Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14912527 times)

mnementh and 273 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102450 on: September 20, 2021, 05:10:04 pm »
NICE SCORE! :-+ :-+

Edit....and you snagged it from the clutches of a tube rapist. Good show! :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:32:42 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #102451 on: September 20, 2021, 05:12:27 pm »
@Vince:
So, you want something like this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_rotors

Yeah this one looks cool. Safest design by far, since a tail rotor failure on a"normal" heli and you are doomed, realistically.
Should be the default setup ! Should be enforced by law / regulations !  :-DD

I guess it's not because it has economical drawbacks for the customer... I guess it has to be more expensive, to buy as well as to maintain. Heavier and more drag so more fuel consumption. As always you can't have it all...

The NOTAR design is a good compromise though, I found.

Single main rotor yet no tail rotor either. So I guess this COULD be an economical / viable alternative to a tail rotor... but still, 99% of Helis have a tail rotor, don't know why. It's just asking for trouble really  :-//
I guess NOTAR like any technical solution must have it's show-stopper drawbacks.. just don't know what they are. I notice it tends to be applied to small Heli, so maybe the engineering behind it just can't be scaled up for larger aircraft ?!  :-//

One reason I heard was that NOTAR does not allow as much wind coming from the side than a good (and loud) classic tail rotor.
LTE has killed quite some choppers, especially 206es, but also some others. AS350 is fairly immune to this problem.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #102452 on: September 20, 2021, 05:13:08 pm »
My assumption regarding the 'conventional' design of helos and the continued use of tail rotors is simply that it is time tested and works well enough that there's not enough motivation to 'improve' on it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'd say that the fact that almost all but a few (typically) specialized types use this configuration speaks to this.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #102453 on: September 20, 2021, 05:18:52 pm »
My assumption regarding the 'conventional' design of helos and the continued use of tail rotors is simply that it is time tested and works well enough that there's not enough motivation to 'improve' on it.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  I'd say that the fact that almost all but a few (typically) specialized types use this configuration speaks to this.

-Pat

Dont agree. There is a lot of pressure to make helis more quiet, and the tail rotor is a major source of whining sound. The fenestron types are an answer to this, but again they are less powerful than the classics. If you need to fly in high windspeeds and with heavy loads, LTE is a no-no. If you fly tourists, low noise is more important.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #102454 on: September 20, 2021, 05:21:44 pm »
@Vince:

Yeah this one looks cool. Safest design by far, since a tail rotor failure on a"normal" heli and you are doomed, realistically.

I guess it's not because it has economical drawbacks for the customer... I guess it has to be more expensive, to buy as well as to maintain. Heavier and more drag so more fuel consumption. As always you can't have it all...

Single main rotor yet no tail rotor either. So I guess this COULD be an economical / viable alternative to a tail rotor... but still, 99% of Helis have a tail rotor, don't know why. It's just asking for trouble really  :-//
I guess NOTAR like any technical solution must have it's show-stopper drawbacks.. just don't know what they are. I notice it tends to be applied to small Heli, so maybe the engineering behind it just can't be scaled up for larger aircraft ?!  :-//

I suspect it's as much because smaller helis are wont to be sent into tighter spots where manoeuverability is dangerously compromised for those with tail rotors, whereas bigger ones are less likely to find themselves there.
I shouldn't think there would be any issues regarding scalability, since the function of thrust on the tail boom is to counter the torque of the main rotor, and a more powerful engine will have more exhaust thrust available to be used.

Maybe there are licensing issues too, might be cheaper to use a conventional gearbox and rotor than have to pay the license cost on top of the re-engineering?

-Pat

The NOTAR design should be inherently more reliable than a conventional gearbox and tail rotor, as there are fewer stressed moving parts.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 05:28:20 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102455 on: September 20, 2021, 05:21:48 pm »
And my score for today via USPS.

One item I was expecting and knew what it was and the second item I knew it was coming but had no idea what it was.

First, Baby Tek 212. Packaging was excellent. It appears to be all there except for the probe ends. The probe cables coming out of the unit terminate in male BNC's.  :-// It's heavy which indicates there might be dead and leaky NiCads in it. I'll tear it down later. Dunno if it powers up. Ad said for parts or not working.

Next. I knew something else was coming but didn't know what it was. Also, excellent packaging. This is thanks to AVG. The Tektronix coffee mug. :-+ This will go perfectly with the 547 mug to show up hopefully by the end of this week.

Thanks AVG, that was a surprise and I really appreciate it!  ;D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #102456 on: September 20, 2021, 05:22:15 pm »
I had gathered by now that Saskia was a she.

Was? Still is as far as I know ...  ::)

No intention of changing that  :-DD :-DD

I hope not. We need someone around here to clean the place and cook the meals.   >:D

J/K.  :P :-DD

Med has just established his locale as Ground Zero.   Everyone ... KEEP CLEAR!

Nah, as long as Med is getting me horny on those discord sessions, everything is fine  >:D

I seem to have that affect on women. It's a gift.  :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

As long as nobody tells us to get a room ... :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102457 on: September 20, 2021, 05:28:54 pm »

No intention of changing that  :-DD :-DD

I hope not. We need someone around here to clean the place and cook the meals.   >:D

J/K.  :P :-DD

Med has just established his locale as Ground Zero.   Everyone ... KEEP CLEAR!

Nah, as long as Med is getting me horny on those discord sessions, everything is fine  >:D

I seem to have that affect on women. It's a gift.  :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

As long as nobody tells us to get a room ... :P :-DD

Aw shucks, that was gonna be my next question.  :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #102458 on: September 20, 2021, 05:30:23 pm »
That's really cute. Regarding this -

It appears to be all there except for the probe ends. The probe cables coming out of the unit terminate in male BNC's.  :-//

You mean someone modded the original probe ends? I don't see a clear picture of those elsewhere.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102459 on: September 20, 2021, 05:32:57 pm »
Proposal to develop Insulin sensor submitted to the powers that be.
Now need to forward this to our CEO thru channels just in case some midlevel management critter decides that it's too much work to take a stand ...

This would be an insulin sensor that could be used in a personal device? That would be a game changer for diabetics!

yes, exactly.

Please keep us updated, if possible, about this. I know of several who have been waiting for this for many years since they've been diabetic, and it is possible to radically change the consensus in the medical community about how things progress to insulin resistance and then to diabetes if enough non-diabetics are able to monitor their insulin levels over the years. I'm sure whichever company can make this a real product, and affordable for personal use, will have the opportunity to sell a ton of them.

Hi, I will. I have a vested interest in this. If my employer accepted the idea it would bring me a significant share of the first year's revenue ...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102460 on: September 20, 2021, 05:33:31 pm »
That's really cute. Regarding this -

It appears to be all there except for the probe ends. The probe cables coming out of the unit terminate in male BNC's.  :-//

You mean someone modded the original probe ends? I don't see a clear picture of those elsewhere.

Dunno, gotta RTFM.  :D

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102461 on: September 20, 2021, 05:36:39 pm »

"Was" for someone who still "is" is common Australian English usage,--------maybe also French?

Yes this is exactly it. We say "was" even if talking to the person in the eye and he/she is very much alive and talking to you !   :-DD
Interesting to know some English speaking countries do the same.. but not all of them.  Makes life more difficult for the foreigner that I am...
And the Germans do it too then... how comes...

Interesting!  I do not think the Quebec French is like that.  Then again, I may not catch all those nuances in a fast social conversation.
I do see some similarity between using reflexive pronouns (pronom réfléchi) and the past perfect (passé composé), but the presence of the pronoun should clarify it .....
I guess that is the nature of slang, to drop something from the words when there is some other way to get the context. 
Except, you can count on some of us needing the context to be explicit.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102462 on: September 20, 2021, 05:40:19 pm »
I had gathered by now that Saskia was a she. Mansaxel is too then ?! So that's too girls on a nerdy forum, I am impressed. Any other girl on TEA ? BU ? BD ? Specmaster ? Zucca ?  Don't be shy...

I identify as an attack helicopter.

That's perfectly fine with me, I just love helicopters  8)

But French helicopters go round the wrong way!

:-DD

I don't know if there is a right or wrong way, however it is true that the main rotor on French helicopters does turn one direction but helis from the US or other countries rotate in the opposite direction !  :-//
This is less and less true though, since the French helis are now less and less French. The EC135 and 145 IIRC are originally an old German design so their rotor is turning the "right" way. Also, newer designs like the EC175 were co-designed with the Chinese so I suspect it also turns the "right"/"international" way.

As years go by and older French designs get phased out, progressively all French helis will rotate the same direction as the rest of the heli world...

I never knew that ... until now.
Thanks!  :-+ :-+ :-+  Some time in the future, I am certain this little bit of information is going to save me from embarrassment at work.

EDIT:  I am only 3 pages behind today... doing good

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102463 on: September 20, 2021, 05:48:37 pm »
There is this 3478A on eBay if anyone is looking for one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274949249296

There is also another 3478A listed on kijiji somewhat locally to me in Ottawa at a reasonable/good price ($140 CAD).  A picture shows it working to measure resistance, but not showing if it is 2-wire or 4-wire mode.  Other functions not shown.
However, my spidey sense is firing full strength.
I have seen many ads from this seller, always listing items at a price at least double what they are worth ... why is this one not overpriced like the rest?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #102464 on: September 20, 2021, 05:51:55 pm »
There is this 3478A on eBay if anyone is looking for one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274949249296

There is also another 3478A listed on kijiji somewhat locally to me in Ottawa at a reasonable/good price ($140 CAD).  A picture shows it working to measure resistance, but not showing if it is 2-wire or 4-wire mode.  Other functions not shown.
However, my spidey sense is firing full strength.
I have seen many ads from this seller, always listing items at a price at least double what they are worth ... why is this one not overpriced like the rest?

It should show on the display whether it's in 2-wire or 4-wire mode; it'll indicate 2Ω or 4Ω respectively.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102465 on: September 20, 2021, 06:04:13 pm »
https://youtu.be/unRKKRZMAVI

this is what you would be looking for ...

geeeee...... that is a recipe for airframe fatigue and engine LCF ... Time for an overhaul .... NOW!

-- entertaining to watch, from afar

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #102466 on: September 20, 2021, 06:07:55 pm »
And my score for today via USPS.

One item I was expecting and knew what it was and the second item I knew it was coming but had no idea what it was.

First, Baby Tek 212. Packaging was excellent. It appears to be all there except for the probe ends. The probe cables coming out of the unit terminate in male BNC's.  :-// It's heavy which indicates there might be dead and leaky NiCads in it. I'll tear it down later. Dunno if it powers up. Ad said for parts or not working.

Next. I knew something else was coming but didn't know what it was. Also, excellent packaging. This is thanks to AVG. The Tektronix coffee mug. :-+ This will go perfectly with the 547 mug to show up hopefully by the end of this week.

Thanks AVG, that was a surprise and I really appreciate it!  ;D

Sláinte!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102467 on: September 20, 2021, 06:32:36 pm »
The big reveal. The NiCad packs are intact and not leaking.  :phew: But they are apparently deader than dead. I tried applying mains and don't even get a power light. The batteries apparently are part of the overall PSU and if one of the packs goes open you gots no power. Another good thing is that I don't think anyone has been in here since it left the factory. So no Gorilla activity. But not so the probes. They are missing and instead are BNC males. But that's no big deal really, I'll figure something out.

I understand you can remove the batteries and install jumpers to get the PSU to come up. Will investigate that tomorrow.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #102468 on: September 20, 2021, 06:34:53 pm »
congrats 25 CPS! Thanks for saving them!

It worth saving what it is still valuable.

Reuse, repair, recycle!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, AVGresponding

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #102470 on: September 20, 2021, 06:41:47 pm »
But not so the probes. They are missing and instead are BNC males. But that's no big deal really, I'll figure something out.

"Custom" job on the probe cables, seemingly to conveniently attach directly to some device's outputs or test points for long-term monitoring.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102472 on: September 20, 2021, 06:46:18 pm »
@Vince:

I suspect it's as much because smaller helis are wont to be sent into tighter spots where manoeuverability is dangerously compromised for those with tail rotors, whereas bigger ones are less likely to find themselves there.
I shouldn't think there would be any issues regarding scalability, since the function of thrust on the tail boom is to counter the torque of the main rotor, and a more powerful engine will have more exhaust thrust available to be used.

Maybe there are licensing issues too, might be cheaper to use a conventional gearbox and rotor than have to pay the license cost on top of the re-engineering?

-Pat

The NOTAR design should be inherently more reliable than a conventional gearbox and tail rotor, as there are fewer stressed moving parts.

The NOTAR design is not simpler than a conventional tail rotor and does not use the engine exhaust. This is a common misconception.  It uses a fan driven from the engine and as engine RPM is basically fixed in a helo it has to be variable pitch.
Most of the anti-torque  comes from the side of the tail boom. There is a slot along the boom that blows air across it creating sideways "lift". The rotating nozzle at the end is fine tuning. 
The only real advantage over a fennestron is low noise.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 06:48:03 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #102473 on: September 20, 2021, 06:48:01 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/nanovolt-design-challenge-build-and-show-your-own-nv-meter-in-256-days/

:scared:

how beautiful is this:

this is such a sexy board.... even with the bodges....

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, capt bullshot, Mortymore, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, FransW, factory, cyclin_al, syau

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102474 on: September 20, 2021, 06:50:10 pm »
*teasing* med ...
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/tektronix-547-oscilloscope-oszillograf-oszillograph-roehrengeraet/1846064433-168-9196

If my Type 547 were still a stinking piece of shit that price would make me cry. But since mine is now on the road to recovery it's sorta meh.  :-// :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf