Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14823145 times)

mnementh and 185 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112125 on: January 25, 2022, 01:33:02 am »
It is an often repeated stereotype that the Italians build 'em pretty...well, not always.
As there was a rather lengthy list of VTVMs, I think this one was missing. And it could be a looker if they had cared to use different knobs.
On offer on Ebay.de: https://www.ebay.de/itm/325005201290 (NAWTS)

Hmm, that would take more than a 'knob job' to make it pretty. Let's hope that the attention that an Italian would normally put into the exterior went into the function instead - that would be a turn up for the books.

A previous boss of mine, Peter, had a Testarossa, a splurge buy when he sold off a previous company. Fortunately he also had enough left over for a Porsche for himself and a Merc for the wife. Almost every time he decided to bring the Ferrari to work he got at best half way between home and the office - 5 miles tops, probably not even that. I saw the Testarossa parked outside the office perhaps twice, if the Porsche was also missing it was a fairly safe indication that Peter had got a cab from wherever the Ferrari had broken down, and that his Mrs would be turning up in the Merc at the end of the day to take him home. Totally put me off any idea of acquiring a Ferrari of my own.

I had a workmate with a Triumph Stag.............

Did he cut out the middleman and just leave it at home?

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #112126 on: January 25, 2022, 01:41:06 am »

I can send you a bare OCXO PSU PCB, a replica I made of the original one if you like. ;)
If only someone would finally say that about my 5334A!

I don't have a 5334A, but my 5335A came with the OCXO option fitted already. I have a half-baked plan to build my own  voltmeter option for it one day, just for fun. It's pretty low on the to-do list though so one day, some day..

Since counters are a hot topic at the moment, I came across this one in the Toronto area:
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/city-of-toronto/hp-5248l-electronic-counter-for-parts-only/1559781767

No affiliation, and too far for me to travel at the moment. 25_CPS ?

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #112127 on: January 25, 2022, 01:44:56 am »
Hi:

I'm here once again to ask probably stupid questions!

The Keithley 181 nanovoltmeter arrived today. After opening it to change the mains voltage to 230V as well as to inspect everything is ok, I power it up. I measure some normal voltages and everything is fine. Here comes the weird thing. I try to zero the meter by connecting the input cable and shorting it. When I made this measurement, the unit had been powered on for 40 minutes with the cable connected in order to let everything stabilize. And yet, look at that result! VERY far from zero. Is that normal?

I also tried a small piece of copper shorting the inputs. Letting it stabilize for 10 minutes gave me a similar result.

I'm unfamiliar with low level voltage measurements. I've watched Marco Reps video and he's able to get very close to zero. I've taken the same precautions and yet it doesn't seem to matter.

I would greatly appreaciate any advice

Might come from your test lead. Doesn't look original. The connector should be silver and cable black and relatively thin. Keithley was using a low noise triax cable.

Like so

When I had a Keithley 181, I was able to get +-60nV with my home made test lead.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/possible-low-thermal-emf-connectors/msg1936489/#msg1936489

I came across some nice Keithley gear: multimeters, nanovoltmeters, microvoltmeter, DMM plus lots more.  Problem is, I do not have space for a whole skid of gear.
Anyone interested in sharing?
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=408558&lcn=557603&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

EDIT:  Link does not work.  Search for "Assorted Scientific Equipment - Lot No.1" on the site.

EDIT2:  Lot No.2 is interesting, but the ratio of interesting compared to uninteresting is not sufficiently high.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 01:48:19 am by cyclin_al »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112128 on: January 25, 2022, 02:02:51 am »
Hi:

I'm here once again to ask probably stupid questions!

The Keithley 181 nanovoltmeter arrived today. After opening it to change the mains voltage to 230V as well as to inspect everything is ok, I power it up. I measure some normal voltages and everything is fine. Here comes the weird thing. I try to zero the meter by connecting the input cable and shorting it. When I made this measurement, the unit had been powered on for 40 minutes with the cable connected in order to let everything stabilize. And yet, look at that result! VERY far from zero. Is that normal?

I also tried a small piece of copper shorting the inputs. Letting it stabilize for 10 minutes gave me a similar result.

I'm unfamiliar with low level voltage measurements. I've watched Marco Reps video and he's able to get very close to zero. I've taken the same precautions and yet it doesn't seem to matter.

I would greatly appreaciate any advice

Might come from your test lead. Doesn't look original. The connector should be silver and cable black and relatively thin. Keithley was using a low noise triax cable.

Like so

When I had a Keithley 181, I was able to get +-60nV with my home made test lead.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/possible-low-thermal-emf-connectors/msg1936489/#msg1936489

I came across some nice Keithley gear: multimeters, nanovoltmeters, microvoltmeter, DMM plus lots more.  Problem is, I do not have space for a whole skid of gear.
Anyone interested in sharing?
https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc=wfsav&sc=enc-bid&scn=408558&lcn=557603&lct=L&srchtype=&lci=&str=1&lotnf=1&frmsr=1&sf=ferm-clos

EDIT:  Link does not work.  Search for "Assorted Scientific Equipment - Lot No.1" on the site.

EDIT2:  Lot No.2 is interesting, but the ratio of interesting compared to uninteresting is not sufficiently high.

Interesting but probably going to be too expensive. Couples of reseller are looking for lots exactly like that. They end up bidding crazy money. Was easier when the bids were hidden.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #112129 on: January 25, 2022, 02:12:20 am »
Already too rich for my taste buds...

Also, there is a special Hell for people who use crappy cellphone pics in auction listings... The same Hell reserved for child molesters and people who talk while at the movies...   :o

mnem
oh, how many times I've wished I could perform a phonectomy with a lightsaber..    :P
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112130 on: January 25, 2022, 02:16:17 am »
Yeah pictures are pretty bad. Can't even see half the equipment listed. Impossible to recognize any model number.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112131 on: January 25, 2022, 02:33:42 am »
Since counters are a hot topic at the moment, I came across this one in the Toronto area:

"We specialize in electronics" and "Could not test it because we do not have a power cable"  :-DD
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112132 on: January 25, 2022, 02:43:41 am »
Talking about pictures, In the category of the best ebay photographer.

We have this guy trying to sell what look like the internal organs of one of those firefighting thermal camera.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234390558399

Now to prove that it's all good and working, he included a picture of his hot living room.

His nicely furnished terrace

His jeep

and his slightly hot mother/wife (96F is a bit high right ?)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 02:45:30 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #112133 on: January 25, 2022, 03:07:48 am »

"We specialize in electronics" and "Could not test it because we do not have a power cable"  :-DD

Some of their postings say they will accept any reasonable offer; some ads do not.
They probably "specialize" in finding a cheap source or are involved in disposal/recycling...

Did the Dwagon ever check out this store during his sojourn to the GWN?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #112134 on: January 25, 2022, 03:18:34 am »
TTi looks like the fan was removed, but I am not 100%sure.... . I double check my unit at home tonight (I post something aroung 23:00 your time).

Italians are always on time!

Champagne brother! No fans in mine too!
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #112135 on: January 25, 2022, 03:23:01 am »
Talking about pictures, In the category of the best ebay photographer.

We have this guy trying to sell what look like the internal organs of one of those firefighting thermal camera.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234390558399

Now to prove that it's all good and working, he included a picture of his hot living room.

His nicely furnished terrace

His jeep

and his slightly hot mother/wife (96F is a bit high right ?)

I find it curious that they are showing ordinary domestic scenes on a scale that runs to ~400ºF.  A range up to 50ºC/120ºF would have been more appropriate, I would have thought.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #112136 on: January 25, 2022, 03:28:55 am »
TTi looks like the fan was removed, but I am not 100%sure.... . I double check my unit at home tonight (I post something aroung 23:00 your time).

The fan's probably at the other end of the heatsink tunnel like with the Siglent SDL1000X series. They don't even spin up unless you have some reasonable load on the unit.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #112137 on: January 25, 2022, 03:29:23 am »
And for Irvine, California, USA we are hopelessly too far.

Keithley 2015
Check pics 28/33 and 29/33.

https://www.allsurplus.com/asset/16/13284

Holy shit, how can I get triggered if those jazz festivals will happen in SC or GA or NC in USA?  :scared:

EDIT: I am an idiot

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:32:20 am by Zucca »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #112138 on: January 25, 2022, 03:30:50 am »
The fan's probably at the other end of the heatsink tunnel like with the Siglent SDL1000X series. They don't even spin up unless you have some reasonable load on the unit.

Did not bother to open it up but it is insanely quiet, so you are right.
Welcome to TTi, the Lamborghini of PSU and DC loads.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112139 on: January 25, 2022, 03:44:24 am »

::)
Looks just like a Fiat to me.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112140 on: January 25, 2022, 03:52:59 am »
Oh wow it's 4H30  almost, eyes are getting tired... need to go to sleep, but I will post this quikc before I go to sleep !

Look what I foudn in a some random box ! I had completely forgotten about this thing ! An old retired engineer friend gave me a ton of stuff 3 years ago, including some TE, but never had the opportunity so far to check out everything he gave me... so here is what I just found !

A HP  3200B VHF oscillator !!!  :D

Can do 500MHz ! :D  I can do " RF " now  !  ;D

At least I can check the B/W of my scopes and probes and frequency counters, and play with filters ! Can do a bunch of stuff with this thing !  :D

Seems to work just fine all the way to 500MHz. Only thing I see wrong is the amplitude knob. Well the one at the bottom right, that doubles as a power switch... I guess it's the amplitude knob.
However it does not do much ! If I crank it all the way, I get only about 20/25% increase in amplitude compared to its minimum setting !
Will have to investigate that.... service manual is available I guess.... since he gave me printed copy of it... so there is hope.... or not : I cracked it open. all the RF black magic happens behind closed doors, inside a beautiful, huge super heavy die cast alloy enclosure ! No human allowed inside for sure... so I don't know.  :-//

500MHz so... for once, out with the 200MHz combiscope, and in with the TDS 544A (500MHz B/W). A good opportunity to give it some use eh ?
So it looked all kinda nice until about at 400MHz where the sine wave become very unstable, amplitude goes all over the shop, scope can't trigger on it anymore.. even though it should, regardless of the amplitude going hay wire, because signal is clean, plenty of signal amplitude to trigger (on zero crossings here).
Looks weird so I made a short video clip of it to show you, below.

I found it strange that the HP generator could exhibit this kind of behaviour, so to double check, I fired my TDS 694C, 3GHz 10GS/s, should do it eh....
As soon as I powered it up... ran into a problem : once it's booted, you need to press the " Clear Menu" button in the bottom right corner of the CRT keypad, to make the POST message go away. Pressed that button.... no go, not a sausage ?!  :o
After a few seconds, message goes axway by itself lucliky, buty still. Then I enter some menus and ... yeah sure enough I can't exit the menus, button never works. All other buttons around the CRT work fine, just not the CLEAR MENU  one.... so need to check the menbrane keypad in there. However I bet it's designed the same way as my TDS 310A, which the same problem (with the "Standy by / OFF" switch though), and it ended up in me butchering the keypad beyond repair, had to rip it off the chassis and now scope is not economically repairable... you just don't find these keypads, never mind at low enough price that it would make sense for a bottom of the barrel 310A.

Anyway... even with the trigger chips dead, I could still see the signal by single  shotting it using the "Force Trigger" button on the front panel.
I did that a few times in a row and noticed that the amplitude of the signal was always the same.... which does not add up. That would tend to mean the signal is just fine, not unstable, and it's just the TDS 544A that fails to trigger properly past 400MHz or so. So... now I have to fix that as well ! I hope it's not a hopeless case of " need that obsolete unobtainium Russian tunnel diode that has zero cross-ref / substitute... ), ... but I fear it's gonna be just that...  :-[

So I had my two fancy TDS scopes that could eithe rnot be trusted, or severely impaired.
What do you do then ??  Of course only one solution ! You fire up your analog scope  !  ;D
So I pulled my 2467B that I got a year ago (but never mentionned here I think...), which I actually never used. Tonight is the night babe !!!!
I have not even cleaned the gross front panel, yikes !
Powers up fine... but readout and trace are blurry, can't focus properly, never sharp. Also they are "noisy", so to speak. So me think the electrolytic caps in the PSU need replacing. Other than that, it's a champ : can display the generator at 500MHz just fine, even though it's a 400MHz scope. Sure I lose some amplitude, but I still have enough to get a trace full screen, and for the scope to trigger on it perfectly... and boy that MCP tube... at 500MHz, with the time base at full blast + x10 mag... the trace is so bright you have  to turn it way DOWN not to get blinded and burn the CRT !  :scared:
It needs to be see to be believed... these scopes are absolutely phenomenal... until you have seen one do what it just did tonight, you would not think it's possible... these MCP tubes are just out of this world. I am so glad I bought one !  I understand they can get weak/dim fast... but mine is clearly very healthy !  :-+

Anyway, thank Tektronix for this marvelous scope... it showed that the generator even at 500MHz works just fine. The amplitude is perfectly good, and stable.
So it's indeed my TDS 544A that's losing it above 400MHz... CRAP !!!  :--  How a I going to fix that now, oh dear me....  :scared:

30 seconds later.... I hear a fire works inside the 2467B, and 2 seconds later, a big cloud of white smoke comes out the rear of the scope and starts filling the living room !!!  :scared:   

So looks like it's not just the electrolytics in the PSU that needs replacing... the bloody RIFA just gave up the ghost as well !  :palm:

But that's fine... this scope has proved how exceptional, breathtaking it was technically, so I am mooooore than happy to take it apart and do all the servicing that needs doing to get it back into shape...

So to suim it up.

- I just got a cool HP 3200B 500MHz oscillator that's got a defective attenuator.
- A TDS 544A scope that can't trigger (or other problem ?) above 400MHz... reducing the usefulness of the scope somewhat...
- A TDS 694C that needs a keypad fixing...
- A 2467B that escaped the magic smoke.

4 TE to fix in just one hour, what a performance !!!  :scared:

I think I deserve a good night/morning of sleep now... to recover a bit...

Good night....  :=\

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, THDplusN_bad, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112141 on: January 25, 2022, 03:56:33 am »

Thanks a lot for having looked at your unit Zucca, appreciate it !  :-+

So that's good news then...

Still have not had a reply from the seller... been 26 hours since I sent my message, and apparently according to the messaging system of that website, he still has not logged in to read my message... so of course he can't reply to something he has not even seen/read just yet !  :-//

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 03:58:13 am by Vince »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112142 on: January 25, 2022, 04:20:51 am »
Oh wow it's 4H30  almost, eyes are getting tired... need to go to sleep, but I will post this quikc before I go to sleep !

Look what I foudn in a some random box ! I had completely forgotten about this thing ! An old retired engineer friend gave me a ton of stuff 3 years ago, including some TE, but never had the opportunity so far to check out everything he gave me... so here is what I just found !

Got its big brother, a HP8654B and was given mine by member Wilgil whom we've supplied a lot of gear to.
The tuning dial sometimes sticks on mine and needs a bit of a rock before it frees so you can tune it to the frequency required.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112143 on: January 25, 2022, 04:23:06 am »
2467B update : just gave it a chance... I plugged it back and tried to power it up.... it still works just fine !!!

So the RIFA smoke and fireworks didn't kill it, still works !!!   This scope is a warrior !!  :box:

I guess the RIFA went open circuit rather than shorting, when they released the magic smoke.

Anyway will take it apart soon to fix the PSU. This wonder of a scope deserves a good cleaning and whatever servicing it needs. This thing is not a trouble maker no.. it's an asset in the lab  8)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 04:33:38 am by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112144 on: January 25, 2022, 04:54:43 am »

Got its big brother, a HP8654B and was given mine by member Wilgil whom we've supplied a lot of gear to.
The tuning dial sometimes sticks on mine and needs a bit of a rock before it frees so you can tune it to the frequency required.

Looks better than mine... has a better attenuator section, and also an output connector located on the FRONT panel !
On mine HP put the output at the BACK of the instrument  !   :scared:  How very practical !  :palm:

Knobs work fine and smooth on mine. Only thing is the one that selects the frequency range, drives mechanical stuff that rotate the dial, among other things I am sure... and it's quite "heavy", requires a fair bit of force to get all that stuff rotating. So the knob needs to be really tight on its shaft or it can easily slip ! Knob on mine was having a fair bit of play, so I went to tighten it... no worries I thought, old US TE like Tek, got to be the same 1/16" Allen wrench. So grabbed that and... no, doesn't fit ! HP used one size smaller than 1/16" ! Just to drive me nuts.
Luckily I have a set of imperial Allen wrenches that go down 3 sizes smaller than 1/16". So I grabber the one one size smaller than 1/16" and it did it fine. Size " 0.050 " IIRC. Somehow for sizes smaller than 1/16" the use decimal not fractions anymore  ?! They want to have it both ways me think !!   :horse:

Anyway, wrenches are so cheap that it bent massively when I tightened the knob !  :-DD
Had to bend it back into shape once I was done with the knob !  Chinese wrenches just don't cut it.. but well, it got me out of trouble so I still call that a win somehow...

Oh boy it's 6AM still not gone to bed ! I have been burning all of the midnight oil !   :scared:
Maybe I should just not go to bed... try to stay awake 'til this afternoon and go to bed early, and that will put me back on track.... nah never worked for me, I always end up falling in sleep at 10AM or so no matter how hard I try ! :-//  No, I don't drink coffee, don't like the stuff...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #112145 on: January 25, 2022, 05:19:39 am »

::)
Looks just like a Fiat to me.  :P

I suppose the demonstrated ability to assess quality explains a lot.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112146 on: January 25, 2022, 05:22:51 am »
Vince the range change control knob is quite stiff on mine too. It works just fine so reckon it’s just normal.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #112147 on: January 25, 2022, 05:31:13 am »
Yes could be, hence why I am taking it one step at a time... waiting first for a reply on my first message. That will then give me an idea of the "profile" of the seller...
Positive side is, the TTi load is still a lot of money, 400 Euros is still an awful lot of money and you can get a brand new DC load for less than that. So it's not like the seller priced it suspiciously dirt cheap.
Which means that when he sells the 34401A DMM at only 250 Euros (which again is STILL a lot of money in absolute terms), it may not be suspicious.

It would be suspicious if the ad had a "buy" button, because in this case the ad should have disappeared by now.

So first things first. Wait to see if I get a reply. If I do, most likely I will get told it's already been sold and he his waiting to receive the check from the buyer. If not, well I will see what he says and make my mind about his "profile".. if he is legit or not.

Stay tuned !  ;D

I did like you, think of offering him to buy both instruments to get a discount, though I was more greedy than you, I was thinking of offering 500 Euros not 600 !  ;D
Those really do sound like "too good to be true" prices, but then again, people get lucky sometimes. Some dealers prefer a quick sale over maximum profit.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 05:49:43 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #112148 on: January 25, 2022, 05:38:03 am »
Vince the range change control knob is quite stiff on mine too. It works just fine so reckon it’s just normal.

Yeah, my 8654A has a rather stiff range selector switch, too.  I’m always afraid I’m going to snap the fin off the knob.  The output level switch doesn’t feel right on the one I have - barely perceptible detents and no stops.  That said, it does seem to adjust the output range, so maybe I should leave well enough alone.  (Oh who am I kidding, I’m eventually going to crack it open.)

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112149 on: January 25, 2022, 06:17:43 am »

Yeah, my 8654A has a rather stiff range selector switch, too.  I’m always afraid I’m going to snap the fin off the knob.
While heavy the range switch should be smooth between detents Pat.

The output level switch doesn’t feel right on the one I have - barely perceptible detents and no stops.  That said, it does seem to adjust the output range, so maybe I should leave well enough alone.

The output level control in mine has quite defined detents so something's let go in yours.

Wee look at mine here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-8654b-10-520-mhz-sig-gen-light-teardown/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf