Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14963380 times)

TSCOLAN, Vince and 231 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #106575 on: November 09, 2021, 09:21:03 pm »
And I'm fed up of seeing this murdered hp TE, month after month, even that has missing parts.  :--

Tee hee:

https://www2.ppauctions.com/lot/161599/lot-351

I have a few looking like that squirreled away in my TEA closet. But it's all for a good cause. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #106576 on: November 09, 2021, 10:40:44 pm »
And I'm fed up of seeing this murdered hp TE, month after month, even that has missing parts.  :--

Tee hee:

https://www2.ppauctions.com/lot/161599/lot-351

I have a few looking like that squirreled away in my TEA closet. But it's all for a good cause.
Lamp bases ?  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106577 on: November 09, 2021, 11:21:53 pm »

Naa, proctology instruments for heretics and back-sliders.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106578 on: November 09, 2021, 11:50:22 pm »

Naa, proctology instruments for heretics and back-sliders.

Don't forget the ropes.
They are important!
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #106579 on: November 10, 2021, 01:06:37 am »

And that leads us to the bench: This 27A/N Kit came with a undisclosed accessory: my very own TekSysyphos mug courtesy cyclin_al.

Thank you Alan; it was great to visit, and I definitely need to step up my game next meetup. My little token gifts don't hold a candle to this.  :-+

Okay... so I got to fondle my 27 a bit more last night; found that there were a few little bits of gummy stuffs (probably rubber bands from the Jurassic or marshmallowy crumbs from the battery foam) on the cables, and the regular probes had "sweated out" some of their precious essence so felt a bit greasy. A wipedown with alcohol resolved all of the above; then when I went to install a 9V battery, I found this bit of gummy foam which I evicted with extreme prejudice. I have some strips of adhesive-backed foam stuck to the lid of some parts container; when it surfaces I'll put a bit in here.

Here it is next to its younger brother; for all the bigger display, the digits are actually almost the same exact size. Side by side they appear comparable, but the 27 is much deeper. The switch is nice in that it has 2 OFF positions so you can leave it how you like depending on how you use it most; but the switch detents aren't as smooth or precise feeling as the 189. We'll see how they feel once they break in a bit.

I didn't realize until I tried these NOS probes how much I hate the feel of Pliovic leads anymore; even my cheap Chinese probes are all silicone now. The probes that come with the 27  are shrouded, but the sockets are just a bit smaller and most of my extra probes don't fit; I may actually have to splurge on some Fluke or Pomonas in silicone.

The case these came in is obviously not made for this kit; the molded bits fit something else entirely and the Probulators are haphazardly stuffed in there because they just don't fit. After poking around a bit, I realized that If I used my soldering iron and made a hole for the probe tip in each of these locations...

...it would allow everything in the kit to be stacked nice and tidy like so, and the foam bits against the lid actually keeps them from rattling around loose without putting any pressure on the nibs.

Not exactly a "bespoke solution"... but still Winner, winner chicken dinner!

mnem
Up next: the 27 gets used in anger for the first time! >:D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 07:31:36 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, duckduck

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #106580 on: November 10, 2021, 06:42:37 am »
enjoy.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #106581 on: November 10, 2021, 07:28:36 am »
..then when I went to install a 9V battery, I found this bit of gummy foam which I evicted with extreme prejudice.

Up next: the 27 gets used in anger for the first time!

I also found the same "foamy goo" (yes, that is a Zappa reference, of course. "Cosmik Debris")  in my meter. I've found that it does Real Mains Voltage pretty well. And it's really good at small DC currents. And, of course, it does Ohms like a champ.  Very happy. If I can bang my Macaroni VTVM together tonight,  I think it's time for the 5440 to get a new cap instead of the allegegdly shorted tant. Then I need The Probulator.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106582 on: November 10, 2021, 10:26:27 am »
(yes, that is a Zappa reference, of course.

Who you jive'n with that cosmic debris?

https://youtu.be/ZbDbF1DONVE

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106583 on: November 10, 2021, 11:50:11 am »
"I can take about an hour on the tower of power, as long as I gets a little..."

Oh, sorry was I singing? I don't even notice I'm doing it half the time. "What was I going to say?"?. Oh, yes:

My little package from Digikey turned up bang on time today. Looks like UPS have got their act back together too.

I got a surprise when I checked the contents. A while back I bought some STM32F411s from Digikey (some of the last in the world at the time) and they came with all the full humidity control - silica gel, little indicator card, heat sealed package and all that. Today's haul was some Lattice iCE40 FPGAs, in the same IC package as the F411s - 48 pin thin QFN. But the Lattice chips didn't have any of the humidity control palaver. So, I double checked - Lattice have their QFN48 package down as MSL 1 (unlimited exposure before soldering, no palaver required), the STM32 QFN48 package is MSL 3 (168 hours exposure before soldering, palaver is required). Physically the two packages appear identical.

So am I left wondering if ST are just more cautious than Lattice, or if Lattice are caviller and 'devil may care', or if Lattice have access to, or are prepared to pay for, better packaging technology than ST. Anybody got any opinions as to which it is?

I know that for some of our more traditionally inclined participants 'moisture sensitivity' infers to "How much beer can I spill on it before the B rail shorts?" so I'm not expecting any replies from that quarter.  :)

From my point of view it would be nice if ST are just overcautious and I can be a bit more relaxed about handling their QFNs, but I'm not going to rely on that and I'm going to keep up with the whole humidity control thing with their chips.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #106584 on: November 10, 2021, 12:21:05 pm »
Amazing!!..
Found on ebay a Keithley224 CurrentSource to compliment my just found Keithley230 Voltage Source.
Ebay seller from Canada, friendly guy sends it by UPS.. it is here within 3 days!!  :-+ :-+
note to self...CHANGE 110 Volts to 230 before testing it...

[edit] it arrived ...woohoo
 :) :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 02:18:12 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, duckduck

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106585 on: November 10, 2021, 01:53:26 pm »
The seller of this told me on Sunday he would have pictures of the interior on Monday.

It's now Tuesday.  ::)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324825230533?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=ba3b19dd0ad541c6928a8d86d439de82&bu=44447527752&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20211107173937&segname=11051&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Today is Wednesday. Guess what? Still no pictures. I shall now consider my request on Sunday as a "go piss up a rope" from this seller and resume my cruising of Ebay.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106586 on: November 10, 2021, 02:22:02 pm »
One day I'll buy a 34401A and will replace the LM399 with an ADR1399KHZ  ;D 8)
They are available at analog.com for 12.28 Dollars per piece (one has to order at least 18 pieces).

Now that you have that international VAT, wouldn't it be a shame to let it go to waste?
I'd guess if you post a thread in the Metrology section á la "I'll order 18 and look for 3 people to take 4,4,5 each in europe"
You might find a few kindred souls there... Please tell if you do, I'd take one 4pcs lot please  >:D

I was asked also, if I would spare one of the ADR1000AHZ.
Well, I would, but ...
I got the ADR1000AHZ via FedEx. The five ADR1000AHZ cost around 310 Dollar, shipment via FedEx 25 Dollar.
I got the parcel with the ADR1000AHZ but no invoice from FedEx about import duties or VAT.
Sent today an enquiry to FedEx about this invoice and I'm waiting now for an answer.
As soon as it is clear what's going on, I'll consider organising a group buy for the ADR1000AHZ and ADR1399KHZ.

But, to be honest, I'll refuse to buy at one time 80 ADR1000AHZ, that is way too much money for me spending at one time.

We'll see ...

Got today an answer from FedEx:
"Leider liegt uns keine Zollrechnung vor, bzw. können wir nicht sagen, ob Ihnen die Zollkosten berechnet werden.

Der Versender hatte die Sendung über unseren Service "International Priority Direct Distribution" versandt, bei der mehrere Sendungen gesammelt und zusammen bei Ankunft in der EU verzollt werden.

Bitte wenden Sie sich diesbezüglich an den Versender."

Translation via DeepL:
"Unfortunately, we do not have a customs invoice or we cannot say whether you will be charged customs duties.

The sender had sent the shipment via our "International Priority Direct Distribution" service, where several shipments are collected and cleared together upon arrival in the EU.

Please contact the sender about this."

I've contacted in parallel AD and this is their response:

"Dear Customer,

You can find your invoices via our buy online portal and print them.
Please click on SUPPORT and then VIEW/PRINT INVOICE.

Regards,
Analog Devices Customer Service"

To me this sounds like everything has been cleared and there will not be any surprise invoice showing up.
It looks like AD has covered all the customs fees etc. by themselves.

What do you think?
Attached a screenshot of the total amount of the invoice from AD.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 02:50:04 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #106587 on: November 10, 2021, 03:20:31 pm »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106588 on: November 10, 2021, 03:35:36 pm »
@mnementh
Nice job, I measured the digit size of my 27 v 85 and the 27 is 1mm larger in their size. Those on the 85 are slightly leaning to the right and those on the 27 are perfectly upright. The switch intends on the 27 are really positive and click into place with a nice satisfying click.

I notice that both of mine carry a MSHA sticker on the back that suggests these are rated for use in hazardous areas for use with Methane and Air mixtures? And also, only when in resistance mode :-//

Do I also take it that the meter is only approved in such conditions when using the specified NEDA 1604 battery or with any equivalent battery, which over here would be a PP3, not that I'm planning to use it in that fashion  8)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106589 on: November 10, 2021, 03:45:18 pm »
Sparkys present here?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1080020/Electrician_Simulator/

:wtf:  :-DD  :-DD   :-//
You called sir? May I have details of your issue and address?  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106590 on: November 10, 2021, 04:24:58 pm »
Sparkys present here?

An accurate "electrician simulator" wouldn't do anything until its second or third cup of tea.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, srb1954

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #106591 on: November 10, 2021, 04:25:26 pm »
The seller of this told me on Sunday he would have pictures of the interior on Monday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324825230533?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=ba3b19dd0ad541c6928a8d86d439de82&bu=44447527752&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20211107173937&segname=11051&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

Today is Wednesday. Guess what? Still no pictures. I shall now consider my request on Sunday as a "go piss up a rope" from this seller and resume my cruising of Ebay.  ::)

In reference to Frankie a few posts further up, would that not be: ram it, ram it, ram it up your poop chute ?

asking fer a friend ...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #106592 on: November 10, 2021, 04:32:51 pm »

In reference to Frankie a few posts further up, would that not be: ram it, ram it, ram it up your poop chute ?

asking fer a friend ...

No, that would be akin to "ram it up your arse (ass)" or "stick it where the sun don't shine". But they all boil down to "get lost"

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #106593 on: November 10, 2021, 04:50:24 pm »
Just expanded my VTVM collection. Grundig RV55 VTVM, by Hartmann & Braun. About 16€ plus shipping in Sweden.  Now I've got one UK, one German, and two US VTVM. There were a few attempts at a swedish VTVM, and of course there are Philips ones. Metrix must have done one too, no french electronician can measure with a foreign instrument! Anyone know?

Borrowed pic:

Manual has been located.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #106594 on: November 10, 2021, 05:24:42 pm »
"I can take about an hour on the tower of power, as long as I gets a little..."

Oh, sorry was I singing? I don't even notice I'm doing it half the time. "What was I going to say?"?. Oh, yes:

My little package from Digikey turned up bang on time today. Looks like UPS have got their act back together too.

I got a surprise when I checked the contents. A while back I bought some STM32F411s from Digikey (some of the last in the world at the time) and they came with all the full humidity control - silica gel, little indicator card, heat sealed package and all that. Today's haul was some Lattice iCE40 FPGAs, in the same IC package as the F411s - 48 pin thin QFN. But the Lattice chips didn't have any of the humidity control palaver. So, I double checked - Lattice have their QFN48 package down as MSL 1 (unlimited exposure before soldering, no palaver required), the STM32 QFN48 package is MSL 3 (168 hours exposure before soldering, palaver is required). Physically the two packages appear identical.

So am I left wondering if ST are just more cautious than Lattice, or if Lattice are caviller and 'devil may care', or if Lattice have access to, or are prepared to pay for, better packaging technology than ST. Anybody got any opinions as to which it is?

I know that for some of our more traditionally inclined participants 'moisture sensitivity' infers to "How much beer can I spill on it before the B rail shorts?" so I'm not expecting any replies from that quarter.  :)

From my point of view it would be nice if ST are just overcautious and I can be a bit more relaxed about handling their QFNs, but I'm not going to rely on that and I'm going to keep up with the whole humidity control thing with their chips.
Hmmm... any difference in the recommended soldering process between the two? Do either of them have a published recommended handling process for hand-soldering/proto work?

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106595 on: November 10, 2021, 05:42:10 pm »
Could be different resin / plastic in the same package.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106596 on: November 10, 2021, 05:43:49 pm »
Just expanded my VTVM collection. Grundig RV55 VTVM, by Hartmann & Braun. About 16€ plus shipping in Sweden.  Now I've got one UK, one German, and two US VTVM. There were a few attempts at a swedish VTVM, and of course there are Philips ones. Metrix must have done one too, no french electronician can measure with a foreign instrument! Anyone know?

Borrowed pic:

Manual has been located.
That Logo says Sennheiser to me, not Grunzig.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106597 on: November 10, 2021, 05:46:32 pm »
Sparkys present here?

I wonder whether one can do all the things not advisable in reality, like set houses on fire, electrocute customers, blow transformers up, etc.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106598 on: November 10, 2021, 05:56:46 pm »
Sparkys present here?

I wonder whether one can do all the things not advisable in reality, like set houses on fire, electrocute customers, blow transformers up, etc.
That would be a good game, revenge on non-paying customers  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, wolfy007

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106599 on: November 10, 2021, 06:04:55 pm »
That Logo says Sennheiser to me, not Grunzig.

Definitely Sennheiser. They also made a companion A-curve weighting filter, model OF2.

Metrix made several VTVM, among them the model 744. Further European makers of VTVM were Clamann & Grahnert and RFT in East Germany. And if you'd like something from Scandinavia, Brüll & Klirr made a few. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2021, 06:10:50 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf