Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14824760 times)

Vince and 174 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #104850 on: October 16, 2021, 03:20:52 pm »
Let us pray that you are not doing this stupid shit.  :palm:  :scared: :wtf:

WTF is right.   :scared:

Almost waiting to see stringed puppets dancing around the thing.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104851 on: October 16, 2021, 03:24:58 pm »

The best a car looks is when it is stock. Half-witted motorheads who tried to set fire to things in art class rarely have the formal language or the skillset to improve on something made by a professional, and this is proven over and over again by example.

Let's not call these guys (Orange County Choppers) "professionals" by any means. Far from it. They are located not too far from me. I once ran into Mikey and he's just as stupid for real as he was on the TV show.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #104852 on: October 16, 2021, 03:31:29 pm »

Let's not call these guys (Orange County Choppers) "professionals" by any means. Far from it. They are located not too far from me. I once ran into Mikey and he's just as stupid for real as he was on the TV show.

I was trying to use them as examples of "half-witted motorheads", nothing else. I prefer even 1920s back-asswards blacksmithing (as made popular by messrs Harley and Davidson) to be kept original.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #104853 on: October 16, 2021, 03:36:48 pm »
Oh boy I would not want to put too much money on alloy wheels, for it's only a matter of time before they get damaged by some kerb when parking, or of course by a tyre shop every time they will have to replace the tires. I did replace an alloy wheel on my car a couple months back... because it was leaking badly, tyre would go flat in a matter of 3 weeks, drove me nuts.  Replacement alloy wheel cost me zero, was donated by a guy from the Safrane forum I frequent. Granted it's all scratched up and looking crap, but not much worse than the other 3 wheel and most importantly... it does not leak !  ;D

How good it feels not to have to go inflating that tyre every week, not having the handling of the car degrade badly every few weeks, fuel consumption increasing, not to mention the brand new Michelin tyre overheating, deforming, degrading at the speed of light.  Now I can move on and turn my attention to the other issues on the car !  :-DD

Just replaced the cam belt, now need to do the clutch... come spring I think.

What caused it to leak? I've heard of rims being porous on occasion, or was it the where the tyre seated was damaged somehow?

I've been lusting after these rims for 15 years (since way back when I was a boy racer back in Australia) but had to give up then to save a few $$ to make it to Japan, but now I can have them nothing can stop meeeeeeeee!  ;D

Ah ... I see we have the red valve body and cap.  For tyres that go faster ... right?   ;D

How did you figure out my secret! My minivan (Yes, minivan) needs all the help it can get! hahaha.
Wife wouldn't let me get a sports car because #justfamilythings, so I'm stuck putting lipstick on a pig. It is a nice pig though. :D

*sniff* had to let go of my reasonably performing car.

Bye bye kittie  ...

(Jag XKR 4.2 w/ 416 brp and no limiter)

A Jag, nice! I was ropeable when my dad sold his XJS without giving me a chance to buy it.  :(

AH HAHAHAHAHA! NOPE!  :-DD

You don't see much of that stuff around anymore, same with the bosozuku, they all grew up, got married, settled down, got jobs and had kids etc (same with the Harajuku girls) all we have now are just kids on shitty little scooters with loud exhausts.

You do see the 'itasha' though (translates literally to 'pain car' because they are painful to look at) which are always good for a laugh.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:39:17 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104854 on: October 16, 2021, 03:44:36 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #104855 on: October 16, 2021, 03:50:03 pm »
oh woe is meeee
I coinorhaged again.

Metro had Arcade1up sale. Got a PacMan Legacy (12 games), was able to flip my PacMan 2 games for almost the same price. I offered it too cheap ... lost 30 bucks and it was gone in about 10 minutes ...

Festool hose arrived ...
this one:
https://www.contorion.de/p/festool-saugschlauch-plug-it-63730288?$ps=1&length_mm=3500&simple_sku=91330679&aid=383268462461&targetid=pla-827018648796&gclid=CjwKCAjwzaSLBhBJEiwAJSRokuzBwrRsQPVp03CNZN7qBmdxV28Uj0UrTaf805Q-ZtSNleogHUFethoC2icQAvD_BwE
however in a Systainer.

Festool DTS400 delta sander in systainer should be on its way. Tomorrow a friend of mine should obtain the Festool ETS EC150/5 for me.

I am coinorhaging heavily ...

and since I wanted to have the sander stuff complete, I ordered the ES-ETS125, too
That's the one.

Now I need to watch out for poison attacks and similar since Vince wants to inherit my festool stuff  :-DD
just joking of course.

https://www.contorion.de/p/festool-kantenschleifer-es-ets-125-req-plus-70038420?aid=383268462470&targetid=pla-827204589543&gclid=CjwKCAjw8KmLBhB8EiwAQbqNoCrElYrVLEMi_lIm0LzFYkkXOxFebAhvb0MXgoEUeYGDaozp0sqUdhoCa6kQAvD_BwE

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104856 on: October 16, 2021, 03:50:23 pm »

That must be a special plinth they build around the van once its in position, there is zero way on earth that it could be driven like that, bloody muppets.  :o :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104857 on: October 16, 2021, 03:55:22 pm »

I can't actually see any teeth there, so the tooth:tattoo ratio is pretty low on this one.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104858 on: October 16, 2021, 04:00:06 pm »
[...] I did replace an alloy wheel on my car a couple months back... because it was leaking badly, tyre would go flat in a matter of 3 weeks, drove me nuts.

What caused it to leak? I've heard of rims being porous on occasion, or was it the where the tyre seated was damaged somehow?

I have no idea ! didn't bother to inspect it. I kept it for a month, the time to make sure the new wheel fixed the issue. It did so I just scrapped the old wheel.
Given how fast the tyre would deflate, I don't think it was a porosity problem (for, it would have leaked from day one out of the factory..). Most probable is just a bad kerb hit, though I didn't see anything obvious.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104859 on: October 16, 2021, 04:03:06 pm »

Med don't be silly please ! Stop whining, this van is completely STOCK, can't you see ? Can't you see it's a special purpose van designed to clear the roads from snow in winter  ?! Looks rather obvious to me !
OK, pink is a rather unusual colour choice for this type of utility vehicle, I will give you that much...

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #104860 on: October 16, 2021, 04:03:27 pm »
That must be a special plinth they build around the van once its in position, there is zero way on earth that it could be driven like that, bloody muppets.  :o :wtf:

Yeah, the front, rear and sides come off.

It's made as a joke, they take the whole design beyond the extreme as a parody to laugh at their own scene 'for the lulz'.
It's the same idea behind the sports cars with the cow catcher front lip, the ironing table sized rear wing and the really tall exhaust pipes that end in a star shape or love heart or whatever.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #104861 on: October 16, 2021, 04:11:43 pm »

urrrrgghhh. migraine all gorram morning.

mnem
I wish I'd stayed out all night getting wasted; then I'd have an excuse for this flupping hangover. |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104862 on: October 16, 2021, 04:14:01 pm »

I can't actually see any teeth there, so the tooth:tattoo ratio is pretty low on this one.
Well we only have 32 of them to start with so after a few flying teeth, the chances of another coming out is pretty reduced I would say.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104863 on: October 16, 2021, 04:15:15 pm »
Well if you want a long low nose on a car see below  :)
24 years ago I was recovering from the the celebrations after we sent the car supersonic on the 15th.
And to keep it on TEA, there is a picture of my Fluke 97 Scopemeter on the car. I still have that 97 and yes it did go supersonic.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, nfmax, Brumby, med6753, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, TorinoFermic

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #104864 on: October 16, 2021, 04:18:41 pm »
Todays shopping tip according to the page #:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/193749903254

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104865 on: October 16, 2021, 04:20:11 pm »
Yeah, but at least you could have got that nose over a speed bump without damage, judging by the look of it, it might have bottomed between the wheels though   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #104866 on: October 16, 2021, 04:21:51 pm »
[...] I did replace an alloy wheel on my car a couple months back... because it was leaking badly, tyre would go flat in a matter of 3 weeks, drove me nuts.

I have no idea ! didn't bother to inspect it. I kept it for a month, the time to make sure the new wheel fixed the issue. It did so I just scrapped the old wheel.
Given how fast the tyre would deflate, I don't think it was a porosity problem (for, it would have leaked from day one out of the factory..). Most probable is just a bad kerb hit, though I didn't see anything obvious.
Hard to beat a farm water trough for finding leaks in tires.  :)
Removing them from the vehicle first is entirely optional.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104867 on: October 16, 2021, 04:40:51 pm »

Yep, old skool mechanics used to keep a barrel out back full of water just for that purpose. New method is spray bottle and watch for bubbles.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104868 on: October 16, 2021, 06:07:17 pm »
I hope it's not the CRT and IMO more likely the HV grid biasing IME. Old drifted carbon comp resistors is where I looked in the past and replaced heaps of them especially those in M \$\Omega\$ values.
Short sweep can be something similar although checking sweep timing is worth a look at too.

At least it's a runner so shouldn't be too difficult to get right.  :popcorn:

Yeah a runner as you say, just some mild electrical debugging, the usual !  ;D

Got carried away again, spent the afternoon on the thing, so didn't get anything done in the house, again..  ::)

Anyway found the cause of the weird distorted/sloped trace. I was on the right track with the CRT. Thank you dear 575 for teaching me this lesson, it's already proving useful. So I checked the connector at the CRT neck, zero oxidation, so not that. Deoxit-ed it anyway while I was in there, can't hurt. Then I thought OK let's Deoxit the 4 pins/terminal for the deflection plates.
Guess what ? One of them was disconnected ! Wire was dangling a few millimeters from the pin ! It was the right horizontal deflection plate. It's a miracle I could have any kind of sweep on the screen ! Capacitive coupling saved the day maybe ? Anyhow, I reconnected that plate and problem solved !  :D  No more inexplicable distortion of the trace.
Better : it ALSO solved another issue : the severely reduced horizontal span of the trace, like 50% of the screen width. Solved too. Makes sense of course... so the horizontal amp was not to blame in the end !

Piccie below to prove  8)

So now I was left mostly with vertical issues. DC balance all over the shop mostly. Except that the condition of the scope was somehow deteriorting at the speed of light, in real time, I could see it happening as I was playing with the thing. Symptoms would appear and worsen in the course of just a few minutes !  :scared:

I was now suddenly having an EXTREMELY noisy trace (was displaying the calibrator output all along), and it would flicker and sometimes go out completely for long seconds, come back out of the blue... it looked like massively corroded/dirty contacts, but I knew for a fact there was no corrosion in that scope, never mind to the extend that would be required to cause such dramatic effects. Plus, of course, just last night when I first tested it, it was perfectly fine in this regard !! 
So I tried playing with the attenuator knob, as well as its secondary red knob, but clearly wiggling them had no effect on my problems... I sprayed some deoxit anyway and exercised the knobs, to no avail, as I thought.

Then I started noticing that the trace would shift upward, up and up and up... soon the vertical position knob would be out of range and would not be enough to bring trace back onto the screen.  Within minutes it was so far off the screen that the only way to see a little something, was to crank up the amplifier sensitivity, to 0.1V/DIV while also cranking up the calibrator output voltage, to 100V. This way I could get the bottom part of the square wave to "enter" the  screen real estate...

Well I already know from restoring my first 317 that this massive offset problem was a tired 6AU6 in the V amplifier, causing an imbalance between the upper and low triode of a given stage. So I looked at the four 6AU6 that make up the amp, looking for their glow. They were al glowing. Moments later trace disappeared for good from the screen... looked at the 6AU6's again and oh, what do you know, two of them just died, they were not glowing at all any more !  :-//

I pulled a couple 6AU6 from another Tek scope, condition unknown but well you gotta try something eh.
Problem fixed ! Trace back on screen + no more dramatic noise. It also cured the DC balance issue I was having ! Now the trace stays in place no matter what the position of the attenuator knob !  8)

However... now I was having the opposite problem : trace would shift DOWN ward.. albeit not as bad. Trace would end up almost at the edge of edge of the graticule, but the Vertical position knob still had enough range to bring the trace in the center.
So I looked at the 4 6AU6's again... noticed that the two I just implanted, were glowing a lot brighter than the two I had left alone. So I guess a difference in emission/gain hence an imbalance again.
But who cares, the point was to troubleshoot my problems, that's done. I now know the problems were indeed the 6AU6. So if I were to restore this scope I would just have to order 4 new 6AU6 and that's it.

The some more problems arrived.. I told you it was deteriorating in real time !  :palm:

I would notice something strange : with the input grounded, the trace would flicker, and even sometimes come and go... BUT if I display some signal, calibrator output again, then trace was stable and flickering.. hmmm...
After a moment, the grounded input trace would disappear for good...
Trigger mod was set to AUTO all along, so even with no signal present I should still have a trace on the screen...
So eventually I noticed that AUTO mode was not working...  and that's why I could have a trace on the screen ONLY if I had a signal present, because then it would be able to trigger on that signal rather relying on AUTO.

Even weirder : later I noticed that the scope COULD display a trace with no input, IF you select trigger on the FALLING edge rather than the RISING edge ! Somehow ! Using the rising/falling edge knob, I could 100% reliably get the trace to come and go at will !  :-// 

I don't think that there is a problem with trigger sensitivity, it just does not match the symptoms. It would not cause the trigger to work only on a specific edge, and also it can trigger just fine on the calibrator signal. I tested it, it can trigger reliably for a signal amplitude of only 2 minor divisions peak to peak, which is perfectly good in my book.

So I don't quite know...

Anyway, it's the only a minor issue, can't be that hard to fix if I so wished one day.

Scope is basically fixed.. putting covers back on and into storage, so I have zero storage spot left for it so it will have to stay in a corner of the bench... I guess if removed the brakes discs and pads that have been sitting on the bench for a month, I could put the 317 there...

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, ch_scr, TSCOLAN, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104869 on: October 16, 2021, 06:13:11 pm »

Yep, old skool mechanics used to keep a barrel out back full of water just for that purpose. New method is spray bottle and watch for bubbles.
Save empty bottle of dish soap; fill it back up from the next bottle aboot 5mm from the bottom then the rest with water. Use for finding leaks on the vehicle (or farm implement) and seating the bead when installing tires. Grand-dad taught me this when I was like 8 years old... :-//

mnem
grrr. arrg.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104870 on: October 16, 2021, 06:19:39 pm »

Used to see this shit all the time around Tampa/St Pete. Yes, they are deliberate auto-modding parody. Usually a combination of removable 'glas parts and hydraulic suspension. Just a different kind of "art car".

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104871 on: October 16, 2021, 06:26:54 pm »

Today's fixit project: Repairing the lightsabers my son crispified a few weeks ago plugging them into  a 12V charger.

mnem
Ehhh... It's his birthday 🎉. If I can't have mercy on the boi now, when can I...?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 06:29:13 pm by mnementh »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #104872 on: October 16, 2021, 07:05:38 pm »
We have Discord
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104873 on: October 16, 2021, 08:37:03 pm »

Yep, gotta conserve water don't you know, leave it out in a barrel, and it bloody evaporates  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104874 on: October 16, 2021, 08:42:40 pm »

WTF, there is no way that PC plod would allow that to make it on the roads, that is an instant accident just waiting to happen  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf