Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14822935 times)

BILLPOD and 225 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #105725 on: October 28, 2021, 07:33:46 pm »
I kinda got this part through immersion while I lived in the UK, however one thing I would like answered is what the factual, objective difference between " THIS " and " THAT " is ..... it still boggles my mind... to thjis date I consider it as equivalent words and one just uses one or the other purely based on his personal habit or if he feels one "sounds" better (to him) than the other, in a particular sentence...

When using both in the same sentence or paragraph they are almost always linked to the physical proximity of the speaker to the objects in question. If not physical proximity them temporal proximity, with the past being further away and 'this' being the present.

Tom: "So which of the pies are you going to eat?"
Dick: [Picking up a pie.] "I'll have this one, you have that one." [Pointing to the pie left on the table]
Tom: "OK, I think this one [picks up pie] is a little bigger than that one." [Points to the pie Dick is holding.]

Harry: "Who ate all the pies? I thought that at least this time I would get a look in. That will be the last time I let you bastards get to the kitchen before me."

Hmmmm...... interesting....... I will meditate on that.... thanks Professor Cerebrus !  :-+
He is only Professor Cerebrus when he's wearing the Helm of Ocular Precision *... the rest of the time it's just Cerebus, the Aardvark of Doom.  Especially if he's been in the blood pudding again; it gives him gas.   :o

mnem
*  or was that the Panties of Potency...? I never can remember... ???
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #105726 on: October 28, 2021, 07:36:38 pm »
dunno.
planning a trip to Antioch to retrieve the holy handgrenade ...

1, 2, 5. no, 3 !

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105727 on: October 28, 2021, 07:54:46 pm »
Here is a rather unusual Tektronix piece of gear ?!  :o

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/2061899528.htm

I have no idea what the seller was smoking when he redacted his ad, but must be some strong stuff for sure....  the full description of the ad does not give any hint either, just gives a mile long list of all of the features.

Any idea ? A special edition of some sort perhaps ?! :-//

A long shot I know, but I wonder if the seller might have meant Tiptronic gear box?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105728 on: October 28, 2021, 07:56:11 pm »
Here's a photo of the GDM-9061

I am not taking it apart, it is brand spanking new and has 3 years warranty ... the box content was complete and undamaged.

Cannot compare it to the DMM royalty as I have none of those. It should be able to keep up with my MetraHit handheld, though (managing expectations here).

Plenty connectors at the back, need to read the manual. It is said to support 4 wire.
My favorite is still a Fluke 179 ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105729 on: October 28, 2021, 07:57:03 pm »

I have no idea what the seller was smoking when he redacted his ad, but must be some strong stuff for sure....  the full description of the ad does not give any hint either, just gives a mile long list of all of the features.

A long shot I know, but I wonder if the seller might have meant Tiptronic gear box?
absofragginglutely.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105730 on: October 28, 2021, 08:03:50 pm »
Forgive me Odin for I have sinned.

This is no Keto conforming food.
This is the absolutely best fishnchips I can get in a 50 km radius.
To'n Fischhus in Hooksiel, outer harbor

if you ever come to the Schlicktown area, this is a must have.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105731 on: October 28, 2021, 08:06:35 pm »

Anyone know why these curves show on the CRT, could it be related to the brightness?? Can't turn it down as the control is broken off.

I've seen those 'lunate' kind of marks on CRTs before and heard an explanation for it. I've been biding my time and waiting to see if the explanation would creep out of the memory recess that it's gone to hide in but it's not happening. Even though I can't remember what it is characteristic of I thought it might still be useful to say that it is characteristic of something.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #105732 on: October 28, 2021, 08:09:44 pm »

The 8060 is very different from the other meters in the 802[0-9] series, and has lots more bits and bobs. The others are much simpler, and I remember my foray into my 8022 resulting in just 3 "Krusty Kaps" found after a thorough search.

Are those more fine quality Panasonic (Matsushita) leak dispensers?  >:D Seen far too many 80's & 90's capacitors ozzing & corroding stuff from them (even NOS), to put me off buying from them.  :--

Might be, and the colour indeed suggests it -- I'm not at home right now, instead spending quality evening time at the hospital with youngest one who's probably got a broken pinky toe. I think I've saved them in my sad caps bag, so I'll check if I remember.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105733 on: October 28, 2021, 08:12:50 pm »
Well, fuck. That's disappointing. Turns out the crispy is just a SMD fuse, and after checking the main charge FETs and most of the semis in that region and finding no shorts, I started testing with a 1KΩ resistor in place of fuse FB1 in the (-) charger port bus. I also found no faults then either, and the charge circuit was starting to turn on. So then I tried with 1/10W, then 1W, then 25W dim-bulb tester... and it appears the only failure was in fact crispy FB1.  :o

I suspect      WRT that pigtail I scabbed in there to monitor the battery voltage; probably a stray strand I didn't catch when I was taping things off with ruban adhésif d'électricien.   

I am currently abusing a 1R0 1206 resistor in its place to the tune of ~1.3W while I scour scrap boards for a suitable ~1.5A fuse  (based on charger specifications and its mate in the (+) rail) or even a similarly sized Polyfuse to use as replacement; Roomba is charging away happily and no longer throwing the dread ERROR 5 after a few minutes. Sure that 1R0 sizzles a little if I touch it,   >:D   but still charging and batt voltage still climbing as expected.

mnem
*tzzzzzzt*
Wow that really is a bad case of penis fingers  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105734 on: October 28, 2021, 08:12:57 pm »
Still no building permit. FFS. mortgage rates have already climbed, which is gonna cost me 3.5kPesos.
Hubby got into the CPU again.
Have a bloody headache.
Eff my life.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #105735 on: October 28, 2021, 08:14:13 pm »
Todays collection was the other 5245L with the time interval plugin. With rack mount ears but missing the feet.

As you can see it is freshly calibrated by -hp- only 20 years ago! It got a temporary place on my NFM.

Progress with the first 5245L: Replaced all neon bulbs. What a mess. All copper wires were corroded, most have them already were destroyed at one leg.

Put a magnet near those & you will soon find out why they fell off and that they are only plated with copper.

David

Yes, of courses. The new ones have iron wires as well, they are tinned. Fortunately I have some of them.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105736 on: October 28, 2021, 08:20:44 pm »
   Forgive me Odin for I have sinned.

This is no Keto conforming food.   This is the absolutely best fishnchips I can get in a 50 km radius. To'n Fischhus in Hooksiel, outer harbor...   if you ever come to the Schlicktown area, this is a must have.
   ooooooohhhhh... wouldja just lookit all those loverly carbubbba-bubbba-bubbbbblll-hydrapes...

*looks around for a drool rag then goes and judders in the corner*

mnem
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 08:22:23 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105737 on: October 28, 2021, 08:23:18 pm »
If anyone wants to offer my very sore throat, a good home, it's yours FOC, it's driving me Fecking crazy, it is the third day that I've had it, but hopefully, as it got so bad today, that might mean it will better tomorrow? Things do generally get worse as they begin the healing process. No other symptoms except a slight cough and to night I feel so cold. I don't have a fever, headache or any muscular aches and pains, just this stabbing pain every time I swallow, bastard thing  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105738 on: October 28, 2021, 08:28:18 pm »
Well, fuck. That's disappointing. Turns out the crispy is just a SMD fuse, and after checking the main charge FETs and most of the semis in that region and finding no shorts, I started testing with a 1KΩ resistor in place of fuse FB1 in the (-) charger port bus. I also found no faults then either, and the charge circuit was starting to turn on. So then I tried with 1/10W, then 1W, then 25W dim-bulb tester... and it appears the only failure was in fact crispy FB1.  :o

I suspect      WRT that pigtail I scabbed in there to monitor the battery voltage; probably a stray strand I didn't catch when I was taping things off with ruban adhésif d'électricien.   

I am currently abusing a 1R0 1206 resistor in its place to the tune of ~1.3W while I scour scrap boards for a suitable ~1.5A fuse  (based on charger specifications and its mate in the (+) rail) or even a similarly sized Polyfuse to use as replacement; Roomba is charging away happily and no longer throwing the dread ERROR 5 after a few minutes. Sure that 1R0 sizzles a little if I touch it,   >:D   but still charging and batt voltage still climbing as expected.

mnem
*tzzzzzzt*
Wow that really is a bad case of penis fingers  :-DD :-DD :-DD
654k @ 2% worth.  >:D

mnem
 :-/O

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #105739 on: October 28, 2021, 08:41:04 pm »
If anyone wants to offer my very sore throat, a good home, it's yours FOC, it's driving me Fecking crazy, it is the third day that I've had it, but hopefully, as it got so bad today, that might mean it will better tomorrow? Things do generally get worse as they begin the healing process. No other symptoms except a slight cough and to night I feel so cold. I don't have a fever, headache or any muscular aches and pains, just this stabbing pain every time I swallow, bastard thing  >:D
Go get a CV test. While out get some medicines plus stuff Grandma would use...honey, lemons etc.
GWS.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105740 on: October 28, 2021, 08:53:00 pm »
uggghhh... If you're not actually sick, (you have had a CV test, right...?) could be post-nasal drip causing it from some airborne irritant. The sore throat is a natural response to the irritant/post-nasal drip; I used to suffer every spring and fall during the windy season. It brought this silty dust in off the plains that just clogged me up something fierce. :--

If so, a few doses of pseudoephedrine (decongestant) usually work wonders; it dries up the sinuses and the post-nasal drip and the "gargling razor blades" goes away usually in the same day.

Do not get the "Sudafed PE" (it is worthless Phenylephrine that doesn't do jack-shit) or any antihistamine unless you need that as well; they do not do the same thing. If a full 60mg tablet dries your sinuses out and gives you a headache, they break in half easily and once you've got the first full dose or two in you a half a tab every 3-4 hours usually keeps it under control.

It appears they are trying to take the time-release variety off the market (at least over here) due to being the highest dosage of pseudoephedrine per tab that fuckwits can distill into meth; not sure aboot the other side of the pond. :-//

Good luck!

mnem
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 09:00:19 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105741 on: October 28, 2021, 08:57:57 pm »

Nope Tiptronic was for Porsches IIRC... ad was for a BMW.

Answer has already been given 2 pages ago by langlv , "Steptronic" in BMW land, it is :

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3775988/#msg3775988

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #105742 on: October 28, 2021, 09:18:11 pm »
Eff my life.

My daughter says that quite often, usually with good reason.

I try to console her by pointing out the Buddhist concept of dukkha https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zj4g4qt/revision/3

Even though we are both militant agnostics, that does seem a rational starting point.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105743 on: October 28, 2021, 09:22:13 pm »
Go get a CV test. While out get some medicines plus stuff Grandma would use...honey, lemons etc.
GWS.

Seconded.

While you are at it, add paracetamol and whisky/vodka/etc. Sometimes stupefaction is the best course of action.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105744 on: October 28, 2021, 09:24:52 pm »
GWS.
I seriously doubt it is CV, I always wear a face mask, don't go out socialising, or gather in groups. I only go out to do the family shopping, with a face mask on. Plus, of course, I don't have any of the normal associated symptoms that others have. In fact December will see my late Father in Laws, normal annual birthday remembrance dinner and this year, once again, I have already declined to attend as it is still far from safe out there, and I fully expect that before the date comes around, the UK will be back in lockdown again as the cases and deaths are once again racking and most of Europe already has placed us on the red list  :palm:

Edit, I also sometimes go out with my Son and our cameras to snap photos of planes at airfields, but that is out in the open and well away from others.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 12:03:31 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105745 on: October 28, 2021, 09:31:43 pm »
GWS.

Seconded.

While you are at it, add paracetamol and whisky/vodka/etc. Sometimes stupefaction is the best course of action.
Yeah, I had myself a lovely steaming hot mug of coffee, plenty of sugar and well laced with whiskey last night before going to bed, and I'll do the same tonight. Can't risk doing that during the day in case I have to dash out shopping because SWMBO needs something I forgot, to make dinner etc, I never drink and drive, and as I'm the only person who can drive, then that's my job.
Who let Murphy in?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105746 on: October 28, 2021, 09:48:23 pm »
dunno. planning a trip to Antioch to retrieve the holy handgrenade ...   1, 2, 5. no, 3 !

mnem
*splooortch!*

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #105747 on: October 28, 2021, 10:01:34 pm »
GWS.
I seriously doubt it is CV, I always wear a face mask, don't go out socialising, or gather in groups. I only go out to do the family shopping, with a face mask on. Plus, of course, I don't have any of the normal associated symptoms that others have. In fact December will see my late Father in Laws, normal annual birthday remembrance meal and this year, once again, I have already declined to attend as it is still far from safe out there, and I fully expect that before the date comes around, the UK will back in lockdown again as the cases and deaths are once again racking and most of Europe already has placed us on the red list  :palm:

Edit, I also sometimes go out with my Son and our cameras to snap photos of planes at airfields, but that is out in the open and well away from others.
You might and might also be proven wrong. Don't be stubborn and just get one and in the meantime give all others including family a wide berth.
We gotta learn to live with this shit and despite being double jabbed know only to well it will find us sooner or later when we'll go hermit for a while to protect others best we can.
Forget all the BS and propaganda in the media and prepare your own plan to get through it best you can and limit passing it on......just like any sickness you wouldn't want others to have.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #105748 on: October 28, 2021, 10:24:27 pm »
Cng is cow farts at 200 bar. LPG is liquified propane/butane . Vol o offered both version the energy density of cow farts is considerably higher than LPG

Ah OK thanks for the details, didn't know you could have different kind of gases in these cars. Here at the pumps we have LPG, so according to Google, a mix of butane and propane, mostly, as you said. So cow gas is more energetic then ? That's cool... I mean they all say how cow farts is tremendously more dangerous for the ozone layer than CO2 emissions... so let's make use of it to power cars rather letting it blow a hole in the ozone layer !  ;D
It's the usual media (over-)simplification with methane from cows - yes they always produce methane, yes methane is a more powerfull "greenhouse effect gas" than CO2 but a cow on a pasture feeding naturally has low emissions. A "high octane" milk cow that lives inside, gets fed much soy protein and other stuff to pump out 13000L milk a year - now that one has worrysome amounts of methane emission (and, TBH lives a shitty live IMHO). It does allow to fuel a biogas reactor from it's manure alone, that can be readily collected in such an environment - so it is exploited to the end, in a way...
Why imply CNG is a agricultural byproduct when it's not !  :bullshit:
As CNG's last 2 letters implies it's a natural gas from the bowels of the earth and a byproduct of oil wells and in many cases targeted from natural gas fields then compressed to provide better density and therefore greater range when used for ICE fuel. In low pressure form it's domestic and industrial fuel used for all manner of generally heating requirements.

Here I register my offence in CNG being associated with agricultural emissions !  :bullshit:  :horse:

OK I am lost now, was this CNG a joke of Saskia I didn't get, and it's just another name for the LPG/GPL stuff we have in France...

Sorry Saskia, I guess I was not 100% today....  :-//

CNG in Oz is stuff that comes out of the ground, is compressed, & used as fuel for industrial processes, home cooking, & electricity generators, as well as city buses.

Western Australia had the foresight to reserve a reasonable proportion of the CNG produced in the State for local use.
The other States "went ape" about the export earnings & sold most of theirs overseas, now being in the embarrassing position of having to "buy it bacK!"

Of course, CNG is a fossil fuel, & is not sustainable in the long term, but it is a lot more environmentally friendly than Coal, which quite a bit of East coast power generation relies upon.

The WA gas is from "deep wells" offshore, & doesn't use "fracking".
Surely CNG is sustainable, as long as there are people and animals about pooping and dumping rubbish in landfill sites and then covering them over with soil. Correct me if I'm wrong but CNG (cow farts etc) is just natural methane isn't it?
The "natural" in CNG usually means "nature put it into the ground for us". Most biogas and sewage treatment "digestion tower" produced methane is used on-site in big ICE to produce heat and electrical energy. Not sure about landfill methane - I guess it's even less in volume so I'd guess it's just burned? The gas treatment (filter, dry, ...) and pumps needed to put it into the CNG network are not cost effective for small producers like farms and sewage treatment facilitys - plus both consume enough electricity and heat to find making these from their "waste" attractive (as it keeps cost down).

Interesting topic.  I am not sure there is real progress in this area.  I did a search for somewhat local examples, but most of the websites were political or had gains to be made from marketing wank.
My memory said there was an example of landfill gas being used by a greenhouse intentionally situated as a neighbour to the landfill.  It gets cold in winter here in the GWN; growing fresh produce involves large consumption of energy.  No luck finding a news source about it.
The best I could find is this, which is probably more local to CPS 25 than to me:
https://www.tvo.org/article/ontarios-got-biogas-and-theres-plenty-more-where-it-came-from
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 10:26:49 pm by cyclin_al »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105749 on: October 28, 2021, 10:32:36 pm »
GWS.

Seconded.

Yeah, I had myself a lovely steaming hot mug of coffee, plenty of sugar and well laced with whiskey last night before going to bed, and I'll do the same tonight. Can't risk doing that during the day in case I have to dash out shopping because SWMBO needs something I forgot, to make dinner etc, I never drink and drive, and as I'm the only person who can drive, then that's my job.

Coffee before bed is counter-intuitive!

When feeling grotty I do my utmost not to go out - for my sake and for others' sake.

For covid, the best description of masks' effectiveness appears to be

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bitseeker, Specmaster, beanflying, cyclin_al, srb1954

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf