Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14782269 times)

Robert763 and 206 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #108225 on: December 02, 2021, 11:08:14 pm »

You really want the 8640B though. The A is less desirable due to the lack of phase lock. It's not as stable as a synthesized signal generator, but it was innovative at the time and it's hard to beat the phase noise spec of these cavity oscillators. Both will likely suffer from front panel issues due to the plastic gearing.

Yes, I concur. The military 8640B, AN/USM 323, is even sexier; it's got the "dot" type LED display that is bested only by Nixies and such.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #108226 on: December 02, 2021, 11:11:43 pm »

You really want the 8640B though. The A is less desirable due to the lack of phase lock. It's not as stable as a synthesized signal generator, but it was innovative at the time and it's hard to beat the phase noise spec of these cavity oscillators. Both will likely suffer from front panel issues due to the plastic gearing.

Yes, I concur. The military 8640B, AN/USM 323, is even sexier; it's got the "dot" type LED display that is bested only by Nixies and such.

I think mine has that too. I'll have to fire it up and check.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #108227 on: December 02, 2021, 11:13:32 pm »
hp 8640A signal gen with option 001 (audio oscillator), ex-RAF and in quite poor condition, needs the RIFA madness disarming.  :-DD

Now there's envy from over here. I want a 8640. Then I'm going to want a SA. And a power meter.

Yeah the frequency adjustment mechanism in my 520 MHz HP8654B can be a right PITA and too scared to get in there to find out why.  :scared:
So got a new RF gen that don't give such issues.........

I got a "newer" one that manages to be heavier than my already heavy 8640B....the 8664A synthesized sig gen with the low phase noise option. And the low leakage case. RIP if you need to either (1) move it, (2) get inside the case (>=50 screws), or worse...both.  :o Luckily I got a *nice* 8640B that has a good front panel and is well optioned. It has 50W reverse power protection too, which is nice. Between the two I have very nice clean signals up to 3 GHz though. I have an 8672A for 2-18 GHz.
This HP8654B has the reverse power option too but without digging it out can't say the option #.
Anyone that needs to know ....ask.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #108228 on: December 02, 2021, 11:17:39 pm »

I think mine has that too. I'll have to fire it up and check.

Yes, I just noticed that there are "normal-chassis" versions with that display available on Ebay as I was looking at the offerings.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108229 on: December 02, 2021, 11:27:40 pm »
Some of the other lots I collected today, spent a bit of time removing the auction labels this afternoon.

Tek 109 pulse gen, originally used by Tek in the UK site according to the back.

Wow it looks so cute, would love to have one !! Would love to have all sorts of cool little things of that vintage like that to go with my glowing Tek scopes.

When you get bored with it you can sell it to me  8)

250ps rise time not bad for such an ancient device ! :o

Ah man, I want one of those. They are indeed very good pulsers.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #108230 on: December 02, 2021, 11:48:14 pm »
Outbid on both WaveTeks...   Just as well...

Ditto Tinsley standard resistors - by a factor of 3-4!

I only bid a small amount on those, think I saw over £600 earlier.

Have won a hernia producer I've been looking for some time, the 745A AC calibrator, also got one of the hp 5340A counters, a Sullivan megohmmeter, the lot of hp 855x SA plug-ins and a few others.

David

What did the Sulivan Megohmmeers go for? I own two already so could spare one if anyone missed in the auction.

£40-50, plus uplift. I got the other one.

Got mine home. Wasn't looking forward to seeing the state of the 9V battery - but the 2007 vintage EverReady Silver hadn't leaked.

I can now confirm that putting two 1Tohm resistors in series does result in a 2Tohm resistor, at least with 100V, 250V or 500V across them. The 1kV is a little noisy.
Here is the Sullivan T2900 I got, not been used since 1993 guessing from the last cal date, luckily the Ever-Deady Red battery hadn't leaked, unfortunately my only PP9 is also past it's best (down to 6V), need to re-stuff it with AA cells.
It was enough to bring on the overload lamp, but couldn't get any reading on the meter, the case shows signs off tampering underneath. Also found another lot number 87 under the current one 34, guess it didn't sell in the June auction, or sold & never got paid for?

These were made after HW Sullivan had been taken over by the AVO/Megger group at Dover.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/H._W._Sullivan

David

I suspected mine hadn't sold, for the same reason.

I used a standard PSU plus banana-to-croc clip to test mine. The current is minimal, except on the 1000V range, which is also the "noisy" range.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108231 on: December 03, 2021, 12:39:21 am »
The transistor checker arrived today safe and sound after been recovery from airline and enduring the surveillance warehouse.  Surveillance Warehouse.  That name has got to be an unholy three way matrimony between George Orwell, Amazon, and the CCP.

Anyways, that’ll help out with sorting through a ton of parts I inherited from a kind ex-Nortel engineer who was downsizing his house.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108232 on: December 03, 2021, 12:53:18 am »
Feck, why do you all have cooler and sexier High-Resistance meters than me? Grrrr...nothing on offer.

IF I were one of the Sinclair/Thurlby mini-oscilloscope owners, I would certainly go for this:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/324910304284
Better this way round, as the probability of repair is decidedly higher for a function generator than for a mini-scope.

And those pervs which fancy those absurdly formatted Yokogawa scopes can go for a fitting original set of probes now:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/334236456000

As always, if one of the UK or US regulars needs help to get his fingers on the Thandar FG, feel free to ask.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108233 on: December 03, 2021, 01:14:28 am »

I concur too. But until I have a permanent pig-lifter in my employ, I'll stick with a 8648 or likewise. :phew:

BTW, the new vector signal generator at work is something one can use, but definitely not something I could develop an attachment to. (R&S SMCV100B) It is TINY and the command inceptors have about the same complexity as a gameboy. It has a touchscreen whose sensitivity and resolution are not very well matched with the display. Combined with parallax error, it is not operable without a mouse.

Where will this end? The VNA needs a mouse, the big Tek is also better used with one, as I will use  poultry shears on any smudgy fingers soiling this display, and now the signal generator wants one too.
That table is needed for experimental setups, not as a electronic rodent corral! :rant:

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108234 on: December 03, 2021, 01:31:24 am »
   ...Also got my Wiha screwdriver set from Contorion.

mnem

Meh... Saskia, what do you even want with that brutish System 6? Das ist doch eher was fuer Bauhandwerker. System 4 is the Wiha thing to have. In this size I would have really gone for Wera, as they have a ratcheting handle and an ESD handle as well. Their small-size system on the other hand, I would not want and definitely prefer Wiha Sys4. But not with their new handle, which again is far too clumsy and thick. Also soft-grip - feels yuck and soils fast.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108235 on: December 03, 2021, 02:32:09 am »

Moving Dwagons Update/Recap:

We had a good Turkey Day with dad; while we were catching our breath in a decent hotel in Queens, we did a bunch of online research into places to start over within a couple hours in case he needs us.

We liked some of the prices around Jersey City, and some of the schools around New Rochelle and Scarsdale but ultimately we settled on Hartford CT and surrounds as the schools are rated highly for students and teachers, they are paying well especially now, and have low student to teacher ratios with highly rated autism programs.

While crime rates are a bit high in certain areas, there are a lot of the surrounding areas that are safe and reasonable rents on a whole house, which is what we need to be looking at for our family needs and if dad has to join us anytime soon.

We literally just touched down in a Holiday Inn in Newington, CT (That's it in the background; these pix are from the parking lot of a Army/Navy store next door) and we've already looked at 3 awesome properties and Beth's phone has been ringing off the hook for job interviews on Zoom, several with multiple principals and admins at the same time. She has 5 interviews today alone!

It's all a bit of a whirlwind right now... Hopefully things will slow down soon enough for us to think about 🎄 Christmas.

Cheers,

mnem
*toddles off to make lunch for the kiddles*

That's a British Ferret scout car. And no, they did not have a missile on the back!

That's what a nutjob recently planted  up close to the door of the WA State Premier's Electoral office, whilst standing on it shouting & yelling as a protest/threat/whatever about the State's stance on Covid 19 jabs.

His "warlike mien" didn't cut the mustard with the Constabulary, who led him off to cool his heels in a cell.
Hopefully his fine will be enough that he has to sell the poor old Ferret to a more mentally stable collector!

Unfortunately, there have been a number of similar, & more explicit threats, although "sans Ferret".

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108236 on: December 03, 2021, 02:59:35 am »
Some of the other lots I collected today, spent a bit of time removing the auction labels this afternoon.

Tek 109 pulse gen, originally used by Tek in the UK site according to the back.

Nice score David !  :-+

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #108237 on: December 03, 2021, 04:00:58 am »
....selling a CASIO watch from 98 on ebay for stupid money...
It was forgotten in the drawer for about 20 years. CR2016 battery replaced and it works no problem.....

Let's see how it goes.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108238 on: December 03, 2021, 04:59:45 am »
On the subject of tools, I've been building out my off roading toolkit that I keep in the back of my truck. Got a nice Black Friday deal on the 1/2" drive mid torque impact on the right, to go with my existing 3/8" drive compact impact on the left. This should bust any nut I need to.  :-DD I gotta say the new design Milwaukee fuel impacts are super nice, and along with a scissor jack modified with a 1/2" drive socket to spin it, they make short work of the job when you stop to help someone change a shredded tire on a forest road.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, duckduck

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #108239 on: December 03, 2021, 06:10:03 am »
On the subject of tools, I've been building out my off roading toolkit that I keep in the back of my truck. Got a nice Black Friday deal on the 1/2" drive mid torque impact on the right, to go with my existing 3/8" drive compact impact on the left. This should bust any nut I need to.  :-DD I gotta say the new design Milwaukee fuel impacts are super nice, and along with a scissor jack modified with a 1/2" drive socket to spin it, they make short work of the job when you stop to help someone change a shredded tire on a forest road.  :-+

The belt hook on the handle, is it (both specific to this machine and in general) movable to the other side for my left-handed operation needs? 

I'm more of a pressurised air type when it comes to impacts but knowing the alternatives is always good.

Also, I'm a Bosch/AEG/Makita person around battery drills/drivers, but brands being layers of paint on generic constructions way too often these days, I'm probably fooling myself..

Home work day today.  We get a new dishwasher.

TE Market observation: A 3582A audio-range SA went for SEK 10600! yesterday (about 1/10 in €, 1/9 in US $). People are insane.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108240 on: December 03, 2021, 06:17:26 am »

The belt hook on the handle, is it (both specific to this machine and in general) movable to the other side for my left-handed operation needs? 

I'm more of a pressurised air type when it comes to impacts but knowing the alternatives is always good.

Also, I'm a Bosch/AEG/Makita person around battery drills/drivers, but brands being layers of paint on generic constructions way too often these days, I'm probably fooling myself..
[snip]

Indeed, it is designed to be ambidextrous. You can move the clip to the other side with just a screwdriver.

Really, as long as you stay away from the cheap big box home store brands like Ryobi, they are all pretty good. Milwaukee is really nice stuff, and their battery technology probably has an edge over everyone else. and that is probably the most important part. I purposely bought a two pack of the high output batteries for these. Expensive, but worth it for run time. The mid torque is really a sweet spot in the lineup too...it has enough power to bust semi truck (lorry for you folks on the other side of the pond  :P ) lug nuts. A friend of mine has the high torque model too and it is totally overkill for most applications...he's broken wheel studs with it.

I like air tools as well, but these are meant to go with me on offroading trips. Easier to carry than a big air compressor when you need to do a trail fix. And my 4Runner has a built in inverter so I can charge batteries while I drive if need be.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #108241 on: December 03, 2021, 08:24:45 am »
   ...Also got my Wiha screwdriver set from Contorion.

mnem

Meh... Saskia, what do you even want with that brutish System 6? Das ist doch eher was fuer Bauhandwerker. System 4 is the Wiha thing to have. In this size I would have really gone for Wera, as they have a ratcheting handle and an ESD handle as well. Their small-size system on the other hand, I would not want and definitely prefer Wiha Sys4. But not with their new handle, which again is far too clumsy and thick. Also soft-grip - feels yuck and soils fast.

I do need some Bauhandwerk-Stuff from time to time - especially now for dismantling and rebuilding stuff. I would very much like an oscillating saw to get rid of some stuff quickly.

I do have a Ryobi belt sander, did not use it sufficiently, so it is rusting in the basement. I did do some pinball cabinets using Festool tools and they were a joy to work with. As for a more refined screwdriver set: I'll probably go for that sooner or later, too, but that has to wait for now.

I was tempted to get the Hazet or Stahlwille tool box, but that would have been financial seppuku.
I'll probably sell off most of my non quality tools in one of the various market places and only keep the good stuff.
For electric appliances and wood work I will focus on Festool, as the ergonomics are pretty convincing.

Even tho their stuff is effing expensive.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #108242 on: December 03, 2021, 08:29:29 am »
Had a Hazet 1/2" drive socket set for nigh on 40 years until it got badly annealed in a workshop fire.  :'(
Bloody good stuff !

Stahlwille rings are good stuff too and open enders nice and slim but a little weak for heavy stuff.
Look at Dowidat too.....beautifully fine rings for tight spaces.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2021, 08:32:34 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108243 on: December 03, 2021, 09:01:08 am »
Testing the address portion of the PROM programmer.  ( This is for the faulty 74188 PROM in my Dana 5100 DMM)

Incomplete and untested.   I'm off to work now.  More later  . . . .

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108244 on: December 03, 2021, 09:07:07 am »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #108245 on: December 03, 2021, 09:52:17 am »

Now I despise nicotene/tar odor, and I did get a sander (Festool ETS EC 150) plus the accompanying dust sucker. [..]

Rock and Roll!

We had visited the Festool site and got a mini-tour of their company's showroom many moons ago. Very impressive...

Have fun with that nice piece of tool,

THDplusN_bad

P.S. Anyone got a "Hazet Adventskalender" for this year, too? :-) https://handtools-from-germany.com/en/hazet/hand-tools/screwdriver-bits/screwdriver-sets/hazet-santatools-2021-advent-calendar.html

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108246 on: December 03, 2021, 11:16:03 am »
Testing the address portion of the PROM programmer.  ( This is for the faulty 74188 PROM in my Dana 5100 DMM)

I used to hate it when work interfered with TEA. Key words "used to". Haven't had that issue in nearly 3 years now.

I know, I'm rubbing it in.  :P :-DD 

I would say get to work so my SSI is paid for but you're in the UK so it doesn't help. But for the guys in the USA.....get your arse to work so I can continue to live in the lap of luxury.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #108247 on: December 03, 2021, 11:18:06 am »
I used to hate it when work interfered with TEA. Key words "used to". Haven't had that issue in nearly 3 years now.

Yeah .... you sure are.   :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108248 on: December 03, 2021, 11:29:43 am »

Yeah .... you sure are.   :(

Perhaps. But you don't know how many times I've seen this: Type A executive retires and within a year is dead because he had no hobby outside work other than swinging a stupid golf club.  ::)     
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108249 on: December 03, 2021, 11:33:26 am »

I would say get to work so my SSI is paid for but you're in the UK so it doesn't help. But for the guys in the USA.....get your arse to work so I can continue to live in the lap of luxury.  ;D
I wish they would, it helps mine  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf