Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14784883 times)

PA0PBZ, SingleBitError, Cesar_D, factory, BrianInTexas, Jambalaya, djadeski, K0ELB, klab, tggzzz, powerflux, Vince and 75 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #103250 on: September 25, 2021, 12:03:20 pm »

This popped up in my feed from one of my other Discords.  Just a nice lazy Illegal FPV afternoon out in the middle of nowhere, over a public road where the worst you have to worry aboot is accidentally going down in a cow plop causing a car crash and getting locked up for manslaughter;D

mnem
 :popcorn:

FTFY
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:04:52 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103251 on: September 25, 2021, 12:24:33 pm »
After just a handful of forecourts reported fuel shortages, due to shortages of lorry drivers brought about by Brexit seeing the mass exodus of EU drivers from the UK, and the fuel shortages being covered by the MSM with a plea not to panic buy. Shame they don't use their powers by reporting and exposing the rife corruption that is happening right under our noses by those that we should be expecting far better from. The following photo was lifted from the BBC news website.  :rant:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103252 on: September 25, 2021, 12:25:12 pm »
You can't kept blaming it on that, Europe also has driver shortages as mentioned by Vince a few days ago, one paper actually blamed the rise on online shopping, which is probably closer to the truth, as drivers may prefer to switch to driving vans and stay local to where they live.

Gee, where's the rest of the EU (And UK) this fine Saturday morning? Decided to sleep in? Perhaps all tuckered out from yesterday's off-topic-fest. But I am looking forward to lots of TEA content today.  :-+

As always I will contribute meaningful content.

My 547 coffee cup is still in that black hole.

Yes, I am a grouchy SOB but this thread is getting too polluted with crap. Save it for Discord.

Well I wasn't participating in the media (BBC included  >:D) created fuel shortage, overslept instead.
Kind of glad I didn't need anything from the supermarket yesterday lunchtime, as the queues were onto the main road.  :-- :--

Thankfully I should have enough fuel to collect the TE I won last weekend, as my van ran out last Saturday and got filled as normal  :-+ none of this panicking.  :bullshit:

David
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:34:44 pm by factory »

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103253 on: September 25, 2021, 12:43:52 pm »
After just a handful of forecourts reported fuel shortages, due to shortages of lorry drivers brought about by Brexit seeing the mass exodus of EU drivers from the UK, and the fuel shortages being covered by the MSM with a plea not to panic buy. Shame they don't use their powers by reporting and exposing the rife corruption that is happening right under our noses by those that we should be expecting far better from. The following photo was lifted from the BBC news website.  :rant:

Apparently, the BBC report was bylined 'Phill McCann'

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103254 on: September 25, 2021, 01:34:46 pm »
You can't kept blaming it on that, Europe also has driver shortages as mentioned by Vince a few days ago, one paper actually blamed the rise on online shopping, which is probably closer to the truth, as drivers may prefer to switch to driving vans and stay local to where they live.
David

I think you are both right !  :-DD

It's a combination of the two I feel  ;D

Today here the news related your petrol shortage, they did say it was due to lack of truck drivers, and did say that the UK government final realized it was due to all the truck drivers running away from the UK due to Brexit (as was already outlined in a previous news piece the other day), and as a result decided to TEMPORARILY loosen the string, make it easier to get a VISA, so that truck drivers could come back to the UK and fix the situation...

As for France, news here report that, like Factory suggested, drivers now want an easier life. Transport companies said it is now IMPOSSIBLE regardless of money, to recruit a native French driver to do long haul / international trips. Drivers now want to be home every day and have their week-ends, they are starting to value quality of life over money (and so do I).
This might be why as Factory said... I noticed recently that now when I order piece of TE from some random dude online in France, hence no long haul involved.. I now get the parcel in RECORD time, way faster that I got it pre-covid, sometimes in barely 48 hours instead of a week or so usually.

This COVID made many people rethink what's important in life... happened to me when I got fired 2+ months ago. I now don't give a shit of an employer or job. I will never let any employer drive me nuts. First time they try to manipulate me of fuck with me in any way, that's going to be bye-bye. My tolerance to be shit on, is now zero. I am OK to work for them, not to be their slave or be treated like shit. I need them but they need me too. If they are too stupid or arrogant to get that, to bad for them.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103255 on: September 25, 2021, 01:45:35 pm »
Well I was going to ask if £100 was a good price for a HP 1980 scope (scotttrade12 on ePay) , but thankfully it's just sold.
Item number 224621444198, can't figure code out for link on my phone.

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103256 on: September 25, 2021, 01:54:38 pm »

Yes that is correct, does someone at the BBC has a wicked sense of humour or just a coincidence?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103257 on: September 25, 2021, 02:05:42 pm »
My dad and my son and I have discovered a shared passion... old-school pulp comic books. Mostly from the era that had the Schwarzenegger body-building ads in the back...  >:D

Ha! The proper pulp era comics had Charles Atlas ads in the back, not that Johnny-come-lately Austrian.

We all enjoy the whole thing... the horrible litho printing, ...

It wasn't litho, that might have actually had some print quality, it was a crude form of flexography which was more akin to lino printing without the subtlety. The quality of the flexo process that they printed those with, except on the rare occasions that the printer had a good day, made potato printing look good. Modern flexo is capable of excellent results, look at any crisp/chip packet or cereal packet to see some, but back in the day this is what you got:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103258 on: September 25, 2021, 02:09:41 pm »

Gee, where's the rest of the EU (And UK) this fine Saturday morning? Decided to sleep in? Perhaps all tuckered out from yesterday's off-topic-fest. But I am looking forward to lots of TEA content today.  :-+

As always I will contribute meaningful content.

My 547 coffee cup is still in that black hole.

Yes, I am a grouchy SOB but this thread is getting too polluted with crap. Save it for Discord.

Well I wasn't participating in the media (BBC included  >:D) created fuel shortage, overslept instead.
Kind of glad I didn't need anything from the supermarket yesterday lunchtime, as the queues were onto the main road.  :-- :--

Thankfully I should have enough fuel to collect the TE I won last weekend, as my van ran out last Saturday and got filled as normal  :-+ none of this panicking.  :bullshit:

David
Have you seen the kind of wages those van drivers get for delivering all our online shopping? I really do seriously doubt that is the reason. I have not seen or heard any reports anywhere about the EU suffering a HGV driver shortage. Going by the reports from business leaders and our government, we are 100,000 drivers short, something that was never a problem pre-Brexit. I think that certain parties would love to pin the blame onto drivers migrating to local van driving and or the pandemic.   
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103259 on: September 25, 2021, 02:35:30 pm »

It's one thing to drop a comment in here to the effect of "Oh god, the lemmings are at it again only this time it's petrol instead of toilet roll" but as soon as you start ascribing blame to a political target (example: the "MSM' in stead of just 'media') and then go off on a diatribe on evils of the same then I think that crosses the line into unacceptably political commentary. Bitch, briefly, that the government are idiots and it's venting steam with a truism, start lining up a political target and it's venturing into territory that we have all agreed that we shall not go.

Before posting something that might qualify as "political" think this: "Is this post sufficiently opinionated that someone who disagrees with me would feel compelled to reply?". If you think that it might be provocative in any way, leave it out.

Examples:

"Boris Johnson is clearly a bumbling idiot." - everybody nods sagely and we move on, because clearly not even his best friend could disagree with that statement.

"Keir Starmer* clearly needs to find a backbone and stand up to the lefties in his party" - clearly there will likely be someone who finds that offensive or provocative enough that they will find it hard not to reply.

*For the non-brits, the current leader of the opposition who, like leaders of the opposition in most parliaments of whatever political colour is dull enough and of insufficient import to be unrecognisable outside their own country. Think of 99% of US vice presidents and you've got the typical level of impact on the international stage.

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103260 on: September 25, 2021, 02:37:16 pm »

No it was two Scots reporters Ben Doon and Phil Macavity.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103261 on: September 25, 2021, 02:44:33 pm »
For the non-brits, the current leader of the opposition who, like leaders of the opposition in most parliaments of whatever political colour is dull enough and of insufficient import to be unrecognisable outside their own country.

I loved Betty Boothroyd's characterisation of his predecessor: "A dithering leader of Her Majesty's opposition whose only consistency is evasion."  :-+
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #103262 on: September 25, 2021, 02:44:44 pm »

This popped up in my feed from one of my other Discords.  Just a nice lazy Illegal FPV afternoon out in the middle of nowhere, over a public road where the worst you have to worry aboot is accidentally going down in a cow plop causing a car crash and getting locked up for manslaughter;D

mnem

FTFY
Which you can also say aboot any one of the aircraft that has been your livelihood over the years. Or any of the gliders tggzzz flies. Or any kid with a fucking kite. Or even a spooked cow.

mnem
 :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103263 on: September 25, 2021, 02:46:08 pm »
David

I think you are both right !  :-DD

It's a combination of the two I feel  ;D

Today here the news related your petrol shortage, they did say it was due to lack of truck drivers, and did say that the UK government final realized it was due to all the truck drivers running away from the UK due to Brexit (as was already outlined in a previous news piece the other day), and as a result decided to TEMPORARILY loosen the string, make it easier to get a VISA, so that truck drivers could come back to the UK and fix the situation...

As for France, news here report that, like Factory suggested, drivers now want an easier life. Transport companies said it is now IMPOSSIBLE regardless of money, to recruit a native French driver to do long haul / international trips. Drivers now want to be home every day and have their week-ends, they are starting to value quality of life over money (and so do I).
This might be why as Factory said... I noticed recently that now when I order piece of TE from some random dude online in France, hence no long haul involved.. I now get the parcel in RECORD time, way faster that I got it pre-covid, sometimes in barely 48 hours instead of a week or so usually.

This COVID made many people rethink what's important in life... happened to me when I got fired 2+ months ago. I now don't give a shit of an employer or job. I will never let any employer drive me nuts. First time they try to manipulate me of fuck with me in any way, that's going to be bye-bye. My tolerance to be shit on, is now zero. I am OK to work for them, not to be their slave or be treated like shit. I need them but they need me too. If they are too stupid or arrogant to get that, to bad for them.

I'm glad that your deliveries are arriving in record time, sadly I cannot the same is true over here. I can also accept that what you describe is happening in France with regard to migration to van driving and more family time, after all it is well documented and known just how militant French truckers are. Or in fact it seems all French people are/can be if pushed enough, you only have to look at the way they blockade ports, roads, etc when something happens that they don't like. In fact I admire them at times, if we Brits had half of their courage, we would not be in the dire straits we are now as public pressure could then be brought to bear on those in power to be sensible and behave.

Many of those drivers opting for family time would have done so directly as a result of Brexit because so many of them were stuck in the queues at many of lorry parks such as the one at Manston Airport, the photo below was taken in December 2020 which saw many of the EU drivers stuck in similar lorry parks away from home over the New Year celebrations.

Likewise there will no doubt be many UK drivers who used to drive the international routes, who are no longer doing so because of all the Brexit red tape causing lengthy delays at UK ports and also the EU directive that prohibits the operators from seeking return loads in the EU destined for the UK.

So sorry, the whole sordid mess is directly Brexit related. Time will show this be true if we wait long enough.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 02:50:09 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #103264 on: September 25, 2021, 02:50:58 pm »

Getting started on the man dwagon cave. First on the agenda: actually attaching my soundbar to the monitor, as I originally intended when I bought that monster VESA mount years ago...

mnem
*soon-to-be cellar dweller dwagon*  >:D

« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 02:52:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103265 on: September 25, 2021, 02:55:45 pm »

mnem

FTFY
Which you can also say aboot any one of the aircraft that has been your livelihood over the years. Or any of the gliders tggzzz flies. Or any kid with a fucking kite. Or even a spooked cow.

mnem
Yes, very true, but Robert is I think correct, and as far as I'm aware that the flying of drones in such places ie, near and across roads, airports, even built up areas and many other locations, is illegal in the UK.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103266 on: September 25, 2021, 03:00:21 pm »

mnem

FTFY

mnem

No you cannot say that.
That UAV was clearly being flown in breach of the regulations. I've never flown an aircraft low in front of an unsuspecting car driver.
I suspect tggzzz has not deliberatly flown in breach of the regulations either.
Cow's cannot be charged with a crime. (they can be euthanized  without trial if dangerous).
There is not even any TEA content so why post the link.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103267 on: September 25, 2021, 03:11:28 pm »
@Cerebus,
I think you are burying your head in the sand and pretending everything is OK. The High Courts have already ruled that there are illegal events that have been carried out by those that are supposed to be our representatives and set the standards for behaviour, and I can tell you here and now that the circus is not over yet. By not calling it out, you are condoning such behaviour, and there is no need for chapter and verse expanding great detail because that is then going beyond "Venting" which by your own admission is acceptable, but I don't think naming anyone as in your examples is acceptable, full stop. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103268 on: September 25, 2021, 03:14:56 pm »
Many of those drivers [...] were stuck in the queues at many of lorry parks such as the one at Manston Airport, the photo below was taken in December 2020 which saw many of the EU drivers stuck in similar lorry parks away from home over the New Year celebrations.

Oh...wow.... uh.... hmmm... Houston we have a problem !!!!  :scared:

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103269 on: September 25, 2021, 03:15:10 pm »

mnem

FTFY

mnem
Yes, very true, but Robert is I think correct, and as far as I'm aware that the flying of drones in such places ie, near and across roads, airports, even built up areas and many other locations, is illegal in the UK.

Correct,
It's illegal to fly within 50 meters of a person or vehicle in the UK. There are exemptions when the person or object is under the control of the operator. There is some relief for sub 250g drones but there are still rules and despite the adverts and "specifications" there are few high perfomance drones that can actually meet the weight limit when fully equipped and carrying a camera.  Flying near livestock is also a big no-no. As a farmer can shoot a dog worrying livestock, I'm sure thay would not get prosecuted for shooting down a drone.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103270 on: September 25, 2021, 03:16:08 pm »

Robert, with his links to aviation is expected to be a tad more sensitive and knowledgeable about the the regulations governing flying in the UK. If one flies a powered aircraft one needs a pilots license and is governed by lots of rules and regulations, if one flies a glider one needs a pilots license and is similarly governed by those rules and regulations. So are drone pilots. They must be registered, pass a test and comply with the regulations that specifically include (paraphrased in guidance, the actual regulations are here:  Air Navigation Order 2016) "not to fly your drone over a congested area, never fly within 50 metres of a person, vehicle or building not under your control".

Just the still at the front of that video indicates a drone closer than 50m to a vehicle not under the pilot's control. Are they going to be prosecuted: probably not. Could they be prosecuted: yes. Would that prosecution result in a conviction: probably yes.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103271 on: September 25, 2021, 03:27:06 pm »
Additionally the common is an SSSI and owned by the National Trust. The NT do not allow UAVs / drones to be flown over their property without explicit permission and a licence.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/giants-causeway/features/our-policy-on-drone-use

I've nothing against UAVs but this sort of flying is just irresponsible and should not be promoted.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 03:29:02 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Saskia

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103272 on: September 25, 2021, 03:30:28 pm »
@Cerebus,
I think you are burying your head in the sand and pretending everything is OK. The High Courts have already ruled that there are illegal events that have been carried out by those that are supposed to be our representatives and set the standards for behaviour, and I can tell you here and now that the circus is not over yet. By not calling it out, you are condoning such behaviour, and there is no need for chapter and verse expanding great detail because that is then going beyond "Venting" which by your own admission is acceptable,

The place for all that is somewhere else, not here. Accusing me of 'condoning' some behaviour when just asking that we keep off politics in here is most definitely stepping over the line. You have no idea of what I've been doing for years to try to keep the jackboot variety of politicians off your back. You do not know my views on the matters in hand because I largely keep them to myself here because here would be an inappropriate place to vent them.  If you want to vent your political views whatever they may be go and do it somewhere else and don't start smearing the character of those who ask you to do so.

but I don't think naming anyone as in your examples is acceptable, full stop. :popcorn:

Now you're being silly, picking the two most prominent opposing figures in British politics (for balance) and assigning arbitrary examples is clearly reasonable. If it bothers you read "Noddy" and "Big Ears" instead of the names which are for all intents and purposes arbitrary.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #103273 on: September 25, 2021, 03:44:03 pm »
Actually the primary cause of the driver shortage is covid, not Brexit. There is indeed a shortage of perhaps 100k drivers, and it's also a fact that most of the drivers that have quit are British.
There is a huge backlog of HGV tests, 40k or so, due to covid absences.

I challenge anyone to prove flooding the UK with cheap labour from eastern Europe is a good thing for anyone other than the middle classes. The supermarkets and other big companies have been using this to suppress wages for decades now. That's fine for people that can send the au-pair to buy their avocados at Waitrose, but it royally fucks over every worker who can be replaced with someone from the EU for half the wage.
And it also fucks over the countries that these people come from, because it leaves them with a labour shortage, raising wages locally in an economy that can't support them. And who pays the bill for that? Taxpayers in the rest of Europe, mainly Germany and France now that we've left.

I'm sorry you feel it's a massive burden to have to get a visa to fly off to parts of mainland Europe for a holiday twice a year, but frankly I'm more concerned with being able to heat, clothe, and eat, which is the position of far too many working people in this country.

Farmers can't get workers to pick their fruit and veg? Pay a decent fucking living wage then. Supermarkets can't get drivers? The same statement applies.

Joining the EU was a Tory plan in the 1970s to increase profits for big business. It worked. The window dressing of free movement was always a canard to buy the co-operation of the middle classes, and that worked too.

It's about time we started paying the real price for food and goods, instead of having them subsidised by cheap labour from poorer countries.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103274 on: September 25, 2021, 03:52:45 pm »
Many of those drivers [...] were stuck in the queues at many of lorry parks such as the one at Manston Airport, the photo below was taken in December 2020 which saw many of the EU drivers stuck in similar lorry parks away from home over the New Year celebrations.

Oh...wow.... uh.... hmmm... Houston we have a problem !!!!  :scared:

Wait, what, are you telling me that none of this was reported in the media over there then? We had lorry parks popping up all over the place, including along the M20 in Kent, in fact at one time lorries needed a special Kent Passport to even be in Kent and carried severe penalties if anyone was foolish enough to be driving a lorry in Kent with such documentation  :palm:

https://trans.info/en/kent-access-permit-all-you-need-to-know-203800
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf