Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14914914 times)

MF-jockey, RolandK and 265 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #107900 on: November 28, 2021, 05:19:00 pm »
So professional; not scribbled on the corner of a napkin nor nuthin' !  :-DD

Even better would be to have an entire working application, e.g. this is a functional IntelliJ IDE skinned with http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I should've known somebody would make a app for that...  :-DD

mnem
t'were inevitable, actually... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #107901 on: November 28, 2021, 05:21:13 pm »
Anyone in Germany have some spare cash to spend?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353785283417

96 euros shipping within Germany. Delivery by silver platter? Magic carpet?

I could in theory pick them up. I do not have any use for them though ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107902 on: November 28, 2021, 05:26:31 pm »
Well, there are 2 of them... but at US$230 + US$470 shipping to me... not even if they included the counter, IMO. ::)

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107903 on: November 28, 2021, 05:35:52 pm »
ICs? Who needs ICs for digital logic?

The divide-by-10 circuits in the 1965 Tek 184 use only 3 transistors. How do they do that? Having debugged mine, that's a rhetorical question!

Now I know TOO !  ;D

What a coincidence/timing, look what me just got !
Some old junk to please Tautech !  :-DD

An old Nixie counter, and no IC in there either, here too they used discrete trannies everywhere to do all the counting decoding or anything really.

Lucky me, for a change I was able to find a service manual. A rare occurrence for all these old French instrumentation companies. A nice manual at that, 20+ pages, in good resolution, with all the info you would want. So I attached the schematic for the decade boards/Nixie drivers, just because I love you. 5 identical boards of course, because 5 Nixies in this thing. First / fastest two decade boards have an identical design and layout as the 3 slower ones, all they did was use different transistor models.

As we can see there are 18 transistors on each decade board. 8 transistors was enough for them to implement the 4 bit counter. A pair of 2 transistors for each bit.
Then for the BCD decoding and driving of the Nixie, it's combined apparently, they use only one transistor per digit, so 10 transistors.

Note how funky looking the transistor symbol is, never seen them drawn like this before !  :o

Anyway this one popped up here right after I bought that tiny Minitron counter, I don't choose timing, things pop up when they do...  just so happens to have two nice things in a row... probably means I won't see anything worthwhile for a year now !  :-//

So, it's an old Nixie counter, from 1965, made by " Rochar " , short lived small French company (quickly bought and killed by Schlumberger, like they did with ADRET and Enertec and god knows who else).

5 digits, good for 2.2MHz it says in the manual, can't even test that, my old sig gen only goes to 1MHz !  :-//

It's a full featured counter, a universal counter, not a basic minimalist frequency counter like the Minitron I just bought.
Heavy and oozes build quality when you look at it and play with it. Thick aluminium face plate, engraved. Weighs a lot more than its looks might suggest. 6+ kg IIRC.
Counter is in tip top shape ! Excellent cosmetic condition inside out, no rust and barely a speck of dust inside.
Bright work in good shape except as usual for the old silver plated BNC connectors of that era... silver tarnished nothing you can do about it... so will need replacing with more modern BNC.
All Nixies work perfectly, very bright and even brightness.
Did a quick basic check, just measuring frequency, did not try all the other features, will see later.
--> it works ! All those Nixies come to life and dance around to show me something.... though not quite what I expected...displayed frequency is, looks like, half of what it should be ! No worries.. decades boards are fine, must just be a failed frequency divider in the time base circuitry.... with 150 Germanium trannies in there, that's a lot of potential tin whiskers !!!  :-DD
It's a miracle this counter can work at all really... I am not complaining.

Anyway, I had to tear it down right from the start because it uses a weird obsolete power socket, so I tried to get inside to solder a cable somewhere, just temporarily, to test it. No joy. spent half an hour taking it apart, removing bits and pieces of the chassis, a decade board, all the nixies and the bezel that keeps them aligned, a  big bracket/gusset... only to realize that would only get me so far... but not far enough to solder a cable. So gave up and put it all back together again.

Well, at least it let me see how the thing is put together, check for its internal condition, and take pics for you, and for my archives.
So next time I get in there, I will know what awaits me.

Then when putting the face plate back on, one of the screws refused to "bite"... so left it out. No way I was going through the chore of taking this all apart and back again (it's a major PITA).. again, just to see what was wrong with that screw. They are tiny Philips head screws that suck big time. Most are in bad shape and even when in good shape it's all too easy to damage them, you have to apply so much force and pray so much that you won't damage the heads and that the screw will be kind enough to come loose... no. I hate these screws ! So I don't care for this "missing" screw as I think I will replace all of them with new screws with a different head style. I don't know, BTR maybe.

As for the power socket, it is long obsolete, I am 44 and it's the first time I see one like that. Old man said it was used for power hungry domestic appliances.. in the '60s. I was born in 77... yes I am just a kiddy sorry.
Don't want to spend a year, money and time getting (if at all possible...) the matching obsolete power cord... and don't want to have X bits of kit each requiring their own weird cord so... will be retrofitting a standard IEC socket. This is quite an undertaking.. will have to take this thing apart again, remove all the bits I already removed.. and 3 times more so I can actually work on this thing to fit the new socket.  But well, no choice... otherwise I can't use this thing, and I DO want to use it, I am in love already. Might not show in pictures but it's such a cool looking piece in the flesh.

What's more ? When I got it... the amber colour filter in front of the Nixie tubes... had fallen off ! It appears it was held in place merely by some strips of foam all around the edges of the filter, pushing/pressing the filter onto the back side of the face plate... that's it ! Of course with time the foam as always, disintegrated completely so the filter was completely loose inside the cabinet... You can see the remains of that foam on the pictures... that disgusting looking brown-ish stuff...

This is now fixed already ! By some miracle I happened to have some foamy rubbery sticky "tape", of an appropriate thickness, 2mm or something I don't know, lucky me ! Cut some strips to size, got rid of the old foam, sticked the new foam into place... problem solved !
Being rubbery as well as foamy, it will give a grip on the filter, on its own, on top of the basic pushing-against-the-face-plate action, so should be good !  8)

Anyway, so to sum it up, a pristine and lovely bit of kit I am delighted to have !  :D with the following to do when it's turn comes :

- Replace all the crappy philips screws holding the face plate, with a less rage producing screw type.
- Fit an IEC socket
- Troubleshoot and hopefully fix the time base issue so it can display the actual input frequency, rather than just half of it...
- Might add a web server with logging and remote control capabilities, to please Tautech ?

Attaching a few piccies...

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 05:43:17 pm by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107904 on: November 28, 2021, 05:37:58 pm »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Specmaster, factory, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #107905 on: November 28, 2021, 05:48:54 pm »

Even better would be to have an entire working application, e.g. this is a functional IntelliJ IDE skinned with http://napkinlaf.sourceforge.net/

It is neither an app nor an application. It is a "Look And Feel" skin that can be used with any compatible GUI. It was developed to give customers A Big Clue that, while it worked enough for the customer to validate their concept, there was no real functionality behind it.

But that doesn't stop somebody from adding a command line argument and using it to skin an IDE which normally looks like this

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #107906 on: November 28, 2021, 05:57:52 pm »

Seems the "no power supply for it" as they call it is due to the old Bulgin mains connector, I'm guessing the power lead was either missing, or the seller decided it looked unsafe.  :-//
Even the RS catalog from 1984 states certain types of both sizes of Bulgin connector, with the cover that can be removed without tools, are only rated for 50V unless inaccessible.  >:D
If only those sellers on ePay knew this, selling those connectors at silly prices for old amps and other equipment.  :palm:

David

Mouser and RS still stock the cable connector; it's called PX0631. Still lots of dire warnings about it being a piece of shit connector on the catalog pages.  :-DD

I know, because I bought one for my Solartron DVM.

A sensible price is about €4 plus VAT. Anything above that is extortion.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107907 on: November 28, 2021, 06:19:13 pm »

It is neither an app nor an application. It is a "Look And Feel" skin that can be used with any compatible GUI. It was developed to give customers A Big Clue that, while it worked enough for the customer to validate their concept, there was no real functionality behind it.

But that doesn't stop somebody from adding a command line argument and using it to skin an IDE which normally looks like this   
Okay, okay... yes, I know what NetBeans is... no offense intended. :-[

I was just taking the piss; lumping it in together with all those frivolous wallpapers/skins/lockscreen-type things that often do come bundled as a app and the whole "Of course, dere's a app for dat!" phenomenon.  :P

mnem
"awww, dammit... now you got me so distracted I done peed on my feet..."   

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107908 on: November 28, 2021, 06:20:22 pm »
Round 2. Deoxit is a wonder chemical.  ;D Was able to get to the attenuator deck. Now totally stable. And DC balance more stable but still needs adjustment. Going to let it warm up for about an hour. Compensation is excellent. No adjustments required.

Trace is differential between a square and sine.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, mansaxel, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #107909 on: November 28, 2021, 06:32:21 pm »

Tektronix  P/N 067-0589-00 7000 Series Plugin Extender & Cal Fixture

Oooooh... that is def gonna generate some interest if it is seen in the right circles. Plus those pics are good enuf that I feel a need to post them here for posterity as a future technical resource. :-+

mnem

eBay auction: #275035088122

10 more hours...  :scared:  :scared:  :scared:

It's too early for Christmas presents  ;D
The joy of vintage Tek never comes too early or too late; it always comes at exactly the time it is meant to.  ;D

mnem
The universe can be funny that way...  ;)

It went away for 213 EUR ($241 US). RIP
I saw one from Italy going for 250ish EUR few weeks ago. So the prices vary slightly.

Congrats to the guy who bought it (wasn't me) ;D
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107910 on: November 28, 2021, 06:45:03 pm »
   Heh... that logo looks so nefarious, like something out of The Prisoner...  :-DD

Huh... AMC did a remake in 2009, with Ian McKellen & Jim Caviezel: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1043714/

mnem

Oh god, I bet that was a car crash to watch, rather like the recent BBC reimagining of Terry's City Guards in "The Watch".

This one...? But it has Vince Vaughn and that guy from The IT Crowd... come now, there has to be some redeeming quality in there...  :-DD

As for The Prisoner2009 , I'm tempted to look it up, just to see Sir Ian as Number 1...  >:D Having to put up with Caviezel's ham-fisted acting would surely test my resolve, however. ;)

mnem

No, not that one but this one. Racked up 274k viewers for the first episode, by the 8th and last only 130k viewers left. That for a programme based on the books by a 70 million seller author.

A review, quoted from the Wikipedia page: "The Watch takes everything devotees loved about Pratchett: the wryness, the whimsy, the Tolkien-goes-Monty Python setting of Ankh-Morpork. And then chucks it out the window." That doesn't even begin to catalogue the things done to the characters and stories by the producers, including a healthy dollop of pointless and trendy "let's cast women for men's roles, men for women's roles and as many non-white people as we can stuff in to signal how good we are". The most annoying thing about this is that Terry spend a lot of time tacking gender and race issues by doing clever subtle things with the characters , all of which was too subtle to make it through the mauling the screenwriters gave the stories and characters.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, srb1954

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #107911 on: November 28, 2021, 06:49:00 pm »
Oh how the mighty have fallen! :'(

They had a monopoly at a time when all German state broadcasters (there were no commercial stations) had to be fitted from scratch for b/w and then in 1967 for colour tv. This clearly couldn't go on forever.

It wasn't only them. Mostly all German makers of broadcast equipment were living in a land where milk and honey flowed in endless abundance. The stations had money 'like hay', as we say here. Only the best was good enough and discussing prices was just not done.

This changed with the arrival of commercial broadcasters who, by their very nature, had to be cost-conscious. Most of the great old names didn't survive the next decade.

And IRF in München is no more. (the auction from the office closure was discussed here some weeks ago) They wrote all those specs that the vendors had to meet.

My employer also had Fernseh GMBH cameras. Long before I joined, of course. I have had lots to do with the people from Grass Valley, though. Didn't a bit of Philips end up there too? There are like 5 groups  of people from GV; the Americans (Original GV), the Brits (Snell), the Germans (BTS) and some Dutch and French.

some wikipedia reading later:

Yes, I remembered correctly;  Thomson (Now Technicolor) bought the broadcast bits of Philips and merged them with GV and was then forced to sell the lot to Francisco Partners who in turn sold it to Belden who then sold them to Black Dragon Capital last year.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107912 on: November 28, 2021, 06:51:32 pm »

Oooooh... that is def gonna generate some interest if it is seen in the right circles. Plus those pics are good enuf that I feel a need to post them here for posterity as a future technical resource. :-+

mnem

The joy of vintage Tek never comes too early or too late; it always comes at exactly the time it is meant to.  ;D

mnem

I saw one from Italy going for 250ish EUR few weeks ago. So the prices vary slightly.

In most cases you can, with some difficulty, troubleshoot and calibrate 7000 series vertical plug-in's by installing them in left most bay. Time Base plug-in's are more of a problem and the extender could be useful but those plug-in's rarely fail.

Wasn't me either that bought it.   

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107913 on: November 28, 2021, 06:55:45 pm »
   This one...? But it has Vince Vaughn and that guy from The IT Crowd...
No, not that one but this one. Racked up 274k viewers for the first episode, by the 8th and last only 130k viewers left. That for a programme based on the books by a 70 million seller author.   

A review, quoted from the Wikipedia page: "The Watch takes everything devotees loved about Pratchett: the wryness, the whimsy, the Tolkien-goes-Monty Python setting of Ankh-Morpork. And then chucks it out the window." That doesn't even begin to catalogue the things done to the characters and stories by the producers, including a healthy dollop of pointless and trendy "let's cast women for men's roles, men for women's roles and as many non-white people as we can stuff in to signal how good we are". The most annoying thing about this is that Terry spend a lot of time tacking gender and race issues by doing clever subtle things with the characters , all of which was too subtle to make it through the mauling the screenwriters gave the stories and characters.
Oh dear... that does sound... ummm... dire.   :wtf:

mnem

Offline DH7DN

• Regular Contributor
    • DH7DN Blog
« Reply #107914 on: November 28, 2021, 07:19:56 pm »

mnem

mnem

In most cases you can, with some difficulty, troubleshoot and calibrate 7000 series vertical plug-in's by installing them in left most bay. Time Base plug-in's are more of a problem and the extender could be useful but those plug-in's rarely fail.

Wasn't me either that bought it.

Life is just easier with this calibration fixture  ;D

PS: I got my Calibration Fixture some time ago. I'm still following the eBay auctions from time to time as they seem to be super rare. As med said, they are rarely needed in order to service the 7000 series timebase plugins.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:21:08 pm by DH7DN »
vy 73 de DH7DN, My Blog

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, jxjbsd

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #107915 on: November 28, 2021, 07:59:07 pm »
Was chatting to our Larry Major in Perth today and asked him what he's currently getting for tool money as a Marine Cabby with 10+ yrs experience which much to my shock was $5/hr which for his current 50hr weeks is a forking $250/wk ! That's more than I used to earn as a tradesman in the 80's !  :rant:

...When a dad says you're best to go and see the world and how the other half live you don't just expect them to become that other half !  :o
Every parent hopes to be the springboard off which their children leap further than they ever could. Congratulations!  :-+

mnem
Thanks.
For each of our 3 the day any of their employers saw they had something better than the average Joe and subsequently rewarded them for their skill/honesty/integrity was of great satisfaction for a parent knowing we had installed all the right qualities in them while dragging them up.  :phew:

The elder 2 work for companies, Larry Major the Cabbie and Larrynette is an airline Captain while Larry Minor got enough skill and learnt the ways of the world well enough a few years back to start his own earthmoving company plus lease and manage our farm holding and pick up all manner of other work when he has gaps in his otherwise busy schedule.

They all have great partners and are slowly building us a small clutch of grandchildren.
None of them had a lot while growing up which we believe helped focus them on their futures and the best path to get to their goals.
Looking back I think some of the best values we taught them were effort = reward, honesty is the best policy (traditional family motto) and never shit in your own backyard.  :)

Decades of grey hairs have given way to contently watching their achievements with great satisfaction.  :D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107916 on: November 28, 2021, 08:09:16 pm »

Sounds like a nice device indeed.. a bit like an AWG but less general purpose, offering an easier, quicker more intuitive way of creating test signals for most common scenarios.

Question : you didn't say what frequency your test signal is.. but the instrument is limited to 600kHz so let's say it's that.
I notice on the your scope that the square wave looks ridiculously crap, I mean the rise and fall times are so slow you can actually see it on the screen....
There is no way an HP gear, especially of that vintage, of that caliber, would have such a slow rise time... does that mean it's slow on purpose, for some reason to do with the intended use of this piece of gear ? Does the user manual say anything about that ? Or is it capable of much faster rise times but it's user adjustable and your unit happens to be configured right now for slow rise times ?

600 kHz max for sine, 50 kHz for the other waveforms. No, it isn't gear designed for high frequency applications. I included the sales brochure below. The stated rise time for a square wave is "< 2.5 uS" and that's about what I'm seeing. This is gear for testing audio and low frequency systems.

Stimulus for audio circuits

"The 8904A has many characteristics
and features which make it well suited
as a stimulus for audio circuits. The
output of the 8904A is characterized
by low spurious and harmonic content.
Total harmonic distortion plus noise
(including all spurs) can be as low as
–78 dBc. With low distortion, the
8904A can be used to test many high
performance audio devices."

Have a look at the 8904A post here;
https://emperoroftestequipment.weebly.com/#H

Seems they bought in the display board & PSU, also note the battery can leak/corrode the board and cause mayhem, it also stores the S/N & options.

P.S. apologies if you spend any-more than a few minutes reading that site.

David

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107917 on: November 28, 2021, 08:26:52 pm »
ICs? Who needs ICs for digital logic?

The divide-by-10 circuits in the 1965 Tek 184 use only 3 transistors. How do they do that? Having debugged mine, that's a rhetorical question!

Now I know TOO !  ;D

What a coincidence/timing, look what me just got !
Some old junk to please Tautech !  :-DD

An old Nixie counter, and no IC in there either, here too they used discrete trannies everywhere to do all the counting decoding or anything really.

Lucky me, for a change I was able to find a service manual. A rare occurrence for all these old French instrumentation companies. A nice manual at that, 20+ pages, in good resolution, with all the info you would want. So I attached the schematic for the decade boards/Nixie drivers, just because I love you. 5 identical boards of course, because 5 Nixies in this thing. First / fastest two decade boards have an identical design and layout as the 3 slower ones, all they did was use different transistor models.

As we can see there are 18 transistors on each decade board. 8 transistors was enough for them to implement the 4 bit counter. A pair of 2 transistors for each bit.
Then for the BCD decoding and driving of the Nixie, it's combined apparently, they use only one transistor per digit, so 10 transistors.

Note how funky looking the transistor symbol is, never seen them drawn like this before !  :o

Anyway this one popped up here right after I bought that tiny Minitron counter, I don't choose timing, things pop up when they do...  just so happens to have two nice things in a row... probably means I won't see anything worthwhile for a year now !  :-//

So, it's an old Nixie counter, from 1965, made by " Rochar " , short lived small French company (quickly bought and killed by Schlumberger, like they did with ADRET and Enertec and god knows who else).

...big snip....

Anyway, I had to tear it down right from the start because it uses a weird obsolete power socket, so I tried to get inside to solder a cable somewhere, just temporarily, to test it. No joy. spent half an hour taking it apart, removing bits and pieces of the chassis, a decade board, all the nixies and the bezel that keeps them aligned, a  big bracket/gusset... only to realize that would only get me so far... but not far enough to solder a cable. So gave up and put it all back together again.

Metal version of picture number 29 here??;
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/ApplConn_classic2.html
Matching connector in no. 30 is stupid priced and very fragile;
https://www.wittnercinetec.com/epages/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film/Products/4092

David
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:39:54 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107918 on: November 28, 2021, 08:36:48 pm »

.....snip

It seems there are quite a lot of such bulldust merchants around----I remember some allegedly ex-Tektronix guys trying to tell us that the seriously dire Tek 650 series of picture monitors were really "all made by Sony!'.

Funny thing, they all had "Beaverton , Oregon" all over them!

They might have been partially correct. Sony learned a lot from Tek on CRT manufacturing and applied that to the development of the Trinitron CRT. It's possible that those monitors had a Trinitron CRT but were still built in Beaverton.

Here is one of those Tek picture monitors I saw last week but forgot to post, didn't sell at 99 euros, no idea if it's a Sony or not.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/275037647046

Not sure I would want to touch anything Sony TV related from the 1970's, after watching the recent Shango066 video.

David
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:41:43 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107919 on: November 28, 2021, 08:48:39 pm »

Seems the "no power supply for it" as they call it is due to the old Bulgin mains connector, I'm guessing the power lead was either missing, or the seller decided it looked unsafe.  :-//
Even the RS catalog from 1984 states certain types of both sizes of Bulgin connector, with the cover that can be removed without tools, are only rated for 50V unless inaccessible.  >:D
If only those sellers on ePay knew this, selling those connectors at silly prices for old amps and other equipment.  :palm:

David

Mouser and RS still stock the cable connector; it's called PX0631. Still lots of dire warnings about it being a piece of shit connector on the catalog pages.  :-DD

I know, because I bought one for my Solartron DVM.

A sensible price is about €4 plus VAT. Anything above that is extortion.

You bought the low voltage one used on the old Weller soldering stations*, should have bought those below, still a PITA to wire up and sometimes out of stock;

The smallest size is still made, Mouser, RS & Farnell have both PX0646 (straight) or PX0430/SE (right angle), these both have cable grips.
Avoid old stock as they are made from quite brittle plastic and avoid the low-voltage version that can do undone without tools.

The larger size is no longer made AFAIK, I have seen a right angle version with cord grip too.
These are used in some old audio gear and fetch high prices as a result.

David

* Now I'm imagining some daft person plugging a 240V lead into the output connector on the front of a Weller* soldering station.  :-DD  It's a disaster waiting to happen. >:D

David
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:52:09 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107920 on: November 28, 2021, 09:15:42 pm »

.....snip

It seems there are quite a lot of such bulldust merchants around----I remember some allegedly ex-Tektronix guys trying to tell us that the seriously dire Tek 650 series of picture monitors were really "all made by Sony!'.

Funny thing, they all had "Beaverton , Oregon" all over them!

They might have been partially correct. Sony learned a lot from Tek on CRT manufacturing and applied that to the development of the Trinitron CRT. It's possible that those monitors had a Trinitron CRT but were still built in Beaverton.

Here is one of those Tek picture monitors I saw last week but forgot to post, didn't sell at 99 euros, no idea if it's a Sony or not.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/275037647046

Not sure I would want to touch anything Sony TV related from the 1970's, after watching the recent Shango066 video.

David

Judging by the "squareness" of the CRT it has the look of a Trinitron. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107921 on: November 28, 2021, 09:29:41 pm »
Rochar Nixie Counter follow-up : FIXED !  :D

I know, I am quick , but I am a genius so it was to be expected eh ?!    ^-^

No.... operator error of course ! That counter works just fine, it's the operator that needs fixing !  :-DD

I should have RTFM instead of just fiddling randomly with the knobs, impatient that I was   ::)

It's not very intuitive for youngsters like me. There is no explicit and obvious knob to set frequency range, nor any unit indicator on the display, never mind a decimal point...

Worse... actually as you can see there IS a "frequency range" switch, that offers ranges, clearly labelled in Hz, going from 1 Hz to 100kHz... but these have NOTHING to do with measuring the input signal believe it or not !  if I select any of these ranges, what happens is that the counter ignores the input signal, and instead counts by itself (you can disconnect the input signal and it will still count...), like a test mode or something, looping back on itself. So if you select say the range " 100 Hz ", it will count from 0 to 100, over and over again.

What you need to do to select the range, is ignore this switch... instead go to the "Mode" switch, (labelled " Fonction(1) " here in French ), that's on the left of the  misleading Frequency range switch. You can select between period measurements, counting, or frequency measurements.
3 options to measure frequency as you can see:

1s x N
0.1s x N
0.01s x N

So we select not a frequency, but rather a time... the time during which the counting gate is open.
So if you select a gate time of 1second, you get a direct reading on the display : the last digit will represent one Hz.
Since we have 5 digits on the display, this means we can display a  max frequency of 99,999Hz or 100kHz.
but counter is good for 2.2MHz so if we need to measure above 100kHz, we need to make the LSD represent 10Hz not one Hz anymore.
Of course we do that by now selecting a gate time 10 times shorter. So that would be " 0.1s x N ".
etc.

But of course, gate time is computed using 'N' as well, so you also need to set that, manually... via a dedicated knob in the upper right corner of the front panel, see.  'N' can be set from 1 to 12. Yes 12 not 10, don't ask me why...

So for example setting the range switch to say 0.1s x N with N set to 10, would be equivalent to setting N to 1 and the range to 1s x N.

So yes you guessed it... if the counter was reading "wrong", showing only half the frequency of the actual input signal, it was simply because N happened to be set to  5 instead of 1 or 10 !  :-DD

Now that I understand how to configure these knobs, this counter is officially counting perfectly fine !  :)

56 years old and still counting, oh the pun !  :scared:

So nothing to fix in the end ! Almost disappointed !  :-DD

So the "restoration" will then be limited to replacing the screws securing the face plate, and fit an IEC power socket, and replacing all the tarnished BNC sockets.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 10:04:07 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #107922 on: November 28, 2021, 09:42:07 pm »
Rochar Nixie Counter follow-up : FIXED !  :D

I know, I am quick , but I am genius so it was to be expected eh ?!   ^-^

No.... operator error of course ! That counter works just fine, it's the operator that needs fixing !  :-DD

I should have RTFM instead of just fiddling randomly with the knobs, impatient that I was   ::)

It's not very intuitive for youngster like me. There is no explcit and obvious knob to set frequency range, nor any unit indicator on the display, never mind a decimal point...

...snip

Well of course you had problems understanding the control functions.......it's all in French.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, factory

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107923 on: November 28, 2021, 10:09:19 pm »

...big snip....

Metal version of picture number 29 here??;
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/ApplConn_classic2.html
Matching connector in no. 30 is stupid priced and very fragile;
https://www.wittnercinetec.com/epages/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/WittnerCinetec-Super8-16mm-Film/Products/4092

David

Wow, there exists a power plug museum ?!  :o

I guess why not...  :-//

Yes looks like you found the one eh !
So it's German in origin, interesting...

57 Euros for a plug is more than what I paid for the counter including shipping ( 50 + 2,99 ), so no !  :-DD
Luckily as I said it was never my intention to get a period power plug or cable. I want to standardize all my vintage gear to IEC sockets for convenience.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #107924 on: November 28, 2021, 11:20:34 pm »
I recently (as in earlier tonight) had reason to watch a sniping war in action. Unfortunately I was not the winner, because the price went too high compared to what I'd set as my limit. I expected this; the seller is well known, has a history of selling good TE, and consequently has lots of watchers on most any item he puts up for sale.  The interesting part was that this time, the sniping was more intense than ususal.  So much so that I had to go all sciency-looking and plot the price vs time graph.  No wonder. The listing was for a AM503 with probe, in a TM500 case, claimed working and looking good.

Nothing really happens until the last 5 seconds.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf