Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14881978 times)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #111600 on: January 19, 2022, 01:41:10 am »

I don't understand what the drama is about. I looked at your pic and I struggle to see what it is that you couldn't reproduce in seconds with any mid '90s word processor on a 486 CPU with Windows 3.1 ?!  :-//

The buttons are just rectangles, any word processor can draw basic shapes like this, which you can position pixel by pixel exactly where you want it to be.
The button caption is just a "text box" which is a graphical element and as such again, can be positioned accurately where ever you want.

It's only a few minutes job.. longest part is looking at all the fonts to find one that's good enough to your taste...

Right - so I've got it to 99% of what I want this label to look like, at least using a test on white paper. The best matching font for it was plain old Times New Roman.

What do you think Vince? I didn't even use a 90's word processor on a 486 w/Windoze 3.1, I used Windows 10 and a Ryzen 7 1700 8 core 3.2 GHz processor to re-create what was possible 30 years ago! And to think people ask why we constantly need more powerful computers!

:-DD

That actually looks very good!   You should try some $50 bills next?  :D

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al, duckduck

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #111601 on: January 19, 2022, 01:45:47 am »

Maybe not that, but might try some BASIC programming. So many GOTOs in those instructions it brought back memories!

:clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #111602 on: January 19, 2022, 01:48:57 am »

Maybe not that, but might try some BASIC programming. So many GOTOs in those instructions it brought back memories!

:clap:

HP BASIC is actually kinda fun. I have the full programming manual for my 8566B and for my 8510C. It's interesting to sit down with just that and no search engines and write a program the old fashioned way.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #111603 on: January 19, 2022, 01:53:20 am »

Took over an hour to start the snowblower.  Carburator must have been partially gummed up.  Yes, there was some fuel so it did not dry out to a hard varnish during storage.  Yes, there was stabilizer in the fuel.  Yes, it was high octane fuel with no ethanol.  Tank was mostly filled with new winter fuel purchased this month.

Not much later, the snowblower found the stick that the dog had been playing with.  Okay, actually a 3" diameter firewood log.  Yes, shear pins work.  It is a PITA to replace a shear pin, especially outside far from the garage.

Finished snow clearing at 9:51pm, then still had to walk the dog...

Now time for  :=\

Is it a Tecumseh "Snow King" engine? If yes I pity you. There's a reason they went under and out of business. Their carbs were total crap and even pampered the passages would clog up with the result you experienced.  :palm:

It looks like you might be bang on.  It is a Sears Craftsman with a Tecumseh engine...

So I can assume I did nothing wrong, but I can assume that when I get sufficiently frustrated I will be blowing (pun not intented, but left anyways) the TEA budget on a snowblower.  |O

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111604 on: January 19, 2022, 02:08:15 am »

I don't understand what the drama is about. I looked at your pic and I struggle to see what it is that you couldn't reproduce in seconds with any mid '90s word processor on a 486 CPU with Windows 3.1 ?!  :-//

The buttons are just rectangles, any word processor can draw basic shapes like this, which you can position pixel by pixel exactly where you want it to be.
The button caption is just a "text box" which is a graphical element and as such again, can be positioned accurately where ever you want.

It's only a few minutes job.. longest part is looking at all the fonts to find one that's good enough to your taste...

Right - so I've got it to 99% of what I want this label to look like, at least using a test on white paper. The best matching font for it was plain old Times New Roman.

What do you think Vince? I didn't even use a 90's word processor on a 486 w/Windoze 3.1, I used Windows 10 and a Ryzen 7 1700 8 core 3.2 GHz processor to re-create what was possible 30 years ago! And to think people ask why we constantly need more powerful computers!

Yeah looks good, see wasn't difficult !  ;D

You did 99% of the work as you said. Now you can sit back enjoy your work, and have fun doing the fine tuning to make it even more faithful, if so you wished.

3AM, going to bed...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:11:55 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #111605 on: January 19, 2022, 03:19:16 am »
Anyone in the US interested in a functioning HP 5340A? According to the 1977 catalog the H10 option on the back is "frequency extension to 23GHz", if it had international shipping I might have bought it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294742357414

David

Dammit!!!  I'd been staying away from eBuy!   :palm: |O :palm:

-Pat

Congrats! :D :D

So that explains why it is already sold ... you guys move fast!

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #111606 on: January 19, 2022, 03:32:27 am »
Anyone in the US interested in a functioning HP 5340A? According to the 1977 catalog the H10 option on the back is "frequency extension to 23GHz", if it had international shipping I might have bought it.

David

Dammit!!!  I'd been staying away from eBuy!   :palm: |O :palm:

-Pat

Well, I haven't. I bought VNA cables.  :palm:  :o  :palm:

The prices were too good to pass up though. Ended up with two pairs of OEM -hp- 26.5 GHz VNA cables in excellent shape for about the price of a pair of the mini-circuits "budget" VNA cables with 2.92mm connectors.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #111607 on: January 19, 2022, 03:41:07 am »

Took over an hour to start the snowblower.  Carburator must have been partially gummed up.  Yes, there was some fuel so it did not dry out to a hard varnish during storage.  Yes, there was stabilizer in the fuel.  Yes, it was high octane fuel with no ethanol.  Tank was mostly filled with new winter fuel purchased this month.

Not much later, the snowblower found the stick that the dog had been playing with.  Okay, actually a 3" diameter firewood log.  Yes, shear pins work.  It is a PITA to replace a shear pin, especially outside far from the garage.

Is it a Tecumseh "Snow King" engine? If yes I pity you. There's a reason they went under and out of business. Their carbs were total crap and even pampered the passages would clog up with the result you experienced.  :palm:

It looks like you might be bang on.  It is a Sears Craftsman with a Tecumseh engine...

So I can assume I did nothing wrong, but I can assume that when I get sufficiently frustrated I will be blowing (pun not intented, but left anyways) the TEA budget on a snowblower.  |O

No, you don't have to buy a new snowblower. But you do have to tear down the carb and clean out all the tiny passages and then rebuild it. I haven't checked but I'll bet there's some utube videos out there showing how it's done.

(Former owner of a Sears Craftsman snowblower with a Tecumseh engine)  :--
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #111608 on: January 19, 2022, 08:31:33 am »

Such sexy. And I'm talking about the Reihenklemmen.    sed -i -e '/mind/d' /dev/gutter  :rant:

Having had infrequent but not non-existent exposure to high-current 400V circuit conductor termination I can see exactly where this will make sparkies very happy. It's such a mess trying to do this properly unless you've got the real stuff, and as soon as you get into screw terminations, a torque-controlled tool is more or less necessary, if you are to attain the same connection quality as spring-closed connections.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111609 on: January 19, 2022, 08:37:28 am »
Stumbled across this pix today and thought I'd share it. My bench about 1990-1991.

Very nice Med, but there is not a single glowing Tek in sight, so what started your love affair off with them?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #111610 on: January 19, 2022, 08:52:07 am »
Stumbled across this pix today and thought I'd share it. My bench about 1990-1991.

Very nice Med, but there is not a single glowing Tek in sight, so what started your love affair off with them?
I'd guess that was like for Med as it was for me, just getting old classics functional again if only for the satisfaction that you know you can.......then it turned into a business much like it is for IceTea.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111611 on: January 19, 2022, 08:53:45 am »

Gee I was 2 years and a month old ! :scared:

Looked like even back then you were a fan of wooden dark brown furniture  ;D

Looks like you also quickly upped your game... scope on first / most recent picture shows a much fancier scope than the one on the oldest/second pic ! ;D

The scope in the older pix is a Heathkit IO-4540 (I think) that I built around 1977 or so. I later sold it and bought the B&K 2120 which I still have and works a treat.

And yes, wood stain is Minwax #230 Early American on Southern Yellow Pine with semi-gloss poly which I still use today.

Edit, and I told you I was older than dirt.  :P :-DD
Older than dirt, but much wiser than dirt and with a wealth of experience to pass onto the younger generation in the way of hints and tips  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111612 on: January 19, 2022, 09:15:17 am »
By that argument, a crimped terminal damages the conductor; as it extrudes both conductor and terminal slightly if done correctly.

My comparison against an alligator clip have nothing to do with the contact area of the jaws; I'm talking about how the two sides of the clamp are "electrically connected".

Covalent area of the WAGO is still a small fraction of that produced by twisting the wires together.

mnem
 :popcorn:
You beat me to the point about crimps and ferrules, all deform the conductor(s) as in fact do Wago's and similar spring clips. if you pull on a conductor in spung connector such as a Wago, the actual sprung contact is designed to increase the grip on the conductor, so much so that in tests done by Crabtree Electrical, the conductor suffered sufficient deformity due to the spring contact biting harder and ended up cutting into material and the and eventually through it.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #111613 on: January 19, 2022, 09:22:49 am »

I'd guess that was like for Med as it was for me, just getting old classics functional again if only for the satisfaction that you know you can.......then it turned into a business much like it is for IceTea.

Still look at my stock from time to time and wonder what happened  :o

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111614 on: January 19, 2022, 09:33:18 am »

Still look at my stock from time to time and wonder what happened  :o
No. 1 plan is to keep the magic smoke in !  :P
Otherwise you need that magic syringe Cerebus has to stuff it back in.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111615 on: January 19, 2022, 09:35:42 am »
Actually, keeping a stock of RIFA replacement components goes a long way. And batteries. Loads and loads of batteries.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111616 on: January 19, 2022, 09:37:59 am »
Actually, keeping a stock of RIFA replacement components goes a long way. And batteries. Loads and loads of batteries.
You're 230VAC right ?
Does some of your stock come from 110VAC regions ?
RIFA's don't like that !  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111617 on: January 19, 2022, 09:40:22 am »
Yeah, perhaps that's a factor but they go anyways, even if all they've ever seen is 240V ;)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111618 on: January 19, 2022, 09:48:10 am »
Yeah, perhaps that's a factor but they go anyways, even if all they've ever seen is 240V ;)
You ain't kidding.
Kenwood Chef we got for a wedding gift served us well for decades until dear wifey was doing her annual Christmas cake binge and the RIFA's gave out in the middle of it !
A buddy lent us one the same so she could finish her cake binge and I got her one fixed but it was some years before it gained her trust again.  :-DD
Another dozen cakes done a month or so ago without issue and with luck she's completely forgotten about RIFA's but probably not the smell.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111619 on: January 19, 2022, 10:28:35 am »

Xrunner gets his
*** TEA Certificate of Forgery and Falsification ***
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:42:23 am by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111620 on: January 19, 2022, 10:41:51 am »

mnem
 :popcorn:

Take a step back when they do the over-current test on that one!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline THDplusN_bad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #111621 on: January 19, 2022, 10:49:09 am »
[..]

The Blue one is polarised. That type has a small permanent magnet to make them more sensitive. It also means the drop out voltage is very low. I've tested 24V examples that held in down to 3V. You have to be careful of sneak paths when the drop out is that low.

This I knew.
1.) it has the proper symbol for that
2.) I know those series.
Regarding the 'Relay battle', I was referring to the 'Centigrid' type (visible in the upper right), respectively a RF optimised variant of them.

Centigrid are nice, very expensive though. Funnily enough yesterday I found a PCB from a 2" aircraft indicator I designed in about 1995. It has a centigrid on it.
Virtual cookie to anyone who can identify the aircraft type  :D

G'd Day,

let me guess after I have taken a closer look with my thick glasses: That's for the F22 fighter airplane as visible in the copper mask in the lower left corner? 

If that's correct - where can I get that cookie then, please? 8)

Cheers,

THDplusN_bad

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #111622 on: January 19, 2022, 11:42:27 am »

David
Dammit!!!  I'd been staying away from eBuy!   :palm: |O :palm:   -Pat
Congrats! :D :D
Ditto !

mnem
*says a prayer for Pat's wallet now that he's again been touched by evilBay...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #111623 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:14 pm »
Surprise package from Deutschland this morning.

I'm kinda speechless. BU508A, you didn't have to go to this expense but I'll shut up and be thankful.  :-+ My fussing about not having a matched pair 12AU6 for the pre-amp of the Type CA plug-in is obviously now resolved.

I see it was sent around December 17th. I'm surprised it took this long to get here....or maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Later today I'll install and check the DC balance.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #111624 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:39 pm »

Naaahhh... just get a cheap Chinese carb off slAmazon, and install a fuel petcock if it doesn't already have one. Use it religiously.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=tecumseh+carburetor&crid=1ECH9RSN7ZGKW&sprefix=tecumseh+carburetor%2Caps%2C104&ref=nb_sb_noss

Once you have the thing running again with the cheap Chinesium, then you can worry about rebuilding the original for a spare. Or put it off til summer. ;)

The later models of Tecumsehs... the engine itself is pretty good, but like med says... carb and coil were contract-built by the lowest bidder, so tended to be somewhat hit or miss for durability.   :-//

Briggs have their own constellation of problems, not the least of which is chronic blow-by due to oil rings made of case-hardened cheese; replacing a mostly functioning snowblower for the sake of "the brand" is just ¢-wise and £-foolish. ;)

good hunting!

mnem

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3246876/#msg3246876
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 02:07:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf