Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14828106 times)

Vince and 122 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #103500 on: September 27, 2021, 04:32:50 pm »
Also add:

- Tear-assing through the house one after another, and waking you up in the middle of the night by stepping on your tongue...!

Yes, and when you think aboot it, and the horrors of toxoplasmosis (including a particularly nasty form of encephalitis), it's even worse.   

also, cats are solar powered.

mnem
and no, that is not some pervy joke aboot where a dwagon's tongue might be in the middle of the night.    :o

LOL - I' can't say I've ever had THAT issue (to the best of my knowledge my tongue stays inside my mouth while I'm sleeping), but Nixie did actually wake me in the wee hours this morning when he flopped down and curled up with his back against my face, blocking my nose.

-Pat

My tongue WAS in my mouth, thank you... and after looking at that post again, my mind went straight down the same rabbit-hole as yours did, so I went back and addressed that. Which you posted literally at the same time as I did.  :-DD

Almost as bad tho... is how they simply cannot understand that you don't find it endearing when they curl up on your pillow next to you with their ass mere millimeters away from your nose.  :palm:

mnem
Cats are snakes with fur and feet.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:43:07 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103501 on: September 27, 2021, 04:37:25 pm »
Ugh all that cat hair in that test gear. Yuck  :-DD

Out of action for a few days. Managed to end up with an extra hat at work for a bit  :palm:. There is no time for TE  :'(

Does that hat have a paycheck of its own inside...?  :o

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103502 on: September 27, 2021, 04:41:05 pm »
I'd suggest gently tapping the suspect tubes with a pencil or something similar (hard enough to give them a bit of a shock, but obviously not so as to to break them)

A tube hammer. No, don't laugh!

https://elektronikbasteln.pl7.de/abgleichbesteck-fuer-alte-roehrenradios

The item at the bottom of the photos.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103503 on: September 27, 2021, 04:43:10 pm »
Ugh all that cat hair in that test gear. Yuck  :-DD

Out of action for a few days. Managed to end up with an extra hat at work for a bit  :palm:. There is no time for TE  :'(

Does that hat have a paycheck of its own inside...?  :o

mnem

Well it'll shave 5 years off my retirement plan  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103504 on: September 27, 2021, 04:51:51 pm »
I guess I could test this by swapping out the 6DJ8's. I have a bunch of them which would give an audiophool a hell of a wet dream.  :P :-DD Sound plausible?

It's possible.  I'd suggest gently tapping the suspect tubes with a pencil or something similar (hard enough to give them a bit of a shock, but obviously not so as to to break them) while observing to see if anything happens when doing so.  And keep that stash of 6DJ8s quite - the audiophools like them nearly as much as 12AX7s.

-Pat

This is what happened to my parts 535.  A ton of 6DJ8 tubes got raided out of it, no doubt by a member of the audiosnot crowd.

A friend of mine from college and I were having coffee later in the evening of the day I picked up the second 547 and we were looking at it and the plugins in the back of the truck and talking about this old equipment and the tubes, and one of the things that came up were the differing schools of thought on tube selection that are out there.

There's definitely the audiophool crowd that prefers old tubes.  Then there are current audio equipment manufacturers and a lot of them design equipment and voice it around currently produced tubes, knowing that the supply of old stock tubes is limited and dwindling.  It happens occasionally but very few current audio manufacturers use tubes that are not in production for new designs and I remember hearing about one that wanted to use a 6U8A tube in their design and discovered that it's not possible to buy them in quantity anymore.  When I heard that, I started laying in a supply for some vintage gear I have knowing full well what happened to 7199 availability and prices, and how that's affected everyone who wants to keep using Dynaco ST-70 and MK IVs with the stock splitter/driver circuit.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #103505 on: September 27, 2021, 04:55:55 pm »
The 2 horizontal output tubes (6DJ8) with the scope upright are installed up side down. Typically tubes are installed upright but there's usually no restriction on mounting position.

Not quite. Upright or upside down is usually ok, but some tubes don't like working on the side because of irregular heating or heated elements sagging. It's a known fact that some power tubes with rather long filaments don't like to be put on their side. I seem to remember that one type of power tube was designed especially for sideways operation by modifying its filament.

Another reason might be heat from the tube hitting other components in this position.

I think the positional thing tends to apply more to directly heated cathodes, rather than the indirectly heated ones in most small signal tubes - if I recall correctly I've read in databooks that rectifiers like 5U4s have specified clocking limits if they're to be operated horizontally.  As you mentioned, it has to do with sagging of heated elements, especially filaments.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #103506 on: September 27, 2021, 05:04:42 pm »
I'd suggest gently tapping the suspect tubes with a pencil or something similar (hard enough to give them a bit of a shock, but obviously not so as to to break them)

A tube hammer. No, don't laugh!

https://elektronikbasteln.pl7.de/abgleichbesteck-fuer-alte-roehrenradios

The item at the bottom of the photos.

AvE made a nice one a while back....

>:D

-Pat

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #103507 on: September 27, 2021, 05:05:06 pm »
this is right now the only cat allowed to enter in my lab

until my wife will populate our homes with tons of pets... and yes I can't stop that process...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #103508 on: September 27, 2021, 05:22:42 pm »
The 2 horizontal output tubes (6DJ8) with the scope upright are installed up side down. Typically tubes are installed upright but there's usually no restriction on mounting position.

Not quite. Upright or upside down is usually ok, but some tubes don't like working on the side because of irregular heating or heated elements sagging. It's a known fact that some power tubes with rather long filaments don't like to be put on their side. I seem to remember that one type of power tube was designed especially for sideways operation by modifying its filament.

Another reason might be heat from the tube hitting other components in this position.

I think the positional thing tends to apply more to directly heated cathodes, rather than the indirectly heated ones in most small signal tubes - if I recall correctly I've read in databooks that rectifiers like 5U4s have specified clocking limits if they're to be operated horizontally.  As you mentioned, it has to do with sagging of heated elements, especially filaments.

-Pat

That's correct. 5U4 rectifier tubes have very specific mounting instructions or you risk having the filament short to the plate which will totally ruin your day.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #103509 on: September 27, 2021, 05:31:50 pm »

Given this, I'm still surprised some people here took issue with me opening up my wallet and spending real, albeit far less than retail, money on that Fluke vs. buying a cheapo Chinese scope.

If I'm going in there I'm going to have the real deal. The Arduino crowd can keep their "Cat 0" meters. Fully support you.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103510 on: September 27, 2021, 05:35:19 pm »
I like cats and I wish I could have at least one but landlord sez no bueno to pets of any sort. I even asked once if I could get a parakeet and the answer was still no bueno.

His rationale was that if someone gets a pet of any sort then some dumbass would want a big ass dog unsuitable for an apartment and use that as a justification. I get it.

A big ass dog like this?  Totally not suitable for an apartment.  The enclosed outdoor space is 1000 square feet.
(Vince: c'est un chien de montagne des pyrénées) (Great Pyrenees mountain dog from France)

The fallen post along with the gate attached to it, is the result of the dog going repeatedly up to get a better view of whatever intruders might be invading our territory.
Nothing gets close without our knowledge.

Deck construction is attributed to the previous owner.
Extending the deck is a current project in the renovations, ahead of working on my lab space. 
The railing and stairs to be built will be greatly improved by the renovations.
It never ends, as the deck work is necessary to access the hot tub, which SWMBO insists must be operational before I commence any renovations in the bathroom.
(more on that later...)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 05:46:55 pm by cyclin_al »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103511 on: September 27, 2021, 05:36:07 pm »
And now for something completely different:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/yokogawa-ta520-time-interval-analyzer/

So interesting.... Thanks for sharing.... you should start a youtube channel.
No, he shouldn't. And it does us a disservice to suggest so.
Because people do not have infinite time and so have to concentrate. Which would result in having to watch jittery drawn-out videos instead of the captains well structured and concise posts.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, scl, capt bullshot, bd139, Kosmic, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103512 on: September 27, 2021, 05:52:02 pm »
No, he should start a yoobToob if he wants to. ;)

I think Z's statement was meant as encouragement and thanks for the knowledge, not a demand. As in:

"If you made a Choob yoobToob, I'd totes watch it and I think a lot of others in here would-b' too-b'. "

mnem
* puts up umbrella against the rain of soggy ol' boots*
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:01:08 pm by mnementh »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #103513 on: September 27, 2021, 06:00:59 pm »
And now for something completely different:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/yokogawa-ta520-time-interval-analyzer/

So interesting.... Thanks for sharing.... you should start a youtube channel.
Because people do not have infinite time and so have to concentrate. Which would result in having to watch jittery drawn-out videos instead of the captains well structured and concise posts.

Ah, a man after my own heart!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: vindoline

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103514 on: September 27, 2021, 06:02:33 pm »

I agree with you. I usually have to watch YT videos in 1.5x or 2x speed or I will literally climb inside the screen and gouge the eyes out of the presenter.

A picture says a thousand words.

A video consists of 30 pictures every second, yet contains 10,000x less information.

Progress. Not.

My longest YT video is 0:36 and I felt I was rambling in it :)

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103515 on: September 27, 2021, 06:03:49 pm »
So y'all just wanna keep Cap'n chained up in the corner (we do have a empty one ATM) and not share, ehhhh?  >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:16:23 pm by mnementh »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103516 on: September 27, 2021, 06:15:56 pm »

I agree with you. I usually have to watch YT videos in 1.5x or 2x speed or I will literally climb inside the screen and gouge the eyes out of the presenter.

A video consists of 30 pictures every second, yet contains 10,000x less information.

Progress. Not.

Although it probably results in the same number of words per minute, there's a world of difference between a measured delivery and rambling incoherently which is lost on the vast majority of YouTube content creators.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Neper

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #103517 on: September 27, 2021, 06:21:21 pm »
So y'all just wanna keep Cap'n chained up in the corner (we do have a empty one ATM) and not share, ehhhh?  >:D

mnem

Ya threw me there before that edit!  (Though the few that I've put up have been rather rambly..)  (and I don't have any empty corners - they're all full of stuff.)

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103518 on: September 27, 2021, 06:31:35 pm »
Yeah, sorry. In the middle of 3 different projects, and every one of them is being a freaking blister. I'm a bit scattered ATM. :palm:

I think it was the hands; they don't type Cap'n that often but the muscle memory is there for Pat and well... when the request for supervisory action went >> /dev/null, then they just fell back on the next name in the table.  :-DD

mnem
That's muh story ann' ah'mm stickin' teww itt. >:D
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 06:37:14 pm by mnementh »

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103519 on: September 27, 2021, 06:53:57 pm »
A big ass dog like this?  Totally not suitable for an apartment.  The enclosed outdoor space is 1000 square feet.
(Vince: c'est un chien de montagne des pyrénées) (Great Pyrenees mountain dog from France)

Well he looks kinda cute, and for a mountain dog his white hair are quite fitting, he can camouflage when it's snowy...

I would not mind my neighbour having one of those, instead of their stupid and ugly current dog.

They also have a cat. I get the best of both worlds : I can enjoy the cat yet I don't have to feed him (her actually, by the looks of it...) nor clean her pee and poo all day long, nor pay for the vet. It's cool having the neighbours having animals, this way I don't have to have my own, it's fantastic.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103520 on: September 27, 2021, 06:56:43 pm »

Progress. Not.

Although it probably results in the same number of words per minute, there's a world of difference between a measured delivery and rambling incoherently which is lost on the vast majority of YouTube content creators.

I get that. But I at least, do not have any idea what kind of presentation Cap'n would give. He might be a natural. He might find he loves doing it. :-//

Assuming that either is not so (even if the cynic in us tells us that it is rare and unusual when it does happen, especially both in one presenter) does a disservice to the man whose static presentations we like so much.

I know from experience how much hard work it is to make a presentation either way. The reason I don't vid very often is how many takes it takes to get something that doesn't just make the hair on the back of my neck quiver... and usually still full of "uhhhhh..." and "oh, shit where izzattt"...

But my own experience still doesn't mean everyone is like that. :-//

Again... I think Z was just offering thanks and encouragement. I believe that is a good idea.

mnem

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #103521 on: September 27, 2021, 07:20:50 pm »

Also, Fluke sez BAM, as usual:

Hmm, sure?

They're both connected to the same source.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, DC1MC, tonyalbus

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103522 on: September 27, 2021, 07:24:46 pm »
Something must be wrong with the source.  :-DD
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:34:20 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, AVGresponding

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #103523 on: September 27, 2021, 07:50:22 pm »
Something must be wrong with the source.  :-DD

It's a fluke :)

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 07:57:20 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103524 on: September 27, 2021, 07:56:43 pm »

Anyway here is the first of the crusty hp relics, the 207A sweep oscillator.

I wouldn't recommend buying T&M gear from Selkies!

Think it's damp shed syndrome, not found in the sea :-DD, the paintwork on the case is actually in good condition underneath.

No worries, a quick wipe it will be like new again !   :scared:

I've already cleaned up the dial from a hp 200CD (from the same seller), not what I would call new and it took a few hours to sand & polish, still not quite happy with it, too shiny.

I've put that to one side, as I can't find the Sprague cans to replace the missing trio of caps, previous owner had attempted a recap but never finished fitting them.

David
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:03:55 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, duckduck

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf