Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406336 times)

barkevko, Carl_Smith, zepto and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #102950 on: September 23, 2021, 03:01:08 pm »
Today I demanded that some guys not doing their job and piling their stuff on me be fired on the spot.

This is currently escalating ...

Sounds like a normal working day for me  :-DD

Managed to piss someone off enough so they left. That’s the preferred outcome :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, shakalnokturn

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102951 on: September 23, 2021, 03:06:25 pm »
There are 7 identical parts, with a daisy chain line, eg. a carry bit. So it may be a 7 digit counter or a calculator. Maybe it looks HP-ish.
5245M does not have motherboard yet, 5326a has 7 Digits, but 2 ICs per Digit. So something between these may be. The holes are for air-flow, so it may be something that heats.

Not really, but I think you could be one of the guys who can figure it out what it is. :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #102952 on: September 23, 2021, 03:06:49 pm »
Today I demanded that some guys not doing their job and piling their stuff on me be fired on the spot.

So... instead of a pistol on the desk for your next meeting, you'll have the 50mm...?  :-DD

mnem
brrraaapppp... braaaaaapp... brapppp-brappppp...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102953 on: September 23, 2021, 03:08:23 pm »
Arrival today and a little riddle for you:
where does this mainboard coming from?

Edit:
to be more specific: from which device is this mainboard coming from?

@Zucca: Yes, you are right.  :P ;D

Well you got me on that one. Design cues suggest something analogue and carefully designed with some amount of digital brains on this board driving the whole show. Only thing I can see is “MATH MOTHER BD” so it’s clearly the brains of the outfit.

Calibrator? No idea  :-DD

Edit: ooh hang on are those displays at the bottom?

Are sure that you didn't just see the "math' of 'mathmos'? Could be part of an interference engine.

Barbarella is ALWAYS an option, but not in this case.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102954 on: September 23, 2021, 03:11:53 pm »

Edit:

I'm thinking I see an array of keys on the one side... and at the bottom (if you flipped this PCB top for bottom), so first guess would be a old calculator. But the pattern of 5 "displays" kindof rules that out, unless they're some bastard 2-in-one thing...  :o

mnem
:wtf:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #102955 on: September 23, 2021, 03:13:34 pm »

Edit:

I'm thinking I see an array of keys on the one side... and at the bottom (if you flipped this PCB top for bottom), so first guess would be a old calculator. But the pattern of 5 "displays" kindof rules that out, unless they're some bastard 2-in-one thing...  :o

mnem
:wtf:

It is completely analog, no digital stuff is involved.
Manufactured in the 1970's (smells like that).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #102956 on: September 23, 2021, 03:23:00 pm »
No, the dark web comes to him for advice on such matters. :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

I once ran into a former boss at the monthly London Fetish Fair.

Me:[taps him on shoulder]  "Hello Martin (not his real name)." [To his boyfriend] "Hello Bobby"
Him: [slightly taken aback] "Oh, hello. I didn't expect to meet you, here."
[We catch up briefly. As we do various people go past and say "Hi Cerebus" in passing]
Him: "Erm, you seem to know a lot of people here."
Me: [archly] "Yes, I do don't I."

Truthfully, I'm remarkably 'vanilla' as it is known in these circles, but at one point I knew everybody who was anybody among London's respectable perverted. I used to get invited to all the parties, and I've seen things that would have given Mary Whitehouse a heart attack on the spot.

I seem to attract weird and interesting people, not something that I have any intention of discouraging. Even if we don't share whatever defining characteristic that marks them out from 'ordinary' people I just take people as I find and that generally means that I can get on with almost anybody. As a consequence I have got to meet and know all sorts of odd fellows and it makes for an interesting life.

And that is my excuse for knowing what BD's on about when he makes a sideways reference to some obscure fetish. What's yours?

I did some thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that it’s a simple function of I=D/M^2

I = probability of interesting interactions
D= how drunk you are
M=distance from middle of London.

Recent datapoint suggests that to compensate for Clapham I’d have to drink so much that the interesting people would be most likely be at Lambeth Hospital.

This theory also explains why you should never go out in small towns.

Unless your particular fetish includes farm animals, that's probably wise.  :o

A local auction has some Metcal tips up for grabs.

And that isn't an entirely inappropriate phrase for this item: https://www.i-bidder.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/bcva/catalogue-id-ibbc10207/lot-d9dffa4c-c724-4e4d-985c-adab00dde052 Warning: NSFW unless you are a vetinarian. At least I hope that's the case; one other item is for vets.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102957 on: September 23, 2021, 03:29:07 pm »
Mini rant. Human incompetence reaches a new plateau today. Funeral director “accidentally” sends flowers to wrong funeral despite being labelled with a tag of the person and actually communicating the persons name in person :palm: :palm: :palm:

“Accidentally”

“Accidentally” has gone from a freak occurrence to absolving people of incompetence, inability or inattention which is what this is. There are no consequences for these so they are the norm.

I’m starting to see the merit in china’s social credit score suddenly. But public reviews it’ll have to be. And probably hitting the bastards with moneyclaim.

Grr.

Edit: at least ebay allows us to punish shitty sellers both on the finance and reputation front.

I've been asking "When did a dumb blank look become an acceptable defense for being fundamentally incompetent at one's job...?" literally for decades. Still haven't received a competent answer.  |O

The number of vapid, useless, do-nothing ignorant shits who make 10 times more than I ever did working my ass off all my life I've seen... I mean seriously. One of the last places I worked at, doing actual production floor management and in part keeping the factory running... I made half as much as the receptionist in the lobby. Who was so ignorant and self-absorbed she showed her paycheck to another person (not even in the company) and complained loudly enough to hear throughout the room that it just wasn't enough for the 8 hours she had to sit on her ass all day.

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102958 on: September 23, 2021, 04:18:12 pm »

Edit:

Well you got me on that one. Design cues suggest something analogue and carefully designed with some amount of digital brains on this board driving the whole show. Only thing I can see is “MATH MOTHER BD” so it’s clearly the brains of the outfit.

Calibrator? No idea  :-DD

Edit: ooh hang on are those displays at the bottom?

Are sure that you didn't just see the "math' of 'mathmos'? Could be part of an interference engine.

Barbarella is ALWAYS an option, but not in this case.  :-DD

A counter?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102959 on: September 23, 2021, 04:19:22 pm »
Apparently not!  Breakfast in Canada:

footnote3:  There is something in the image to keep Vince happy too...  :P

How kind of you !  :D

Not sure what it is though ! I do like the Tektronix mug, even if we don't use mugs all that much over here. Certainly never had one in my life, and I am 44... so clearly not an essential part of life here ! ;D

The Peanut butter jar is labelled in French ! How odd... we are not into that stuff here ?!  :-/O
Or maybe we are and just have not noticed just yet...
Must be a local / Canadian company making it just for local consumption and labelled it in French to make it more posh and ask more money for it ?!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 04:22:12 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102960 on: September 23, 2021, 04:24:39 pm »
I think the forum is about to go down again folks, every time I go to say thanks to anyone, I a red cross appear, then a message saying that there was an error and the page jumps a few posts  |O  and then posts the thanks anyway  :wtf:
Anyone else seeing similar at all?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102961 on: September 23, 2021, 04:26:12 pm »
I think the forum is about to go down again folks, every time I go to say thanks to anyone, I a red cross appear, then a message saying that there was an error and the page jumps a few posts  |O  and then posts the thanks anyway  :wtf:

Yes nearly every time. It's a buggy ass PHP and MySQL pile of shit that needs to crawl back down the drain it crawled out of when it emerged from hell. It ain't gonna get better.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102962 on: September 23, 2021, 04:27:30 pm »

Nuke 'em from orbit fire 'em on the spot - it's the only way to be sure ...  :-+

But experience says, that is the one way to ensure everything gets piled on to whoever is left, which is not really the goal.

-- I am not looking for more work, thank you very much

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #102963 on: September 23, 2021, 04:32:11 pm »
Their entire team shines with incompetence.  I provided mgmt with a calculation of the cost we incur due to their not doing their job.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #102964 on: September 23, 2021, 04:36:04 pm »

Yes nearly every time. It's a buggy ass PHP and MySQL pile of shit that needs to crawl back down the drain it crawled out of when it emerged from hell. It ain't gonna get better.

Yep. I commented on the broken file attachment issue a few weeks ago in another area - why can't we get some of the smart guys here to fix it - but I got my ass handed to me, so that's the last time. It's broken and will cause something to break going forward - mark my words.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102965 on: September 23, 2021, 04:44:21 pm »

Not sure what it is though ! I do like the Tektronix mug, even if we don't use mugs all that much over here. Certainly never had one in my life, and I am 44... so clearly not an essential part of life here ! ;D

The Peanut butter jar is labelled in French ! How odd... we are not into that stuff here ?!  :-/O
Must be a local / Canadian company making it just for local consumption and labelled it in French to make it more posh and ask more money for it ?!  ;D

Not to worry, I have difficulty finding things directly in front of me.

The jar of "Tartinade de cassis" comes from St. Dalfour, France.
What I find odd is that cassis in French is the black currant only, and cassis in Quebecois is the red currant only.  In English, we differentiate the two currants by colour.

As for edibles, SWMBO and I are into different stuff here.  I assume her culinary interests are more French than the local Quebecois tastes.  I gew up in Ontario, which probably has closer links to the US in diet terms.
Peanut butter is much more of a north american thing in my experience.  In the GWN, the country is officially bilingual, so rotating the jar will reveal the english part of the label.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #102966 on: September 23, 2021, 04:46:58 pm »

Nope, semi-normal behaviour.  It happens to about 15% of the Thanks clicks I do, ever since I joined EEVblog.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102967 on: September 23, 2021, 04:48:04 pm »

Yep. I commented on the broken file attachment issue a few weeks ago in another area - why can't we get some of the smart guys here to fix it - but I got my ass handed to me, so that's the last time. It's broken and will cause something to break going forward - mark my words.

Totally agree with you. I saw that thread and decided not to comment because quite frankly I have the same arguments at work :-DD

As always we're sharecropping on a public forum which is always an operational risk for any community.

I really must finish that backup script but my love for writing code is being hampered by my employment. On a positive note I've got 23 days accrued holiday to use up before the end of the year so I might get bored after a week off. Actually I could take a month out and do a contract 🤔

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102968 on: September 23, 2021, 04:54:49 pm »
Totally agree with you. I saw that thread and decided not to comment because quite frankly I have the same arguments at work :-DD

As always we're sharecropping on a public forum which is always an operational risk for any community.

I really must finish that backup script but my love for writing code is being hampered by my employment. On a positive note I've got 23 days accrued holiday to use up before the end of the year so I might get bored after a week off. Actually I could take a month out and do a contract 🤔

It's really strange ... this place is full of very smart software and hardware geeks. They can tear into just about anything, tell you how it was made, re-engineer it, fix it, improve it. Nothing is off-limits! But for some reason the forum software is too hard to fix? I have installed, run, and dealt with these "mods" before. But it was over ten years ago and I'm way out of the loop on SMF now. But I do know, if I ever had one of those "mods" act buggy the first thing I did was get it the Hell off my forum before it caused more problems, no matter how many code inserts it made I went in and deleted them by hand if the uninstall didn't work.

Rant over I'm done, nothing will happen.  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102969 on: September 23, 2021, 05:02:05 pm »
Dealer promised to send my new DMM by UPS Express today so I'll have it tomorrow in time for the weekend. Just got a mail from DHL announcing that said parcel has just been registered with them, meaning it hasn't even left the dealer's premises and won't do so before some time tomorrow.

|O
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102970 on: September 23, 2021, 05:12:10 pm »

It's really strange ... this place is full of very smart software and hardware geeks. They can tear into just about anything, tell you how it was made, re-engineer it, fix it, improve it. Nothing is off-limits! But for some reason the forum software is too hard to fix? I have installed, run, and dealt with these "mods" before. But it was over ten years ago and I'm way out of the loop on SMF now. But I do know, if I ever had one of those "mods" act buggy the first thing I did was get it the Hell off my forum before it caused more problems, no matter how many code inserts it made I went in and deleted them by hand if the uninstall didn't work.

Indeed.

I was a mod on a major vbulletin forum here for a couple of years (3 million posts back in 2003!). The resident sysadmin was an asshat. There was an issue with attaching "jpeg" suffixed files vs "jpg". Eventually one of the "peons" as the sysadmin called them rooted the machine and patched vbulletin. Beware of technical users. Of course sysadmin was pissed with everyone about this and cut all the moderators off pointing fingers at us resulting in the place turning into a shit show rapidly.

About a month later someone else discovered the same vulnerability and caused enough destruction that they never went back online again. I got BCC'ed on a shitogram from the owner and the sysadmin. By that time I had a spectacular job title at a well known organisation with a lot of credibility so it was fun signing the response email suggesting that this was the sysadmin's fault. I got a vague legal threat back...  :palm:

Root cause analysis is same above  :-DD

Edit: elaboration...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 05:15:05 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, dl6lr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102971 on: September 23, 2021, 05:14:03 pm »

Not to worry, I have difficulty finding things directly in front of me.

The jar of "Tartinade de cassis" comes from St. Dalfour, France.

OK !  ;D  Well no wonder I didn't get it then... the picture is too small so the only thing I could make up was the peanut butter jar, not the one next to it..
Not sure it would have made any difference though, as I never heard of this cassisd thingy from Dalfour, enver heard of that town.

The thing is, I am not much into cooking.. all you foreigner seem to enjoy and know more about our products than I do.
The thing is I think, that foreigner only get a minuscule fraction of our French product... what the importer decided to flog to you.
But... here every little place has a specialty of sort, I could spend my life going throught every of the 36,000 villages over here to list whatever specialty they might have... so unless it's something ultra mega famous, ie stuff even non-cooks like, the average joe knows... then I am unlikely to ever hear about it !  :-[

I am sure your town has some specialty. A grand-ma somewhere near you that does excellent this or that... everybody in a 10 mile radius drives to her to get the stuff she makes... she is famous... but in France or anywhere else, we will never hear about that grand-ma !   :-\

I feel a bit embarrassed that foreigners are better at cooking than me the average stupid French bloke ! Just because I am French does not mean I know everything there is to know... especially WRT to food as there is just an infinity of nice products. You discover them as you move house and get to know the local stuff near your new place. You just can't know about all the good stuff going on 50 or 1000 kms from you at the other end of the ountry  :-\

Quote from: cyclin_al
What I find odd is that cassis in French is the black currant only, and cassis in Quebecois is the red currant only.  In English, we differentiate the two currants by colour.

Well that's what makes the various languages fun I find !  :-DD

It's like "RIGOL" which in French means have a laugh... like... " this chinese stuff is so ugly and crap that's it's laughable " !  ;D

Quote from: cyclin_al
In the GWN, the country is officially bilingual, so rotating the jar will reveal the english part of the label.

Really ?!  :-DD

Oh didn't know that, that's cool !  8)

Here we have more and more stuff that's written in Arabic and / or some incomprehensible eastern Europe language like  Polish or Hungarian or what have you. I guess it costs too much money to make a 100% French label for French stuff....  ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102972 on: September 23, 2021, 05:19:09 pm »

Gnif looks after the forum hardware and OS - I shall not proffer an opinion on whether he does that well or not. Dave looks after SMF. If you have seen any of Dave's videos where he has confronted anything that is not strictly "Windows User stuff" you should have formed your own opinion on how Dave would get on with the mess of Linuxy stuff involved in wrestling SMF into submission.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, xrunner, mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102973 on: September 23, 2021, 05:23:22 pm »
Their entire team shines with incompetence.  I provided mgmt with a calculation of the cost we incur due to their not doing their job.
Be careful, ultimately the management will not think any more of you for pointing out that certain people are slacking etc. When the time comes in management eyes, to fire your arse, none of the brownie points you have picked up along the way, will count for diddly squat.

In my experience, it is the ones that you are pointing out to management as being incompetent who will more often than not be the ones that get promoted etc, and you get held back because you're just too useful where you are.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #102974 on: September 23, 2021, 05:26:25 pm »

Gnif looks after the forum hardware and OS - I shall not proffer an opinion on whether he does that well or not. Dave looks after SMF. If you have seen any of Dave's videos where he has confronted anything that is not strictly "Windows User stuff" you should have formed your own opinion on how Dave would get on with the mess of Linuxy stuff involved in wrestling SMF into submission.

Thanks for chiming in Cerebus. Yes and here's the thing, if an Admin doesn't feel confident dealing with the errant SMF mod - get a volunteer that can fix it with one hand tied behind their back. They are here, it's just a matter of asking. Or - go to the SMF forum and ask for help with it, or ...  ask the mod developer for help ...  :-\ There - there are three avenues to go to for help.

Anyway, my rear still hurts from last ass-whipping about this so I better keep quiet!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf