Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552737 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, ch_scr, TizianoHV and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #108400 on: December 05, 2021, 10:37:02 am »
Not sure what you mean by "low price" but I have a few :D

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108401 on: December 05, 2021, 10:43:45 am »

We'd have to deal with UK customs paperwork and VAT.  I doubt it is worth the pain and effort.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108402 on: December 05, 2021, 10:47:27 am »

The 9906 + case,  which powers on but is otherwise untested, went for £22.  I'm still upset that I didn't make an offer.

I'm willing to pay a little more  but the real issue is dealing with  post-Brexit  tax and customs paperwork.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #108403 on: December 05, 2021, 11:03:22 am »
I just tried to draw a very simple LD1085 stabiliser PCB in KiCad 5 on my private laptop; a 13" MacBook Pro of 2015 vintage. Some difference  to the work computer which is a 16" MBP of late 2020 vintage... I apparently need to make some form of upgrade.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108404 on: December 05, 2021, 11:11:45 am »
Hmmm - Using KiCad right now on my work iMac  Mid 2015 iMac.   macOS 10.15  (Yes I'm at work today)

Works for me.

I have noticed issues moving projects between Windows and Mac versions of KiCad. 

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108405 on: December 05, 2021, 11:25:45 am »
There is a huge performance difference between older Apple laptops and the current ones.     H u g e.

Debbie's iPad is faster than Apple laptops from a few years ago.

Geekbench 5 scores:

2018  Macbook Air 5,1  Intel Core i5-8210Y       726 single core / 1452 multi core.    Compute - 4563

2010 MacPro 5,1 Dual Xeon E5620(8 cores)   514 single-core / 3783 multi-core

2015 iMac 15,1 27" core i5  912 single-core / 3012 multi-core

2021 iPad Pro  1703 single-core / 7262  multi-core   Compute - 21,205   

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 11:36:04 am by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108406 on: December 05, 2021, 11:58:28 am »

The 9906 + case,  which powers on but is otherwise untested, went for £22.  I'm still upset that I didn't make an offer.

I'm willing to pay a little more  but the real issue is dealing with  post-Brexit  tax and customs paperwork.

For tax and customs there are a number of solutions, but it has been my experience that YMMV. If you want details, feel free to PM me but I think prices may be a bit above what you're looking for. FYI: I sold a number of these for 160€ + shipping (options M 55 10 04T). Price can be a bit lower but 22£ is erh...

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #108407 on: December 05, 2021, 12:28:42 pm »
Price can be a bit lower but 22£ is erh...

I'll admit I'm a bit of a dreamer now and then.   :D

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108408 on: December 05, 2021, 12:30:08 pm »

For tax and customs there are a number of solutions, but it has been my experience that YMMV. If you want details, feel free to PM me but I think prices may be a bit above what you're looking for. FYI: I sold a number of these for 160€ + shipping (options M 55 10 04T). Price can be a bit lower but 22£ is erh...

Option 10 and the temperature controlled oscillator would be nice to have. Need to think about it.       

£22 was really cheap. I was surprised the seller accepted the offer.  The  auction had 5 more days to run.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #108409 on: December 05, 2021, 12:43:06 pm »
Hotel is running late getting breakfast out; the sharks are circling.  :-DD

mnem
the dwagon is quietly biding his time, waiting patiently for the eggs and bacon to arrive... 
*Sniffs the air*  Ahhhh... soon...   
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 01:17:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #108410 on: December 05, 2021, 12:44:17 pm »

Option 10 and the temperature controlled oscillator would be nice to have. Need to think about it.       

£22 was really cheap. I was surprised the seller accepted the offer.  The  auction had 5 more days to run.

Sometimes you just want rid of stuff. If someone were to show up here with only 10 bucks in their pocket they could have both scope carts taking up space in my garage. As it is I'm going to offer them to the Facebook Old Tek group for $25/ea or take both for $40. The only caveat is that I WON'T ship. Pick up only.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #108411 on: December 05, 2021, 12:56:32 pm »
Hmmm - Using KiCad right now on my work iMac  Mid 2015 iMac.   macOS 10.15  (Yes I'm at work today)

Works for me.

I have noticed issues moving projects between Windows and Mac versions of KiCad.

It certainly works. I notice that there's some issue with the 3D libs, as renders only show the PCB; not the components.

Speed, as you notice, is somewhat different, though. At my current component count, 9, that does not matter.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108412 on: December 05, 2021, 12:58:51 pm »
I've got a near UV lamp somewhere, will have to give that a try, nothing for near-IR though.

Find a picture manipulaion software a bit better than paint.
I have Gimp, it's free.
Open the old picture and change its colour space to CMYK.
Turn off all but yellow channel and zoom.
Few columns are pretty clear.

When constructing a new picture remember that you can concentrate pigments by tilting the angle.
It doesn't do harm eighter if you can save raw data, jpg is missing some blue.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108413 on: December 05, 2021, 01:06:22 pm »

That probably isn't the sold price, ePay hides the actual price for offers, certainly seen this on things I've bought, others in the house can't see what it made, only the start price.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Andrew_Debbie

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108414 on: December 05, 2021, 01:15:00 pm »
Some of the other lots I collected today, spent a bit of time removing the auction labels this afternoon.

Tek 109 pulse gen, originally used by Tek in the UK site according to the back.

David

Murphy again... in a good way though for a change.
Just when Factory shows us this adorable, sweet cute little 109 pulser.... here is another on the same theme. Another little Tek portable in the same form factor. A 107 fast square wave generator, in the latest Carlson's Lab video that just landed :

Nice video I found, only 28 minutes, just good stuff I found.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/107

Had a quick look at the Type 107 on Tek wiki, it looks a larger than the Type 109 I have, certainly wouldn't get all those vacuum bulbs & TF in the 109.

I'm getting asked to do none TEA things today, so won't get a chance to look at the 109.

David

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #108415 on: December 05, 2021, 01:16:21 pm »
Murphy again... in a good way though for a change.
Just when Factory shows us this adorable, sweet cute little 109 pulser.... here is another on the same theme. Another little Tek portable in the same form factor. A 107 fast square wave generator, in the latest Carlson's Lab video that just landed :

Nice video I found, only 28 minutes, just good stuff I found.

The first thing that boggled my mind is that the face plate says the output is 52 ohms ?! Yes 52 not 50 !  So you need 52ohms coaxial cables and plug that into a 52 ohm load/scope, if that even exists ?! I guess there must exist 52/50 ohms adapters ?!  Still, why not make the oput 50ohms to begin with ?! how pervert is it to make a 52 ohms output ?!  :-//  WHY ?!  :scared:

Is it " thing " to be 52 ohms in the test and measurements arena maybe, at that time anyway ? What's so special about 52 ohms that you can't do with traditional 50 ohms ? I am genuinely curious, I am sure I will learn something...

Weird : just checked the Tekwiki page about this 107.

https://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/107

Strangely, the description pretends it's 50 ohms not 52... and it's not a typo either : they say it multiple times.. even though the face plate of the instrument clearly reads 52 not 50, and the service manual spec page says 52, the schematic says 52 too... it's 52 not 50 !

Worse : Tekwiki goes on to give an explanation of why it's 50 ohms (when it's not), it goes : " It's 50 ohms because the plate load resistor of the output/driver tube is 50 ohms ".   

Eh ?!  As you can see in the schematic, the plate resistor for the output tube is hardly 50ohms, far from that, it's 100+ times more, it's 5.6K !!

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1340837;image

I reckon you could do a sneaky switcharoo on R94 to make it 100ohms to get a proper 50ohms impedance.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #108416 on: December 05, 2021, 01:28:06 pm »
...£22 was really cheap. I was surprised the seller accepted the offer.  The  auction had 5 more days to run.

Sometimes you just want rid of stuff. If someone were to show up here with only 10 bucks in their pocket they could have both scope carts taking up space in my garage. As it is I'm going to offer them to the Facebook Old Tek group for $25/ea or take both for $40. The only caveat is that I WON'T ship. Pick up only.
I'll be right over, soon as I finish my hotel breakfast eggs and bacon. >:D

mnem
SWMBO stops snoring long enough to mumble "no!" , then rolls over and goes back to sleep*

:o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108417 on: December 05, 2021, 01:30:57 pm »

*Dura-leaks were removed after testing,

David
There is still a bug in the system somewhere, when clicking on the last photo of the meter dial to see the AVO logo, I get a portion of the bottom right hand section of the photo blanked out  :palm:   Anyone else getting the same?
2 different pics, buddy. ;)

mnem
 :-/O

They were taken at different angles too, attached are reduced sized pics of them, before they were cropped.

I only noticed the text on the lower right edge of the scale when I opened it yesterday, a web search for the RM290 reveals something very similar from AVO, but without the nice hardwood case.

David

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108418 on: December 05, 2021, 01:50:59 pm »
I give up.. Wanted to post a reply with an image.. The page thinks about it for a bit and then goes to... the "create a new topic" page.  |O

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108419 on: December 05, 2021, 02:23:17 pm »

For offers ebay seem to just show the starting price on the completed item, not the offer price.

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108420 on: December 05, 2021, 02:31:40 pm »
I give up.. Wanted to post a reply with an image.. The page thinks about it for a bit and then goes to... the "create a new topic" page.  |O

Upload to imgur. Link here.

For example:

Code: [Select]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/op9giaom.jpg[/img]
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:33:42 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108421 on: December 05, 2021, 02:39:26 pm »
I know. But I really don't want to. I mean, what is this.. 1999?  |O

The following users thanked this post: Andrew_Debbie

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108422 on: December 05, 2021, 02:41:55 pm »
Voltage... INFINTE VOLTAGE!!!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:43:48 pm by Ice-Tea »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Andrew_Debbie, cyclin_al

Offline Andrew_Debbie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108423 on: December 05, 2021, 02:43:20 pm »
01:40   to go on the 1991 -- My Gixen bid is higher than current bid.    Not expecting to win.   

Outbid on the 2101.   Not tempted to go higher.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:47:01 pm by Andrew_Debbie »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108424 on: December 05, 2021, 02:47:13 pm »
In the end it's a bit sad the seller decided to sell the instrument in parts. If the problem is really a shorted diode, someone could have fixed it easily  :(

Yep, one of the diode on the main bridge rectifier died and the 2 NTC didn't really liked that.

As for the RF desk, it's pretty neat, it come out of the instrument as a whole. Now finding the mission boards is pretty much mission impossible and would be way too expensive anyway. I'm wondering If I could replace all that by my own circuit, maybe add a PLL and I would have a pretty nice 10MHz to 20Ghz frequency generator. Put that in a new box with a nice screen ... hmmm

To drive the YIG oscillators you just need the "bias" (oscillator) and heater supplies and a current source for the main coil. They are stable enough that they do not need a PLL. The current /frequency relationship is linear enough that you can use a voltage to current converter (op-amp transimpedance amplifier) with a 10 tuen pot and voltmeter scalled in frequency as a good indication. The V to I will allow sweeping with a function generator.
There is a fair bit of info on the internet.

My Wiltron 6621B is not that precise frequency wise (+- 10 MHz). I wonder if it's the way they generate the current for the coil or if those YIG are just not that linear ? I think I remember seeing a Yig based Signal Generator with way better frequency stability. My assumption was that they added a PLL somehow. Or maybe they just use the 2 Coil (main coil and FM coil) to get more precision ?

Anyway I will probably experiment a little bit with those Yig. Will see how linear they are.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 02:50:28 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf