Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14938647 times)

Carl_Smith and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #96500 on: August 04, 2021, 04:29:48 pm »
Hubby in EMT vehicle, they suspect another heart attack. I fucking hate this.

:(  :(  :(

Best wishes from my side and all the luck both of you can get.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:40:04 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96501 on: August 04, 2021, 04:37:08 pm »
@bd139, Do you want me to stick a few of those ultra bright LEDs I got for my 7150+ DMM in the post to you, or have you still got some from your mass purchase a while back?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #96502 on: August 04, 2021, 04:42:49 pm »
Have you been to the power station and its associated slate museum which is located next to the bottom lake and the power station is actually buried in the mountain that the slate was quarried from?

Interesting.  Here in the GWN, we have two lifts which work on the same principle.  Only difference is that the cargo is water, and maybe a few boats.

Those look like two different principles.

The slate quarry lift going down is heavier than the empty lift going up, so gravity "fuels" the lift. The two canal caissons have exactly the same weight whether or not they are loaded. An engine is used to overcome friction losses.

UK examples of canal lifts, old (Anderton, also on the Trent river :) ) and new (Falkirk):

There are several examples of water-powered lifts, e.g. Lynton and Lynmouth (850ft long, 500ft high) and 3(!) at Bournemouth

Thanks!  I enjoying all those different lift designs.

In the liftlocks, they use blocks in the system as limit switches.  They upper caisson is always positioned at a slightly lower point with respect to the upper water level.
When the gates are opened to allow entry/exit of boats, the upper caisson will end up with more water than the lower caisson.
No electricity is needed, only opening and closing a hydraulic valve...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96503 on: August 04, 2021, 04:48:09 pm »
Also have some lacing cord coming to do a proper job on the TOPS1

I was once taught how to do that on a graduate induction course. Never used that "skill", since ribbon cable existed even then.

The biggest utility of lacing cables is the robustness it imparts to things used in adverse circumstances - fighter aircraft, warships, and anywhere there are musicians or actors. Ribbon cable for everything is the electronics equivalent of a 'carpenter' who uses nails, preferably from a brad gun, for everything.

Yep. I can at least confirm that for the aircraft. Been spending the past 10 years at Airbus as a quality inspector/controller, putting my body in all sorts of weird unnatural unsafe and uncomfortable positions to get a close look at every fasteners and fitting in every nook and cranny of the A350 and A400... and although I am specialized in the air frame, the electrical stuff was there exposed for me to see of course... I can definitely say there is not a single ribbon cable in any aircraft and that 100% of the wiring is very tightly laced, from end to end. No matter how many dozens of wires might go to a particular connector, it will always have individual wires going to it. They have it down to a science...
To be fair Airbus doesn't do much lacing, 99,99% of it is already done, as they buy ready made harnesses from contractors. It's all already laced, just need to take it out of the plastic bag and unfold it and put lots of clamps to secure it to the air frame. They only do a tiny bit of lacing themselves when the quality guy ask them to do a touch up / rework here or there.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:50:05 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, duckduck

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #96504 on: August 04, 2021, 04:54:37 pm »
Reorganizing a bit.. found this one... it says HP.
But when i opened it, it seems sort of normal... is this a lower quality series from HP... it just so normal?
any experiances here.. is it any good?

I have one of these.  Works very nicely for something that was not too expensive used.
It is my best PSU, but my collection is still very small.
It seems to be a nice capable unit, just not high-powered.
One thing to note, it is able to sink some current, which a lot of cheap PSUs are not able.

bd139 just got its big brother, the E3630A which goes up to 30V:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3617596/#msg3617596

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #96505 on: August 04, 2021, 05:00:16 pm »

Oh, shit. Scheisse. At least he's where there is what help that might be.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #96506 on: August 04, 2021, 05:01:57 pm »

Oh no, I hope everything is OK.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #96507 on: August 04, 2021, 05:05:22 pm »

I hope those EMTs take good care of him!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #96508 on: August 04, 2021, 05:12:16 pm »
After reading Saskia's troubles I'll keep it low key.

The picture speaks for itself. The last of the major issues is fixed. Been a long, long road.  :phew:

But there are problems. The trace is upside down. I think I swapped the delay lines coming into the vertical amplifier. Also, Trigger no workie on Time Base B. Hopefully it's not a bad tunnel diode.

Other than that things look pretty good. Gonna let it cook a while.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96509 on: August 04, 2021, 05:22:27 pm »
The picture speaks for itself.

Indeed, looks brand new !  :-+

But there are problems. The trace is upside down. I think I swapped the delay lines coming into the vertical amplifier.

Well no worries, just swap the wires right at the CRT deflection pins ?!  :-[

Also, Trigger no workie on Time Base B. Hopefully it's not a bad tunnel diode.

"great".. that means some more cool troubleshooting ahead, looking forward to that ! >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #96510 on: August 04, 2021, 05:27:57 pm »

Dammitt! I step away for a couple hours to build something and all HELL breaks loose... well, most of it anyways.  >:(

No, seriously... best wishes for you both. You've paid your dues; it's time you got a break from Murphy's Honor Roll... :o

mnem
*toddles off to check his printer*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #96511 on: August 04, 2021, 05:30:07 pm »

But there are problems. The trace is upside down. I think I swapped the delay lines coming into the vertical amplifier.

"great".. that means some more cool troubleshooting ahead, looking forward to that ! >:D

Swapping the deflection plate wires would work but I want to fix it right. Time Base B Trigger: it triggers fine on square, triangle, pulse, but refuses to trigger on a simple sine wave. That's odd.  :o

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #96512 on: August 04, 2021, 05:31:56 pm »

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  Enough already!  You two need a big fan to blow that black cloud that's hovering over you away - you can't seem to catch a break!

Good thoughts inbound - at least he's in the right hands with the EMTs.  Hope all goes well.

Hang in there.

-Pat
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:36:27 pm by Cubdriver »
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #96513 on: August 04, 2021, 05:35:40 pm »

Swapping the deflection plate wires would work but I want to fix it right. Time Base B Trigger: it triggers fine on square, triangle, pulse, but refuses to trigger on a simple sine wave. That's odd:o

...so you're saying that the scope takes after you?   :P :P :P  <ducking>

Congrats on getting it as fixed as it is so far; I'm confident that you'll figure out the triggering issue too.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96514 on: August 04, 2021, 05:39:21 pm »
5100 Saga . . .

The 1V reference checks out.   So does the rest of the Reference-Isolator board, at least the parts that would stop the meter from doing anything besides flashing 200000.

That leaves the digitizer, which is on the card nearest the edge of the case.   The HV buffer is on that card too.  At this point my choices are find Dana Extender PCB p/n 403993,  make an extender PCB,  use grabber hook leads to extend the board or shotgun the most likely parts.

The card has +/- 300V on it.  I don't like the idea of using grabber hooks.   It may be safe to run the board without the 300V supplies connected.  Need to look at what is nearby.   Making the extender is a possiblity if I can find suitable sockets.

My workspace is cramped which also goes agaist using grabber hook leads to troubleshoot the card.    Next step, close visual inspection of the card.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 05:48:13 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96515 on: August 04, 2021, 05:40:17 pm »
*toddles off to check his printer*

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96516 on: August 04, 2021, 05:46:43 pm »
Dragon will we be allowed to know what the heck this part is for ?!.......  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96517 on: August 04, 2021, 05:54:14 pm »
yes.

mnem
 >:D

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96518 on: August 04, 2021, 05:57:37 pm »
5100 Saga . . .
My workspace is cramped which also goes agaist using grabber hook leads to troubleshoot the card.    Next step, close visual inspection of the card.

Do'nt bother, I am sure I know what the problem is on your 5100 !   It is..... no, don't have the slightest clue of course !  :-//

Just meant to ask you about your keyboard ! Looks cool... top quality old fashioned unit... it's so yellowed it must be 30 year old ? Pinched it from an ex job place of yours ?

May I ask what brand and model and vintage that is ?

Had a  hard time finding a decent keyboard myself 15 years ago when I rebuilt my computer. So I ended up trying to remember the old manufucturers of back in the day... thouht of cherry, checked their current range.. nowhere to be found in the usual mainstream resellers of computer parts. Google eventually found a tiny obscure store that sold office stuff. They happened to import the Cherry model I was interested in. And it was not even that expensive either... just had to know it even existed, and then work at it to find a seller in France.
Model G-224, in off-white of course, not horrible black...

Says made in Germany at the back.. thought Cherry was an American company ??  German then ? Or maybe they built a German factory to cater for the European market, don't know...

Anyway it's 15 years old but still love it to bits and zero intention to replace it. Great feel and sound and ergonomics. I will probably still have it in 20 years... need to take it completely apart to give it a good clean though !  :scared: If it yellows I can always " retrobrite " it, no worries...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #96520 on: August 04, 2021, 06:03:59 pm »
5100 Saga . . .

The 1V reference checks out.   So does the rest of the Reference-Isolator board, at least the parts that would stop the meter from doing anything besides flashing 200000.

That leaves the digitizer, which is on the card nearest the edge of the case.   The HV buffer is on that card too.  At this point my choices are find Dana Extender PCB p/n 403993,  make an extender PCB,  use grabber hook leads to extend the board or shotgun the most likely parts.

The card has +/- 300V on it.  I don't like the idea of using grabber hooks.   It may be safe to run the board without the 300V supplies connected.  Need to look at what is nearby.   Making the extender is a possiblity if I can find suitable sockets.

Andrew - what kind of edge connectors does the Dana meter use?  If they're the 'conventional' type with the fingers on the card edge, you might look for HP extender cards - as such things go, they're relatively common on the Bay of Evil.  It's taken a while, but I've managed to find most sizes:

Search on things like "HP extender", "HP extender board", "HP Extender card" and the like.

(If, on the other hand they use the Fluke-style soldered in forks, well, you're forked.  Extenders for those in my experience are rarer than hen's teeth.)

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96521 on: August 04, 2021, 06:09:54 pm »

Do'nt bother, I am sure I know what the problem is on your 5100 !   It is..... no, don't have the slightest clue of course !  :-//

Cherry keyboards and switches were and still are made in Germany  ££££  but high quality.     The keyboard in the photo is a modern YMDK  YMD96 built from a kit of parts.  They are on aliexpress or you can find them at YMDKkey dot com.

I also built this one.   It is a Mysterium PCB with keycaps I designed.   I call the Keycaps  A029  as the design is inspired by Apple and IBM 029 keypunch  keyboards.   WASD in california will print just about anything onto keycaps.   

This one is entirely my own design.   JLCPCB ...  keycaps from WASD  printed from an illustrator file I sent them.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, scl, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, Zoli, tonyalbus, Cymaphore, DH7DN

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96522 on: August 04, 2021, 06:32:17 pm »
The keyboard in the photo is a modern YMDK  YMD96 built from a kit of parts.  They are on aliexpress or you can find them at YMDKkey dot com.

Wow, so the yellowed case is yellow on purpose, to fool on into thinking it's an old vintage one, attention to detail ! ;D

keycaps I designed.  [..]  WASD in california will print just about anything onto keycaps.

Oh a mere mortal / consumer can get professionally etched keycaps ?! What a wonderful world we live in !  :D

Thanks for all the info ! Had no idea one had all the tools to build himself a fully custom top quality keyboard.. there is hope for a good keyboard then, that's marvelous ! Will try and make my Cherry last as long as possible, but if it ever dies for good, it's incredible peace of mind to know I have now a plan 'B' !  :D

Will copy/paste your message in a safe place to make sure I can find it easily when I need it !   :-+

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96523 on: August 04, 2021, 06:33:44 pm »
Look what I came across at rummaging around and thought you also might enjoy it: connector pornography!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:26:41 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, mnementh, capt bullshot

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96524 on: August 04, 2021, 06:42:19 pm »
I had to go on site at work today. Actually playing with wires and TE a rig with star delta wiring....
Got in and had to get a diesel Mondeo moved of the designated EV spot so I could charge the car. Had to go out to pick something up and all was OK got back and plugged in and chargiing. Finshed work and went to un-plug and charger was dead (it's a type 1 10A slow charger with 13A plug). Fuse was OK but no lights. Reads open circuit between L & N
So time to investigate. It's clearly not ment to be serviced but that did not stop me. I'm not paying £2-300 for a new one. The cover of the moulded case had tamper proof Torx screws. I've plenty of tools for those. I was soon clear that the cover was also glued down with what looks like Sikaflex. Bit of leaverage sorted that. Thirty seconds with the Fluke confirmed an open circuit live between the (moulded on) plug and ring tag inside charger. I removed the cable and as I suspected from the start the wure was broken at the compression cable gland. This had clearly been over tightened.
New lead (Cut off quality 1.5mm IEC lead with moulded plug) fitted and now all working.  :-DMM
I put a bit of glue lined heatshrink over the cable were it comes through the gland for added protecton. I'll have to get some black Sikaflex to seal it up properly.
Pretty sure the garage would have said "not fixable" and wanted more than £300 for one. The extended warranty company would probably say "accessories are not covered" too.
Before anyone says it, I always use the support lanyard and never leave the charger hanging on the cable.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 06:51:48 pm by Robert763 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf