Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786985 times)

wkb, BrianInTexas, Robert763 and 238 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #104875 on: October 16, 2021, 08:57:24 pm »
We have Discord
Sorry ladies and gentlemen, another week I won't be on discord, I'm afraid real life has caught up with me, I have a massive staircase, hall and landing to decorate, and it has no less than 15 bleeding doors to paint as well  >:D |O :palm: :scared: I also have a lot of stuff listed on the bay of evil and sold 2 items tonight that need packing, so I can dispatch them tomorrow in the morning before I start preparations for decorating.

I think evil bay is picking again now, that's 5 items sold this week  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #104876 on: October 17, 2021, 12:03:59 am »
The GPSDO display project is completed. The case and wiring is finished along with a custom RS-232 cable. It has been running flawlessly for several days. The display is blanked between 10 PM and 6 AM local time. Programming facilitated with the very well written library TinyGPS++

http://arduiniana.org/libraries/tinygpsplus/

Cheers!

8)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:07:51 am by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104877 on: October 17, 2021, 12:14:14 am »
The GPSDO display project is completed. The case and wiring is finished along with a custom RS-232 cable. It has been running flawlessly for several days. The display is blanked between 10 PM and 6 AM local time. Programming facilitated with the very well written library TinyGPS++

http://arduiniana.org/libraries/tinygpsplus/

Cheers!

8)

You posted this before me and I observed it at approx 20:05 hours in the Eastern Time Zone. How come it sez 21.52 hours? What time zone are you in? Anything West of me should be before 20:05 hours. 

Edit....or is that UTC and you took the picture earlier?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 12:16:23 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #104878 on: October 17, 2021, 12:20:19 am »
You posted this before me and I observed it at approx 20:05 hours in the Eastern Time Zone. How come it sez 21.52 hours? What time zone are you in? Anything West of me should be before 20:05 hours. 

That is UTC direct from the GPSDO. I took the pic yesterday too.

Note: of course with some simple code additions you could display local time easily as well.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104879 on: October 17, 2021, 12:27:21 am »

That is UTC direct from the GPSDO. I took the pic yesterday too.

Note: of course with some simple code additions you could display local time easily as well.

Oh OK. I didn't notice the date. Yep, yesterday. D'OH.  :palm: :-DD

Carry on.  :-/O

BTW....excellent work.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #104880 on: October 17, 2021, 01:40:37 am »
Yeah, but at least you could have got that nose over a speed bump without damage, judging by the look of it, it might have bottomed between the wheels though   :-DD
  :-DD :-DD :-DD
MOST of those bosozoku cars would not make it over a speedbump in the GWN.
NONE of those have even a remote chance of surviving a pothole in the GWN ... 
:popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104881 on: October 17, 2021, 02:32:19 am »
Well if you want a long low nose on a car see below  :)
24 years ago I was recovering from the the celebrations after we sent the car supersonic on the 15th.
And to keep it on TEA, there is a picture of my Fluke 97 Scopemeter on the car. I still have that 97 and yes it did go supersonic.
You have one on me there. I can claim a lot for some of my instruments, like real high up (beyond commercial anyway), under armour, under water and in some deep holes, but not supersonic. Like I would ever have objected..
 :-+

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #104882 on: October 17, 2021, 05:00:11 am »
Well if you want a long low nose on a car see below  :)
24 years ago I was recovering from the the celebrations after we sent the car supersonic on the 15th.
And to keep it on TEA, there is a picture of my Fluke 97 Scopemeter on the car. I still have that 97 and yes it did go supersonic.

Car is going supersonic? Wait, we forgot something!

Ah there it is, the speed tape. Ok now we're all good to go.  ;D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #104883 on: October 17, 2021, 05:04:58 am »
Best I can claim is that one of my 2465s is of the correct vintage and dates on the NASA Houston asset tag that it might have been used on or in one or more OV-10x shuttles.  :-\ Of course, pretty sure it was at least used near * one or all of them at some point. ;)

mnem
* to certain definitions of the term. :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #104884 on: October 17, 2021, 05:08:02 am »
Urg. No 2nd harmonic from the 5065A Rubidium standard...
It was working fine when I powered it down to pull the OCXO so I could replicate the frequency divider board to add my own 10MHz outputs, but now no 2nd harmonic at all. I'm guessing cell flooding at this point (it was powered down for a couple weeks).

Now I get to do the dance with externally powering the TEC for a few days to try to get the rubidium where it should be in the cell and hope I didn't damage something somehow...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104885 on: October 17, 2021, 07:54:38 am »

WTF, there is no way that PC plod would allow that to make it on the roads, that is an instant accident just waiting to happen  :-DD

Actually as long as none of it extends past the sides or rear of the car and it's properly attached it would be legal. It looks OK to me from that picture. You would of course have to tell your insurance company and they may have a different view of it.
My issue is that tha is the sort of thing that the police would stop and quetion you about. But my current bugbear, electric scooters seem to be ignored. I saw one on Friday. A woman on the pavement weaving in and out of pedestrians going to a primary scholl round 9AM. She had her kid stood on the platform in front of her  :palm: I don't have a motorcycle licence. I bet if I was doing the same thing on a unregistered & uninsured trials bike they would call the police and I'd get multiple charges. They don't bother with the scooters but its EXACTLY the same offences  :rant: :rant:
(and no it wasn't a rental one which are "registered" and insured but are not allowed on the pavement  or multiple riders)

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #104886 on: October 17, 2021, 08:59:24 am »

Actually as long as none of it extends past the sides or rear of the car and it's properly attached it would be legal. It looks OK to me from that picture. You would of course have to tell your insurance company and they may have a different view of it.

But I think over height might be a problem.  :-DD

Edit, that clearance used to be 11 foot, 8 inches and was raised to 12 foot, 4 inches and still gets whacked.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:01:03 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104887 on: October 17, 2021, 09:13:42 am »
Racal-Dana 5900 on eBay.    Flashing 160000 on all ranges.      Seller asking £100 + £20.39 shipping.   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265150760113?hash=item3dbc3784b1:g:qSIAAOSwCLJglAtT

Seller says "Powers on but is stuck on overload. Think it is a power supply issue."   -

From my experience with the 5100, I doubt it is the power supply.   The digitizer isn't working properly.    The  5900 is a complex beast with many slots for options.

NAWS.   

If it sits on eBay for awhile I may offer £20 and see what comes back.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 09:51:32 am by Andrew_Debbie »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104888 on: October 17, 2021, 09:35:52 am »
Yeah, but at least you could have got that nose over a speed bump without damage, judging by the look of it, it might have bottomed between the wheels though   :-DD
  :-DD :-DD :-DD
MOST of those bosozoku cars would not make it over a speedbump in the GWN.
NONE of those have even a remote chance of surviving a pothole in the GWN ... 
:popcorn:
Wow, you have potholes as well, I thought that it was something that only the UK and Russia had  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104889 on: October 17, 2021, 09:42:01 am »
Got a new oscilloscope. Well it says "Portable Scope" on the front but I'm not convinced. It's a Sykes Pickavant 300360.
This is actuallly an ignition analyser. I've not plugged it in yet. It runs from 12V. It has a CRT, I guess one intended for a monochrome TV or small computer monitor. Probably magnetic deflection.
It's complete with all leads, probes, instructions and digital readout "Engine Analyser" option that stacks on top.
Best of all it was free. I rescued it from WEEE. No use on modern cars with coil per plug, but I intend getting a classic one day (when SWMBO's car is replaced  >:D )

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104890 on: October 17, 2021, 09:44:03 am »

Edit, that clearance used to be 11 foot, 8 inches and was raised to 12 foot, 4 inches and still gets whacked.
Exactly that, the height alone would make it a liability and a guaranteed magnet for any law enforcement officer  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #104891 on: October 17, 2021, 09:48:19 am »
Racal-Dana 5900 on eBay.    Flashing 160000 on all ranges.      Seller asking £100 + £20.39 shipping.   

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265150760113?hash=item3dbc3784b1:g:qSIAAOSwCLJglAtT

Seller says "Powers on but is stuck on overload. Think it is a power supply issue."   -

From my experience with the 5100, I doubt it is the power supply.   The digitizer isn't working properly.    The  5900 is a complex beast with many slots for options.

NATWS.   

If it sits on eBay for awhile I may offer £20 and see what comes back.

Or a fried front-end...

I'll offer him £21...   >:D
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104892 on: October 17, 2021, 10:47:23 am »

<SNIP>

Exactly that, the height alone would make it a liability and a guaranteed magnet for any law enforcement officer  :palm:

I don't know, scaling off the image it looks to be about twich the hight of the car. The XJ is 1.3m high. So dragon is 2.6m.  That would be about 4m /13ft total.  In the UK that would not make it a tall vehicle. The standard for tall is >4.5m. Standard road clearance in UK is 5m / 16ft.
The biggest issue I can see is stability. The raised CofG could cause issues bu it does not look that heavy.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104893 on: October 17, 2021, 10:55:00 am »
The 6-pack of Metcal tips from this  >:D-bay seller (https://www.ebay.de/itm/233194371268 still has one set available) has arrived:

I have some extra STMC-101, open for some changes if anybody has some other models available.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #104894 on: October 17, 2021, 10:55:40 am »
Stability talk and Vehicle and the UK how cute  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #104895 on: October 17, 2021, 11:03:28 am »
Tonight's Bond is alleged 'Russian' TEA

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104896 on: October 17, 2021, 11:18:35 am »

It's not so much that the clearance was raised, they actually had to lower the road. Expensive it was, difference to bridge strikes it made was nothing.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104897 on: October 17, 2021, 11:20:47 am »
Back to TEA,
Pre Covid I picked up a 100K "SUBSTANDARD" resistor at  local rally. It's not poor quality just an odd name for secondary standard.
Unfortunatly this one was substandard, It was open circuit.   :-BROKE Internally it had 6 bobbin resistors. Each should be about 16.6667k. Two were open circuit. I would not even bother finding the open because the other 4 are probaly about to fail. I did have in my high accuraracy resistor box some General Resistance (now Prime Technology) NOS and ex equipment precision resistors. A quick check found a ex equpment 100K 0.0025% 12S30. This checked OK. A repair / upgrde was completed. I was careful not to overheat the resistor so only the tinnin from when it was removed was wetted with fresh solder. The copper etensions to the binding points are symmetrical so TCs should balance. The resistor is date 19 week of 1968 so well aged.
Prema says BAM  :-DMM   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104898 on: October 17, 2021, 11:22:31 am »

<SNIP>

I don't know, scaling off the image it looks to be about twich the hight of the car. The XJ is 1.3m high. So dragon is 2.6m.  That would be about 4m /13ft total.  In the UK that would not make it a tall vehicle. The standard for tall is >4.5m. Standard road clearance in UK is 5m / 16ft.
The biggest issue I can see is stability. The raised CofG could cause issues bu it does not look that heavy.

I don't think it's the CoG that you'd need to worry about, it's the CoP. That and the lift. Do more than 15 mph in that, hit the wrong gust of wind as well and I reckon that you'd be doing somersaults.   :-DD
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104899 on: October 17, 2021, 11:36:28 am »
For page 4192, we have a Hewlett Packard 4192A LF Impedance Analyzer in a three way shootout of LCR meters:

I gave the UNI-T to a friend not too long after this picture.

What's the test fixture in use?

It didn't come with any test fixture - I actually got into an argument with the seller about this because I'd pulled the manual from the Keysight website and it mentions that there's one that's included so I was adamant that the 4192A got separated from the stuff that's supposed to go with it.  Anyways, that was indeed the case, and I ended up buying an aftermarket set of Kelvin clip test leads on eBay that were designed to be used with this machine.  They work surprisingly well s that's what I've been running it with until I can get one of the correct HP test fixtures for it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf