Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15278632 times)

factory, RolandK, Vince, ddrl46, ch_scr, wkb, RobinLox and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102575 on: September 21, 2021, 11:59:12 am »

It might not be totalled, it largely depends on the type of engine, in some engines, the pistons do not hit the valves in these circumstances, does the cylinder head have a totally flat finish or are the valves in a recessed combustion bowl? If its the latter, it may just require a new belt and timing alignment again.

The Volvo engines of that generation, B6304 in the S90/V90, are interference engines. A broken belt equals a broken engine.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102576 on: September 21, 2021, 12:00:47 pm »
@Saskia I don't know if this is on your watchlist but i just received a seller offer of £500 on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS3032-TDS3052-500MHz-5GSa-s-2-Ch-Digital-Oscilloscope-USB-RS232-/284458265780

EDIT: Fixed the link, sorry...

does not post to Germany.

In other news, Hubby just totalled his Volvo S90 (the 1996 one). Timing belt went sploink. Eff my life. |O |O |O |O

Ouch. I know the feeling. In December 2010 at 117K miles I had the timing belt replaced on the Honda Civic by what I thought was a competent mechanic.

Exactly one year later on December 2011 at 134K miles the timing belt snapped. Had it towed to another mechanic. Their assessment: All 16 valves were bent so the head would have to be pulled and rebuilt. There are witness marks on the top of the pistons where the valves hit them. The good news: No cylinder wall scoring and no damage to the bottom end of the engine. They concluded that the engine was fine except for the head and was worth fixing. I agreed. Now I know mnem is gonna come back and say there WAS damage to the bottom end of the engine. I will restate that there was not. That same engine now has 193K miles on it and runs like a top with no odd noises.

I was without the car for 2 weeks while the head was rebuilt. Cost was an arse ripping $2K but in the end was worth it.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102577 on: September 21, 2021, 12:01:32 pm »
In other news, Hubby just totalled his Volvo S90 (the 1996 one). Timing belt went sploink. Eff my life. |O |O |O |O

Sorry to hear.  :(

What have you Murphy done, that he is hitting you and your husband that hard?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102578 on: September 21, 2021, 12:02:34 pm »
@Saskia I don't know if this is on your watchlist but i just received a seller offer of £500 on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tektronix-TDS3032-TDS3052-500MHz-5GSa-s-2-Ch-Digital-Oscilloscope-USB-RS232-/284458265780

Ouch. I know the feeling. In December 2010 at 117K miles I had the timing belt replaced on the Honda Civic by what I thought was a competent mechanic.

Exactly one year later on December 2011 at 134K miles the timing belt snapped. Had it towed to another mechanic. Their assessment: All 16 valves were bent so the head would have to be pulled and rebuilt. There are witness marks on the top of the pistons where the valves hit them. The good news: No cylinder wall scoring and no damage to the bottom end of the engine. They concluded that the engine was fine except for the head and was worth fixing. I agreed. Now I know mnem is gonna come back and say there WAS damage to the bottom end of the engine. I will restate that there was not. That same engine now has 193K miles on it and runs like a top with no odd noises.

I was without the car for 2 weeks while the head was rebuilt. Cost was an arse ripping $2K but in the end was worth it.  :o

Never worth fixing that shit here. Throw it away and buy another one. It’d be cheaper than paying a morlock to fix it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102579 on: September 21, 2021, 12:06:22 pm »
In other news, the postman has just been and dropped off a parcel for me, was it the Fluke 85.... No it was a parcel from Aliexpress with a load of those elusive shrouded safety meter adaptors to all the leads to be on other older meters which either have 4mm banana sockets or screw down clamp terminals. I also decided to get my self some hole cleaners for when removing a TH part and some solder remains in the hole making inserting the new part difficult, particularly of ground planes.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102580 on: September 21, 2021, 12:07:02 pm »

For those laughing at my Peugeot 107, it has a timing chain & a completely new motor is ~500€ (bare motor but still...)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102581 on: September 21, 2021, 12:09:52 pm »

Never worth fixing that shit here. Throw it away and buy another one. It’d be cheaper than paying a morlock to fix it.

Found the pictures. Pix 1 is the shredded timing belt wrapped around the tensioner. Pix 2 is one of the 16 bent valves.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102582 on: September 21, 2021, 12:14:31 pm »

Found the pictures. Pix 1 is the shredded timing belt wrapped around the tensioner. Pix 2 is one of the 16 bent valves.

I doubt the first mechanic actually replaced the timing belt, if he did, then did he also replace the tensioner ?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102583 on: September 21, 2021, 12:14:55 pm »

For those laughing at my Peugeot 107, it has a timing chain & a completely new motor is ~500€ (bare motor but still...)

All Honda 4 cylinder engines are now timing chain. CR-V is a timing chain. Honda V-6 engines still use a timing belt.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102584 on: September 21, 2021, 12:17:16 pm »

I doubt the first mechanic actually replaced the timing belt, if he did, then did he also replace the tensioner ?

Nope, it was replaced. I provided the new parts and asked for and got the old parts. I thought was that they set the new tensioner too tight.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102585 on: September 21, 2021, 12:25:57 pm »
I found this video on TekWiki and it answered many of my questions concerning the 212. First, you can operate it without the batteries by installing some jumpers. And I noted the suggestions here concerning restoring the NiCad packs but why bother because they ultimately aren't going to maintain a charge and will need to be replaced anyway. But in this video he simply substituted NiMH packs. I thought they had different charge requirements vs NiCad. Is that really a good idea without modifying the charge circuit?

I remember there is a flaw in the charging circuit of this or another Tek mini scopes: The charge circuit will drain the batteries when not in use. Now I have to find where I found this information...
Regarding NiCd vs. NiMH in this case, I would not bother to change the charger. Only problem I can see is the charger will take nearly double the time to charge the batteries.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102586 on: September 21, 2021, 12:27:08 pm »
Just take a 1 Farad electrolytic capacitor, load it to 24V and unload it over the Nicads. That will burn the formed crystals and you might restore (part of) the initial capacity.
Frans

Hmm, \$\frac{1}{2}CV^2 = 0.5 \cdot 1 \cdot {24}^2 = 288\$ joules. That's about the same energy as a .38 short handgun round. What could possibly go wrong?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102587 on: September 21, 2021, 12:30:00 pm »
Just take a 1 Farad electrolytic capacitor, load it to 24V and unload it over the Nicads. That will burn the formed crystals and you might restore (part of) the initial capacity.
Frans

Hmm, \$\frac{1}{2}CV^2 = 0.5 \cdot 1 \cdot {24}^2 = 288\$ joules. That's about the same energy as a .38 short handgun round. What could possibly go wrong?

I don't have a 1 farad cap so it's a moot point.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102588 on: September 21, 2021, 12:50:12 pm »
I know someone who lost their timing belt after 850 miles on a new Range Rover  :-DD

Thats kind of bad timing. But with a new car it will be covered by the guarantee.
If you try to provoke the timing belt disaster, it will not happen. I omitted the scheduled change (Daihatsu Charade G100, that was the fun version with the 1.3i/16V/66kW engine but only about 800kg weight) of the belt at 200Mm (dunno how many furlongs that is...), as the overall state of the car was not that good any more, and drove it until 255Mm. Then the overall state was that bad, that the car had to be replaced anyway.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102589 on: September 21, 2021, 12:54:29 pm »

You don't have a bicycle?  :-DD
(SCNR, it's probably only funny for the Germans here)  ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102590 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:47 pm »

It might not be totalled, it largely depends on the type of engine, in some engines, the pistons do not hit the valves in these circumstances, does the cylinder head have a totally flat finish or are the valves in a recessed combustion bowl? If its the latter, it may just require a new belt and timing alignment again.

The Volvo engines of that generation, B6304 in the S90/V90, are interference engines. A broken belt equals a broken engine.

An "interference engine" sounds like something that might be constructed by some madman steampunk villain: "Put her in ..[long pause].. the interference engine. Set the fiddlers to 10 and the gropers on 11! Bwahhahaha.".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102591 on: September 21, 2021, 01:13:34 pm »

He said a Farad Cap, not a Farad. So he doesn't have one of these. He may still own a bicycle.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #102592 on: September 21, 2021, 02:07:31 pm »

He said a Farad Cap, not a Farad. So he doesn't have one of these. He may still own a bicycle.

McBryce.

Must be a European thing. I don't get it. And that's OK, don't want to know.  ::) :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Runco990

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102593 on: September 21, 2021, 02:25:58 pm »

Yes..... yes it is!   :-DD

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102594 on: September 21, 2021, 02:26:07 pm »
An "interference engine" sounds like something that might be constructed by some madman steampunk villain: "Put her in ..[long pause].. the interference engine. Set the fiddlers to 10 and the gropers on 11! Bwahhahaha.".

Still better than an inference engine. They are said to be far more complicated.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #102595 on: September 21, 2021, 02:26:38 pm »

McBryce.

Must be a European thing. I don't get it. And that's OK, don't want to know.  ::) :D

Nothing to get here: German <-> English: Fahrrad <-> bicycle
Fahrrad <-> farad - spelled wrong (very old engineering joke)
fa(hr)rad cap <-> bicycle cap
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102596 on: September 21, 2021, 02:28:55 pm »
Microfarad = Small German bike
Megacycle  = Big English bike

(I'll let myself out)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, Specmaster, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, mansaxel, cyclin_al, AVGresponding, tonyalbus, Neper

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102597 on: September 21, 2021, 02:30:43 pm »

Nah. I actually got that one  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #102598 on: September 21, 2021, 02:36:12 pm »
A typical German flatjoke.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #102599 on: September 21, 2021, 02:36:34 pm »

I'm transitioning... went back on hard keto last night; nothing but eggs and meats I've cooked from raw for the next week, until my guts get used to it and start working again.

I'm tired of feeling mostly like shit all the time because I'm right on the keto borderline; may as well feel like total shit for a few days and get it over with. |O

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf