Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14557067 times)

Carl_Smith, xrunner, TERRA Operative, Jambalaya and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102350 on: September 19, 2021, 09:08:42 pm »
Nothing a ham has touched is probably working.

Those HP audio analysers tend to fetch a fair bit of cash.

Not completely true. For most hams, their off the shelf equipment works, but if their homebrew stuff works they have no good idea why.  >:D :-DD

Can confirm  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102351 on: September 19, 2021, 09:18:44 pm »
   ...Here I've stabilized this part of the FPC with a drop of CA and accelerant.

Not pretty, but at least I should be able to handle the lens assembly without a repeat failure. Maybe I'll even be able to confirm continuity.  :-//

mnem
*tinker-ily*

Alas, my bodge was made of fail; continuity on only one of the 7 traces at the main connector, tho confirmed continuity with the connector pins on the other end.

I'm afraid any further Canon G10 fun will have to wait on replacement FPCs via the slow boat from China.

mnem

sa-a-a-a-d...
Yeah, I've always hated those FPC's so bloody fragile especially when you have big hands.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102352 on: September 19, 2021, 09:19:37 pm »
And now for something completely different   Fun with TEA!   (SNIP)

Now, I've taken the heat gun and partially warmed the RG174 by maybe 5°C ... 10°C. Result is here:

There's a change in delay of the warmed up RG174 line of about 2.5ps within 12sec.

mnem

I knew I'd need that again someday...
And the Capt'n is impressively far in already, mind! I have tried to build something comperable twice now, with the experiment (as shown) the significant "is it good enough" test. And whilst twice I insisted on unconventional methods (by building from stock my junk box the hoard) and I got closer the second time, twice I failed so far. TL;DR: I am reasonably impressed - my device has noise at least 10 times higher...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102353 on: September 19, 2021, 09:23:51 pm »
This and some other crusty old stuff from what looks like a ham having a clearout in Chelford:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284448291325

Was hoping to go & collect this today, but my van decided to detach a gearchange linkage again.  |O
BTW the seller is not a ham and is the same person I've been buying from for over a year, some of the stuff has been in good condition, others not so good.

David

Whoops

Seller is confirmed good. I've had a couple of books off him her before.

Corrected that for you.

David
I still think that will all clean up very nicely, especially the handles and side rails.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102354 on: September 19, 2021, 09:27:33 pm »
Every time we go to France we make sure to bring something special back. Bornier isn't that special; I buy it in the restaurant supplies store,

Oh OK, phew, ecology is safe !  ;D

Quote from: mansaxel
The trip I'm currently planning for 2022 is something like Sedan - Epernay - Bayeux - St Nazaire - Saumur - Bordeaux - Carcassonne - Gigondas - Lyon - Epinal - Metz - Thionville...

Wow that's quite a trip ! My right leg hurts badly after only 30/45 minutes of driving so driving all around the country sounds like science fiction to me !  :scared:

So you will be stopping by Saint-Nazaire where I live then, interesting !  ;D

Oh yes... she can bring you a "special" teddy bear...  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

I had gathered by now that Saskia was a she. Mansaxel is too then ?! So that's too girls on a nerdy forum, I am impressed. Any other girl on TEA ? BU ? BD ? Specmaster ? Zucca ?  Don't be shy...

As for teddy bears not sure what you are referring to. Something dirty otherwise you would not mention it hmm....
At any rate I already have my Teddy bear. Got it for X-mas when I was 7 IIRC. 44 in two months so he has been with me for 37 years already ! Time flies ! :scared:

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #102355 on: September 19, 2021, 09:43:24 pm »

Oh yes... she can bring you a "special" teddy bear...  :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

I had gathered by now that Saskia was a she. Mansaxel is too then ?!

No, mnem is far out on a ride somewhere. That has nothing to do with me, I'm just another regular guy.

Honestly, I suspect an editing error.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102356 on: September 19, 2021, 09:46:58 pm »
I had gathered by now that Saskia was a she. Mansaxel is too then ?! So that's too girls on a nerdy forum, I am impressed. Any other girl on TEA ? BU ? BD ? Specmaster ? Zucca ?  Don't be shy...

I identify as an attack helicopter.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, shakalnokturn

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102357 on: September 19, 2021, 09:48:19 pm »
Only just noticed that we're on page:

\$ {2^{12}} - 1 \$
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102358 on: September 19, 2021, 09:54:37 pm »

"Please, lie on zee couch and be making yourself comfortable."

"Now, Budgie, long haf you been having zee delusion of grandeur?"

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102359 on: September 19, 2021, 09:55:21 pm »
Rule 34  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #102360 on: September 19, 2021, 10:06:14 pm »
I had gathered by now that Saskia was a she.

Was? Still is as far as I know ...  ::)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, bd139, cyclin_al

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102361 on: September 19, 2021, 11:15:10 pm »
New 1.3" OLED display came in  - this one is white (when activated ...  :P). Looks like they swapped positive and GND pins from other models the same size. Hmmm. Maybe white light needs that configuration to work? I love it when they do things like that though - keeps us on our toes. I like the little slant they did soldering the display cable too. It's always a boring look when they get put on so straight. Who knows - the thing might even work (for a little while). Great hobby.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #102362 on: September 19, 2021, 11:40:58 pm »

Oh yes... she can bring you a "special" teddy bear... He can stop by Saskia's and bring you  a "special" teddy bear... :-DD :-DD

mnem
*agitating-ily*

I had gathered by now that Saskia was a she. Mansaxel is too then ?!

No, mnem is far out on a ride somewhere. That has nothing to do with me, I'm just another regular guy.

Honestly, I suspect an editing error.
Yeah, editing as in I had one a dozen or so too many tabs open for the number of brain cells firing at the time and totally misattributed mansaxel's list in my head as belonging to Saskia. And then forgot to double-check for such clerical errors as I habitually do before I pulled the trigger on my post. Sorry guys.   :-[
Vince, I know I promised you a "special teddy bear"... here it is:   

mnem
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:06:12 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102363 on: September 19, 2021, 11:51:08 pm »

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102364 on: September 20, 2021, 12:04:03 am »
Rule 34  :scared:

Been done already. One of the serial comics I usedta read when my wife and I were courting had this character was a utterly disaffected teen gamer punk (literally didn't care that he didn't care) whose brain was transferred into an Osprey as its AI operator. He wound up gonzo infatuated with the mad scientist chick who put his brain in the thing, and all the angst and schizz went along with you know... not having a body anymore.  ::)

mnem
*thanks Ifni I finally outgrew the whole teen angst thing*
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:18:35 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102365 on: September 20, 2021, 12:13:27 am »
...As for teddy bears not sure what you are referring to. Something dirty otherwise you would not mention it hmm....
At any rate I already have my Teddy bear. Got it for X-mas when I was 7 IIRC. 44 in two months so he has been with me for 37 years already ! Time flies ! :scared:

Saskia's "special teddy bears" are made of plastique. ;)

mnem
as long as she hands it tooya, you're probably okay. It's when they come air-delivery that you need to worry.  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102366 on: September 20, 2021, 12:17:46 am »
New 1.3" OLED display came in  - this one is white (when activated ...  :P). Looks like they swapped positive and GND pins from other models the same size. Hmmm. Maybe white light needs that configuration to work? I love it when they do things like that though - keeps us on our toes. I like the little slant they did soldering the display cable too. It's always a boring look when they get put on so straight. Who knows - the thing might even work (for a little while). Great hobby.
That's the one I hacked onto my original T12 soldering station. I think it also had the slanted FPC drag-soldered on... Worked a week before one whole column went tits up.  :-//

mnem
Hope ya got spares... :o
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 12:19:43 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102367 on: September 20, 2021, 12:38:52 am »
That's the one I hacked onto my original T12 soldering station. I think it also had the slanted FPC drag-soldered on... Worked a week before one whole column went tits up.  :-//

mnem
Hope ya got spares... :o

I always order (at least) two of anything associated with "Arduino".

Item description -

1.3" Blue or White OLED LCD 4PIN Display Module IIC I2C 128x64 for Arduino SH1106

It's a built-in reflex action triggered with that name.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102368 on: September 20, 2021, 12:57:21 am »
 :-+

mnem
If one is fun, then 3 should be fun3, right...? >:D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:06:04 am by mnementh »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102369 on: September 20, 2021, 01:53:18 am »
Has anybody ever dealt with any of these companies/websites?
(it should be the same part on each website)
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/driver-cap-p-606310.html
https://www.partswarehouse.com/Bosch-Driver-Cap-BSH-2610916116-p/bsh-2610916116.htm
https://www.jensentools.com/2610916116-dremel-driver-cap/p/302ie6116
https://widgetsupply.com/product/beh95.html
https://www.mmtoolparts.com/store/dremel-driver-cap-2610916116

As you can guess, I need a driver cap to attach a flex shaft to my rotary tool (think Dremel).
It appears the rotary tool from Canadian Tire indicates the driver cap comes with the accessory kit.
The Canadian Tire accessory kit containing the flex shaft indicates to use the driver cap that came with the rotary tool.
Unfortunately, these were purchased some time ago.

You wonder why we call it Crappy Tire?  |O

Time to find something else productive to do ...
Is yours actually a Bosch branded unit, so you know you need this part?

Before you freak out... take a look inside the drive end of the output shaft with the collet removed. I had one years ago where the square-drive was actually machined inside the output shaft, and you just took the collet off to use the flex-shaft.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O

Mine is a Crappy Tire branded one.  It seems that Bosch, Dremel and a bunch of others were all made the same way, of that vintage  (newer ones are different).  The few accessories that came with the rotary tool itself still showed the Dremel branding, even though the tool and case was branded Crappy Tire.

I did try putting the flex shaft on, just in case there was a square drive recessed in the collet holder.  The collet holder is just a hollow cylinder with lots of space for the back end of the collet to fit within the holder.  The holder is threaded on the outside, to thread on the piece that secures the collet, or to thread on the square drive.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102370 on: September 20, 2021, 01:57:25 am »

Success. I can fully extend/retract the lens assembly with battery power, and the lens cover opens/closes as it should.  :-+

I think I'm going to take my little victory here and toddle off to bed. Tomorrow's plenty soon enough to find out if that FPC I bodged with CA is okay or trash, and I'm tired enough now that I'm liable to break shit putting it back together.

mnem
 :=\                                     
Looks promising so far. Would be nice to have your patience.   Crossed fingers.   Looking forward to full success.  :popcorn:

Today I'm going to double down on the misery and tackle the other optical assembly while the assembly roadmap is still fresh in my mind. And since I now have freshly-charged batteries for my DSC-H2, I'll try and get some pics of the process. I think it will be an interesting look into the design/engineering of these amazing little devices.

You know, actual engineering as opposed to a 1.5-Ω stable (allegedly) amplifier *coughZ.12cough*  that probably operates at 10% THD at rated spec with that load.  :palm:

mnem
Why again am I looking for a replacement for this camera...? :o

Okies... I have the other optical assembly done, and shedloads of pics. I'm guessing at least 3 posts worth, maybe more, so I should probably make it a dedicated thread for others to review.

Only... where would be the most appropriate place to put it...? :o

mnem
 ???

Pictures of test equipment are mandatory, just like a calibrator is mandatory for whatever nuttery we are interested in.
Therefore, a camera is a form of test equipment, at least for the TEA crowd?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102371 on: September 20, 2021, 02:10:24 am »

Whoa! Does that mean that if you become schizophrenic, you'll be a whole squadron?

/running from the sound of many rotorcraft/
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:15:22 am by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102372 on: September 20, 2021, 02:14:24 am »
No, it means that he'd become an egg beater.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, shakalnokturn, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102373 on: September 20, 2021, 02:23:10 am »

Ifni save me... I'm going there.   

mnem
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 02:24:43 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102374 on: September 20, 2021, 02:28:23 am »

Ifni save me... I'm going there.   

mnem

I hope it works after all that effort.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me