Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406400 times)

Carl_Smith, zepto and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102925 on: September 23, 2021, 09:25:58 am »
No, the dark web comes to him for advice on such matters. :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

I once ran into a former boss at the monthly London Fetish Fair.

Me:[taps him on shoulder]  "Hello Martin (not his real name)." [To his boyfriend] "Hello Bobby"
Him: [slightly taken aback] "Oh, hello. I didn't expect to meet you, here."
[We catch up briefly. As we do various people go past and say "Hi Cerebus" in passing]
Him: "Erm, you seem to know a lot of people here."
Me: [archly] "Yes, I do don't I."

Truthfully, I'm remarkably 'vanilla' as it is known in these circles, but at one point I knew everybody who was anybody among London's respectable perverted. I used to get invited to all the parties, and I've seen things that would have given Mary Whitehouse a heart attack on the spot.

I seem to attract weird and interesting people, not something that I have any intention of discouraging. Even if we don't share whatever defining characteristic that marks them out from 'ordinary' people I just take people as I find and that generally means that I can get on with almost anybody. As a consequence I have got to meet and know all sorts of odd fellows and it makes for an interesting life.

And that is my excuse for knowing what BD's on about when he makes a sideways reference to some obscure fetish. What's yours?

I did some thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that it’s a simple function of I=D/M^2

I = probability of interesting interactions
D= how drunk you are
M=distance from middle of London.

Recent datapoint suggests that to compensate for Clapham I’d have to drink so much that the interesting people would be most likely be at Lambeth Hospital.

This theory also explains why you should never go out in small towns.
Hmm, last time I checked I thought Soho was more to the west, rather than middle of London  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #102926 on: September 23, 2021, 09:58:47 am »

mnem

Me:[taps him on shoulder]  "Hello Martin (not his real name)." [To his boyfriend] "Hello Bobby"
[We catch up briefly. As we do various people go past and say "Hi Cerebus" in passing]

Truthfully, I'm remarkably 'vanilla' as it is known in these circles, but at one point I knew everybody who was anybody among London's respectable perverted. I used to get invited to all the parties, and I've seen things that would have given Mary Whitehouse a heart attack on the spot.

I seem to attract weird and interesting people, not something that I have any intention of discouraging. Even if we don't share whatever defining characteristic that marks them out from 'ordinary' people I just take people as I find and that generally means that I can get on with almost anybody. As a consequence I have got to meet and know all sorts of odd fellows and it makes for an interesting life.

And that is my excuse for knowing what BD's on about when he makes a sideways reference to some obscure fetish. What's yours?

I did some thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that it’s a simple function of I=D/M^2

D= how drunk you are

Recent datapoint suggests that to compensate for Clapham I’d have to drink so much that the interesting people would be most likely be at Lambeth Hospital.

Hmm, last time I checked I thought Soho was more to the west, rather than middle of London  :-DD

Nah. It is the centre of London. Especially at night. Unless you live in north London, when Soho is near the southern boundary. But I live near a city where the city centre isn't.

A better criticism might be that central London is merely small towns that have grown together.

(Apologies to overseas readers; most of that will be incomprehensible unless you've lived near London)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 10:02:17 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #102927 on: September 23, 2021, 11:28:00 am »
why do I suddenly have to think of Frank Zappa ...

https://youtu.be/RrKKt6NprVM

Yeah... not experienced directly, but definitely "going on in the next room" in more than one gathering. I was more into TENS abuse back then.

mnem
Hey... it was worthless on my back injury; might as well get some use of it... ;)

Nothing like TENS twitches.  Sadly, back then, I couldn't afford my own, had to rely on my Chiropractor for my fix.  My issues don't really come from injuries so much as losing the birth defect lottery.  I have 2 lower lumbar vertebrae that are canted at an interesting angle from each other front to back.  Also a pelvic bone issue.  No one's pelvic bone is level but mine is off center by an inch and a half.  First major injury was being out of work for 6 weeks picking up an empty box back in the 1980's.  Thankfully, it was on company time so I ended up on workman's comp and that's how I met my Chiropractor.  Nowadays, I rarely mess up my back and when I do, Mrs. GreyWoolfe comes to the rescue with a steady supply of Flexoril out of her Apothecary. 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:53:32 am by GreyWoolfe »
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #102928 on: September 23, 2021, 11:43:50 am »
:rant: mode = ON
Have spammers nothing better to do than  :horse: my inbox ?  :bullshit:
7 in 24 hrs FFS !
 :rant: = OFF  ::)

Be glad it's just email spam.

Yesterday, I got a spam message on my phone saying I was getting excessive spam messages and to click here.
A recent one....  :bullshit:

Thank you for creating an account. To complete the registration process, please choose one of the options below to verify your e-mail address.
Creating an account allows you trade, exchange your funds.
Account Balance: $18525.57

Followed by a dodgy link !  :scared:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #102929 on: September 23, 2021, 11:55:40 am »

mnem

D= how drunk you are

Unless your particular fetish includes farm animals, that's probably wise.  :o

Our local watering hole didn't have peanut shells on the floor deliberately like next town over, but sometimes you wish they did.

One thing that still sticks in my mind... the owner was such a cheap bastard (or maybe it was to eliminate a non-biliard-ball source of ammunition for pelting the bartender) he didn't buy chalk for the cheap bar-service 7/8 pool table which of course leaned top-right (why is it always top-right...?), even after some guy threw another guy through it and it had to be replaced... anyhoo... so there were numerous holes aboot the size of a dime that had been worn into the brick fascia walls around the pool table.

The holes in the "grout" were to rough the tip; the holes in the "brick" were to use instead of chalk. And everybody there seemed to think this was perfectly normal. :palm:

*mnemories*
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:20:54 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102930 on: September 23, 2021, 12:17:20 pm »
Talking of animals, Mnem mentioning Otter Boxes reminds me of a phrase that I heard for the first time in ages the other day: "Wet as an otter's pocket" as in "E, it's raining cats and dogs out there; it's wet as an otter's pocket".
Heh... One of the localisms I remember from my youth working with other mechanics (in reference to a particularly overtightened or stuck bolt) was "Tighter than a frog's asshole, and that's watertight!"

mnem
damn... haven't heard that one in a coon's age...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 03:14:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102931 on: September 23, 2021, 12:31:59 pm »

mnem

D= how drunk you are

Nah. It is the centre of London. Especially at night. Unless you live in north London, when Soho is near the southern boundary. But I live near a city where the city centre isn't.

A better criticism might be that central London is merely small towns that have grown together.

(Apologies to overseas readers; most of that will be incomprehensible unless you've lived near London)
Nope; makes perfect sense. Pittsburgh is exactly the same, only the towns are in the foothills of the Allegheny mountains, so geography can make "going to the next town over" very interesting... Especially with a foot or more of snow on the ground.  :o

mnem
*trying to get this posted before the battery in my tablet runs ouuuu...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102932 on: September 23, 2021, 12:42:18 pm »
Ahha we have a delivery this morning. Big thanks to BU508A :-+

Also I need to tidy up my desk :-DD

Congrats! You won the race!  :clap:  :-+
Curious, who'll be next: med6753 or cyclin_al   :D

Woohoo!  We have a race for last place.  I am quite confident who that will be....

EDIT:  Similarly, mine have been stuck in Frankfurt since the 18th.
Maybe even the cup is too heavy for the plane?  :-//

Apparently not!  Breakfast in Canada:

Thanks Mounty!  This is greatly appreciated.  ;D

footnote1:  That is the best packaging I have ever seen!  :-+

footnote2:  Tracking information still shows the package in Frankfurt.

footnote3:  There is something in the image to keep Vince happy too...  :P

« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:44:00 pm by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102933 on: September 23, 2021, 12:51:12 pm »
why do I suddenly have to think of Frank Zappa ...

https://youtu.be/RrKKt6NprVM

Yeah... not experienced directly, but definitely "going on in the next room" in more than one gathering. I was more into TENS abuse back then.

mnem
Hey... it was worthless on my back injury; might as well get some use of it... ;)

Nothing like TENS twitches.  Sadly, back then, I couldn't afford my own, had to rely on my Chiropractor for my fix.  My issues don't really come from injuries so much as losing the birth defect lottery.  I have 2 lower lumbar vertebrae that are canted at an interesting angle from each other front to back.  Also a pelvic bone issue.  No one's pelvic bone is level but mine is off center by an inch and a half.  First major injury was being out of work for 6 weeks picking up an empty box back in the 1980's.  Thankfully, it was on company time so I ended up on workman's comp and that's how I met my Chiropractor.  Nowadays, I rarely mess up my back and when I do, Mrs. GreyWoolfe comes to the rescue with a steady supply of Flexoril out of her Apothecary.
Yup. It's a constant walk on a knife-edge trying to balance  the need to protect your back with the need to be a productive member of society. Flexeril... Jeez, haven't even heard that name in forever. I did find myself wishing for some not long ago when I had a stinger in my shoulder blades that lasted a week and couldn't sleep.

mnem
 :o

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102934 on: September 23, 2021, 01:03:27 pm »
Mini rant. Human incompetence reaches a new plateau today. Funeral director “accidentally” sends flowers to wrong funeral despite being labelled with a tag of the person and actually communicating the persons name in person :palm: :palm: :palm:

“Accidentally”

“Accidentally” has gone from a freak occurrence to absolving people of incompetence, inability or inattention which is what this is. There are no consequences for these so they are the norm.

I’m starting to see the merit in china’s social credit score suddenly. But public reviews it’ll have to be. And probably hitting the bastards with moneyclaim.

Grr.

Edit: at least ebay allows us to punish shitty sellers both on the finance and reputation front.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:07:13 pm by bd139 »

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102935 on: September 23, 2021, 01:09:48 pm »
Ahha we have a delivery this morning. Big thanks to BU508A :-+

Also I need to tidy up my desk :-DD

Congrats! You won the race!  :clap:  :-+
Curious, who'll be next: med6753 or cyclin_al   :D

Woohoo!  We have a race for last place.  I am quite confident who that will be....

EDIT:  Similarly, mine have been stuck in Frankfurt since the 18th.
Maybe even the cup is too heavy for the plane?  :-//

Apparently not!  Breakfast in Canada:

Thanks Mounty!  This is greatly appreciated.  ;D

footnote1:  That is the best packaging I have ever seen!  :-+

footnote2:  Tracking information still shows the package in Frankfurt.

footnote3:  There is something in the image to keep Vince happy too...  :P

Cool! Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad, that it arrived without any damage. I really wanted to make sure,
that the mug will arrive without damage.

And med was right: USPS or US-customs are a black hole. Curious, when it will arrive there.

Congrats to the second winner.  ;D :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102936 on: September 23, 2021, 01:13:51 pm »
Mini rant. Human incompetence reaches a new plateau today. Funeral director “accidentally” sends flowers to wrong funeral despite being labelled with a tag of the person and actually communicating the persons name in person :palm: :palm: :palm:

“Accidentally”

“Accidentally” has gone from a freak occurrence to absolving people of incompetence, inability or inattention which is what this is. There are no consequences for these so they are the norm.

I’m starting to see the merit in china’s social credit score suddenly. But public reviews it’ll have to be. And probably hitting the bastards with moneyclaim.

Grr.

Edit: at least ebay allows us to punish shitty sellers both on the finance and reputation front.

I don't want to seem disrespectful, but this film promptly came to my mind.

Sure, that the Funeral director isn't Frank Oz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_at_a_Funeral_(2007_film)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:16:42 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102937 on: September 23, 2021, 01:15:52 pm »
Arrival today and a little riddle for you:
where does this mainboard coming from?

Edit:
to be more specific: from which device is this mainboard coming from?

@Zucca: Yes, you are right.  :P ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 01:27:29 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #102938 on: September 23, 2021, 01:23:30 pm »

From a time when the 4 layer board where too expensive or not invented yet.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102939 on: September 23, 2021, 01:25:25 pm »

“Accidentally”

Grr.

I don't want to seem disrespectful, but this film promptly came to my mind.

Sure, that the Funeral director isn't Frank Oz?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_at_a_Funeral_(2007_film)

Hahaha haven’t seen that. Will watch.  :-DD

Not an emotionally close relation here for ref. Just geographically close so I’ve been helping ferry people around and delivering flowers etc. Was hoping for something to go smoothly for the closer relatives but alas nope, some fetid imbecile always creeps in.

I fail to see how we got as far as we have as a species.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102940 on: September 23, 2021, 02:04:17 pm »

Edit:

Well you got me on that one. Design cues suggest something analogue and carefully designed with some amount of digital brains on this board driving the whole show. Only thing I can see is “MATH MOTHER BD” so it’s clearly the brains of the outfit.

Calibrator? No idea  :-DD

Edit: ooh hang on are those displays at the bottom?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 02:06:31 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102941 on: September 23, 2021, 02:06:22 pm »
You are having the right ideas.  :-+  ;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102942 on: September 23, 2021, 02:08:20 pm »
Nixie DMM?

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102943 on: September 23, 2021, 02:11:01 pm »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102944 on: September 23, 2021, 02:16:39 pm »
I’m out of guessing juice now :(

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102945 on: September 23, 2021, 02:19:11 pm »
Let's see, what other TEA fellows will guess.  :)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102946 on: September 23, 2021, 02:46:30 pm »

Edit:

Well you got me on that one. Design cues suggest something analogue and carefully designed with some amount of digital brains on this board driving the whole show. Only thing I can see is “MATH MOTHER BD” so it’s clearly the brains of the outfit.

Calibrator? No idea  :-DD

Edit: ooh hang on are those displays at the bottom?

Are sure that you didn't just see the "math' of 'mathmos'? Could be part of an interference engine.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #102947 on: September 23, 2021, 02:53:34 pm »
Today I demanded that some guys not doing their job and piling their stuff on me be fired on the spot.

This is currently escalating ...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102948 on: September 23, 2021, 02:56:16 pm »
There are 7 identical parts, with a daisy chain line, eg. a carry bit. So it may be a 7 digit counter or a calculator. Maybe it looks HP-ish.
5245M does not have motherboard yet, 5326a has 7 Digits, but 2 ICs per Digit. So something between these may be. The holes are for air-flow, so it may be something that heats.
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #102949 on: September 23, 2021, 02:59:14 pm »
Today I demanded that some guys not doing their job and piling their stuff on me be fired on the spot.

This is currently escalating ...

Nuke 'em from orbit fire 'em on the spot - it's the only way to be sure ...  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf