Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550992 times)

jazzmann, cf4044 and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112300 on: January 26, 2022, 03:13:19 pm »
My Daily Driver

And mine: (but both the Free42 phone app and dc on the computer see a lot of keystrokes.)

Never heard of that brand... Swiss only ?!  :-//

Wow the LCD looks superb, want one now ! :D

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #112301 on: January 26, 2022, 03:18:23 pm »
I wanted one for some time. Not because I really need one, but just because ...  :-//

And as I have an 3353A already, I preferred to get the 3325 as a B version to cover the generations - so to say.
Might qualify for this thread after all.   :palm:

Finally this guy arrived today with some battle scars, but overall and after first cleaning in a quite usable condition. Self test runs fine. Manual is printing.

What's the best way to better remove the Edding markings on top and front without damaging the plastics or paint? I had some minor success with ethanol (more than IPA) and cleaning solvent ("Waschbenzin", benzine)?

Fortunately the generations seem not to disagree in basic parameters.  :)

Try your solvents and a melamine sponge (sold in the US as a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser; not sure what it might be called in your neck of the woods).  I've had pretty good success with that method.  Usually go (in order of escalation) window cleaner, IPA, denatured alcohol, naptha for removing crud and heavy-handed magic marker 'art' from things.  I do try to be gentle, though, because the melamine sponge WILL take off the inner finish on some of the aluminum panels if you get too aggressive with it.  Gently for more time is better than fast and aggressive in this instance, though the outside vinyl-ish covering of most of the HP panels seems more impervious to damage than the thin chem coats used on the inside.

The following pictures are of the cover of an old HP 3460B voltmeter - it had a mark down the center from decades of contact with a rubber seal on an internal baffle as seen in the first pic.  I removed it with denatured alcohol and the magic eraser, but if you look at the second pic you can see I started off a bit too aggressively at the right end of the line and the chem film is lighter there.  Looks like it may have taken a little of the screen printed line too, but the after is much better than the before.  Just use a light touch.

Before cleaning:

After cleaning:

Another method for cleaning cover panels (especially if they're sticky) is a bath in warm water with dish detergent and a splash of ammonia, though this can be cumbersome with some of the 2 foot square top and bottom panels of larger instruments.

Good luck!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112302 on: January 26, 2022, 03:30:29 pm »
Wow, this Merix MX 53C yesterday was advertisde at 80 Eursos and got sold i a split second !

https://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/2107025428.htm

I have half a dozen MX 53/C  and was toying with the idea of selling them all (bar a NIB one in its carry case, that's a museum piece) to make some space and bring some much needed money.
I have half a dozen MX 54/C and MX56/C which are much better specs.. so as much as I like the MX53/C, it just does not make sense for me to keep that many...

So  given that it sold at 80 Euros in a split second, maybe I can put them up for sale at 100 Euros...

If anybody here wants one, gimme a call !  :-DD

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:42:37 pm by Vince »

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #112303 on: January 26, 2022, 03:44:33 pm »

On nooo, do not put the finger in the open wound.

I have a free42 I do not need Swissmicros
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #112304 on: January 26, 2022, 03:48:16 pm »
Oh, text editor you say...? >:D   Well, since I had to give up LEWP when I stopped using MS-DOS...  WordPad. Use it every day. I love the funny looks I get from people when I send them a document in .rtf or .txt format. And I like it.  :P
Yes, I had one of those infatuations too, with WP 5.0. Ended completely when I learnt to use Real Computers.

And yes, I have written code in WordPad. Just to see if I could. :-DD

mnem
*certifiable crusty ol' agitatin' bastard*

That is neither crusty nor agitating, just sick.

Spank youuuu... spank you vurrry muuuuuch! ;)

Ehhh... what you call a Real Computer is, in fact, a Real Computer KIT. That you have to get mostly working before you can even read the man pages. Oh, and that  you have to rebuild the engine every time you change the headlights, or add a trailer, and that disassembles itself from time to time, and you again have to rebuild the engine, only with a bunch of new and different parts, and the "online" documentation is always for 3 versions older than what you're working on.  :o

And every once in a while, thanks to politics and infighting, you get invaded by William Wallace and have to start all over again with a new distro.  :-DD

And yes, Winbloze is a hulking, shambling mass of Yog-Sothoth's tentacles... but it mostly works out of the box on any old shitbox... and I have a life, and a wife, and things to get done. I need something that just starts up when I turn the key, like my Rav4.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty... I still love going balls-deep in a engine and making it live again, or tubbing the wheel wells to get me some 18" wide slicks in there... deep in my heart, I'm still a ToughBook junkie. But I have to save that wrench-twirling for my toys, not my daily driver.

Honestly, I'd probably love a (modern) Mac if I could afford to buy into their ecology.  :-//

You might get me yet, mans... I do love everything about my MacPro, except the lack of support for modern internet browsers. But that will definitely be a toy.   ;)

mnem
 :horse:

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:49:52 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112305 on: January 26, 2022, 03:55:35 pm »
My Daily Driver

And mine: (but both the Free42 phone app and dc on the computer see a lot of keystrokes.)

I use V41 on the PC and Go41c on android devices.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112306 on: January 26, 2022, 04:03:24 pm »
What's the best way to better remove the Edding markings on top and front without damaging the plastics or paint? I had some minor success with ethanol (more than IPA) and cleaning solvent ("Waschbenzin", benzine)?

I've had consistently good results with a melamine sponge and isopropanol (or 70/30 isopropanol and water if there's any suspicion that the stain has a polar component).

As a matter of fact my 'standard' cleaning solution at the moment is 70% isopropanol, 30% de-ionised water and 0.1% Benzalkonium chloride. Benzalkonium chloride (aka BAC) is a quaternary ammonium compound that is both a detergent (surfactant) and a highly effective disinfectant and antiseptic. Ironically I originally brewed up that mixture back in 2019 in litre odd quantities as an improved version of my normal 70% isopropanol specifically for spectacle cleaning and packaged it into 50ml spray bottles. Then Covid-19 hit and I found myself with ready-made sanitiser/disinfectant packaged up pocket size ready to go. Consequently throughout the whole Covid thing I have found myself completely free of being a thrall to 'big hand sanitiser'.

I've used Benzalkonium chloride as a household disinfectant for years as it has low toxicity compared to many other common disinfectants (especially phenol related ones which have high toxicity in cats and dogs - there's a story of a big cat getting fatally poisoned at one of the big zoos when a keeper used a phenolic disinfectant to mop out an enclosure). It's the active ingredient in Zoflora disinfectant but using it in its own has the advantage that it's virtual odour free and very, very cheap compared to commercial preparations like Zoflora.

I drop back to straight 70/30 isopropanol and deionised water if I want a cleaner that's guaranteed 'residue free'.

BAC is also great for removng green algae growth on cars around window seals etc. Kills the algae but doesn't affect the rubber or paint.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112307 on: January 26, 2022, 04:07:11 pm »
I wanted one for some time. Not because I really need one, but just because ...  :-//

And as I have an 3353A already, I preferred to get the 3325 as a B version to cover the generations - so to say.
Might qualify for this thread after all.   :palm:

Finally this guy arrived today with some battle scars, but overall and after first cleaning in a quite usable condition. Self test runs fine. Manual is printing.

Fortunately the generations seem not to disagree in basic parameters.  :)

You can never have too many 3325A/B!  :D

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112308 on: January 26, 2022, 04:08:07 pm »

Not sure, what you mean.
They all look very pretty. And every single one has RPN.
 >:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112309 on: January 26, 2022, 04:09:54 pm »
Cheapest one. Like 100 Euros shipped. Still expensive for a chinese knock-off.

As for speed, ad says it's USB 2.0 and Goggle pretends USB 2.0 is designed for 480Mbps ?! That's plenty enough...
So if the adapter is slow, do you mean it's because the Chinese copies are crap, and the Agilent one will be fast... or they are all slow and it's hopeless ??

The chinese knockoff is about a tenth of the Keysight price. And the problem is not the bulk transfer rate of USB2.0, it's the latency of single state changes polling that makes it slow.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112310 on: January 26, 2022, 04:15:43 pm »
Thanks for that!  I recall you and 25_CPS going TE shopping, but never made the connection that this was one of those shops. I will likely stop in there sometime, whenever I make a trip in that direction.  No time soon, unfortunately. Given that you shopped in person, I imagine that shipping would be a risky option.

Those PSUs are still in the "pending" paddock.  I have 4 specific uses in mind, but only 3 PSUs.  Not to worry, I will get there! Some day?
Oh, Shia has a eBay storefront for his vintage CPUs, so EGS shipping should be something you can arrange, given it's appropriate for the particular item.

I understand on the PSUs... even with the mufflers I designed for them, they certainly are still a bit "loud & proud" for use in civilized spaces. ;)

I don't remember whether my collection of PSUs from our GWN adventure actually were among the bins that made it into the trailer or not; I may or may not have more of them to play around with. :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #112311 on: January 26, 2022, 04:19:41 pm »
My Daily Driver

It is an astonishing display. No backlight, but always-on; it goes to a screen-saver pattern on power-off.  The entire package is as physically attractive as the original; handling it oozes quality and solidity.

I'm very happy for it.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112312 on: January 26, 2022, 04:25:12 pm »

I am all confused, mixing that Swissmicro and HP emulators ?!

OK time to Google a bit ohhhh.... OK I see...

https://www.swissmicros.com/product/dm42

The Swiss micro is a modern reincarnation of the old HP calculators... modern super fast CPU, running the emulator that people normally use on the desktop PC.
So basically it's a custom handheld H/W that mimics an old HP calculator... certainly more practical than having to use a full blown computer or smartphone with a touch screen or whatever.

Looks cool. DM42 though seems not to correspond the HP 42 ? Has a bigger screen.. but is more sexy !  8)

RPN not sure I would be able to survive with that, that's a bummer.... but at 200 Swiss Francs i.e. probably near to 250 Euros or something... it's never going to happen anyway !

Anyway, it's cool to see someone made the effort to create a company to make a well polished product that actually has some appeal.. does not look like your typical backyard rough forever in alpha stage looking, project.  So kudos to the founders of this company !  :-+

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:27:13 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112313 on: January 26, 2022, 04:34:00 pm »
Just won myself a handy bit of kit for the old Thinkpad laptop (currently running Win98 for legacy stuff).

Contec CardBus GPIB adapter.
Will help make things a bit easier when messing with GPIB stuff, I won't have to string cables across the place to reach to and tie up my PC.

I remember when CardBus arrived. I had one of the few ThinkPads that could use it at the office, so I swapped a 3Com 10Mbit PCMCIA card for a 3Com 100Mbit PCCard with a colleague and both were happy.  Still have that card, actually. And also a Xircom double-height one, where you don't need a fragile dongle.

Then, IBM realised that BrokenThing was not now, nor ever, going to win over Ethernet, and grudgingly started adding Fast Ethernet onto the motherboard of their ThinkPads. 

That, though, is a seriously sexy thing. And now, I want one. Damn!
That is crusty, agitating, AND just plain sick.   >:D

The Xircom Multi was da bomb tho... one of the few CardBus things I ever had that just plain worked.

I had the one with 56K and Cellular MODEM built-in when I was a Dell/HP ASP. What a lifesaver, being able to ftp a custom FW or set up a remote console session for my sysadmin from within the MDF/IDF when everything was down. :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112314 on: January 26, 2022, 04:42:08 pm »
Reminds me once at school we had to hand our French teacher a 4 page dissertation on god know what subject. I was the only one in the class with a computer. A mighty 486 with MS-DOS.
Being left handed, writing anything is extremely slow, a chore, and the result is barely readable regardless of how slowly I write.
So instead I typed it in MS-DOS text editor, IIRC it was called " QEdit" or something ? Memory is a bit dusty here.

Blessing of the late birth  :-DD
I typed my thesis in Wordstar on CP/M. Printed it with a type wheel printer I borrowed from the computer shop. I first had to patch the program to the printers control codes (which was a similar effort as the whole typing).

^K^Q

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neper

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112315 on: January 26, 2022, 04:47:41 pm »
FREE TEA!
Following an ad on a model engineering forum, a very nice man delivered a 'scope to my door for free  :D
Ok it's only a Scopex 4S6 single trace 6 MHz but at least I saved it from the skip. Cost in 1978 was £125 a Fluke 8020A was £112.
I'm going to let it warm up before turning it on. Input has been modfied from 4mm to BNC. It does have a horizontal input on the back so it might get used for a 'scope clock.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, cyclin_al, duckduck, dl6lr

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #112316 on: January 26, 2022, 04:54:22 pm »
If not a clock, it would make a nice two (or three maybe) terminal curve tracer.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112317 on: January 26, 2022, 04:55:19 pm »
Rob your garage is so full.. I wonder how you can afford to buy anything... you have run out of space ! :-DD

But that's nice of you to rescue it. Clock yes... at least nobody will cry once the CRT is burned on that one  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112318 on: January 26, 2022, 04:55:31 pm »
Just in case anyone finds it useful in the future, the raw data for that Metcal PCT-100 temperature profile exported from the Agilent 34461A and slapped into an OpenOffice spreadsheet. Also the obligatory graph of it.

Please note you scunners, and there's people who could learn from this, I label my graph and my axes.

https://xkcd.com/833/

mnem

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112319 on: January 26, 2022, 05:00:06 pm »
This is Zerhacker:   
Good lord, wouldja lookit that airgap... how much effing voltage does that abomination put across the DUT anyways...? :scared:

mnem
 :wtf:

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112320 on: January 26, 2022, 05:17:24 pm »
I typed my thesis in Wordstar on CP/M. Printed it with a type wheel printer I borrowed from the computer shop.

I've typed loads of text with Wordstar under CP/M on a DEC VT180 (DEC codename Robin). Pour les moins de vingt ans around here that was an ordinary VT100 terminal with a CP/M plug-in board and a double 5 1/4" floppy drive. And of course the eternal wheel printer with carbon tape.

After a few days one didn't even notice any longer all those funny characters instead of the usual German umlauts.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112321 on: January 26, 2022, 05:23:46 pm »
If not a clock, it would make a nice two (or three maybe) terminal curve tracer.

I've a Huntron Tracker for that  :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112322 on: January 26, 2022, 05:51:13 pm »
After a few days one didn't even notice any longer all those funny characters instead of the usual German umlauts.

In my first dealings with computer and Germans at the same time, I encountered lots of people, like a former colleague Rüdiger, who took great exception to their names being mangled by the failings of computers in handling non-French diacritics properly. Most computer alphabets, printers and so on had no problems with acute and grave accents and all the stuff you needed to do English and French simultaneously, but failed miserably to produce an umlaut unless you set everything to "German" before you started - including the control panel on the printer. In my most recent IT sojourn in Germany I found that just about everybody had given up and Herr Lüder in Düßeldorf himself typed "Lueder" and "Dusseldorf", ironically just about the time when we could all be confident that UTF-8 had won and you could type "ü" and "ß" to your hearts content and expect it to come out right at the other end, just as I am doing now.

Honestly, if all you people with weird alphabets were just going to give up, you could have told us computer folks - do you have any idea how much work it took to get the world where one could reliably type "ü" or "ファックオフラウンドアイ"? [Fx: Goes off pouting, to sulk over all that wasted work]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #112323 on: January 26, 2022, 05:55:15 pm »

That is neither crusty nor agitating, just sick.

Spank youuuu... spank you vurrry muuuuuch! ;)

Ehhh... what you call a Real Computer is, in fact, a Real Computer KIT.

Those who build that kit to completion -- and they are admittingly few -- will be in a unique position to actually understand what is going on.

Those who do not understand, are doomed to reimplement it, poorly. (From Henry Spencer, prominent space, Usenet and UNIX neckbeard.)

*suspender-adjustingly* *beard-scrachingly*

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #112324 on: January 26, 2022, 06:10:56 pm »

Honestly, if all you people with weird alphabets were just going to give up, you could have told us computer folks - do you have any idea how much work it took to get the world where one could reliably type "ü" or "ファックオフラウンドアイ"? [Fx: Goes off pouting, to sulk over all that wasted work]

I think we are uniquely better off for this and I use it all the time.  My name contains an umlaut that's even less common than ü or ä; "å". If I remember correctly, it is present in the Scandinavian languages (not Finnish, Å is ”ruotsalainen O” there, but the Swedish-speaking minority of course use it.) and nowhere else. I know the problems intimately, personally.

What I am most irritated by is all those intermediate steps people insist on (windows-1252, Koi-8r, MacRoman, et c.) before they realise (and some yet are to) that it's much easier to just use UTF-8.

OTOH, my children are a part-capitulation; their names are ASCII-only. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf