Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15242305 times)

tggzzz, Kosmic and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #103825 on: September 30, 2021, 09:53:54 pm »

Riddle me this:
What might this strange layout, that looks like it has some things too many and others not enough, be?
Hint: Not all holes will be plated and there will be a ground plane below.
Ultra bonus points: (WIN AS MUCH WASHING MACHINES AS YOU CAN CATCH!)
What crazy construction revelation befell me?

Switchable RF filter? multiband Antenna matcher?

At first guess, it looks like C1/C5 shunt to GND... and the the transistors connect the striplines at different inductor pairs to change the resonant frequency of the whole thing dependent on which one is turned on.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 10:03:46 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103826 on: September 30, 2021, 10:42:35 pm »

Sobering... I've actually envisioned this exact use for the tiny whoop type nanocopters right down to how the explosive took out the target, particularly when all the noise aboot the 250 gram limit was all over the hobby. I've built numerous sub-100g nanos that can easily carry their own weight in payload.

mnem
It's the little things that are most dangerous...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:30:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103827 on: October 01, 2021, 12:09:26 am »
Having watched EEs who believe themselves to be genius* programmers in action

For this the Internet coined the phrase pair:

Beware of the programmer with a screwdriver
Beware of the electrical engineer with a text editor

Amongst Technicians, it is :-

"Beware the EE with a small screwdriver in his top pocket!"

& just

"Beware the programmer!"

Worse than either though, is the contract IT person who goes through your workplace in "the dead of night", buggering up every PC in the building, as well as the server. :wtf:

With any luck, you can get him back to undo his carnage by lunch time! >:( >:(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103828 on: October 01, 2021, 12:31:40 am »
We call that a "Rollout", and it's how you get shiny new boxes to play with, motherf***er!  :-DD

mnem
*veteran of a thousand psychic wars all-night bridge conferences*

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #103829 on: October 01, 2021, 12:36:37 am »
We call that a "Rollout", and it's how you get shiny new boxes to play with, motherf***er!  :-DD

mnem
Ain't that what BD's busy doing ATM ?

Things are pretty quiet here in his absence.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103830 on: October 01, 2021, 01:09:53 am »

Kind of explain why it's not booting. Now I need to find another image software or an older version of Acronis or maybe something that can convert a GPT partition back to MBR ?

Arrggg stupid PC and windows!!!  :rant:

Don't use "smart" tools to copy the HDD. Use an as dumb as possible tool to copy the old hard drive content to the new one sector by sector. This will completely preserve the layout etc. Best results are achieved using "dd" on a Linux box.

This actually a good idea. I should take some time and put together a bootable usb stick with everything I need to clone and backup drives.

The reason I'm using Acronis is that I'm also working on a Rohde & Schwarz FSP spectrum analyzer with a completely dead drive. I found an image online but it's a .tib file that was made with Acronis.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103831 on: October 01, 2021, 01:11:28 am »
Who would have thought putting a PC and windows in a spectrum analyzer was a bad idea ?

Sometimes ago I found myself wanting some newer gears. Maybe running some version of windows, with nice UI and everything. Well I got some of those now and I'm currently living in PC hell.

Is it booting ? no of course not.

So I'm trying to upgrade the harddrive to something better than those old mechanical one prone to failure. Got a adapter, because everything is SATA now and not IDE. Which one of those is actually going to work ?

The drive is detected correctly.

Going back to Acronis True Image, now this time actually pay attention to what the software is doing. The original drive is quite simple, just 2 partitions that bootup with MBR.

Now when I copy the image on another drive Acronis Is actually converting the drive to GPT (different way of representing the master boot record), wait what  :o

Kind of explain why it's not booting. Now I need to find another image software or an older version of Acronis or maybe something that can convert a GPT partition back to MBR ?

Clonezilla to the rescue; practically, is a "nice" interface around dd, as capt bullshot recommended; as bonus, is bootable.

I looked at clonezilla a while ago and I remember having problems. Maybe I should try again.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103832 on: October 01, 2021, 01:12:28 am »
Then why make up non factual crap to defend poor performance of your adopted country and then be surprised when you get a response! You were so far away from any semblance of the truth and fact it was warranted.

So its you that needs to take that FUCKING chill pill and consider what you type and before you hit the key to post more :bullshit:

As to other peanuts COVID is NOT POLITICS it is public health

It started because you took exception to 25 CPS using the adjective "draconian" in a perfectly innocuous non-political post asking an innocent question and you overeacted and made it political by responding with an uncalled for "us and them" reply criticising both 25 CPS and Canada. Dial it back several notches please.

Reusing boilerplate text is normal so I wasn't surprised to see that statement about being able to arrange inspection of that 34401A copied and pasted into the auction or included as part of a setup template.  What surprised me, based on the first hand accounts from my childhood best friend who lives in Sydney now, is that this wouldn't be possible, but nothing was added to invite prospective buyers to arrange a substitute like being able to ask the seller to demonstrate the meter in photos or on video instead.

With respect to using the word "draconian", that's honestly the impression I've gotten from the first hand accounts I've been hearing.  My friend's suffering.  He really is.  How much TV can you watch?  How much reading can you do?  How much other stuff can you fill the time with when you're locked up at home staring at the same four walls brooding while your mind wanders?  Meanwhile, I hear about using party drugs to get away from it and fill the void as the days turn into weeks turn into months turn in to years soon, I hear about taking GHB and drinking half a bottle of champagne and popping sleeping pills to unwind enough to sleep at night.  And I understand.  You do what you need to do to survive; we both learned that a long time ago when we were kids living on the same street.  At least I can leave the house, do stuff, fill the time, live somewhat of a normal existence but when I hear from my old best friend who's been boxed in so bad for so long and everything's been taken away that there's nothing left but drugs and alcohol to cope with it, my heart breaks and it really forces some critical thinking about the collateral damage inflicted by a cost no object, ends justify the means approach to things.

Does your friend live in a "one room flat", or is "same four walls" a figure of speech?

How long has he lived in Sydney?
If only a short time, he may be suffering from really bad "homesickness".

It sounds silly, but it can really make you depressed, even if you are living an otherwise normal life.

The image presented is one of "total lockdown" following the original "Wuhan" pattern, where that is far from the truth.

People can leave their house for several reasons, such as buying necessary provisions at the supermarket, medical appointments, & so on.
They can exercise outside for short periods.
If however, a person's life consists of going to the Pub, Football, night clubs, etc, that is not available.

Sydney only went into "lockdown" on the 26th June, & initially, that was a pretty 'soft" one.
Before that, they had many months of relative normality following an initial short lockdown in early 2020.

There is a lot of propaganda from various Right Wing sources to try to make things seem worse than they are.
Zooming out from Sydney, much of regional NSW lives a fairly normal life, although others have Delta cases & have gone into lockdown.

Of the other States, Victoria is in much the same situation as NSW, Queensland is very worried about a small outbreak at the moment.
All the rest have "Covid zero" (no cases in the community).

In Western Australia, where I live, we are living normally, due to State border restrictions, & have had many months of that situation.

None of the State or International borders are really totally closed North Korean style, Thousands of expatriate Australians have returned from other countries, stayed in quarantine for 2 weeks & rejoined the community, but in an operation of such scale, there have been a few slip ups, & Covid positive people have got out into the community.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #103833 on: October 01, 2021, 02:15:54 am »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, syau

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103834 on: October 01, 2021, 03:09:10 am »
Riddle me this:
What might this strange layout, that looks like it has some things too many and others not enough, be?

Switchable RF attenuator?

Looks like the dwagon was thinking along similar lines...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #103835 on: October 01, 2021, 03:11:54 am »
For those in the golden horseshoe/GTA, there's an HP 3580A listed for sale in Brampton for $525:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/mississauga-peel-region/hp-spectrum-analyzer/1587504249

Picture from the listing.  The seller claims it's working but it isn't shown powered up and the frequency setting that was left on it is out of range at 99 KHz and the price could probably be negotiated down because of that broken knob.

I've already got one of these so I'm not going after this one.

Still working on logistics for something else with a much smaller budget.
Not this time...

EDIT:  I am not in the golden horseshoe/GTA, but gotta be willing to travel or else be stuck in TEA drought.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 03:13:32 am by cyclin_al »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #103836 on: October 01, 2021, 03:13:47 am »
The Dog ate my Homework Crocodile ate my Drone  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103837 on: October 01, 2021, 03:19:11 am »

mnem
Ain't that what BD's busy doing ATM ?

Things are pretty quiet here in his absence.
Software rollout, IIRC. Also, he's the poor bastard on the other end, babysitting a hundred whinge-y field techs at the same time who all just wanna get a sign-off so they can go home and eat breakfast with H/SWMBO...  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 11:52:00 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103838 on: October 01, 2021, 03:24:25 am »

Don't use "smart" tools to copy the HDD. Use an as dumb as possible tool to copy the old hard drive content to the new one sector by sector. This will completely preserve the layout etc. Best results are achieved using "dd" on a Linux box.

This actually a good idea. I should take some time and put together a bootable usb stick with everything I need to clone and backup drives.

The reason I'm using Acronis is that I'm also working on a Rohde & Schwarz FSP spectrum analyzer with a completely dead drive. I found an image online but it's a .tib file that was made with Acronis.

Well, obviously the "smart" utility worked, or there wouldn't be that image.  :o

mmmokay... I suggest cloning to a spinning rust drive first and see if it partitions as it should. Also, find the Acronis version number and RTFM; there may be switches you can turn off to make it build in MBR mode.

Good hunting,

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a NAND mallet*

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #103839 on: October 01, 2021, 04:52:03 am »
Riddle me this:

Distributed amplifier, just like the old Tek scopes did with tubes.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103840 on: October 01, 2021, 05:16:14 am »
Riddle me this:
Is it a distributed amplifier?
Indeed it is  ;D
Many thanks to Med, who pointed out these were used on the Tek scopes - I got sucked down that rabbit hole immediately...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #103841 on: October 01, 2021, 06:35:36 am »
And I saw some other power on my way back home:

I don't know what the total output there was but Canadian Pacific was well into the eighth notch and moving it.
Two engines only? That's a short one(~100wagons), unless you have mid-and-end-engines, when you go can up to 200 wagons. Depending on the current engine notch, you will wait between 3(notch8/100wagons) to 25(notch4/200 wagons) minutes to pass; below notch 4 you turn around, in the same way when you see three or more active engines to pull...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #103842 on: October 01, 2021, 06:36:00 am »
Riddle me this:
Is it a distributed amplifier?
Indeed it is  ;D
Many thanks to Med, who pointed out these were used on the Tek scopes - I got sucked down that rabbit hole immediately...

Yep, 30MHz distributed vertical amplifier of 12 - 6DK6's used in the Type 545A. The 100MHz Type 585 used a similar design.

Not my pix. Lifted from TekWiki.

The 50MHz Type 547, being a newer design, went all sand state. (My pix).

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #103843 on: October 01, 2021, 06:49:25 am »
And I saw some other power on my way back home:

I don't know what the total output there was but Canadian Pacific was well into the eighth notch and moving it.
Two engines only? That's a short one(~100wagons), unless you have mid-and-end-engines, when you go can up to 200 wagons. Depending on the current engine notch, you will wait between 3(notch8/100wagons) to 25(notch4/200 wagons) minutes to pass; below notch 4 you turn around, in the same way when you see three or more active engines to pull...

While most RR's have embraced "distributed power" you can't always rely on what's in the lead pull to determine the length of the train. I still see CSX pulls with 4 or 5 loco's up front but only about 100 cars in tow. It could be they are simply moving loco assets from one yard to another. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103844 on: October 01, 2021, 07:17:33 am »

Have you tried asking R&S for an install disk? You might have to set up an online account but that's not an issue. They were very helpful with my CRTU to CMU-200 install. They gave acces to severl installs and suggested which one was most likely to work.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #103845 on: October 01, 2021, 08:06:16 am »
I'm fairly certain the Agilent DMM is the one from this thread where the RAM had died (location & scratches match), has the Chinesium RAM died too.  :-DD
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1365376

David

Another ex-DMM then, or is it worth trying to replace the SRAM with a good quality part? Either way it's way too expensive to interest me.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #103846 on: October 01, 2021, 08:45:25 am »
Thanks for all the replies regarding matrix boards. I went ahead and ordered the Rademacher ones from Rapid (10x 100mm x 75mm x 1.5mm, £17.40), but the Roth ones are definitely nice looking and will probably be on the list next time I get anything from RS.

Those FR4 ones also look nice, but I rarely use Amazon, and I'm also trying to keep my "component miles" as low as possible, and also support businesses as locally as possible.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #103847 on: October 01, 2021, 09:13:10 am »
Alternative lifestyle device, an Italian GAY frequency meter  :-DD

https://www.ebay.de/itm/124927042449

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WTwAAOSwZm9hUvhE/s-l1600.jpg

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, Neper

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103848 on: October 01, 2021, 10:01:16 am »
The world is full of such stuff. Think of all the non-binary meters.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, DC1MC

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #103849 on: October 01, 2021, 10:58:05 am »
Someone in need of a DIY continuity tester?

https://youtu.be/tsfAerqdGds?t=130

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf