Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555116 times)

Vince, Aiy, wkb and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102325 on: September 19, 2021, 06:55:07 pm »
Ideally I want something like a Fluke 5100, that does AC V/I as well as DC V/I. I'm patient, it's all good.

I suppose if I sold off my surplus TE it would improve my budget for said calibrator. Just have to decide what's really surplus...

Didn't bid on that EDC either, would prefer to rescue the last remaining Rotek from work, but they don't want sell it (rather bin it, as happened with the others  :palm:), a long time ago they used many of them for servicing all kinds of analogue panel meters from trains.

It's something like these (not sure if the model number is the same), if I remember correctly they were both rather tatty from careless cal label removal and someone has lost the high current leads.  |O

David

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #102326 on: September 19, 2021, 07:02:26 pm »
Genuinely I wanted the 6237B that went over the weekend but at £157 that was a nope. Max 100.

I understand that. The 6237b is a really nice PSU. I am grateful to you for putting me on the trail of that particular series, and happy that mine works really nicely. Once I had unfucked my penisfingery in the mains switching wiring...

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102327 on: September 19, 2021, 07:04:37 pm »

Most likely a rat, just stick some bait out for it.

No. One of these. Woodchuck or ground hog. Can be very destructive with their digging. Best way to get rid of is to sit quietly with a rifle. Got them here. In this yard and neighbor's.

Really would they go for a septic environment whereas rats just love such shitty places ?

Watched a lot of YT vids of shooting them critters and never did I see those anywhere near septics.
Anyways cycling al might give some clues about the size of the burrows.
If this is the culprit, they are in for a name change. Turdchuck? Crapchuck? Septic hog?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #102328 on: September 19, 2021, 07:19:12 pm »
Has anybody ever dealt with any of these companies/websites?
(it should be the same part on each website)
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/driver-cap-p-606310.html
https://www.partswarehouse.com/Bosch-Driver-Cap-BSH-2610916116-p/bsh-2610916116.htm
https://www.jensentools.com/2610916116-dremel-driver-cap/p/302ie6116
https://widgetsupply.com/product/beh95.html
https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/dremel-driver-cap-2610916116

As you can guess, I need a driver cap to attach a flex shaft to my rotary tool (think Dremel).
It appears the rotary tool from Canadian Tire indicates the driver cap comes with the accessory kit.
The Canadian Tire accessory kit containing the flex shaft indicates to use the driver cap that came with the rotary tool.
Unfortunately, these were purchased some time ago.

You wonder why we call it Crappy Tire?  |O

Time to find something else productive to do ...
Is yours actually a Bosch branded unit, so you know you need this part?

Before you freak out... take a look inside the drive end of the output shaft with the collet removed. I had one years ago where the square-drive was actually machined inside the output shaft, and you just took the collet off to use the flex-shaft.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102329 on: September 19, 2021, 07:24:58 pm »
Ideally I want something like a Fluke 5100, that does AC V/I as well as DC V/I. I'm patient, it's all good.

I suppose if I sold off my surplus TE it would improve my budget for said calibrator. Just have to decide what's really surplus...

That’s difficult to do that is. Stuff just sort of stays here at the moment  :popcorn:

I’m going to bounce the Solartron and the Farnell TOPS1 here.

Genuinely I wanted the 6237B that went over the weekend but at £157 that was a nope. Max 100.
Which Solartron?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102330 on: September 19, 2021, 07:34:06 pm »

I understand that. The 6237b is a really nice PSU. I am grateful to you for putting me on the trail of that particular series, and happy that mine works really nicely. Once I had unfucked my penisfingery in the mains switching wiring...

Yeah they are glorious power supplies. As always they tend to turn up broken. I had one with a borked reference zener  :palm:

Going back to the hamfest purchases I found this picture again which is what I was going to post earlier when complaining about hams fixing things  :palm:

The stupid thing is I must have spent ten minutes unfucking that and finding the shorted tant and the thing worked after that. I can't remember but I think I paid £2 or £5 for that 475 scope. It got all the good bits off my 465 parts mule attached to it and ended up a credible piece of kit!

Actual problem, unfucked because the idiot used Jesus' soldering iron on it.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102331 on: September 19, 2021, 07:34:27 pm »
Agreed, this is not a good thing at all for use on normal roads, but on special roads, or dedicated cycle tracks, for use by push-bikes, electric scooters and low speed items like a C5, then it, might be a different thing all together. Here in the UK many cities are experimenting with dedicated tracks / lanes segregated from the normal traffic on which electric scooters are allowed (but only ones supplied by authorised suppliers who rent them out by the mile/hour) private ones that are on sale in shops etc are and remain illegal for use in public areas. https://www.chelmsford.gov.uk/leisure-theatres-and-museums/visiting-chelmsford/chelmsford-e-scooter-trial/

Wait until you have piles of those e-scooters lying across bike lanes and blocking pavements to the extent that you have to climb over them unless you want to dare walking on the road. You'll grow to hate them very quickly.

McBryce.

Yeah... "normal cars not allowed".  ::)  Good effing luck widdat.  :palm: They take perfectly good street-lanes that could increase traffic load to make these stoopit bike lanes, which for safety's sake, need enough buffer space that they take as much or more space as a car lane. Gonna be lots of personal injury, possibly class-action lawsuits, and only the lawyers will benefit...

As for that sidewalk littered with scooters... fuck; call the cops and report it as a public safety hazard. They'll get a wrecker/flatbed on the scene, which will collect all of them to the impound. Then the e-scoot "service operators" can either pay to get them out of the impound or they go to the Police auction.

Another case of "quick buck" artists getting their money up front with a feel-good sales pitch, but kicking the mess and cleanup down the road for others to deal with.  :palm:

mnem
that's just plain :bullshit:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102332 on: September 19, 2021, 07:34:58 pm »

That’s difficult to do that is. Stuff just sort of stays here at the moment  :popcorn:

I’m going to bounce the Solartron and the Farnell TOPS1 here.

Which Solartron?

7150 plus. LEDs replaced. New mains filter (the correct one, not hacked up one)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102333 on: September 19, 2021, 07:42:28 pm »

Success. I can fully extend/retract the lens assembly with battery power, and the lens cover opens/closes as it should.  :-+

I think I'm going to take my little victory here and toddle off to bed. Tomorrow's plenty soon enough to find out if that FPC I bodged with CA is okay or trash, and I'm tired enough now that I'm liable to break shit putting it back together.

mnem
 :=\                                     
Looks promising so far. Would be nice to have your patience.   Crossed fingers.   Looking forward to full success.  :popcorn:

Today I'm going to double down on the misery and tackle the other optical assembly while the assembly roadmap is still fresh in my mind. And since I now have freshly-charged batteries for my DSC-H2, I'll try and get some pics of the process. I think it will be an interesting look into the design/engineering of these amazing little devices.

You know, actual engineering as opposed to a 1.5-Ω stable (allegedly) amplifier *coughZ.12cough*  that probably operates at 10% THD at rated spec with that load.  :palm:

mnem
Why again am I looking for a replacement for this camera...? :o

Okies... I have the other optical assembly done, and shedloads of pics. I'm guessing at least 3 posts worth, maybe more, so I should probably make it a dedicated thread for others to review.

Only... where would be the most appropriate place to put it...? :o

mnem
 ???

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Peter_O

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102334 on: September 19, 2021, 07:52:08 pm »
This and some other crusty old stuff from what looks like a ham having a clearout in Chelford:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284448291325

Was hoping to go & collect this today, but my van decided to detach a gearchange linkage again.  |O
BTW the seller is not a ham and is the same person I've been buying from for over a year, some of the stuff has been in good condition, others not so good.

David
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:26:29 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102335 on: September 19, 2021, 07:55:31 pm »
Update on the Type 547.

After much research I discovered that my low S/N scope was wired as shown in the first schematic. D1109 is a 105V zener and vertical output transistors are RCA TA1938. I could not find any info on those transistors but I stopped searching after figuring out how to upgrade the vertical amplifier. Q1109 is a 2N3441.

Since the TA1938 transistors were unobtainium did the upgrade as shown in this schematic. Q1109 remains a 2N3441. D1109 changes from a 105V zener to a 110V zener. Silicon diode D1114 is added. The vertical output transistors (Q1114 and Q1134) are now RCA 2N3119 which are much easier to find but still not common.

Pix of 105V zener before removal.

The new 110V zener and silicon diode bodged in.

New 2N3119 output transistors installed.

And the results. It appears I finally after months of work have all the gremlins out of this scope. The trace is somewhat fuzzy because I'm still on the external +100V supply and it's noisy as hell since it's a switcher. But I'm not going to go back on the internal +100V until I'm totally convinced this bastard is fixed.

At last.  :phew: :phew: :phew: :phew: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102336 on: September 19, 2021, 08:01:15 pm »
Nice job on the 547 repair!!  :-+ :-+ :-+

This and some other crusty old stuff from what looks like a ham having a clearout in Chelford:

Was hoping to go & collect this today, but my van decided to detach a gearchange linkage again.  |O
BTW the seller is not a ham and is the same person I've been buying from for over a year, some of the stuff has been in good condition, others not so good.

David

Whoops

Seller is confirmed good. I've had a couple of books off him before.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 08:03:03 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102337 on: September 19, 2021, 08:08:46 pm »
   ...Here I've stabilized this part of the FPC with a drop of CA and accelerant.

Not pretty, but at least I should be able to handle the lens assembly without a repeat failure. Maybe I'll even be able to confirm continuity.  :-//

mnem
*tinker-ily*

Alas, my bodge was made of fail; continuity on only one of the 7 traces at the main connector, tho confirmed continuity with the connector pins on the other end.

I'm afraid any further Canon G10 fun will have to wait on replacement FPCs via the slow boat from China.

mnem

sa-a-a-a-d...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102338 on: September 19, 2021, 08:15:22 pm »
Nice job on the 547 repair!!  :-+ :-+ :-+

Thanks.  :-+ And this is odd. When I have the vertical amp disabled the power consumption on the +100V was about 320mA. With everything connected and working the consumption dropped to 235mA. Huh?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102339 on: September 19, 2021, 08:23:56 pm »
And Houston we have a problem. But I saw this before the vertical amp destroyed itself. The sweep goes into a like X2 or X5 mode all by itself. At least it doesn't result in magic smoke. I'll have to hang the DSO on the sweep output and see what's up. Should be easy to track down and I'm not too concerned.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 10:19:06 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102340 on: September 19, 2021, 08:25:31 pm »
Thanks.  :-+ And this is odd. When I have the vertical amp disabled the power consumption on the +100V was about 320mA. With everything connected and working the consumption dropped to 235mA. Huh?

Looking at the schematic, the previous stage amplifier probably needs the final amplifier to be online to be properly biased at its supposed quiescent state. This probably loads up the previous stage quite heavily somewhere via the delay line.

It's worth stuffing a DMM in volts mode across the collector resistor on each stage to look at the per-stage current draw.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102341 on: September 19, 2021, 08:28:17 pm »

David

Whoops

Seller is confirmed good. I've had a couple of books off him her before.

Corrected that for you.

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102342 on: September 19, 2021, 08:29:08 pm »

Looking at the schematic, the previous stage amplifier probably needs the final amplifier to be online to be properly biased at its supposed quiescent state. This probably loads up the previous stage quite heavily somewhere via the delay line.

It's worth stuffing a DMM in volts mode across the collector resistor on each stage to look at the per-stage current draw.

Could be. But since it's now working I have no need to kill the final vertical amp so I'm going to let sleeping dogs lie.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102343 on: September 19, 2021, 08:31:04 pm »
Every time we go to France we make sure to bring something special back. Bornier isn't that special; I buy it in the restaurant supplies store,

Oh OK, phew, ecology is safe !  ;D

Quote from: mansaxel
The trip I'm currently planning for 2022 is something like Sedan - Epernay - Bayeux - St Nazaire - Saumur - Bordeaux - Carcassonne - Gigondas - Lyon - Epinal - Metz - Thionville...

Wow that's quite a trip ! My right leg hurts badly after only 30/45 minutes of driving so driving all around the country sounds like science fiction to me !  :scared:

So you will be stopping by Saint-Nazaire where I live then, interesting !  ;D

Oh yes... she can bring you a "special" teddy bear... He can stop by Saskia's and bring you  a "special" teddy bear... :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 11:43:51 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102344 on: September 19, 2021, 08:33:51 pm »
And Houston were have a problem. But I saw this before the vertical amp destroyed itself. The sweep goes into a like X2 or X5 mode all by itself. At least it doesn't result in magic smoke. I'll have to hang the DSO on the sweep output and see what's up. Should be easy to track down and I'm not too concerned.

Yeah. I'd stuff it in X-Y mode, throw 1V DC into the X amp and go round with a DMM on the sweep mag stuff until you find the jiggly volts. Good luck though - waiting for the next installment  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102345 on: September 19, 2021, 08:37:19 pm »
I’d have a pet weasel.

Dogs, cats hell no.

Just don't get a ferret. Sorta like a giant weasel. I knew someone who had one. Lots of energy but they shit and piss everywhere.  :palm:

Ferrets are just fat weasels.  :-DD You think they're wired...? Just imagine if they weren't all overweight from hand-feeding...  :scared:

Adorable to look at... from a distance. But they have hyperactive musk glands and they fucking reek. Like tomcat marking his territory reek.  :P

mnem
best enjoyed via yooBtoob.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102346 on: September 19, 2021, 08:40:08 pm »
Nothing a ham has touched is probably working.

That's not nice of you to say. Most things I've touched were already broken before I repaired them. ;-)

Well in his defense, you're not a typical HAM. Fer starters, you were smart enough to find your way here.   :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102347 on: September 19, 2021, 08:52:19 pm »
Had a look at the Dell PSU. typical 18.5V "soap on a rope". Has the square 3 pin connector. Green light comes on for about half a second when plugged in. No output. No short on output measured at the plug. Crack it open and it's quite well made. A 470uF 16V electro on the HV side has puked slightly at the seal. Pulled that, cleaned up and stuck a 470uF 35V in. Green light now stays on.
Plug laptop in and it's all working including CD-ROM and floppy drive. Even the battery holds a bit of charge. It's running Win 98 which is ideal for what I want. The thing looks brand new, not a mark on it. It's also the "upgraded" 166MHz version with the full 64MB

I've not got the 8903A out of the car yet. I need to clear a space for it. It looks dusty but unmolested and nothing broken. I'll get it running anyway as it fills one of the remaining holes in my capability, audio distortion measurement.
Yup... those were a good little brick.

One of the last generation where they still bothered to pay for Delta. I used to use the 80-120 Watt ones to power a whole row of LiPo chargers back in the day; I could get them by the pound from a local eWaste processor.  :-DD

mnem
*juicy*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102348 on: September 19, 2021, 09:00:52 pm »
And now for something completely different   Fun with TEA!   (SNIP)

Now, I've taken the heat gun and partially warmed the RG174 by maybe 5°C ... 10°C. Result is here:

There's a change in delay of the warmed up RG174 line of about 2.5ps within 12sec.

mnem

I knew I'd need that again someday...

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #102349 on: September 19, 2021, 09:07:56 pm »
Nothing a ham has touched is probably working.

Those HP audio analysers tend to fetch a fair bit of cash.

Not completely true. For most hams, their off the shelf equipment works, but if their homebrew stuff works they have no good idea why.  >:D :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf