Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14893514 times)

shakalnokturn and 136 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #105175 on: October 21, 2021, 04:14:00 am »

Spring cleaning the shack first.....

Just the opposite here. Prepping for winter. Snow brush and spare gloves in the CR-V. I'll carry a shovel only if I have to go out during a storm. Being retired is certainly a blessing with that, should not have to go out. Doing a coolant change this weekend. Every 2 years. This "lifetime" coolant or 100K mile claim is a bunch of crap.

It hasn't gone below freezing at night yet. But I expect in the next week or so it will.   

I should be doing the same here.
In La belle province, snow tires are legally required in 3.5 weeks from now...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #105176 on: October 21, 2021, 04:26:06 am »

Spring cleaning the shack first.....

Just the opposite here. Prepping for winter. Snow brush and spare gloves in the CR-V. I'll carry a shovel only if I have to go out during a storm. Being retired is certainly a blessing with that, should not have to go out. Doing a coolant change this weekend. Every 2 years. This "lifetime" coolant or 100K mile claim is a bunch of crap.

It hasn't gone below freezing at night yet. But I expect in the next week or so it will.   

I should be doing the same here.
In La belle province, snow tires are legally required in 3.5 weeks from now...

Do "All season" tires meet that requirement or must they be dedicated snow tires? I run all season on the CR-V and with the AWD it's pretty much unstoppable in snow.

But Canadian Tyre must love that law. I remember as a kid and the days of bias ply tires (useless in snow) and come November crowds lined up outside Sears and Montgomery Ward Auto Service to get snow tires installed. And people getting into fights over who was first in line.  :-DD   

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #105177 on: October 21, 2021, 06:13:25 am »
Same. Absolute 4 foot minimum here. And that's just minimum to get below the Winter frost line.
Not sure about footing requirements here in Sydney - but my experience of frost is usually a light coating of white on the leaves of grass that goes crunch when you walk on it - until mid-morning when the sun takes care of it.  This doesn't happen all that often and I can't remember when the last time I encountered such.

On the subject of TEA, I really need to organise my work area  (...or more honestly, chuck out the crap.)

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, cyclin_al

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #105178 on: October 21, 2021, 06:30:27 am »
Same. Absolute 4 foot minimum here. And that's just minimum to get below the Winter frost line.
Not sure about footing requirements here in Sydney - but my experience of frost is usually a light coating of white on the leaves of grass that goes crunch when you walk on it - until mid-morning when the sun takes care of it.  This doesn't happen all that often and I can't remember when the last time I encountered such.

On the subject of TEA, I really need to organise my work area  (...or more honestly, chuck out the crap.)

Speaking of TEA I found a yellow box in my Spring Cleaning today too  :palm:

Also found 350 20mm denubbined holes and the corresponding 700 chamfers  :phew: BEER and Snacks time  :popcorn:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #105179 on: October 21, 2021, 07:15:43 am »
I guess I'm the minority neat one. No need for Spring or Fall cleaning.  Taken 5 minutes ago in the early morning darkness. The only item out of place is the 212 mini waiting to be torn down and fixed. And off in the far corner the Type 547 running a burn-in cycle (and keeping the room warm).

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #105180 on: October 21, 2021, 07:58:30 am »
Finally made it, was looking for this cup for a while, with the blue and black HP logo. Also 1970s HP PaperMate pencils.

Your next task is to add one of these to your collection :)

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #105181 on: October 21, 2021, 08:13:32 am »

Is that the yellow box we discussed a few weeks ago?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #105182 on: October 21, 2021, 08:15:45 am »
I guess I'm the minority neat one. No need for Spring or Fall cleaning.

That's not a workbench.  That's a movie set.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, scl, Specmaster, wolfy007, beanflying, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #105183 on: October 21, 2021, 08:19:14 am »

Nice.

Must resist ... unless I "just happen" to come across one.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105184 on: October 21, 2021, 08:22:52 am »

Is that the yellow box we discussed a few weeks ago?

Yep. Got part of the delay issue some extra support with a Balance/Exercise Class and additional home Physio ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105185 on: October 21, 2021, 08:24:42 am »
I guess I'm the minority neat one. No need for Spring or Fall cleaning.  Taken 5 minutes ago in the early morning darkness. The only item out of place is the 212 mini waiting to be torn down and fixed. And off in the far corner the Type 547 running a burn-in cycle (and keeping the room warm).

I think that is a 'stunt' corner somewhere there is more than just a cupboard of doom :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #105186 on: October 21, 2021, 08:39:13 am »

I think that is a 'stunt' corner somewhere there is more than just a cupboard of doom :-DD

Yes there is. An entire closet. But it's kept neat too. So there.  :P :P :P :-DD

No "doom" here.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105187 on: October 21, 2021, 08:59:45 am »

To make sure I have enough, I just bought another -hp- 5245L...
Have to find a way to get one of those old hp mains cables, don't want to replace the instruments plug. I know a place where there are lots of those cables, but I have currently no access, so have to get such a cable.
Any pointer?

Oh, you bought the one in Buxtehude? Congratulations.

Yes, exactly. This is comfortable to collect, however the seller hasn't responded yet.
Seems to be in better condition than the previous one. Just for curiosity I pulled A6 and A7 and tested the rectumfiers off-line to be ok, the regulator board with the crapacitors to follow.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, factory, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #105188 on: October 21, 2021, 09:44:28 am »

Do "All season" tires meet that requirement or must they be dedicated snow tires? I run all season on the CR-V and with the AWD it's pretty much unstoppable in snow.

Here all season "M&S" is OK with the law -- but the rubber mix in those is a tad soft so as to not turn into black glass when cold. The wear consequently is higher, and thus most people swap tires.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105189 on: October 21, 2021, 10:28:56 am »

Here all season "M&S" is OK with the law -- but the rubber mix in those is a tad soft so as to not turn into black glass when cold. The wear consequently is higher, and thus most people swap tires.

Same here in germany, but I prefer to swap tires two times a year. We do not have a season to use winter tires by law, but you have to use them if driving in snow and ice. So be prepared to  have 'em mounted if its snowing in July  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105190 on: October 21, 2021, 10:46:08 am »
Also found 350 20mm denubbined holes...

Now we know how many denubbined holes it takes to fill the Albert hall?

Same here in germany, but I prefer to swap tires two times a year.

Cost-wise, it doesn't make much of a difference because each set lasts twice as long if not longer. Got both sets on their own rims so I have complete wheels changed. Much easier and faster and they don't have to be balanced each time.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:52:55 am by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105191 on: October 21, 2021, 10:48:30 am »
Also found 350 20mm denubbined holes...

Now we know how many denubbined holes it takes to fill the Albert hall?

LMAO  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105192 on: October 21, 2021, 10:56:44 am »
Pleased it is less than that  ;)

Tomorrows lot is a few hundred more to take up from slightly undersized in 8mm Stainless so much slower going.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 11:00:19 am by beanflying »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105193 on: October 21, 2021, 11:45:38 am »
My ebay £20 SELECTION OF ELECTRICAL MULTI TASTERS. PLUS STUD ETC TESTER arrived.
And none of them work  :--
The Fluke 11 has missing segments, we all know what that is.
The Micronta is dead. the two AG12 cells are bulged and flat but straghr replacement didn't fix it.
The Sinometer and stud finder were both on and dad so probably flat batteries too.
So much for "NEW BATTERIES FITTED." in the description.
I've not done a "Not as described" case yet but have told the seller and suggested a partial refund may be in order.......

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105194 on: October 21, 2021, 11:51:59 am »
Got both sets on their own rims so I have complete wheels changed. Much easier and faster and they don't have to be balanced each time.

Yes, of course, I meant to swap wheels as I don't have the possibility to swap the tires on rims and balance them by myself. Those steel rims doesn't cost that much.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #105195 on: October 21, 2021, 12:02:00 pm »
Amen, brutha!!!   :palm:

mnem
Can I get a witness...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105196 on: October 21, 2021, 12:03:51 pm »
Those steel rims doesn't cost that much.

I was shocked to see how much they actually cost. My tyre dealer made me a good price for a set of decent alloys and they were marginally more expensive.

I used to change the wheels myself but with those stupid new pressure sensors I have it done by the dealer. Almost hit the bl**dy roof when the first set of sensors quit after a mere two years and the replacement would have cost me over 300 euros. In the end, we settled for 200, change and stocking included.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #105197 on: October 21, 2021, 12:06:27 pm »
Got both sets on their own rims so I have complete wheels changed. Much easier and faster and they don't have to be balanced each time.

Yes, of course, I meant to swap wheels as I don't have the possibility to swap the tires on rims and balance them by myself. Those steel rims doesn't cost that much.

As a kid, I remember my Dad making me dig through the shed for both sets of snow tires.  He wouldn't let me change them, just do the grunt work of getting them out and putting the regular tires back in their place.  When I was a teenager, he let me do all the work.  Here in Florida I don't have to put on snow tires but I do rotate my own tires.  2 jacks, 2 jack stands and a compressor makes the job easy.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105198 on: October 21, 2021, 12:33:22 pm »

Same here; they're in the shed and on the agenda for some time in the next few daze. Regular tires go back in the shed, which we park right next to. This means the TPMS can continue to communicate with the car; since we didn't spring for extra modules for the winter rims, this keeps the car from bitching aboot the fact it can't talk with its shoes.

mnem
The stoopit schizz we do do to make our cars happy... ::)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 01:27:33 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105199 on: October 21, 2021, 01:41:25 pm »
Finally made it, was looking for this cup for a while, with the blue and black HP logo. Also 1970s HP PaperMate pencils.
mmmm... that is very reminiscent of a Ka-bar lockback I had back in the day. Thing took a very good edge, had great balance and the solid stainless body was a joy in the hand.

I still miss it.

mnem
drop-point FTW :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf