Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549742 times)

ProtonFox, powerflux, SashPlane and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #103175 on: September 24, 2021, 07:25:59 pm »
I agree fully. A 'scope is not a precision instrument. Most are only 8 bit. At risk of being obvious, thats basically the same as 21/2 digit meter. Time and frequency is better, but not much. Only reason to calibrate a 'scope is to comply with a quality process. Yes there are exceptions before somone suggests one.
For accurate measurements there are better, instruments.

To be fair 2.5 digits is plenty for most measurements.

I shall now run away after tossing that hand grenade into a thread containing voltnuts  :-DD

To add insult to injury, for the high bandwidth scopes (like Keysight UXR) the effective number of bits can be as low as 5.something, making it a 1 1/2 digits meter at 110GHz. Keysight still claims it is useful.  >:D

Some of the 54500 series do that as well.

I think at 110GHz it's just about usable as an averaging scope for signal integrity testing i.e. eye diagrams and that's about it  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Wolfgang, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #103176 on: September 24, 2021, 07:28:42 pm »
Mine also passed such testing while I was building the soldering station... however after a few days it failed without warning, and shorted Vin to Vout exactly as stated. And if you click the link, you'll see this was evidently a well-known fail at the time.

If I were you, I wouldn't trust that module to power anything I give a damn aboot. ;)

mnem
*tzzzt*

I'll give it a soak test. Would a week running at 1.5A make you happy? I'm guessing you were running yours pretty hard if it was in a soldering iron station.

Seems the alignment isn't the best when you get close up...   :-DD

I was running it a couple volts under max Vin, but small enough current draw it never got "hot to the touch" even running for extended periods. My point was aboot the failure mode; which, at the time, several others in this thread warned me was a known issue and suggested I was better off harvesting passives from the remaining ones rather than implementing them for anything.

Honestly, I mean no disparagement; I was just trying to Pay It Forward and save you the misery I suffered.  :-//

mnem
 :-/O

Ok, I set it up to run 14.4V on the i/p as that's the highest I'll likely use any of them at, the o/p is set at 5V and I'm loading it to 1600mA. It's been running for 30 minutes or so and all is tickety-boo.

The reg ic is at 67°C, the input diode 72°C, and the load resistors at 107°C.  Hmm, cup of tea anyone..?   :-DD

Oh, and all the hot parts are sitting in a big Pyrex bowl, just in case...

Of course, you won't know that it isn't one of the questionable ones until you deliberately push it to the point of failure. Oh, and enough of its brothers to create a statistically significant sample size. >:D

mnem

Fuck my old boots, you're just being argumentative now. You could literally say that about any component from any manufacturer. And don't try that statistics bullshit, because I can tell you right now, statistics mean fuck-all on an individual basis, in either direction.

Of COURSE I was...! *extends paw in customary greeting* Hello, have we met...?

*points to self*
comic-relief dwagon, well-known agitator and rabble-rouser, stirring the TEA...? any of that ring a bell...? ;)

mnem
Was the prominently displayed wicked evil grin >:D not obvious enough that I was just agitating...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103177 on: September 24, 2021, 07:30:58 pm »
I agree fully. A 'scope is not a precision instrument. Most are only 8 bit. At risk of being obvious, thats basically the same as 21/2 digit meter. Time and frequency is better, but not much. Only reason to calibrate a 'scope is to comply with a quality process. Yes there are exceptions before somone suggests one.
For accurate measurements there are better, instruments.

The one measurement that I ever make on a scope with the intention of writing it down as any sort of end product in itself is one that is really quite hard to make on any other instrument that costs less than about £10k. That is DC-20MHz broadband voltage or current noise.

Luckily you can make that ±3% look much more respectable by writing it down as ±0.25dB.

Fluke 8920 8922 HP3404C or if you prefer analogue HP 3400. All these are thermal RMS meters.

I should have said "about £10k new". As far as I know no-one is making new thermal transfer meters/standards. There are still some in the RF space, but that doesn't help with the "DC-" requirement. Other then a thermal transfer, the only class of instrument I can think of that will do it easily, and to better than 3%, is a 3458A (other digitising wide bandwidth DVMs are available).

It's all moot anyway as 3% is plenty good enough for measuring the noise output of a DC supply.

All that said, if I found a good thermal transfer standard kicking around 'cheap' I'd probably bite the seller's hand off. It's a very straightforward way of parlaying a calibrated DC source indirectly into a traceable AC source for calibrating things.

Edit: Again, I should have said "good working thermal transfer standard" because, like their purely RF counterparts, these thing get blown up a lot.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 07:38:04 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103178 on: September 24, 2021, 07:38:25 pm »
Regarding the ongoing semantic argument (not the scope one)...

You are basically opening up an invitation for someone who doesn't know what syntax is and what semantics are (which in my experience is every computer programmer ever [except the actual experienced compiler writers]) to start an argument with you that you meant syntax.  :)

You broke my lexical analyser with unexpected bracketing  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, shakalnokturn, AVGresponding

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103179 on: September 24, 2021, 07:42:22 pm »
Smart phones won't cut it for me, unfortunately. I'm -110dB in one ear[1] and -80dB in the other. If the better ear gets any worse, I'm elegible for a cochlear implant!

You've a lower noise floor than a knock-off spectrum analyser! Does that make general life difficult? Can you watch normal TV etc? My father has typical age related bandwidth reduction. I've had to adjust his TV accordingly, but for "normal hearers" it sounds very wrong.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103180 on: September 24, 2021, 07:42:57 pm »

You are basically opening up an invitation for someone who doesn't know what syntax is and what semantics are (which in my experience is every computer programmer ever [except the actual experienced compiler writers]) to start an argument with you that you meant syntax.  :)

Erm, I think if I escape them that \[you'll get MathJax in display mode\].

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #103181 on: September 24, 2021, 07:47:38 pm »
     https://xkcd.com/859/

mnem
Here you go bd... let me just close that for ya.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103182 on: September 24, 2021, 07:50:57 pm »
     https://xkcd.com/859/

mnem
Here you go bd... let me just close that for ya.  >:D

)

:phew:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #103183 on: September 24, 2021, 07:53:22 pm »

Ooooh! A challenge ;)
())))))))))))))
<>> <
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103184 on: September 24, 2021, 08:09:39 pm »
One of my friends that I haven’t seen since February, 2020 (there are a lot of hard feelings about this, take note Pretty Boy Trudeau and Sleepy Joe, we have been and will be voting accordingly), and I spent a bit of the afternoon doing test equipment stuff.  We didn’t get into any of the Tektronix gear but moved outside with the insulation tester and some multimeter equipment and made use of this beautiful early autumn day.  One of the meters I was planning on using was dead though so I ended up checking it out after we finished up:

Halfway dead 9 volt battery.  That explains no signs of life out of the meter.  I thought it would be appropriate to check out one blue Agilent with another blue Agilent.

The stuff we did with the insulation tester is going to be a longer post I’ll have to write up later.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:11:40 pm by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103185 on: September 24, 2021, 08:15:07 pm »
Smart phones won't cut it for me, unfortunately. I'm -110dB in one ear[1] and -80dB in the other. If the better ear gets any worse, I'm elegible for a cochlear implant!

You've a lower noise floor than a knock-off spectrum analyser! Does that make general life difficult? Can you watch normal TV etc? My father has typical age related bandwidth reduction. I've had to adjust his TV accordingly, but for "normal hearers" it sounds very wrong.

McBryce.

It makes life less predictable in the sense that in a phone conversation I may or may not  be able to pick up the next word/sentence. Some people/accents are difficult for me, some aren't. English has a lot of redundancy, so I can infer many words - but not names.

As for TV, subtitling is very important. Surprsingly quite a few of the TV channels aimed at oldies don't have subtitles, presumably because they are too old/niche for it to be profitable. Also the "clear speech" type option means I can radically reduce the volume from ~50 to ~20, which helps my daughter!

One analogy I've found useful is to compare it to dyslexia. Apparently dyslexics describe it as having the letters jiggle around and swap positions. My hearing is much like that with phonemes. A sentence can be understandable except for one swkxhhwn buried in the middle. Repeating that swkxhhwn louder doesn't help, but if a different "sequence of letters" is used, then it becomes instantly recognisable that "swkxhhwn" is "word".

Fortunately, as is typical of engineers, I don't feel the need for continually interacting with carbon-based self-propelled virus factories. My daughter's (rather interesting/intelligent/demanding) dog is sufficient :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103186 on: September 24, 2021, 08:27:30 pm »
^D

Right! That's dealt with you lot's shenanigans.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103187 on: September 24, 2021, 08:37:11 pm »

Ooooh! A challenge ;)
())))))))))))))
<>> <

.injectRandomly (\$x^n\$)  \$: x \in \{"car", "cdr"\},n \in \mathbb{N}\$

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #103188 on: September 24, 2021, 08:48:29 pm »
Since I'm fasting, I should post these so someone else can suffer the weight gain. Apologies to BD if I'm exposing his watchlist again...   :popcorn:

Daaaddy scope d... oh, nvm...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373727165641

The next logical step

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185061761851

Bloody tggzzz or bloody Cerebus, I can't remember which one of them it is whose fault this is, but I can only read these as "Macaroni" now   >:(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194370937616

Entry level Keithley. Better than a Fluke 8000A, imo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165088350652

The legend. Nice clean one, too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284462545699

Revised entry level Keithley. Also better than a Fluke 8000A

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255147655235

When is a fluke not a fluke? When it's so commonplace to not elicit comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373730898549

It's a what now?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373730923011

Does it work? Does it matter if it does? Does it matter if it matters if it does?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115006202928

Not a Fluke, but it does have lots of digits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373333217775

This one is included purely for the entertainment value of the sellers' nickname

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294396889053

Confusing description aside, HFM?!?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114998077514

Someone save me, the seller is offering £25 off

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234194718439

Starting to look less like a fluke and more like an intention

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224617736290

Sooo many verniers...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265325844904

Dingyang huh? New model? Spidey-senses tingling on this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174950272540
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 08:50:41 pm by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103189 on: September 24, 2021, 08:52:18 pm »
To the UK people, if you are in need of fuel for your car, I suggest that you get it sooner rather than later. I have just got back from a late night shopping run because its quieter then, and every bleeding garage I drove by has long queues for fuel and a few in the City of already run out and closed. Tesco in Chelmsford, run out at 1pm and as their filling station is in the store car park near to the exit, they are queueing from the car park entrance only to discover when they reach the pumps that they have no fuel whatsoever left. I have some dashcam footage that I might stick on YT if anyone wants to see it :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103190 on: September 24, 2021, 08:54:49 pm »
So, yesterday my "bedtime reading" tablet, a Nexus 9 died. What had happened was that a tiny nub of silicone rubber on the ON/OFF/WAKE/SLEEP switch had worn flat, meaning that it no longer contacted a delicately placed actual tactile switch.

Anyway, this isn't directly about repairing that. But repairing it required a complete strip down, and that requires NOT losing lots of teeny tiny screws. So I christened the silicone rubber tray/swiss roll tin that I got after Mnem pointed his out. Dumped the silicone tray onto a normal "eating off your lap" tray, dumped the tablet onto it and started dismantling it.

"Bloody brilliant" is the conclusion that I have to come to. I stripped down the tablet yesterday and all the fiddley little bits have been sitting on that tray while I spent 24 hours building up a little nub of epoxy on the switch. Today, after the tray has been moved around several times every screw and fiddly little part was still sitting exactly where I put it on the tray. Made it really easy to get the right screw back in the right place.

Tablet reassembled, switch working. Silicone tray declared a winner.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103191 on: September 24, 2021, 08:56:32 pm »
To the UK people, if you are in need of fuel for your car, I suggest that you get it sooner rather than later. I have just got back from a late night shopping run because its quieter then, and every bleeding garage I drove by has long queues for fuel and a few in the City of already run out and closed. Tesco in Chelmsford, run out at 1pm and as their filling station is in the store car park near to the exit, they are queueing from the car park entrance only to discover when they reach the pumps that they have no fuel whatsoever left. I have some dashcam footage that I might stick on YT if anyone wants to see it :palm:

Yes, an appeal for people not to panic buy usually results in only one thing. It's not quite as bad Oop North, but we have fuckwits here too, sadly.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103192 on: September 24, 2021, 09:00:37 pm »
So, yesterday my "bedtime reading" tablet, a Nexus 9 died. What had happened was that a tiny nub of silicone rubber on the ON/OFF/WAKE/SLEEP switch had worn flat, meaning that it no longer contacted a delicately placed actual tactile switch.

Anyway, this isn't directly about repairing that. But repairing it required a complete strip down, and that requires NOT losing lots of teeny tiny screws. So I christened the silicone rubber tray/swiss roll tin that I got after Mnem pointed his out. Dumped the silicone tray onto a normal "eating off your lap" tray, dumped the tablet onto it and started dismantling it.

"Bloody brilliant" is the conclusion that I have to come to. I stripped down the tablet yesterday and all the fiddley little bits have been sitting on that tray while I spent 24 hours building up a little nub of epoxy on the switch. Today, after the tray has been moved around several times every screw and fiddly little part was still sitting exactly where I put it on the tray. Made it really easy to get the right screw back in the right place.

Tablet reassembled, switch working. Silicone tray declared a winner.

I never need to repair the switches on my PAPER books. True win there, imo. Bloody millennials, with their stupid electronic jiggery-pokery. Never happen in my day, I can tell you. Books are meant to be made out of paper and smell of libraries, mumble mumble rant rant   >:(
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103193 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:05 pm »
I never need to repair the switches on my PAPER books. True win there, imo. Bloody millennials, with their stupid electronic jiggery-pokery. Never happen in my day, I can tell you. Books are meant to be made out of paper and smell of libraries, mumble mumble rant rant   >:(

That could only be said by a man who either doesn't read in bed or has a SWMBO who stays asleep when hit with a searchlight. The rest of us, you know, the ones who still want have a sex life of some sort rather than end up sleeping in the dog house, have to make compromises if they want to read in bed.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neper

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103194 on: September 24, 2021, 09:15:11 pm »
I've just watched several posts appear, disappear, appear again, disappear again ...

I fear Dave may be sysadmining.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103195 on: September 24, 2021, 09:21:08 pm »
Bloody tggzzz or bloody Cerebus, I can't remember which one of them it is whose fault this is, but I can only read these as "Macaroni" now   >:(

Almost certainly me.

Don't forget Fanratti, HeaP - except when at a job interview there, when it is mandatory to use "Hewlett Packard" to avoid amusement/embarrassment.

I'm not aware of anything similar for GEC, except a guttural rumble and/or a spitting sound.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #103196 on: September 24, 2021, 09:21:12 pm »

Dingyang huh? New model? Spidey-senses tingling on this one...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174950272540

Parent company.  ;)
Same scope DSO as Med has.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103197 on: September 24, 2021, 09:26:50 pm »
One of my friends that I haven’t seen since February, 2020 (there are a lot of hard feelings about this, take note Pretty Boy Trudeau and Sleepy Joe, we have been and will be voting accordingly), and I spent a bit of the afternoon doing test equipment stuff.  We didn’t get into any of the Tektronix gear but moved outside with the insulation tester and some multimeter equipment and made use of this beautiful early autumn day.  One of the meters I was planning on using was dead though so I ended up checking it out after we finished up:

Halfway dead 9 volt battery.  That explains no signs of life out of the meter.  I thought it would be appropriate to check out one blue Agilent with another blue Agilent.

The stuff we did with the insulation tester is going to be a longer post I’ll have to write up later.

That reminds me of this

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103198 on: September 24, 2021, 09:29:40 pm »

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103199 on: September 24, 2021, 09:33:30 pm »

Now I didn't even know that fucktards were panic buying fuel  :palm:

Shooting out to join them  :-DD

Edit: got in the car. Tank already full. Winner  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:37:31 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, FransW, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf