Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14557015 times)

TERRA Operative, Jambalaya and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #108125 on: December 01, 2021, 10:06:14 am »
Tethered Trawling because I am bored  >:D

Melbourne Pickup or I might consider grabbing it for a look see and a play eBay auction: #334229618283

[..]

Wow- that Wandel & Goltermann oscilloscope is very rare, even here in Germany where it was produced.
It surely had a loooong travel to Australia. W&G had stopped developing oscilloscopes after this model AFAIK.

Here's a bit of background: http://koschuh.com/museum/wandel_goltermann/wago.htm German only, I am afraid - you may just pick your favourite online translator....

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Thanks for the read  :-+ Last time I did more or less that same trip was for a Fluke Calibrator and it was about 10 hours driving over 12 hours so someone else can enjoy it.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #108126 on: December 01, 2021, 10:58:07 am »
Is the top on the foundation blocks to be FFL ?

I don't know what " FFL " means  :-// Google says it means in French "French Federation of Losers "...  :-DD

FFL = Finished Floor Level = batter board height on building profile frames....those with the nails in them that mark the building lines.

Often when an extension is done to an existing building a FFL mark or nail is made nearby to the build for referring level heights to. Sometimes a FFL is referred to some other datum height such as a nearby iron manhole lid and on building plans a note of FFL being a plus or minus measurement in relation to this datum.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108127 on: December 01, 2021, 11:38:38 am »
Is the top on the foundation blocks to be FFL ?

I don't know what " FFL " means  :-// Google says it means in French "French Federation of Losers "...  :-DD

FFL = Finished Floor Level = batter board height on building profile frames....those with the nails in them that mark the building lines.

Often when an extension is done to an existing building a FFL mark or nail is made nearby to the build for referring level heights to. Sometimes a FFL is referred to some other datum height such as a nearby iron manhole lid and on building plans a note of FFL being a plus or minus measurement in relation to this datum.

OK OK...

So the answer is no, top of blocks is not the FFL.  This row of blocks will give the level of gravel. Then I will let the gravel "settle" over the winter, then come spring I will install a second row of blocks, special ones, which are meant to define the height of the slab. You can buy them in a few different standard heights depending how thick you want the slab to be. Typically 10, 12 or 16 or 19 cm. It's more convenient than just using wooden planks !  ;D

FFL of the garage here is required to be lower than FFL of the house, to prevent the house from being flooded in case you have a water problem in your garage with your plumbing  or washing machine or water heater that gives up the ghost or whatever...
Only problem is nobody is able to tell you just HOW MUCH lower the garage FFL needs to be ! Everyone says "about 5 to 10cm"...so basically it's not critical, as long as it " a bit " lower than the house FFL, the authorities are happy...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108128 on: December 01, 2021, 11:50:53 am »
40mm below is quite adequate Vince. Just make sure the other side of the garage floor is the same 40mm low.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #108129 on: December 01, 2021, 12:49:12 pm »
However for some years have run the OS on a SSD and data on a HD and only the processor hungry programs on the SSD for snappy launching.

Been doing the same for years myself.  Keep data away from the OS just in case.  Haven't had Windoze take a sh!t in years but I am not about to change what I do.  Hard to teach an old Woolfe new tricks, just ask Mrs. GreyWoolfe. :-DD  I might end up looking at Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.  I have been curious about Linux but the older I get, the harder it seems to learn new things.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #108130 on: December 01, 2021, 12:52:47 pm »
tbh I hate Ubuntu ...
Either a standard debian or a RHEL from work even tho they use ancient drivers.

But if I am to choose, I'll always vote for BSD.
why settle for a toy if you can get the real thing ...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #108131 on: December 01, 2021, 02:03:03 pm »

fully agree, the problem is the world still prefer to play with toys rather than use the real thing.

BTW thanks to all for the discussion about OSs, I think the next upgrade on my desktop workhorse will be pure software: get rid of windoze.
It is a software upgrade that could have better performance boost than a real $$$ HW upgrade.

PS: then I will try to install a no fan silent liquid cooling system with a car cooler
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108132 on: December 01, 2021, 02:22:00 pm »

fully agree, the problem is the world still prefer to play with toys rather than use the real thing.

BTW thanks to all for the discussion about OSs, I think the next upgrade on my desktop workhorse will be pure software: get rid of windoze.
It is a software upgrade that could have better performance boost than a real $$$ HW upgrade.

PS: then I will try to install a no fan silent liquid cooling system with a car cooler
Why on earth would you want to do that, the liquid requires air passing through radiator to cool the liquid before passing it back to the CPU again.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108133 on: December 01, 2021, 02:34:45 pm »

Why on earth would you want to do that, the liquid requires air passing through radiator to cool the liquid before passing it back to the CPU again.
The area of the car cooler is so large, just the literal heat radiation might be enough for a medium cpu. If you want convection, because of the tight fins, not sure if horizontal or vertical would increase performance. Maybe slight angle, so some air goes through? Also, with this size, we can have a loooong discussion before it does break the "quote thread" size

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #108134 on: December 01, 2021, 02:50:41 pm »
The area of the car cooler is so large, just the literal heat radiation might be enough for a medium cpu. If you want convection, because of the tight fins, not sure if horizontal or vertical would increase performance.

exactely....  8) ;)

gnif our blog admin has a car radiator outside his home to cool down his horse...  ^-^
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 02:56:20 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108135 on: December 01, 2021, 03:20:30 pm »
Dirty Dawg.  :-BROKE

More later.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #108136 on: December 01, 2021, 03:53:42 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/fs-sp500-motorgenerator-all-my-electronics-coils-magnets-tools/

:bullshit:  :bullshit:  :bullshit:
Well this is strange, from Fuellesspower.com

https://youtu.be/etLPhs1ChAU

Sebastian12345 are you aware in this forum we are almost all engineers?

I'm imagining this in a accent somewhere halfway between Luigi from Mario Bros and Sigmung Freud... and it makes me smile.   >:D

mnem
Duly noted, and inappropriate comments made. ;)

I made appropriate comments instead, as I'm not a dwagon.
Thank you. I'm glad somebody here was able to think of something constructive to say; I'll admit I'm a bit overwhelmed ATM.  :-+

Cheers,

mnem
*shameless nerd-dwagon*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108137 on: December 01, 2021, 04:05:17 pm »
Tethered Trawling because I am bored  >:D

Melbourne Pickup or I might consider grabbing it for a look see and a play eBay auction: #334229618283

[..]

Wow- that Wandel & Goltermann oscilloscope is very rare, even here in Germany where it was produced.
It surely had a loooong travel to Australia. W&G had stopped developing oscilloscopes after this model AFAIK.

Here's a bit of background: http://koschuh.com/museum/wandel_goltermann/wago.htm German only, I am afraid - you may just pick your favourite online translator....

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Thanks for the read  :-+ Last time I did more or less that same trip was for a Fluke Calibrator and it was about 10 hours driving over 12 hours so someone else can enjoy it.

You are certainly welcome. I always find it interesting where in the world some T&M equipment ends. I once found a Tektronix 5441 (70s era oscilloscope) in fairly good condition on a farm nearby in lovely rural Bavaria...  :)

@med6753: C'mon, please can we see the innards of that old girl alias your Tek 547, please? I hope that the tubes are still where they should be.
https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/547 I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that the tunnel diodes and tubes are all ok.

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:16:22 pm by THDplusN_bad »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #108138 on: December 01, 2021, 04:16:32 pm »
tbh I hate Ubuntu ...
Either a standard debian or a RHEL from work even tho they use ancient drivers.

Again... This is not a fair argument. What it boils down to is use cases; the usual desktop OS is not a toy, it is a productivity tool. (we'll need to table the usual argument over whether it actually enables productivity or inhibits it for the sake of this discussion  ;))

It is not reasonable to expect the average computer user to run a server/workstation OS on their  desktop; they have trouble enough remembering to turn on both the PC and the monitor at the same time.  :-DD

The Windows equivalent argument would have been expecting them to use WinNT instead of XP or Win7; yes, many organizations tried to do this back in the day; it rarely ended well. 

Once you've taken the plunge and know your way around the deep dark recesses of any family of server/workstation OS, anything less will feel restrictive.

But the desktop OS has it's place, and it still is a valid choice for those who have another job they need to get done besides being a sysadmin.

If we needed any more proof of this, just look at how well Micro$uck's ongoing attempts at turning said desktop environment into a tablet OS have been beaten back again and again by normal people who just want a virtual desktop that works like their IRL desktop; complete with busted stapler, yesterday's coffee cup, and Post-It notes scattered from Hell to breakfast.

mnem
*insert random coffee-related image here* :horse:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:28:07 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108139 on: December 01, 2021, 04:27:27 pm »
No more dirty dawg.

Let the games begin.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, mnementh, Mortymore, ch_scr, Andrew_Debbie, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108140 on: December 01, 2021, 04:27:55 pm »
I just watched this  and he spoke about installing "Wine" to be able to run some Windows based software on Linux, although he does recommend learning to use just Linux based software. My question is, has anyone installed it, does it work and what are your thoughts about doing so. Ultimately, I may if I can get along with Linux, install it on my main PC which is a good few years newer than the Asrock and also of course far more powerful and faster.

Don't....

Wine is only an emulator. So all the windows programs pollute and "corrupt" you main Linux install. It's just messy to me. Any problem at run-time with your windows  programs could jeopardize you system, potentially corrupt your file system god knows what. And when you want to uninstall Wine it will always leave stuff behind, but you won't even know what and where. I just find emulators messy and unsafe. Also it requires all sorts of trickery, time consuming, trial and errors.. to get each and every of your Windows program t run properly, or as best as Wine can manage should we say. It's a lottery and a time consuming one.

I also try to avoid it, but its fine for things like LTSpice, which runs without a hitch in (under?) it. I also installed old Google Picasa on a friend's machine under Wine.

Ero-Shan

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108141 on: December 01, 2021, 04:43:14 pm »
I just watched this  and he spoke about installing "Wine" to be able to run some Windows based software on Linux, although he does recommend learning to use just Linux based software. My question is, has anyone installed it, does it work and what are your thoughts about doing so. Ultimately, I may if I can get along with Linux, install it on my main PC which is a good few years newer than the Asrock and also of course far more powerful and faster.

Don't....

Wine is only an emulator. So all the windows programs pollute and "corrupt" you main Linux install. It's just messy to me. Any problem at run-time with your windows  programs could jeopardize you system, potentially corrupt your file system god knows what. And when you want to uninstall Wine it will always leave stuff behind, but you won't even know what and where. I just find emulators messy and unsafe. Also it requires all sorts of trickery, time consuming, trial and errors.. to get each and every of your Windows program t run properly, or as best as Wine can manage should we say. It's a lottery and a time consuming one.

I also try to avoid it, but its fine for things like LTSpice, which runs without a hitch in (under?) it. I also installed old Google Picasa on a friend's machine under Wine.

Ero-Shan
Currently playing around with Linux, so far good impressions. Slow progress but getting there.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108142 on: December 01, 2021, 05:02:54 pm »
All cleaned up. Every tube/transistor socket got a shot of deoxit and a firm wiggle side to side while being plugged in.

Now to the vertical/plug-in side. No where near as dirty. I think I'm just going to soft brush it and be done with it. After that clean the fan blades.

Follow on.....fix some broken binding posts on the front and rear panel. Then will do extensive resistance checks. If that looks good then apply power and watch for smoke. That's tomorrow's plan.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108143 on: December 01, 2021, 05:24:23 pm »
Thats a transformation for sure Pappa Smurf, the front panel looks almost as good as it did when it left the factory, good job  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #108144 on: December 01, 2021, 05:55:06 pm »
All cleaned up.

Very nice. Excellent transformation. Let's hope it'll run too. (We all know the caps are history, regardless!)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108145 on: December 01, 2021, 06:56:28 pm »
You Germans here have some really wonderful organs in your churches, I wonder if any of you actually fully appreciate them. Its no wonder YT is full of videos of the world's greatest organists playing your organs. While this is off topic, they are in their own right very complicated and delicate at the same time, instruments.

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: FransW, Neper

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108146 on: December 01, 2021, 07:23:34 pm »
No more dirty dawg.
Whaddabout dusty dawg......next ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108147 on: December 01, 2021, 07:51:45 pm »
You Germans here have some really wonderful organs in your churches, I wonder if any of you actually fully appreciate them. Its no wonder YT is full of videos of the world's greatest organists playing your organs. While this is off topic, they are in their own right very complicated and delicate at the same time, instruments.

Well it's kinda on-topic.. as in, I guess one could use these things as a pretext to fire up an audio spectrum analyzer and/or frequency counter or something, to calibrate/tune the thing... I don't know....  :-//

Then when  playing the thing full blast and it makes so much noise that the building is trembling, one could fire up a dynamic signal analyzer to analyze the resulting mini earth quake...

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 07:56:34 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108148 on: December 01, 2021, 08:12:45 pm »

Given the choice, I'd rather go for English organs and these two guys:

We've seen them live in Liège, Belgium, two years ago. Great concert.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:41:21 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108149 on: December 01, 2021, 08:56:52 pm »
No more dirty dawg.
Whaddabout dusty dawg......next ?

Dusty dawg will probably wait until new year. I want to get dirty dawg fixed up and the remaining plug-in's first. 

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf