Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14548858 times)

Peter_O, Ice-Tea and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #105100 on: October 19, 2021, 07:13:17 pm »
[...] in Carcassonne, where I was driven by les sapeurs-pompeurs

Oh my....  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

It's "pompiers" -- right?  :palm: I sort of thought I'd gotten it wrong and then I thought, whatever, Vince will set me right.  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105101 on: October 19, 2021, 07:14:07 pm »
a Question about 427A:

The banana jacks don`t fit standard banana plugs perfekt,
seems to be larger holes there, not exactly 4mm.
Is the a special set of wires for the 427A?

Mine works just fine with most any 4mm plug I've tried.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105102 on: October 19, 2021, 07:19:12 pm »

I dunno... I have some of their epoxy and it does sortof smell like some jungle animal...  :o

mnem
takes forever to set, tho; so I rarely use it.

Gorilla CA glue sucks, big time. Never tried the epoxy but if it smells like ass as you state then it probably has the adhesive properties of a damp, sweaty, sticky ass.  ::) ::) :scared:

I've had my face glued together using medical CA. It smells the same as the Loctite gel CA that's most prevalent here. It is a madeleine cookie back to an ER in Carcassonne, where I was driven by les sapeurs-pompeurs after trying to knock down a footbridge with my forehead. (The bridge won). They used the gloo for the smaller cuts after spending 27 stitches on the big hole.
Yes, I expect the only difference between that and the Dollarama CA is it has a verifiable sterile production COC. Functionally... CA is itself a pretty effective antibiotic... most biots encapsulated in CA don't remain active for long.  :o

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*

Although any suitably pure and sterile cyanoacrylate can be used as a surgical adhesive the preferred one is 2-octyl cyanoacrylate because it's less irritating than n-butyl cyanoacrylate or the everyday ethyl 2-cyanoacrylate that is in most bottles/tubes of superglue.

I had my hand superglued up by an A&E nurse after a moments inattention with a wickedly sharp chisel left me with a 2 inch gash in my left palm that wouldn't stop bleeding on its own.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105103 on: October 19, 2021, 07:22:09 pm »

It's "pompiers" -- right?  :palm: I sort of thought I'd gotten it wrong and then I thought, whatever, Vince will set me right.  :-DD

Yes it's Pompier(s) !   :-+   

"Pompeur" sounds like a dirty play on words only a native French guy might have devised, so I did not know if it wa sa typo or if you were showing an extremely high level of mastering the language !  ;D

"Pompeur" would be a pun implying the sapeurs are very adept of blow jobs, thereby also implying they are all gay in the process  :-DD
Which is the exact opposite of a sapeur-pompier reputation... here they are seen as the alpha male, the muscled hero that attract all the females.

I think I will remember that one for a long time !  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105104 on: October 19, 2021, 07:37:06 pm »

"Pompeur" would be a pun implying the sapeurs are very adept of blow jobs, thereby also implying they are all gay in the process  :-DD
Which is the exact opposite of a sapeur-pompier reputation... here they are seen as the alpha male, the muscled hero that attract all the females.

No, it was a honest mistake. OTOH, there is precedent:

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105105 on: October 19, 2021, 07:38:06 pm »

Sapeurs pomp and circumstances. Still preferable to the pompes funèbres.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 07:44:50 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #105106 on: October 19, 2021, 08:11:44 pm »

"Pompeur" sounds like a dirty play on words only a native French guy might have devised, so I did not know if it wa sa typo or if you were showing an extremely high level of mastering the language !  ;D

I dunno mans.... these are so you...  :-DD

mnem
whaaaaaaaat...?  >:D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 12:04:27 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105107 on: October 19, 2021, 08:16:10 pm »

I dunno... I have some of their epoxy and it does sortof smell like some jungle animal...  :o

mnem
takes forever to set, tho; so I rarely use it.

Gorilla CA glue sucks, big time. Never tried the epoxy but if it smells like ass as you state then it probably has the adhesive properties of a damp, sweaty, sticky ass.  ::) ::) :scared:

I've had my face glued together using medical CA. It smells the same as the Loctite gel CA that's most prevalent here. It is a madeleine cookie back to an ER in Carcassonne, where I was driven by les sapeurs-pompeurs after trying to knock down a footbridge with my forehead. (The bridge won). They used the gloo for the smaller cuts after spending 27 stitches on the big hole.
Yes, I expect the only difference between that and the Dollarama CA is it has a verifiable sterile production COC. Functionally... CA is itself a pretty effective antibiotic... most biots encapsulated in CA don't remain active for long.  :o

mnem
*toddles off to do something constructive*

Apparently medical tissue adhesive is chemically different to the common stuff. I was told by a doctor who does research that the common stuff causes inflammation. For starters it liberates formalin as it cures which is not good. The medical adhesive also has a plasticiser. As well as allowing the skin tof flex a bit it aids in the breakdown of the adhesive as the wound heals.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #105108 on: October 19, 2021, 09:20:46 pm »
Almost forgot to post this here....

David

Damn - I completely forgot about that one, despite having had it out about a month and a half ago.   :palm:

Nice!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105109 on: October 19, 2021, 11:22:23 pm »

Sapeurs pomp and circumstances. Still preferable to the pompes funèbres.
You were faster with that one. But I have the story to go with it.
In the mid 90s, I had activities in the French city of St. Etienne.
After some visits as a kid, I had been giving that country a wide berth - that blasted language having endangered my Abitur was only the last straw of a reason. Now I had to go there, and despite having been assured that I would be fine with English at the company I was visiting, I felt the necessity to polish up at least some common technical terms. Voilá, I knew about fiches and prises, le courant continu et le courant alternatif, and I was quite sure that 'pompes' are pumps.
Now in Germany, we have some occurrences of industrial sales representancies having taken residence in a former retail shop and having the windows painted over or replaced by opaque glass, sometimes showing a logo of one or several manufacturers. There are two former shops of this type in Mannheim alone.
Now I drove through St. Etienne, and within a short time I had encountered not one but FOUR shops of this type, all of which seemed to sell pumps! I wondered whether this city suffers from a high water table or maybe a particularly deficient sewage system - and decided to investigate!
I entered this pump-peddling business and adressed the serious looking gentleman behind the counter straight away. I asked him, in more ore less correct french, but with the correct technical terms, whether he sells rotary (pompes rotatives) or plunger pumps (pompes à piston) and for which purpose they are?
Just to make sure that I would be understood correctly I did underlay the vocal communication with gestural depictions of the pumps mentioned. And I was puzzled by the fact that, as far as a furtive glance through the room yielded, not a single pump was to be seen there!
The (supposed) salesman of flow-inducing machinery looked at me rather aghast. Then my eyes fell upon the half-opened sliding door to another room, where some grieving relatives were pondering the offered selection of caskets. Suddenly I was able to make the connection from 'funèbres' to 'funeral', which had not occured to me before. I think that I managed to snort not too loudly and say something as well before I managed to leave the shop through the nicely etched glass door.
The story was quite a hoot with my hosts at GIAT. One guy told me that I got it wrong - before the deceased can be pumped away, it would be necessary to feed them into a macerator.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:28:09 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Neper

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #105110 on: October 20, 2021, 01:06:37 am »
Well, enabling options on the TDS784C has been successful, now to try and upgrade the firmware next...  :-BROKE

Managed to enable the 4M memory (Opt 1M) and communications signal analyzer (Opt 2C) over the ones already enabled.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, capt bullshot, ch_scr, mansaxel, 0culus

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #105111 on: October 20, 2021, 03:22:27 am »

J'ai peur de quoi?  (fear of what? pumps?)
Yeah, if it were me, I would rather be taken care of by pompiers!

Okay, nothing to fear, as the story is all out in the open.

Around here, it is urban legend that the quickest technique to not be single is to join the volunteer fire department.
However, the same urban legend says that getting married results in bat-shit crazy (in the language of this group) or else quickly resulting in retirement from the department.
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 03:57:02 am by cyclin_al »

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #105112 on: October 20, 2021, 03:27:28 am »

I dunno mans.... these are so you...  :-DD

mnem
whaaaaaaaat...? >:D

Woah!  Did Mrs dwagon see those?

SWMBO would go gagga over those, especially if they were boots with less heel.
She's tall enough to not need that much heel!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #105113 on: October 20, 2021, 03:52:26 am »
F&A.  ;D
Machine is all unlocked and upgraded as far as it will go.
Here's my process for anyone who wants to do the same:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/unified-tektool-released-!-(firmware-flash-tools-for-old-tds-series)/msg3758918/#msg3758918

Now, does anyone have a HDD option board they are willing to sell? :D  :-/O
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #105114 on: October 20, 2021, 04:14:30 am »
I got in on that evilbay sale of the Fluke 27/AN meters; listed at $150, offered $130 and it was accepted, so wound up getting it for about $150 after shipping and paying the .gov's cut.  It arrived today.  Pretty sure it's brand spankin' new old stock - don't think it was ever out of the box.  It includes the 6 kV and 40 kV probes, the RF probe, an operator's manual and a service manual complete with schematics and parts list.

A few more pics at: https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fluke-27AN-Meter

(Of course I don't have any 9V batteries handy; need to get one tomorrow.)

According to the listing, there are still more than ten left.  https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/Fluke-27AN-Meter/i-6zzCL8P/0/9350235a/X2/Fluke%2027_AN%20Kit%20-%20Cpl-X2.jpg
NAWTS, but if you'd like a like new 27/AN, go for it.

-Pat

Damn, can't stop thinking about this deal. Could replace my crappy Simpson high voltage probe I had to modify to work with 10Mohm meters. I might have to extend an offer on Monday  :palm:

Dave did a video on the Fluke 27 a while ago

I have been thinking about it too.
On Sunday, I should be able to confirm if the Tektronix RM564 is placed into safe hands, with eventual exchange to me.
That means I will need HV probes to work on that scope, at least that could be my excuse.

-- Makes mental note to research if such probes would actually be useful, or whether I am making an excuse to upgrade some gear...

EDIT:  Later saw the dwagon's response.  Maybe I could play the intermediary?  Pre-COVID, I would travel often to Longueuil for work.  Just need the appropriate excuse to go.
In the other direction, I assume I need to go towards dwagon territory, pending the RM564.  Maybe ask the seller for a bulk rate for 3 units...

Fluke 27's have arrived.  Two for $125 each (Of course, paying in Canuck shekels means it cost more than that).  Offer was based on simplified bulk shipping for two.  They were shipped separately... 

Regular leads appear to be included.

The two inspectors seem focused on the case that contained two service manuals.  The other case did not have a service manual.  As you can see, the problem has been resolved for final inspection. 
I assume that 12 years ago, a marine recruit got lucky with doing a half-assed manual job, which was not nearly as mind-numbing a task as their superior officers expected.  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 04:18:26 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, FransW, Kosmic

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #105115 on: October 20, 2021, 06:53:34 am »

Fluke 27's have arrived.  Two for $125 each (Of course, paying in Canuck shekels means it cost more than that).  Offer was based on simplified bulk shipping for two.  They were shipped separately... 

Regular leads appear to be included.

The two inspectors seem focused on the case that contained two service manuals.  The other case did not have a service manual.  As you can see, the problem has been resolved for final inspection. 
I assume that 12 years ago, a marine recruit got lucky with doing a half-assed manual job, which was not nearly as mind-numbing a task as their superior officers expected.  :-DD

Oh, interesting. It seems you lucked out, with leads and cal and special tag attached. Congratulations. Our Inspector has not paid so much interest in them yet.

Am currently traveling for work. This is a strangely familiar yet very rare experience. TE carried: My Wandel & Goltermann optical test set, enhanced with all-optical microscope and cleaning kit.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #105116 on: October 20, 2021, 07:35:23 am »
Gadget arrived from the other side of the globe today and a Jammy Git biscuit for the first correct guess of what tautech's new toy might be.  :)
Spec sheet attached.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
« Reply #105117 on: October 20, 2021, 08:37:26 am »
The hp handheld 2000 count multimeter :-DMM went a bit silly, way more than I was prepared to pay considering the crap pictures & high potential for a pile of battery corrosion inside. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144244364494

David
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274221182425?epid=1202966720&hash=item3fd8db2dd9:g:-p0AAOSwHLFeKZko
the 2000 counts mean you are counting at minimum 2000 Webshops to get the batteries for your 427.
So, if they are fresh inside, the 100+ pounds may be allready  :popcorn:

The meter has Option 01, mains power. Mine too, even so modern it has a C14 inlet. I removed the completely dead battery, and am running it from mains ever since. It's a desktop meter, it can be mains powered! If one insists, I believe threetwo 6F22 in series would be a sensible bodge, IIRC.

I use 3 of these 2CR5 litium batteries in series.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #105118 on: October 20, 2021, 08:53:43 am »
Gadget arrived from the other side of the globe today and a Jammy Git biscuit for the first correct guess of what tautech's new toy might be.  :)
Spec sheet attached.

That's a Leo Bodnar fast edge pulse generator device, isn't it?

Should I be right, there's something wrong with the hardcopy. The rise/fall times appear quite unplausible. Afair, this gadget is in the 20 ... 40 ps ballpark.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 08:55:59 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105119 on: October 20, 2021, 08:58:23 am »
Just in case someone's interested in results of my timenut activities, here's a summary (updated):

http://wunderkis.de/tnfb/fdif_meas.html

Noise floor of my various contraptions:

http://wunderkis.de/tnfb/noise_floor.html

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, DC1MC, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #105120 on: October 20, 2021, 09:00:16 am »
Spec sheet attached.

That's a Leo Bodnar fast edge pulse generator device, isn't it?

Nailed it and just when about to call you all a bunch of useless tits  :P but then the good Capt has proved his worth again after earlier nailing the quiz that Vince put up.  :horse:

Needs something a bit faster than my SDS5104X to match a sub 30ps risetime.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105121 on: October 20, 2021, 09:00:42 am »

Nice, what cat rating are they?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:16:20 am by capt bullshot »

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105123 on: October 20, 2021, 09:12:57 am »
Ball Efratom dual Rubidium GPSDO.  Joint acquisition with a ham friend of mine.
We will split it into two Rb units so that we each have our own Rb.

And sell off the unused bits & bobs, like battery backup units, a 2.048MHz ref module and de GPS unit.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105124 on: October 20, 2021, 09:14:17 am »
The distrib side of the Ball Efratom

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf