Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14879536 times)

Robert763, K0ELB and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #95875 on: July 29, 2021, 12:32:57 pm »
I ordered one of these flashlights from BangemGood https://www.banggood.com/XANES-XHP50-1800lm-Powerful-Long-Range-Zoomable-Flashlight-Kit-with-18650-Li-ion-Battery-USB-Rechargeable-and-Power-Display-Mini-Torch-Focus-Adjustable-Tactical-Light-p-1749466.html?cur_warehouse=CN on the 22nd July. They processed, packed and shipped it within 2 hours from their China warehouse and this morning it arrived at my very local delivery office, I'm very impressed with that kind of speed, its travelled thousands of miles in the same time it often takes for stuff ordered from within the UK. Now the postman has not yet been, will he come today and more important if he does, will he have this flashlight with him (actually I say him, it might be the rather cute postlady that comes sometimes), or will it lounge at the delivery office for a few days?

Good luck with that. I just chargebacked Aliexpress because two orders got closed immediately and no refund issued. Their customer support is impossible to get to as well.

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95876 on: July 29, 2021, 12:36:03 pm »
I ordered one of these flashlights from BangemGood https://www.banggood.com/XANES-XHP50-1800lm-Powerful-Long-Range-Zoomable-Flashlight-Kit-with-18650-Li-ion-Battery-USB-Rechargeable-and-Power-Display-Mini-Torch-Focus-Adjustable-Tactical-Light-p-1749466.html?cur_warehouse=CN on the 22nd July. They processed, packed and shipped it within 2 hours from their China warehouse and this morning it arrived at my very local delivery office, I'm very impressed with that kind of speed, its travelled thousands of miles in the same time it often takes for stuff ordered from within the UK. Now the postman has not yet been, will he come today and more important if he does, will he have this flashlight with him (actually I say him, it might be the rather cute postlady that comes sometimes), or will it lounge at the delivery office for a few days?

My money is on "lounge at the delivery office for a few days"!  :)

My deliveries at the moment: Ordered a 121GW from Dave - Made it from Australia to Germany in less than a week. Speakers ordered (on the same day) from a shop that I could drive to in 40 minutes... Still waiting.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:40:24 pm by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95877 on: July 29, 2021, 12:40:54 pm »
Same area of the North Island and it sticks in my memory as I have been on the tugging end in much younger times. Now I am older and wiser I will have mine on a plate  >:D

;D
At age 13 and in the middle of lambing pop had some health issues so as eldest I had to do the lambing beat and although had watched pop lots of times it was my turn to get my hands dirty.
Then a few days later ma said we were out of meat and handed me the knife........ :scared:
Tell that to modern kids and they would go and mug the butcher!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95878 on: July 29, 2021, 12:45:08 pm »
Oh guess what I've gone and done. I'm straight out honest with this one - do your worst  :-DD

Couldn't resist it. Was 70 quid delivered and is apparently fully working. Ex MoD manufactured with 1983 label so late model without some of the horrible problems of earlier ones. Hopefully it'll survive whatever packaging they come up with. One cracked knob and slightly bent intensity pot (standard issue Tek problems) but sure I can resolve those issues.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95879 on: July 29, 2021, 12:51:37 pm »
Just know we are watching - with that "knowing" look.

Not a bad deal.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95880 on: July 29, 2021, 12:56:21 pm »
Oh guess what I've gone and done. I'm straight out honest with this one - do your worst  :-DD

Couldn't resist it. Was 70 quid delivered and is apparently fully working. Ex MoD manufactured with 1983 label so late model without some of the horrible problems of earlier ones. Hopefully it'll survive whatever packaging they come up with. One cracked knob and slightly bent intensity pot (standard issue Tek problems) but sure I can resolve those issues.

Mark me not surprised. I knew you would eventually break down.  :-DD

Edit...I think the intensity pot is the same in the 465 (haven't checked) so if you need one let me know.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 12:59:23 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #95881 on: July 29, 2021, 01:27:05 pm »

Nice!  good Catch
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95882 on: July 29, 2021, 01:37:04 pm »

I say, crikey chaps, you won't believe it. Old BD has sworn off something completely, waited a bit, and only gone off and done it again. Next thing you know he'll be back on 2m with the pikeys.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95883 on: July 29, 2021, 01:43:57 pm »
So Larry Minor and his mum decide to go for a road trip in his 8 wheeler to deliver a mates tractor 2.5 hrs away then backload with milk powder for calves that arrive next week.

So dad can you keep an eye on that cow that's about to calve and get the 7 cattle into the yards for the truck that's to collect them early arvo......and then they pinched the dog that just loves truck rides !  ::)

So the day went like this.....calve the furking cow....truck arrived 1.5 hrs early and so picture tautech having to be the furking dog....and under pressure with the truckie wondering what he'd struck.

Anyways all done and attached is some little four footed proof of the mornings events.  :phew:
Time for a lie down..........

Why does the image of "Footrot Flats" come to mind?
:)
I've been called lots of things in my time but never Wal.......Wally maybe and some unprintable names......

Always wanted a cat that was worthy of being named Horse !

Tribute to Murray Ball the creator of Footrot Flats:
https://youtu.be/43nCDIZD0tc

Meet the late Boot, terror of the local rodents and any dog under 100kg that was stupid enough to walk on his side of the street.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95884 on: July 29, 2021, 01:45:05 pm »

I say, crikey chaps, you won't believe it. Old BD has sworn off something completely, waited a bit, and only gone off and done it again. Next thing you know he'll be back on 2m with the pikeys.

And he'll bring home a redhead who isn't a lesbian.  :P :P :-DD
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:35:10 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95885 on: July 29, 2021, 01:51:46 pm »
If only….  :-DD

Edit: ok did it again. Another project. This one is apparently fully working as well and is shown working with resistor + battery. Need to bulk out a mouser basket so the mains filter does the job  :-DD.

Today getting expensive.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 02:08:31 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, mansaxel, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95886 on: July 29, 2021, 02:31:37 pm »
or will it lounge at the delivery office for a few days?

Of course it will.

Orders I'm waiting for:

An electrics order from German Eibabo, sent from their warehouse in .DE yesterday. Postnord claim that I'll be able to get it tomorrow, as they've got it in Malmö which is the first stop in-country for goods from Germany.

Pair of boots from a protective gear store. Ordered today, and they claim 2 to 6 days.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #95887 on: July 29, 2021, 02:36:40 pm »
If only….  :-DD

Edit: ok did it again. Another project. This one is apparently fully working as well and is shown working with resistor + battery. Need to bulk out a mouser basket so the mains filter does the job  :-DD.

Today getting expensive.

Nice set of poking and clamping tools coming along. And, since it apparently has a dedicated container, let's hope it's got a dedicated space for the BS1363 Foot-Destroyer(tm).

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95888 on: July 29, 2021, 02:42:34 pm »
Dana 5100 DMM update.

I went back and checked the power supply voltages again, this time with my Digimess DM200 (Mastech M9803).  Ripple on the input sides of all the voltage regulators is out of spec.   I suspected the AN-888s wasn't very good on the mV AC range, but I didn't realise just how useless it is.   

New caps on the way. I really doubt this is enough to stop the meter from working, but who knows.   Might as well do this now instead of later.

All voltages referenced to Mecca(TP4).   I'm not sure if that EE joke is in bad taste or really bad taste.   

The real joke is where they put TP4.  I had to use tweezers to get the lead onto the test point.      Oh the days before everyone had 3D cad  integrated into the design process.

Ready to test.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:10:16 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #95889 on: July 29, 2021, 02:59:16 pm »
A screen grab from a recent video of Dave's...

Anybody see what I saw?

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #95890 on: July 29, 2021, 03:20:30 pm »

Anybody see what I saw?

Outragous! Who would still use a chalkboard in an electronics lab environment these days! Can't he think about the children dust on poor little PCBs and components! Irresponsible.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #95891 on: July 29, 2021, 03:24:42 pm »

Anybody see what I saw?

:-// :-// :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95892 on: July 29, 2021, 03:29:15 pm »

Anybody see what I saw?

Defpom?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95893 on: July 29, 2021, 03:33:26 pm »
Dana 5100 DMM update.

I went back and checked the power supply voltages again, this time with my Digimess DM200 (Mastech M9803).  Ripple on the input sides of all the voltage regulators is out of spec.   I suspected the AN-888s wasn't very good on the mV AC range, but I didn't realise just how useless it is.   

New caps on the way. I really doubt this is enough to stop the meter from working, but who knows.   Might as well do this now instead of later.

All voltages referenced to Mecca(TP4).   I'm not sure if that EE joke is in bad taste or really bad taste.   

I wouldn't place too much faith that the Mastech is giving you good readings on AC mV either.  ::) Don't you have an analog scope or DSO where you could check it?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #95894 on: July 29, 2021, 03:38:42 pm »
RIP Dusty Hill   :(

Huh? What am I missing here?  :-//

The link to the YT video from ZZ Top - Sharp dressed man, which I've combined with the picture of a sharp dressed TEA fellow. :)

Cerebus is gonna pop in here any minute and be all like:

"A wake for me...?  Oh, no... not again..." :palm:

mnem
"Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated anticipated." ~Cerebus, The Toaster Incident

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:40:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95895 on: July 29, 2021, 03:43:07 pm »
I added this topic as a sticky, it's long overdue!

Yay!  :-+

We are getting famous! We are sticky now!

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Famous or infamous?   :P :-DD

There is a difference?  :o   ;D

"Any Press is GOOD Press."

mnem
*juicy*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #95896 on: July 29, 2021, 03:49:36 pm »
Dana 5100 DMM update.

I wouldn't place too much faith that the Mastech is giving you good readings on AC mV either.  ::) Don't you have an analog scope or DSO where you could check it?

I can't let this unwarranted Mastech bashing go unchallenged.

These readings are in parallel and of a 440Hz sine wave out of my TTi TG2511. No warm up time, because I was already hot under the collar from the disparaging remark.   :box:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Andrew_Debbie

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95897 on: July 29, 2021, 03:50:42 pm »

Anybody see what I saw?

YobToob Silver PLAY button with nixies on the wall...?

mnem
Really...? I took him that long...?

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:57:14 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #95898 on: July 29, 2021, 03:59:04 pm »

I can't let this unwarranted Mastech bashing go unchallenged.

Gee...chill out. It's not like I'm blowing smoke up your kilt or pissing in your blood pudding.  :P :P :P :-DD

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95899 on: July 29, 2021, 04:16:53 pm »

I have a Hantek DSO2D10  on the way.  Should be here early next week.          Still might not be good enough on AC mV.     I really should buy that 2445A in Reddich for such things.

When we moved to the UK, I sold allof my test equiptment except for a Beckman Tech 310.  I also kept a Weller WTCP station. Sold or gave away all of my parts. I gave away my bench.  It was a really nice one.  Miss it.     I bought it when the company I was working for was aquired  and sold a lot of things for next to nothing.

I've only recently restarted hobby level electronics.       Most of what I have now I use for work even though it is my personal equptment. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf