, EggertEnjoyer123 and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95750 on: July 27, 2021, 11:12:20 pm »
bd139 is back on the wagon so expect some bd-BOOM!!! moments any time now.  :-DD

Working on it  :-DD. In the mean time I leave you with an exploding 1F capacitor:

Yeeew. That's antisocial you know, some poor muppet's going to have to get the mop out and get all those spilled packets off the floor.  :)

:-DD

Actually that reminds me  >:D

That was fun. Now please do that again - and stick the capacitor into an orifice of choice of a person which owns/operates a car stereo system of the type which needs such capacitors! THANK YOU!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95751 on: July 27, 2021, 11:44:14 pm »

That was fun. Now please do that again - and stick the capacitor into an orifice of choice of a person which owns/operates a car stereo system of the type which needs such capacitors! THANK YOU!

You mean the distorted rythmic booming you hear from a mile away and the genre of the music is either rap or salsa?  ::)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95752 on: July 28, 2021, 01:21:00 am »
I think it's more the fact that no one wants the job now. I mean you can do an AWS cert and get paid more than a dentist for sitting on your arse at home all day and sounding like you know what you're doing  8) :-DD

Not everybody takes money as the most important thing. I once turned down a job that paid noticeably more, in favour of one I thought (correctly) was more interesting
I agree, I’ve always said that you’re spending a huge chunk of your life at work, so do something interesting that you’ll enjoy. Money isn’t the answer, as long as you can pay the bills, don’t live beyond your means, then life is good. I can honestly say that I wanted to go to work each day, only took about 10 days off sick in 52 years and the only time I didn’t enjoy my work as much was the last 2 years in my last job because I could see the nasty direction the company was taking. All driven by greed to support Living the dream life style by the owners. As they say, money is the root of all evil. >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95753 on: July 28, 2021, 01:43:57 am »
The saying is generally taken to be "The love of money is the root of all evil". I'm pretty sure they're wrong and it's just a symptom.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95754 on: July 28, 2021, 01:57:41 am »
Three Words  -   N H S

My inguinal hernia repair cost me exactly £0.00   That includes clinic appointments  before surgury, post op. medication and two followup visits to my GP   (they don't see us back in the hospital or clinic unless things go badly wrong)

There are no bills, no co-pays, no insurance forms, no visits from a friendly hospital administrator with clipboard asking about insurance and no surprise bills a month later.

Edit:  Almost forgot been so long since we lived in the USA:  No spending hours on hold with the insurance company.
Hmm, you're right, but watch this space BJ has other plans for the NHS that will mimic the USA because thats who he plans to sell it to. :palm: |O

Yeah, but the plan isn't to make us pay for it at the Doctor's/Hospital door. We'll never see a bill the way patients in the US do, because if you do that here within a few days the tourists will be buying little packets of "Ashes of Parliament" as souvenirs. It's all about deals behind closed doors that bleed off tax money into private hands.

When I was a kid, we still celebrated "Guy Fawkes Day" in Oz.

I thought it was to celebrate the fact that he tried to blow up the "Houses of Parliament".
I couldn't get my head around the celebration being because he failed! :D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95755 on: July 28, 2021, 03:59:49 am »
The saying is generally taken to be "The love of money is the root of all evil". I'm pretty sure they're wrong and it's just a symptom.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95756 on: July 28, 2021, 05:43:57 am »
I don't know where all those wild theories about not enough spring pressure and wire deformation come from. The technology is successfully in use for decades, these terminals from quality vendors usually have a huge collection of independent worldwide approvals and very reliable ratings. It's not rocket science. The WAGOs are even UL listed, and that's what you look for when you buy products for the little electrons usually, isn't it?

Other means of connection are good and valid as well, of course. Someone capable and experienced with screw terminals or twisting nuts will probably do just a fine job with those things as she or he would do with spring terminals.

Two extreme examples next to each other, just because I enjoyed doing it and describing it, to get my head off work.

Left: Will last for a hundred years if you ask me, if you keep it away from water and amateurs.

Right: Home handyman's proudest hour. Still telling his grandkids how he himself has proudly shown those wires for the electrons their place! Doesn't have weak writs at all! And knows that you don't stop twisting before the thing you're working on starts to squeal. Doesn't know nor care about it being completely dry (no contact grease applied, of course). Then another turn... Will glow soon. Will break down at some point in the future. Congratulations on a job well done.

Installations like the right one have been done by private people and even some professionals in east germany quite often before the Wende and even after. You regularly find it melted down even under moderate load. That's why Aluminium is now forbidden for new installations for diameters <16mm².

Aluminium is delicate. It tells you a lot about quality of work and quality of material. Because unlike copper, it doesn't forgive, it doesn't forget, and it will put your house on fire if you don't know what you're doing. :-)

Where the wire deformation business came from was conversations with other engineers who knew a helluva lot more than me who took the time to explain it; the actual contact surface of a round solid copper wire is small. Flattening it, even a few thou, under a screw greatly increases the contact area.

I'm sorry; I don't agree with your assessment of WAGO's longevity. Decades of success with a new technology means precisely dick. We have decades of experience with glyphosates and neonicotinids, and while they do create more food per acre, they're turning the global food supply into a carcinogenic nightmare. But hey, the guys Monsanto put in charge of the US EPA say they don't cause cancer, so we can all sleep safe now...  :palm:

Like I said; an honest skeptic.

The one value you did get across, however... I cannae argue. A moron can likely install those and get results which are as safe someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I still remain unconvinced that is a better end-product than what can be produced by someone who knows how to use Ox-Gard and screw terminals, however.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95757 on: July 28, 2021, 05:48:30 am »
rant
 :palm:

Last weekend, we had a few thousand muppets in Sydney and Melbourne (that I know of) protest against the lockdowns.  Talk about selfish idiots.  We ALLLLLLL have the same frustrations about the restrictions - but most of us choose to do what we can to help make the issue diminish.

AND NOW I've heard that there are more protests planned for next weekend?!!!!  Are you kidding me?

At this rate, we're not getting out of lockdown this side of Christmas.    :rant:

The only thing that made me smile in all this was, I have been told, there were thousands of calls to our Police "Crimestoppers" line to dob in a lot of those protesters.  However, the thought of extra time under lockdown soon wiped that smile right off my face.

/rant

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, FransW

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95758 on: July 28, 2021, 06:05:55 am »
A moron can likely install those and get results which are as safe someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I am a moron.

And I am not offended. You did not call me a moron. I have done my introspection, and my moronity is significant enough compared to the skillset required in a lot of practical work disciplines, that I will need the best of circumstances to even approach acceptable finish and quality.

TE: I just received the manual for my 5440 scope. Convinced the german seller that he indeed wanted to ship it to me. Because I found that having the paper manual and the chinesium solder sucker were the two things that made it possible to recap the Studer mixer. I could have done it with my soldering iron and scans of the manual (the Internet Archive has the manual, very nicely scanned, by the way) but that would probably have killed something and it would have taken ages.

Likewise, I find that when I do rewires at home, the Wagos help me achieve fit and finish that the wire nuts would not give. The nuts we have here must be discarded in most cases when changing the wiring in them. So I had to get something new, anyway. And it is a true upgrade.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #95759 on: July 28, 2021, 06:13:10 am »

You mean the distorted rythmic booming you hear from a mile away and the genre of the music is either rap or salsa?  ::)

There's a new genre here -- the bluetooth connected phone! Just last night I was out to check that the garage was closed up for night, and there was a strange booming sound from down the street. One of the neighbours had just arrived home and decided to finish their phone call before getting out of the car. Loud, that was.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95760 on: July 28, 2021, 06:19:19 am »
I find it rather funny when you come across a vehicle that you can feel approaching only to hear all the body panels flexing and buzzing.

No mate - that isn't a cool new effect pedal you can hear, it's your boot (trunk) lid flapping HARD!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #95761 on: July 28, 2021, 06:35:01 am »
rant

Last weekend, we had a few thousand muppets in Sydney and Melbourne (that I know of) protest against the lockdowns.  Talk about selfish idiots.  We ALLLLLLL have the same frustrations about the restrictions - but most of us choose to do what we can to help make the issue diminish.

AND NOW I've heard that there are more protests planned for next weekend?!!!!  Are you kidding me?

At this rate, we're not getting out of lockdown this side of Christmas.    :rant:

The only thing that made me smile in all this was, I have been told, there were thousands of calls to our Police "Crimestoppers" line to dob in a lot of those protesters.  However, the thought of extra time under lockdown soon wiped that smile right off my face.

/rant

Should all be fined and online instigators jailed no excuses for the morons :-- At least we are back to a bit more freedom here but still the local muppets deserve the same treatment for the local protests.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95762 on: July 28, 2021, 07:00:40 am »
... and online instigators jailed

I have no problems with that!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95763 on: July 28, 2021, 07:44:07 am »

Well I was attempting to quote from Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon"  :popcorn:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95764 on: July 28, 2021, 07:44:19 am »

Luckily in Germany it is extremely unlikely that you will hear salsa coming from a loud car stereo. Rap maybe, but techno is much more likely.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #95765 on: July 28, 2021, 07:47:45 am »
rant

/rant

Should all be fined and online instigators jailed no excuses for the morons :-- At least we are back to a bit more freedom here but still the local muppets deserve the same treatment for the local protests.
We are sure to see more of this as the nonbelievers peddle their misguided views on social media instead of knuckling down and keeping each other safe for a while yet.
Want any proof of how not to do it just look at Fiji.  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95766 on: July 28, 2021, 07:53:17 am »

Haha, just caught up with your post, I've just posted the same reply....
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95767 on: July 28, 2021, 08:06:10 am »
That's why I always read first, get caught up, then reply.  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95768 on: July 28, 2021, 08:09:11 am »
I don't know where all those wild theories about not enough spring pressure and wire deformation come from. The technology is successfully in use for decades, these terminals from quality vendors usually have a huge collection of independent worldwide approvals and very reliable ratings. It's not rocket science. The WAGOs are even UL listed, and that's what you look for when you buy products for the little electrons usually, isn't it?

Other means of connection are good and valid as well, of course. Someone capable and experienced with screw terminals or twisting nuts will probably do just a fine job with those things as she or he would do with spring terminals.

Two extreme examples next to each other, just because I enjoyed doing it and describing it, to get my head off work.

Left: Will last for a hundred years if you ask me, if you keep it away from water and amateurs.

Right: Home handyman's proudest hour. Still telling his grandkids how he himself has proudly shown those wires for the electrons their place! Doesn't have weak writs at all! And knows that you don't stop twisting before the thing you're working on starts to squeal. Doesn't know nor care about it being completely dry (no contact grease applied, of course). Then another turn... Will glow soon. Will break down at some point in the future. Congratulations on a job well done.

Installations like the right one have been done by private people and even some professionals in east germany quite often before the Wende and even after. You regularly find it melted down even under moderate load. That's why Aluminium is now forbidden for new installations for diameters <16mm².

Aluminium is delicate. It tells you a lot about quality of work and quality of material. Because unlike copper, it doesn't forgive, it doesn't forget, and it will put your house on fire if you don't know what you're doing. :-)

Where the wire deformation business came from was conversations with other engineers who knew a helluva lot more than me who took the time to explain it; the actual contact surface of a round solid copper wire is small. Flattening it, even a few thou, under a screw greatly increases the contact area.

I'm sorry; I don't agree with your assessment of WAGO's longevity. Decades of success with a new technology means precisely dick. We have decades of experience with glyphosates and neonicotinids, and while they do create more food per acre, they're turning the global food supply into a carcinogenic nightmare. But hey, the guys Monsanto put in charge of the US EPA say they don't cause cancer, so we can all sleep safe now...  :palm:

Like I said; an honest skeptic.

The one value you did get across, however... I cannae argue. A moron can likely install those and get results which are as safe someone who actually knows what they're doing.

I still remain unconvinced that is a better end-product than what can be produced by someone who knows how to use Ox-Gard and screw terminals, however.

mnem
 :popcorn:
Aluminium is a terrible material to use for cables and I've never used anything other than Copper. Aluminium deforms easy when pressure is applied and also IIRC from College days, is far more prone to the effect that AC has of slowly backing off the terminal screws over a period of time and starting a fire as a result of poor contact.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:11:24 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95769 on: July 28, 2021, 08:10:45 am »
That's why I always read first, get caught up, then reply.  ;D
Thats OK, double posting just re-enforces the message  ;D

Even catching up first, then replying is not foolproof either  >:D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:13:31 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #95770 on: July 28, 2021, 08:11:56 am »
I think it's more the fact that no one wants the job now. I mean you can do an AWS cert and get paid more than a dentist for sitting on your arse at home all day and sounding like you know what you're doing  8) :-DD

Not everybody takes money as the most important thing. I once turned down a job that paid noticeably more, in favour of one I thought (correctly) was more interesting

You’re right there but it’s not much fun poking around inside people’s faces. A dentist told me that once.

No surprises there! Much like being a commercial pilot, or...

I was lucky in that I enjoyed (almost) all my jobs.

Put some offers on stuff because I’m bored. Let’s see if they bite…

Good luck; I'm surprised you found anything!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95771 on: July 28, 2021, 08:21:50 am »
rant

/rant
Totally agree, these bloody muppets don't care about anybody else, its all about (in their eyes) me, me, me, they are total shits and as long as nobody shuts down their platforms, we will continue to get this virus springing up again and again. Authorities need to shut these maroons up now and social media sites need to be vetting their users and anyone peddling these kinds of theories etc should have their accounts blocked.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95772 on: July 28, 2021, 08:36:30 am »

You’re right there but it’s not much fun poking around inside people’s faces. A dentist told me that once.

No surprises there! Much like being a commercial pilot, or...

I was lucky in that I enjoyed (almost) all my jobs.

Yes. A friend of mine is a commercial pilot or “plane supervisor” as he calls his job now. He was a tube driver before that.

I am loving my job today. I’m in a post vaccine haze and headache whilst sitting on a call with an ISO 27001 auditor while everyone talks around the bus sized holes in the processes  :scared:

Put some offers on stuff because I’m bored. Let’s see if they bite…

Good luck; I'm surprised you found anything!

Found a few things. All offers rejected  >:(

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #95773 on: July 28, 2021, 08:48:00 am »

Totally agree, these bloody muppets don't care about anybody else, its all about (in their eyes) me, me, me, they are total shits and as long as nobody shuts down their platforms, we will continue to get this virus springing up again and again. Authorities need to shut these maroons up now and social media sites need to be vetting their users and anyone peddling these kinds of theories etc should have their accounts blocked.

And how would that policy affect this thread and its users?

Make no mistake: I am as concerned about the spread of stupid as anyone and it of course has become easier with the Internet (just like the Internet has made long discussions on TE possible) but trying to stop stupidity by putting a lid on the festering is not going to help. It needs stopping at the core by getting people convinced about the right way, not telling them to shut up. 

This is a hard problem. 

And it becomes much harder when there is ample evidence of state-level actors using the situation (as they do with any situation) to further distrust in traditional authorities in countries they feel could do with some worse social contract quality.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95774 on: July 28, 2021, 08:53:01 am »
USPS is a giant fail. Again, and as usual. There's no way this will be delivered today when it didn't leave the Newark, NJ distribution center last night. Not the first time a package sits without moving for several days at that same center. Springfield, Masshole is just as bad.  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf