Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14891773 times)

Jouko and 189 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #96075 on: July 31, 2021, 04:32:16 pm »

mnem
"Dead parents you say...? This can be arranged..."

Would sacrificing them to Odin fall under the religious freedom category ?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96076 on: July 31, 2021, 06:06:27 pm »
Thanks for that link, it really helped narrow down a suitable motherboard for my needs.

Having spent some time looking at various bits, I'm currently thinking of the following;
Ryzen 3700X CPU & B550 ATX Motherboard (either Gigabyte Gaming X V2 or ASUS Prime Plus),
500 GB M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD and 2x8GB RAM.
Finally a replacement Soundblaster card, as mine is to old to fit the newer slots and I'm keeping the existing case, GPU, PSU, DVD, etc.

Anyone know if I can use the existing Win 10 OEM license, or will I have to buy another?

David

I have had some bad experiences with Gigabyte motherboards.  That is anecdotal, so does not count for much.

Your memory strategy is the same as what I have done for the family computer here.

What are your needs for a sound card?  Maybe the sound capability onboard the motherboard will be good enough for most uses...

I have used the Win7+ upgrade method to get to Windows 10.
I have also installed Windows10 and entered a Win7 licence code.
For SWMBO mother's computer, I changed CPU, MB, PSU and SSD all at once without it complaining that it was no longer the same computer...

Brand of MB is a bit irrelevant seems all of the Top names have produced their share or Turkey's so check out some competent reviews before pulling the trigger.

Gigabyte B450 running a Ryzen 3700X happily now for 2 years I guess and another mini ITX Gigabyte on a 2400G both faultless. As I was buying the 3700X very close to release date I looked at the then new MB's and decided there was little to be gained at the time and I could always upgrade the MB later if I wanted to.

Both systems are running suspect keys from here but nil issues with either https://www.urcdkey.com/microsoft-windows-10-pro-oem-global-cd-key-email-only.html?sc_src=email_2357353&sc_lid=132671636&sc_uid=X9hpO6KAgG&sc_llid=46132&sc_eh=26f3952bc72565c81#EDMdeals

The Gigabyte was a little cheaper than the Asus when I posted that, but as Scan have now upped the price of the Ryzen 3700X, I've shopped around and gone for the Asus instead.
My current machine has been running a Gigabyte motherboard since 2008 without any problems and my brothers machine has for about 10 years too, guess it's just pot luck if you end up with a bad one or not, regardless of manufacturer.  :-//

David: the Asus Prime usually have decent VRMs. I would go with those.
Soundblaster ? What do you want with it ?
If you want to have a decent sound card then go for one of those Asus thingies.
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Sound-Cards/Hi-Fi/Essence_STX_II_71/

like the one I posted the link for.
I can recommend it.

It would have mainly been for occasional use of the line in/recording & software that came with it. I guess it probably isn't necessary if the onboard sound is OK, anyway you've saved me wasting £26ish on the Soundblaster card.  :-+
I do have to say that Asus card looks really nice and has decent connectors too, none of those crap 3.5mm jacks that the old Soundblaster has.  :-+

Thanks for all the comments, I've now ordered what I need, hopefully the current setup will last until the work shutdown in two weeks time and I'll have enough time to build it.
The Win 7 license I have is the one I bought when I replaced the HDD's in 2014, it had XP before, hopefully it'll still work (old machine is Intel based).

David
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:09:03 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96077 on: July 31, 2021, 06:33:53 pm »
If it doesn’t work, PM me. I have a spare windows 10 key.

I’m not googling up a hill.

Turn your effin phone off, and be some where other than cyberspace!

But if he wasn't in cyberspace he couldn't read your advice to not be in cyberspace.  :-DD

I was using OSMaps. Plus how am I supposed to get TE bargains if I don’t keep checking.

Back home now. Got pissed on all day.

Obligatory photo of a wet trig point.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 06:35:47 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #96078 on: July 31, 2021, 06:49:58 pm »
Proper OS maps fold up.

Discord is warming up, should be at operating temperature soon.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96079 on: July 31, 2021, 06:56:00 pm »
Ahh yes wrestling a damp OS map in the middle of a storm. Fuck that game. Got phone as primary map (works entirely offline), dedicated GPS as secondary and brain as tertiary. I will only take a paper map on high risk routes.

Be on discord after a shower  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #96080 on: July 31, 2021, 07:17:47 pm »
Ahh yes wrestling a damp OS map in the middle of a storm. Fuck that game. Got phone as primary map (works entirely offline), dedicated GPS as secondary and brain as tertiary. I will only take a paper map on high risk routes.

Last long walk we took was on snippets of the OS equivalent map, printed on A4 sheets from the web site. And some phone GPS for reference.

I like having a paper map and a compass.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #96081 on: July 31, 2021, 07:23:49 pm »

I use the plasticised ones, and a decent compass. Fuck you, weather! And I NEVER have to worry about my phone battery or whether there's a mast close enough.   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96082 on: July 31, 2021, 07:50:13 pm »

This also allows me freedom to partake of one of my favorite European-style breakfasts; pancakes/waffles/crepes with fruit preserves and ham & cheese. In this case, a local producer of strawberry preserves which sweet confection is very reminiscent of the strawberry jam my grandmother used to make from scratch.

I guess France is not part of Europe then ?!  :-//

I shiver at the thought of being forced to eat that for breakfast  :o
Ham and cheese, really ?!  :scared:
Looks more like something my British cousins would appreciate (pan cakes are a British thing too).
Had a room mate in England, a local, when I was studying over there. He used to cook sausages and bacon and eggs and a full can of red beans for breakfast ! I guess he wanted to die of a very young age of a heart attack. Don't remember him eating cheese though. That said I left England just 20 years ago, so habits in the UK might changed a little, or maybe he did and I just fail to recollect, I don't know... 20 years is a long time, I am a human not a computer...
Just looking at him preparing his "meal" had me uncomfortable....  :-[

"European style" breakfast means squat... there are many countries in Europe, each with their own habits... if someone asked me to eat that I would rather punch him in the nose and get into trouble that swallow the stuff  ! 

That being said, not everything is to be discarded on your menu... the local strawberry jam is definitely something we would heat for B/F over here, sounds good to me !  :D :D  ... assuming they are good strawberries of course... tasty and not grown on chemicals...

Anyway I can say anything I want because you are all on discord so nobody's here to read this !  :-DD

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 07:54:13 pm by Vince »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96083 on: July 31, 2021, 08:43:44 pm »
Pancakes? I'd rather eat them than crepe.  :)

After that unwarranted attack on the Great Full English breakfast (BTW the whole cold meat and cheese is a Dutch/German/Middle-Europe thing, you'd never get served that in the UK) I shall leave the last word to Rowan Atkinson and Howard Goodall:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96084 on: July 31, 2021, 08:58:51 pm »
Pancakes? I'd rather eat them than crepe.  :)

Of course you do, you are English ! ;D

As for crêpes, it depends... all the ones you buy ready made, sealed in the supermarket are crap. You have to eat them within an hour max of cooking them, and then it depends who makes them...  every one here says it's dead easy to make them, that anyone can make them.... then how comes I have never come across two crêpes that look and taste the same ?! As for me I tried a few times and never managed to do something I would be ecstatic about eating... so no, I don't believe it's "that' easy to get right....  LUCKILY, every thursday at the super market I go to, they have a lovely girl come and make crêpes in front of you, all day long... and they are very good, 60 cents a piece. Takes me barely 10 minutes to get back home, so they are still very fresh when I get to eat them... mmm....  :D
Anything else is a bit of a waste of money...

After that unwarranted attack on the Great Full English breakfast

It's not UNwarranted ! Eating all that bacon every morning will make a huge mess of your heart that might not even be fixable...

If I really wanted to attack... there would be a much easier target ..... The MARMITE !!!   Just the smell of it had me puke ! Seeing people actually not only EATING the stuff,  but even seemingly highly ENJOYING IT..... has me baffled !! :scared:

OK, time to play the good cop now : I remember quite liking the muffins, with some (home made) strawberry jam in the morning.

(BTW the whole cold meat and cheese is a Dutch/German/Middle-Europe thing, you'd never get served that in the UK)

Ah thanks, so I was not crazy then, it didn't feel too British to me....

I shall leave the last word to Rowan Atkinson and Howard Goodall:

Have to say I agree with that video regarding the bidet ! Thank goodness these things are a thing of the past... you won't see one unless you just bought the 100 year old house from grand ma that just died. No new house will ever have that horrible thing... it would adversely affect the resale value of the house way too much !  :-DD

As for the French Football team... I hate football and these guys are just arrogant and so full of themselves, how they get paid millions is beyond me !  :-//

« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:05:14 pm by Vince »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #96085 on: July 31, 2021, 09:05:24 pm »
Ahh yes wrestling a damp OS map in the middle of a storm.

Better than trying to use a computer in a storm. Probably more difficult than the computer experience my daughter just had: trying to get a morphine prescription (for someone else) fufilled after hours, when the entire UK prescribing system is down.

Try the low appropriate tech solution.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96086 on: July 31, 2021, 09:31:16 pm »
Tripped over this. In line with the collections of display technologies that we all have lurking  :-DD

Electrolume is very cool. I keep wanting to build something with it. Apollo CM style.

There is vintage TEA out there with Electrolume, here is one I acquired last year, dates from approx 1967 judging by component codes.

Some on here will not like them due to whine from the HV inverter, the display segments are switched by SCR's.

David
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 09:36:14 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96087 on: July 31, 2021, 09:45:29 pm »

This day has been chosen by SWMBO to celebrate the annum of my arrival on this spinning ball of dirt; as a result I am taking the day off from counting calories/carbs that I may fully enjoy my loaded carrot-cake. This also allows me freedom to partake of one of my favorite European-style breakfasts; pancakes/waffles/crepes with fruit preserves and ham & cheese. In this case, a local producer of strawberry preserves which sweet confection is very reminiscent of the strawberry jam my grandmother used to make from scratch.

I'm 10 years old again and all is right with the world, if only for this moment... ;)

mnem
*soft sigh, remembering family and friends long gone*
Happy Birthday Mnem, look like you're already having a good one, good luck to you buddy.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96088 on: July 31, 2021, 09:50:54 pm »
Proper OS maps fold up.

Discord is warming up, should be at operating temperature soon.

Oh bugger, I won't be on tonight, other things keep getting in the way  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #96089 on: July 31, 2021, 09:53:17 pm »
Oh good lord... the shitstorm I set off, then pissed off to the Discord! :-DD

mnem
*pisses off to get a Whopper Combo, completely ignoring all the disdainful looks* >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96090 on: July 31, 2021, 10:01:59 pm »
A whooper combo, if it's anything like what Google shows me it is...  not my cup of TEA  ;D but at least I could eat it, unlike ham/cheese at B/F, or Marmite... oh my God Marmite... to this day I don't yet even know what it's made of, and I am very afraid of finding out... I think it's best not to know....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96091 on: July 31, 2021, 10:13:10 pm »
A whooper combo, if it's anything like what Google shows me it is...  not my cup of TEA  ;D but at least I could eat it, unlike ham/cheese at B/F, or Marmite... oh my God Marmite... to this day I don't yet even know what it's made of, and I am very afraid of finding out... I think it's best not to know....
Nothing at all wrong with Marmite, it's lovely really, trust me, just not at breakfast though. The only time I have bacon for breakfast is if I'm staying in a hotel or Christmas Day otherwise I just have some fresh grapes, covered by tropical fruit granola and cold milk poured over the top, heavenly.

I always thought that crepes and pancakes were essentially the same thing and can be eaten with either a savoury or sweet topping, no? Don't even get me started on frogs legs or escargot  ::) >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #96092 on: July 31, 2021, 10:15:32 pm »
Nothing at all wrong with Marmite, it's lovely really, trust me, just not at breakfast though. The only time I have bacon for breakfast is if I'm staying in a hotel or Christmas Day otherwise I just have some fresh grapes, covered by tropical fruit granola and cold milk poured over the top, heavenly.

I always thought that crepes and pancakes were essentially the same thing and can be eaten with either a savoury or sweet topping, no? Don't even get me started on frogs legs or escargot  ::) >:D

I actually rather enjoy Marmite; but for breakfast? ##$!$ that!!  :--

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96093 on: July 31, 2021, 10:28:49 pm »
I always thought that crepes and pancakes were essentially the same thing and can be eaten with either a savoury or sweet topping, no?

They are, the French just like to give 'em a fancy name and charge you twice as much for them.  :P
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96094 on: July 31, 2021, 10:43:01 pm »
I always thought that crepes and pancakes were essentially the same thing and can be eaten with either a savoury or sweet topping, no?

Other than being flat and round things, no I don't see the commonality between the two ?!  :-//
Crêpes are paper thin and much larger in diameter, like  a foot.
Most of the time I eat them either with no topping at all, or a tiny bit of super fine powder sugar, and of course a  pint of fresh milk straight from the fridge.. but that's just me, most people here don't dream milk... every body makes fun of me, treating me of cow... but I don't care...

But yeah the idea is to put topping on them. Many people here love to cover their crêpes with a ton of "Nutella" (which I hate). Of course if you go to a crêpe restaurant, a " crêperie" as it's called, they do nothing but crêpes so of course they will offer a million and one different toppings to try and extract as much money from you as possible.. business is business !  :scared:

Don't even get me started on frogs legs or escargot  ::) >:D

I am 43 and I have yet to see with my own eyes someone here eating frog legs or escargots.... but I have an uncle who used to grow these little bastard to sell them and make some pocket money... so I think at least some people do eat them... but in every day life no, never seen it... and as for me I think I would rather taste Marmite rather than be forced to eat frog legs or escargots... their is a scale even among abominable things...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96095 on: July 31, 2021, 10:47:36 pm »

They are, the French just like to give 'em a fancy name and charge you twice as much for them.  :P

Eh ?! GRRR !!!

If you come across a restaurant here trying to sell you pancakes and calling them "crêpes" in the menu card... you are well entitled to report them to the appropriate authorities ! I don't know how it's called in the UK... " DGCCRF" over here...  They protect consumers against crooked restaurants and any company selling stuff to consumers in general... they mean well but are massively understaffed so in practice 99,9% of the scumbags restaurants screw you and have not much to fear... at worst they might get a slap on the wrist and will promise they will improve.. yeah right....  :scared:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #96096 on: July 31, 2021, 11:05:40 pm »
Food fight!  :-DD :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #96097 on: July 31, 2021, 11:15:43 pm »

I shiver at the thought of being forced to eat that for breakfast  :o
Ham and cheese, really ?!  :scared:

I do not mind ham or cheese for breakfast, but then I'm from northern Europe. And I don't mind a french breakfast either. But I won't put up with the "bread" that's found in North America. I have my own sourdough culture and make baguettes from it.

I usually try to get into the habits of the country I'm in, which means Full English in the UK, croissants with beurre demi-sel and apricot jam in France (with a boule of coffee with milk; the only time milk is allowed in coffee is before 10:00 in the morning), nothing in Norway, cakes in Italy, and cold cuts in Germany. It's all got its charm.

In the US, it's either all-day-breakfast, or I try finding a food store if my hotel room has a fridge, and make something myself.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #96098 on: July 31, 2021, 11:22:49 pm »

I am 43 and I have yet to see with my own eyes someone here eating frog legs or escargots....

I've tried escargots once, in Thionville of all places. Mostly a carrier for garlic. I'd imagine that living my the sea, you'd have some better seafood to compensate. At least in Denmark, the place to eat sole and similar is in the fishing towns on the west coast. They're enormous and impeccable. Sweden is similar -- the best seafood is to be found on the western coast.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96099 on: July 31, 2021, 11:28:53 pm »

Other than being flat and round things, no I don't see the commonality between the two ?!  :-//
Crêpes are paper thin and much larger in diameter, like  a foot.

You're thinking of the pancakes you buy from the supermarket, go and buy a proper pancake pan, you will of course notice that they typically come from 22cm to 26cm, but however if you buy a crepe pan, they typically 22cm to 26cm so that can only mean one thing, they are the same size, so that means also that Cerebus was correct as well, that you French just like fancy names so you can charge twice as much for them  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf