Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14784772 times)

dj831, factory, BrianInTexas, Jambalaya, djadeski, K0ELB, klab, tggzzz, powerflux, Vince and 121 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #105350 on: October 25, 2021, 02:02:22 am »
Thanks for the clarification, though. I probably can tease a tea-dumper a bit more calling his sedan a saloon, so will adapt language for maximum cheekyness.

Tease all you want. My Civic is a 2 door coupe (not a sedan) and the CR-V is an SUV. And if I want a drink I'll go to the local saloon.  :P :P ;D
No, it's a 2-door sedan; it has back seats. A coupe has 2 doors, 2 seats only.

mnem
*has owned 11 Honda Civics, and every one a sedan. Or wagon.*

Wrong Sherlock....Honda calls it a "coupe"

Edit...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:14:22 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #105351 on: October 25, 2021, 02:03:07 am »
I find myself in a very strange situation. I have no pressing projects for repair/restoration.  :-// It feels very weird. I must go shopping on the bay of evil.   :scared:

My wallet went into hiding.  :-DD
I'll send a few crusty 454s in on rescue detail.  >:D

mnem
 :-BROKE
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105352 on: October 25, 2021, 02:06:04 am »

Thanks for the clarification, though. I probably can tease a tea-dumper a bit more calling his sedan a saloon, so will adapt language for maximum cheekyness.

Tease all you want. My Civic is a 2 door coupe (not a sedan) and the CR-V is an SUV. And if I want a drink I'll go to the local saloon.  :P :P ;D
Run out of rope then, have we? ;)

No, but he's run out of rope lubricant, so has to top up with one of the American varieties of said lubricant: Budweiser, Coors, whatever.  :)

Lubricant? We don't use no stinkin' lubricant.  >:D ;D
Quite right. That's spleen coolant he's leaking all over his rope.  :-DD

mnem
*glad the only cat in my life is Cat5 or Cat6*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105353 on: October 25, 2021, 02:43:05 am »
From all the comments about the season change, this image has flashed before my eyes....

Come down under and you'll be greeted by quite the opposite!

Did anyone here model for that role ...?

Though, I'm not sure WA got the Fax------after some nice weather, Perth & the Southwest are back into grey skies, rain, & generally miserable conditions.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105354 on: October 25, 2021, 02:46:01 am »

Run out of rope then, have we? ;)

No, but he's run out of rope lubricant, so has to top up with one of the American varieties of said lubricant: Budweiser, Coors, whatever.  :)

Lubricant? We don't use no stinkin' lubricant.  >:D ;D
Quite right. That's spleen coolant he's leaking all over his rope.  :-DD

mnem
*glad the only cat in my life is Cat5 or Cat6*

]I only have Cat1, but I have Dog2. ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105355 on: October 25, 2021, 02:47:20 am »
It's a lottery list car for me too, but they are notoriously unreliable on the electronics side (and every other side unfortunately).

And it has the styling only the English could love.  :o

BAM!  :P :-DD
You have no idea how wrong you are.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #105356 on: October 25, 2021, 02:50:40 am »
Kind of explain why it's not booting. Now I need to find another image software or an older version of Acronis or maybe something that can convert a GPT partition back to MBR ?

Arrggg stupid PC and windows!!!  :rant:

Capt. Bullshot is right. Use Linux / dd and it should work out in your sense.

https://serverfault.com/questions/4906/using-dd-for-disk-cloning

I recommend to use the Linux tool box for such cases: grml.

https://grml.org/

Thanks. I haven't seen grml before. I usually have ubcd, system rescue cd, hbcd or a general linux livecd.

For booting ISOs from a thumb drive, Ventoy is excellent. Carry a bunch of ISOs around instead of rewriting your thumb drive for just one. I don't recall if it had been mentioned among the gazillion posts here.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105357 on: October 25, 2021, 02:57:46 am »
It's a lottery list car for me too, but they are notoriously unreliable on the electronics side (and every other side unfortunately).

There's no doubt that particular Aston is a crime against motor car styling but I don't think you can single out the English for that.

Need I say, or rather show, more?
Love you man, but fuck that. The 59 Fleetwood was an award-winning design, and while I don't personally love it (I preferred later Fleetwoods and the El Dorado), I understand the thought process that went into it and respect it. Also, the suicide fins are simply outrageous.

As for the 58 Edsel... I'd love to have one. I'd sell it immediately and put the money in the bank for my son's college. The Fleetwood... I'd drive that for a while before selling it. Even in salmon pink.

mnem
*motorhead-dwagon*
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 02:59:31 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105358 on: October 25, 2021, 03:01:59 am »
I did contemplate posting a photo of the PT Cruiser but they are so butt ugly none of our eyes need to suffer that much  ;D

Yea, spare us the eye bleach. And you'll also wake up the dragon and we'll never hear the end of it because he owned one.  ::) :palm:

Edit...aw crap, he's awake.  :-DD

mnem
Only if it's a ragtop.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105359 on: October 25, 2021, 03:02:58 am »
Kind of explain why it's not booting. Now I need to find another image software or an older version of Acronis or maybe something that can convert a GPT partition back to MBR ?

Arrggg stupid PC and windows!!!  :rant:

Capt. Bullshot is right. Use Linux / dd and it should work out in your sense.

https://serverfault.com/questions/4906/using-dd-for-disk-cloning

I recommend to use the Linux tool box for such cases: grml.

https://grml.org/

Thanks. I haven't seen grml before. I usually have ubcd, system rescue cd, hbcd or a general linux livecd.

For booting ISOs from a thumb drive, Ventoy is excellent. Carry a bunch of ISOs around instead of rewriting your thumb drive for just one. I don't recall if it had been mentioned among the gazillion posts here.

No didn't know about it. But it look like a really good idea, will give it a try thanks!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105360 on: October 25, 2021, 03:08:20 am »

mnem

Wrong Sherlock....Honda calls it a "coupe"Edit...   
A car manufacturer playing fast and loose with the English language...? Who'd ever imagine that... A coupe is a very specific thing, and has been for a very long time. it is defined by the lack of rear seats.

Calling a sedan a coupe is just marketing wank to make it sound sporty.

mnem
 |O

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #105361 on: October 25, 2021, 03:11:42 am »

mnem

Wrong Sherlock....Honda calls it a "coupe"Edit...   
A car manufacturer playing fast and loose with the English language...? Who'd ever imagine that... A coupe is a very specific thing, and has been for a very long time. it is defined by the lack of rear seats.

mnem
 |O

I can put the back seat down if that makes you happy.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #105362 on: October 25, 2021, 03:19:33 am »
Ah, analog oscilloscopes aren't limited to just the usual wiggly traces, scope music, and clock faces.

https://github.com/schlae/scopetrex

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105363 on: October 25, 2021, 03:28:15 am »

mnem
 |O

I can put the back seat down if that makes you happy.  :P :-DD
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NSX_(first_generation)

:-DD   Actually, that reminds me... this afternoon while I was road-runnin' I saw an example of an actual coupe made by Honda: a First-gen Acura NSX, and it was in nigh-pristine condition; which I haven't seen one of in probably at least 5 years. Would definitely drive that.

mnem
vroom.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2021, 03:40:33 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #105364 on: October 25, 2021, 05:02:38 am »
Makes me wonder what the cal cost on top of that, for units that got it...

mnem
 :bullshit:

Leatherneck time. They make it themselves. As far as I can tell. Now, with the Corps as with any other US branch of directed violence, one never knows when The Contractor shows up and eats huge amounts of tax money.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #105365 on: October 25, 2021, 05:24:24 am »
Ah, analog oscilloscopes aren't limited to just the usual wiggly traces, scope music, and clock faces.

https://github.com/schlae/scopetrex

oh. I still have the complete parts set, but never gotten around to throwing it together.
Fortunately I also have an original Vectrex, so no copyright infringement there ...
Eeeet eeees a fun console.
Had to repair the joystick, which works great now.

Hmm. Scopetrex and 212 should work. Unfortunately I only have a 211 ... (and a Hameg, thanks to Captn Bullshot).

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #105366 on: October 25, 2021, 05:34:55 am »
Cruisy hour or so in the Sun ;D squeezing 19.9x waterjet holes to bang on 20.00 it seems. Alignment pin on the right I tweaked for a slight taper from 19.98 to 20.02 at the top so I guess 1/2 way in must be close.

Really slow sub 400 RPM on the Bosch, squirt of WD40 to cut down on any galling and a cheap and cheerful 20mm reduced shank H7 Reamer.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #105367 on: October 25, 2021, 06:22:13 am »

Hmm. Scopetrex and 212 should work. Unfortunately I only have a 211 ... (and a Hameg, thanks to Captn Bullshot).

The Hameg has X/Y mode, but lacks the Z input, so you should at least be able to see if the board works. Z input seems rare at the simple 2ch oscilloscopes.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105368 on: October 25, 2021, 06:52:42 am »
A quick reply, I think all seven boards are replacements, the manual from Artek is a little newer.
I can't see how they wouldn't work at a lower speed, with the 5MHz board in the correct position, just you wouldn't get the full 50MC.

David

I have the artek manual for the 5245L issued 1965. I have the service manual from BAMA or KO4BB for instruments serial prefix 628 as well.  I see no signs of these board revisions. The artek manual however includes six revisions of the A15/A16 boards. And they state the two high speed boards to be used, maybe the boards 5212L-4A are even slower than the 600kc of the 05232-6016?

When I received the counter (serial prefix 408, clearly marked as defective) the higher speed board however was populated at the upper most digit, so getting the lowest frequency :palm: But board and nixie are defective, so I think he swapped the boards to get a 7 digit counter but broke the high speed decimal counter. Will try to fix the board (more than one digit is lighting) which should be doable unless the photocoupler assembly is bad.
On wednesday I get another 5245L with serial prefix 504, let's see what's inside :)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105369 on: October 25, 2021, 06:56:59 am »

The Hameg has X/Y mode, but lacks the Z input, so you should at least be able to see if the board works. Z input seems rare at the simple 2ch oscilloscopes.

tbh, due to recent events I did not have time to look into it (or was just tooo worn out)

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #105370 on: October 25, 2021, 07:22:28 am »
On the repair front, I opened up my recently acquired HP 334A Distortion Analyzer.

Looks like it's due for a full recap... Some of the Vishay Sprague 30D caps are well on their way to turning themselves inside-out...  :-/O
I think I might just replace them with radial United Chemicons, the 30D's aren't anything particularly special, just a general purpose cap, and for the amount of caps I need for this unit, I'd be spending over $150 on 30D caps alone... Even low ESR KY(x) series United Chemicons are almost an order of magnitude cheaper and the technology is much newer too...

While I'm at it, I might replace all the nasty drifty and noisy carbon composite resistors with equivalent 50/100ppm 1% metal film types as I can get them cheap in Akihabara.

Besides that, it looks almost as clean inside as the day it was made.

For the two big boys you may have trouble with height if you go with a radial replacement. But I'll bet if you upgraded to 3300uf axial rather than trying to go for that oddball 2600uf you could get them relatively cheap.

It looks like some of the others are 50uf. Run with 47uf, much cheaper.

Yeah, I think I might just do what I did with my 5065A, I extended one leg of a radial cap with some tinned copper wire, then bent it up to run to the top of the capacitor then heat shrunk the lot with clear heat shrink.
That way I effectively have an axial capacitor, it's a modern cap with modern technology, and the heat shrink keeps it all insulated and contained, but being clear I can still see the markings.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105371 on: October 25, 2021, 08:10:44 am »

Allow me to translate:- It does not have enough bling or bright bits or humungous great fins  :P :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105372 on: October 25, 2021, 08:28:01 am »
With all of this discussion of the Fluke 27's here lately, I just revisited the specifications of those, and they must have been really expensive when new because they have a DC specification of 0.1% +1 count whereas a newer Fluke 75 only has an accuracy of 0.4% +1 count. They are every bit as good as the Fluke 85 which a newer meter but with the addition of capacitance and frequency added to its range, neither of which are as good dedicated devices, so anyone getting those meters with the EHV probes are getting a first class meter.
Precisely why, after much hemming and hawing, I went in with cyclin_al on the twins to save a few shekels on shipping. I think it'll be good company for my 189.

mnem
 :-/O
Yep, way ahead of you there, I already have 2 of them, in their MOD cases, complete with normal leads and manuals in my collection.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105373 on: October 25, 2021, 08:47:47 am »

mnem
No I can't give you that one because coupe refers more to the styling of the roofline than the number of seats the car has, here we see photos of the Rover 3.5 Litre V8 saloon and coupe, but both are luxury 4 seater cars, used by Royalty and dignitaries alike.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Robert763

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105374 on: October 25, 2021, 08:57:28 am »
I am amazed at the power supply one of the chips I am holding in my hands needs.
It is asking for > 200 Ampere.
WTF ....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf