Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553878 times)

Vince, SingleBitError and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #104975 on: October 18, 2021, 05:41:36 pm »
Not normally an ebay day, but what the hey:

Someone else buy this so I don't have to: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144244364494

What, I thought you didn't like the wobbly needle type meters  :-// >:D

Meter..? Sorry, I thought that thing on the top of it was a lamp holder!   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #104976 on: October 18, 2021, 05:43:12 pm »

A couple of RACAL RA 17 receivers are almost TEA.....

Proper enheavyment they are, and hollow-state enough.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104977 on: October 18, 2021, 05:45:49 pm »

Someone else buy this so I don't have to:

Meter..? Sorry, I thought that thing on the top of it was a lamp holder!   :palm:

Oh look, "item not described" claim just waiting to happen.  :-DD

David

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #104978 on: October 18, 2021, 05:53:21 pm »

Isn't that how they drove the props on those amphibious landing craft? They were essentially a disposable vehicle meant to be used once... twice if the soldiers got really lucky. ;)

Actually, no. Am currently spending quality time with THE ORDNANCE DEPARTMENT: ON BEACHHEAD AND BATTLEFRONT and the history of the Ordnance Dept. (that out of the blue, in 1942, was given the little additional task of dealing with the most important vehicles, those who transport supplies) is full of stories about forming companies of the Medium Maintenance type especially trained to take care of DUKW and other similar contraptions like the tracked LVT, aka. Amtrac. They were constantly trying to recover them and refurbish these pretty complicated machines to make them usable for another amphibious operation. They also were used in river crossings in Europe towards the spring of 1945, and there were DUKW in that operation that had been in several earlier landnings.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #104979 on: October 18, 2021, 06:00:07 pm »

Someone else buy this so I don't have to: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144244364494

We all know who should be buying that one. Hey, BD, we know you're watching!  :-DD :-DD

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104980 on: October 18, 2021, 06:02:34 pm »

David

Well, maybe he has REALLY big hands, and if the RIFAs go up and cause the mains fuse to blow, it'll turn off automatically...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104981 on: October 18, 2021, 06:34:57 pm »

David
Yeah, AC & DC current, digital display, 2000 count, backlight, data hold, data logging, RMS, frequency, diode test, continuity, auto-ranging, and handheld, so many ways is that a claim just waiting.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104982 on: October 18, 2021, 06:37:15 pm »

LMAO, lampholder? Really and there was me thinking it was a carrying handle  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104983 on: October 18, 2021, 06:57:08 pm »
Well the first Hack Green sale since April 2019 went ahead yesterday, here is some of what I acquired;

Advance attenuator, ancient Ikegami video camera and a Racal frequency/period meter (which I suspect is the same model as the redundant one I'm not allowed to buy at work).

Small box of IC's & other bits, sadly I've worked out what the board with 9 readouts came from  :'(, I'll see if anyone else can work it out.

Looks nice & safe, what could possibly go wrong?  :-X

Big box of junk, there were half a dozen Vidicon? bulbs in there, some haven't survived (assuming they weren't deceased already).

And finally, a very dead Racal counter, readouts & some boards missing, but they left the crystal & the vacuum-filled-transistor-bulb* in the front end.

*Blame shango for this incorrect name.

David
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:01:58 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104984 on: October 18, 2021, 06:57:40 pm »
Have a quick web search, as I did last time this was mentioned (and form your own opinion), I searched for something like "driver shortage France 2021" and found at least one article that mentioned drivers have been leaving the profession for many years.

David

Well basically yes. Driver shortage here as well, made worse by COVID but was preexisting. COVID only exacerbated the issue, made it more visible, more problematic.

A month ago I was in need of an excavator to dig the trenches in my backyard to build my garage. 60m2, was not going to do it by hand...
There is a guy in my village just down my street who runs a construction business, so went to see him. Spoke over an hour with him. Said that the profession nationwide lacks about 20,000 lorry/truck drivers. It's just a shit job nobody wants to do any more that's all.

Same with other crap jobs like working in restaurants or changing diapers and house cleaning at elderly's homes, or hotel room cleaning. They are all in shortage from what TV says.

Same with me really. 10 years doing quality control/inspection in Aircraft airframes, it's not as rosy as people think, health declined. Aviation sucks big time unless you are a white collar behind a computer all day. Salary not that great working for a small sub-contractor, never a salary increase in 10 years, zero benefit no nothing... so when they fired me 4 months ago due to COVID, I said fuck it I am not going back doing that same shit job for what ever else company, fuck planes (I prefer Helicopters anyway !  ;D ) !  So now I just stay at home working on my house and fixing scopes and whatnot to make a buck or two on the side, living (even more) poorly out of unemployment benefits, I don't care. It's not about money anymore, it's about quality of life and principles. I will take my pretty time to work on my house, get back into shape, and when I decide it, in 3 months, or 6... I will start searching for a new job, and it won't be aviation, and the next employer will get nothing out of me because I already know I will never get anything out of him, whoever he is.

It's sad but it appears that's how employers want to play it here, so I have to adjust accordingly. I can't change the way they think and operate, but at least I can minimize the damage to my mental and physical health. Do the minimum, because boss will also do the minimum he can get away with.

What a sad world we live in  :-//

So yeah, we lack drivers here too indeed, it's not BREXIT's fault !  ;D

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:06:41 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104985 on: October 18, 2021, 07:09:53 pm »

David
Yeah, AC & DC current, digital display, 2000 count, backlight, data hold, data logging, RMS, frequency, diode test, continuity, auto-ranging, and handheld, so many ways is that a claim just waiting.  :-DD

AC and DC current by measuring volts drop across a known resistance, there are digits on the display, it might have counted 2000 things or even more, there is clearly a light behind it, if you hold the probe on the reading will stay on, it comes with a pen and paper(?), it has Real Metal Solidity, the needle will wobble at the frequency being measured (better than human eyes needed for frequencies greater than 200Hz or so), you can measure the volts drop across a diode, continuity is just a low ohms range with another name, the needle automatically moves across the dial, I really don't see what the problem is...

My guess is they have no idea about this stuff and copy-pasted from something they searched (badly) ie they put in 27A multimeter, the dropped 4 being a typo.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104986 on: October 18, 2021, 07:17:35 pm »
There is a tektronix 547 tube (154-0568-00) in picture 12: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/verkaufe-funktechnik-roehren-elektronik-messtechnik-messgeraete/1895590610-168-19275
Seller had 2, now 1. Lets see, what will arrive.

Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104987 on: October 18, 2021, 07:25:35 pm »
There is a tektronix 547 tube (154-0568-00)

... probably a pile of shattered glass  ?
I hope not of course, but well, it's risky to ship anything these days, never mind an old CRT...  :-\

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104988 on: October 18, 2021, 07:32:15 pm »
Small box of IC's & other bits, sadly I've worked out what the board with 9 readouts came from  :'(, I'll see if anyone else can work it out.

And finally, a very dead Racal counter, readouts & some boards missing, but they left the crystal & the vacuum-filled-transistor-bulb* in the front end.

David

A counter of some sort, beyond that I have no idea.

"vacuum filled"? How the fuck can anything be "filled" with a vacuum?   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104989 on: October 18, 2021, 07:34:41 pm »
There is a tektronix 547 tube (154-0568-00)

... probably a pile of shattered glass  ?
I hope not of course, but well, it's risky to ship anything these days, never mind an old CRT...  :-\
She said it is in the orignal package - the box to the left is the original box. Double width than the tube and 8" / 20cm longer. It is made for shipment. I got a 585a Tube only in the original package. It survived... maybe only very muck luck.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:38:36 pm by RolandK »
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #104990 on: October 18, 2021, 07:42:13 pm »
I've been watching the 427a as well.  It is sure to go for more than I'm willing to pay..  There is always the chance of a relisting...

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104991 on: October 18, 2021, 07:47:33 pm »
Hmm, I just won an ebay auction on a re-re-listed item, for £3 less than I offered the seller a couple of months ago...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104992 on: October 18, 2021, 07:48:52 pm »
@Vince, well seeing as France is vastly bigger country than the UK, your 20,000 driver shortage is not bad, the last figure I saw quoted for us was 100,000 short :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104993 on: October 18, 2021, 07:55:02 pm »

David

It's not from a counter, maybe I should give a clue, it not from TE and I should probably mention they were 10 bulbs fitted originally.

Well Shango does like to give things daft names, this video at approx 3:50 minutes, he calls them vacuum-packed-transistor-bulbs  :-DD https://youtu.be/l63SJfQJ3O0?t=230 , would take too long to find the other one (if I got it right).

David
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 08:11:18 pm by factory »

Online Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104994 on: October 18, 2021, 08:00:01 pm »
@Vince, well seeing as France is vastly bigger country than the UK, your 20,000 driver shortage is not bad, the last figure I saw quoted for us was 100,000 short :palm:

Yeah 100,000 shortage in the UK, that's also the figure the French TV news quoted the other day.

France is larger as in area, but population/demography is not dramatically different.

Yeah I am glad it's not as bad here as it is on your side of the channel. At least here we don't have shortages of petrol in stations, of basic food supplies in super markets.  But we do have the French Post that takes longer to deliver stuff, and many online sellers display banners on their website warning customers that shipping is in jeopardy and delays can be longer than usual.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104995 on: October 18, 2021, 08:00:50 pm »

David

It's not from a counter, maybe I should give a clue, it not from TE and I should probably mention they were 10 bulbs fitted originally.

Well Shango does like to give things daft names, this video at approx 3:50 minutes, he calls them vacuum-packed-transistor-bulbs  :-DD https://youtu.be/l63SJfQJ3O0?t=230 , would take too long to find the other one (if I got it right).

David
A 10 digit Nixie calaculator?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104996 on: October 18, 2021, 08:02:28 pm »

Yeah 100,000 shortage in the UK, that's also the figure the French TV news quoted the other day.

France is larger as in area, but population/demography is not dramatically different.

Yeah I am glad it's not as bad here as it is on your side of the channel. At least here we don't have shortages of petrol in stations, of basic food supplies in super markets.  But we do have the French Post that takes longer to deliver stuff, and many online sellers display banners on their website warning customers that shipping is in jeopardy and delays can be longer than usual.

We have the same warnings on some websites as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #104997 on: October 18, 2021, 08:05:38 pm »
well, the liquidation auction is over. I did not get the stuff I wanted, but managed to win a couple of things that were also on my list ...
Kodak Document scanner
LG Nexus 5x (Hubby needs a parts mule for his Nexus 5)
1.5 kW Inverter
3D digitizer for 2 Kinects
all in all about 250 Pesos.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104998 on: October 18, 2021, 08:10:00 pm »

David

David
A 10 digit calaculator?

Correct, just need to guess which one....

David

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #104999 on: October 18, 2021, 08:14:54 pm »

David

David
A 10 digit calaculator?

Correct, just need to guess which one....

David

Not a Sumlock ANITA by any chance?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf