Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15544394 times)

Peter_O and 51 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #107025 on: November 19, 2021, 06:37:50 am »
What you really are going to need soon is a nice polished wooden case, with green felt interior lining & underlying the felt, cutouts for all your sensors & other such devices.
Every good RF workshop used to have such cases, but now, although the devices are around in decent quantities, the cases are not.

Sorry for not having green and wooden, but you think of a case as in my photos? Agree!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 06:42:40 am by dl6lr »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107026 on: November 19, 2021, 07:44:53 am »
The remainders of an audiophil: https://www.ebay.de/itm/284524216689

Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #107027 on: November 19, 2021, 08:00:59 am »

@med's bits likely just burst again thinking of lifting it :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107029 on: November 19, 2021, 08:38:26 am »

Wow... seeing ONE Tek scope being parted for tubes for audiophools is painful enough, but this guy openly shows, brags, that he has a collection of 50 of these scopes for this sole purpose, does not give a crap about all these 50 Tek scopes, only good for tubes !  :rant: :wtf: :blah:

It's like seeing a Nazi gas camp, with people parked waiting for their "shower".... I don't know what feeling is most overwhelming in me right now... the sadness and feeling of waste.. or my lust for murder. I guess it's 50/50.

And 2100 Euros for 50 scopes is 45 per scope which is the base price for a COMPLETE scope (here at least, bar the occasional rip off), not a cadaver.. and it's only the starting price at that, it's an auction !  And he is selling the complete lot of 50 only, not one by one, and no shipping... so you would think it would be even much cheaper than a single scope that would be shipped. But no, he wants it both ways !
So murdering all these scopes was not enough, he is still trying to rip people off as well with the remains ! Money first hey !

I wish this guy a long and painful death..... may he get electrocuted when working on an audio amp that uses tubes from these scopes... may he not die instantly, but rather his heart stop, his wife discovering him in time to call the ambulance... then may he have heart surgery, painful, and die after 6 months after a painful failed recovery.

Some people should not be allowed to live....  :scared:

Oh yes, I know I am a bit extreme, but hey, I just woke up, this is the first thing I see while drinking my hot chocolate milk, so sorry you get what you get !  ;D

« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:05:19 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #107030 on: November 19, 2021, 08:42:54 am »
It is this guy, I think:
http://vintagetubeservices.com/

There are so many Indicators Of Wrong on that page...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #107031 on: November 19, 2021, 08:59:51 am »

Oh yes, I know I am a bit extreme,
Yeah, I kinda noticed.

but hey, I just woke up, this is the first thing I see while drinking my hot chocolate milk, so sorry you get what you get !  ;D
OK ... Now I understand.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107032 on: November 19, 2021, 09:11:21 am »
It is this guy, I think:
http://vintagetubeservices.com/

There are so many Indicators Of Wrong on that page...
Like boasting of the quality of your tube measurement setup by giving the weight of its panel meters and power supplys? :palm:
Or by referring that his "instruments are calibrated to the same National Institute of Standards (Test #910675) that the original manufacturers used"
Like, he got the vintage resistor standards and weston cells from way back at GE?  >:D
But I'm no proper audiofool, I can't even find a reference to whatever "National Institute of Standards (Test #910675)" might mean .  :scared:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #107033 on: November 19, 2021, 09:21:32 am »
But I'm no proper audiofool, I can't even find a reference to whatever "National Institute of Standards (Test #910675)" might mean .  :scared:

Marketinggeblubber....
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107035 on: November 19, 2021, 09:48:08 am »

Wow... seeing ONE Tek scope being parted for tubes for audiophools is painful enough, but this guy openly shows, brags, that he has a collection of 50 of these scopes for this sole purpose, does not give a crap about all these 50 Tek scopes, only good for tubes !  :rant: :wtf: :blah:

It's like seeing a Nazi gas camp, with people parked waiting for their "shower".... I don't know what feeling is most overwhelming in me right now... the sadness and feeling of waste.. or my lust for murder. I guess it's 50/50.

And 2100 Euros for 50 scopes is 45 per scope which is the base price for a COMPLETE scope (here at least, bar the occasional rip off), not a cadaver.. and it's only the starting price at that, it's an auction !  And he is selling the complete lot of 50 only, not one by one, and nos shipping... so you would think it would be even much cheaper than a single scope that would be shipped. But no, he wants it both ways !
So murdering all these scopes was not enough, he is still trying to rip people off as well with the remains ! Money first hey !

I wish this guy a long and painful death..... may he get electrocuted when working on an audio amp that uses tubes from these scopes... may he not die instantly, but rather his heart stop, his wife discovering him in time to call the ambulance... then may he have heart surgery, painful, and die after 6 months after a painful failed recovery.

Oh yes, I know I am a bit extreme, but hey, I just woke up, this is the first thing I see while drinking my hot chocolate milk, so sorry you get what you get !  ;D

Yes, totally agree with you, and the worst bit of it all is that this auction is only the first bit of it, there is more of his collection to come.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #107036 on: November 19, 2021, 10:14:59 am »
okay, let us build an onager to hurl those scavenged scopes at him so that they can still serve a purpose. Has anybody got a predator uplink that I can use ? Don't need it for long, just single shot ...

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #107037 on: November 19, 2021, 10:20:31 am »
Use "separates", and eschew "pre-packaged instruments".

All you need are a "decent" voltage source driving a "decent" KVD, plus a nice low-current moving coil meter. If you only want 3digit resolution, use 1m of resistance wire and a 1m steel rule instead of the KVD:)

And how pray am I to do that whenever a decent KVD crops up cheap somewhere you make off with it? Or if not you then I have Robert as a secondary suspect.  :)

Oh, stop whining and open your wallet  >:D
https://www.ppauctions.com/lot/161450/lot-202

Bastard!

Well, I've put bids on 9 items and been outbid on 7 - but not the KVD. Will someone please save me?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107038 on: November 19, 2021, 10:56:11 am »
Use "separates", and eschew "pre-packaged instruments".

All you need are a "decent" voltage source driving a "decent" KVD, plus a nice low-current moving coil meter. If you only want 3digit resolution, use 1m of resistance wire and a 1m steel rule instead of the KVD:)

And how pray am I to do that whenever a decent KVD crops up cheap somewhere you make off with it? Or if not you then I have Robert as a secondary suspect.  :)

Oh, stop whining and open your wallet  >:D
https://www.ppauctions.com/lot/161450/lot-202

Bastard!

Well, I've put bids on 9 items and been outbid on 7 - but not the KVD. Will someone please save me?
I'm watching this myself, but like a good buyer, I'm not showing my hand too early, its still got 7 days FFS, keep quiet and keep your powder dry. bidding early just drives the price up for everyone else  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107039 on: November 19, 2021, 11:15:26 am »
I'm watching this myself, but like a good buyer, I'm not showing my hand too early, its still got 7 days FFS, keep quiet and keep your powder dry. bidding early just drives the price up for everyone else  :palm:

The bids I've placed have no relationship to the amount I'm willing to pay, so in that sense I'm not showing my hand.

I won't actually know the price I'm willing to pay until during bidding. I have to factor in collection costs, so if I've failed to get early items, then I won't pay as much for one later item. OTOH, if I'm going up anyway, then I will bid more readily on later "might as well have" items to amortise the travel costs.

I don't see any way in which comments at this stage in the process will drive up the selling price. The only way that might happen is if somebody doesn't know about the auction, but that isn't the case here.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107040 on: November 19, 2021, 11:17:55 am »
I've signed up for PP Auctions.   

I won't be bidding on the KVD.  I'm happy to let it go to another home.   

Many others on my watch list.

200 miles each way.    Hopefully I won't "win" anything.

< AAAARGH >   I wish I'd never seen this.   

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107041 on: November 19, 2021, 11:19:57 am »
The only way that might happen is if somebody doesn't know about the auction, but that isn't the case here.

That would be me.    Distance + time = very high cost of collection.  I'm unlikely to bid anything remotely close to market value.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107042 on: November 19, 2021, 11:34:58 am »
The only way that might happen is if somebody doesn't know about the auction, but that isn't the case here.

That would be me.    Distance + time = very high cost of collection.  I'm unlikely to bid anything remotely close to market value.

I'm "only" 170 miles away, and I don't enjoy driving for its own sake. Hence I factor in the cost of collection at 12p/mile if I really want something, and 25p/mile if I don't, and 44p/mile if I'm trying to persuade myself not to bid at all.

My bids aren't related to market value, but to tgggzzz value. And that's a very fickle variable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107043 on: November 19, 2021, 12:20:57 pm »

The bids I've placed have no relationship to the amount I'm willing to pay, so in that sense I'm not showing my hand.

I won't actually know the price I'm willing to pay until during bidding. I have to factor in collection costs, so if I've failed to get early items, then I won't pay as much for one later item. OTOH, if I'm going up anyway, then I will bid more readily on later "might as well have" items to amortise the travel costs.

I don't see any way in which comments at this stage in the process will drive up the selling price. The only way that might happen is if somebody doesn't know about the auction, but that isn't the case here.
Yep, the distance is a real factor, plus of course the buyer's premium and the dreaded VAT, both of which are not an insignificant amount at 15.5% of the final value of the auction then plus 20% VAT on that  total. Those 3 factors alone really concentrate the mind and is why it is so important not to get carried away in the final bidding frenzy, factor them in from an early-stage and then set a maximum bid and sit on your hands for the outcome. These sales are not like eBay where, unless buying outside the UK, the extra to be factored in is the delivery which is normally a known value.

Edit, its a 200 miles round trip for me with a total journey time of approx 5 hours, I've done it before but I'd rather not have to do it again  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 12:26:33 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107044 on: November 19, 2021, 12:29:21 pm »

Don't forget the buyers 15.5% fees to P&P plus the VAT (20% on top) so the price needs to be way below market value, plus your time and fuel to collect.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #107045 on: November 19, 2021, 12:55:49 pm »
also add the CBA-factor, your time (your life time is the only hard limited resource), the nuisance factor ...

In other news I received the keys to the new home and I am busy packing up my old life.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #107046 on: November 19, 2021, 01:43:05 pm »

And 2100 Euros for 50 scopes is 45 per scope which is the base price for a COMPLETE scope (here at least, bar the occasional rip off), not a cadaver.. and it's only the starting price at that, it's an auction !  And he is selling the complete lot of 50 only, not one by one, and no shipping... so you would think it would be even much cheaper than a single scope that would be shipped. But no, he wants it both ways !

While I do generally try to preach moderation in all things (including moderation  ;)), in this case I'll suggest that you are being far too generous.

I say 40000 lashes with a weeedeater and dump him in a barrel of chinchilla urine. With life support to prolong the agony as much as possible.

mnem
*currently eating the brown bag breakfast from Quality Inn*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107047 on: November 19, 2021, 01:52:01 pm »

Oh yes, I know I am a bit extreme,
Yeah, I kinda noticed.

but hey, I just woke up, this is the first thing I see while drinking my hot chocolate milk, so sorry you get what you get !  ;D
OK ... Now I understand.
Yeah, now we know why.... That hot chocolate milk for breakfast explains soooo much.  :-DD

SUGARRRRRRRRR!!!!!   

mnem
*tweaking the Vince's tail just a little bit*  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107048 on: November 19, 2021, 01:57:04 pm »
No.  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #107049 on: November 19, 2021, 02:10:31 pm »
also add the CBA-factor, your time (your life time is the only hard limited resource), the nuisance factor ...

In other news I received the keys to the new home and I am busy packing up my old life.

All the best for you, hubby, your daughter and your new home.

Btw, a friend of mine has sent me this a few days ago:

Q: Do you know, why at IKEA there are arrows on the floor?

A: Because it is a "Einrichtungshaus".

:-DD  ;D

(sorry for the english folks who didn't get it)   ;)

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, Andrew_Debbie, Saskia, Neper

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf