Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14821679 times)

McBryce and 228 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112350 on: January 26, 2022, 09:09:30 pm »
It wasn't until much later that a friend coworker explained that while the word meant literally "blond" or of Caucasian descent, the connotation was very similar to "gaijin" in the same context: a specific reference to one being not only white and outsider, but less than human as well; a white ghost.

You're confusing the Japanese Gaijin 外人 = "outside(r)" + "person" (compare Nihonjin 日本人 = sun "日" + origin of "本" + person "人", the Japanese word for "Japanese") with the Chinese Gweilo 鬼佬 = Ghost "鬼" + Man "佬" (compare 中國人 for "Chinese person" = central "中" + state "國" + person "人").

You can see that Chinese and Japanese share the ideogram 人 for person and in fact if you wrote 外人 for "foreigner" to someone Chinese they would know exactly what you meant, even though they didn't speak a word of Japanese. I wonder if written Japanese looks to the Chinese like Chinglish looks to us - "OK, you're using lots of words I know, but you're using them all for the wrong things and in the wrong place."

Guessing game for everybody, to be completed without Googling: 本田 is a Japanese surname, it's a very well known surname in the west. From the above you should already know that 本 is "origin of", and I'll tell you for free that 田 is "paddy field" (You can even see it is, neat eh?) and is pronounced on it's own as "ta". You'll have to mash the pronunciation a bit to get the familiar way of pronouncing the surname.

So whose surname is "origin of (the) paddy fields" and how do you pronounce it?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #112351 on: January 26, 2022, 09:27:15 pm »
Oh a contest !!  :D

My old Mk1 TI 85 gives 1.000,000,053,32 not bad !  8)

I set it up for 12 digit floating numbers, not sure if that helped or not.. probably just used to set the display rather than change the internal representation of numbers, I would guess...

So seven zeros... good enough for average engineering needs.

NASA needs better for space navigation ( 150 decimal places IIRC ?? ) but they also have super computers, not pocket calculators....
Yes, she was Katherine Johnson.
Watch the movie Hidden Figures.  ;)
Although the movie concentrates on a few African-American women, they had teams of women math-whizzes doing the calculations, and cross-checking against each other. While critically acclaimed, this movie was based on a work of historical fiction, so some dramatic license was taken for the sake of well... dramatization. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
And rightly so as her efforts of 1961 weren't properly recognized until 2015.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #112352 on: January 26, 2022, 09:30:11 pm »

BTW2,
we are officially tvåspråkiga.

I know. I really like the Eastern Part of The Old Kingdom :-DD (It's been 210+ years, and since we're not stupid enough to exit the nice union we're in, we're fine as is. )

The parties at the Teknologföreningen/Täffä in Otnäs/Otaniemi are something really extra. Fond memories!

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #112353 on: January 26, 2022, 09:30:27 pm »
After a few days one didn't even notice any longer all those funny characters instead of the usual German umlauts.

In my first dealings with computer and Germans at the same time, I encountered lots of people, like a former colleague Rüdiger, who took great exception to their names being mangled by the failings of computers in handling non-French diacritics properly. Most computer alphabets, printers and so on had no problems with acute and grave accents and all the stuff you needed to do English and French simultaneously, but failed miserably to produce an umlaut unless you set everything to "German" before you started - including the control panel on the printer. In my most recent IT sojourn in Germany I found that just about everybody had given up and Herr Lüder in Düßeldorf himself typed "Lueder" and "Dusseldorf", ironically just about the time when we could all be confident that UTF-8 had won and you could type "ü" and "ß" to your hearts content and expect it to come out right at the other end, just as I am doing now.

Honestly, if all you people with weird alphabets were just going to give up, you could have told us computer folks - do you have any idea how much work it took to get the world where one could reliably type "ü" or "ファックオフラウンドアイ"? [Fx: Goes off pouting, to sulk over all that wasted work]

There, there, you have done your part!

We have only moved on to the next hurdle.
Now the non-computer folks in charge in Winbloze need to let us common folk use the physical keyboard in front of us, instead of Winbloze telling us we have a keyboard different from the physical one in front of us .... we are still pulling our hair out.

--Once work is over for the day, I can switch to Ubuntu/Xubuntu and use my keyboard according to what actually appears on the keys

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112354 on: January 26, 2022, 09:32:20 pm »
I get a headache.  :-DD

You know I'm math defective... but I'll be brave, just for you, Z. ;)

mnem
No good deed goes unpunished.

Oh, and using LibreOffice, one gets back to the start, too:

Perhaps more "computer user" ^W^WDragon friendly?
RPNCalc gives 0.99999999998072

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112355 on: January 26, 2022, 09:57:31 pm »
I am strong and I resist!

I smell some emu48 there.

What do you get when you do 1 sin cos tan atan acos asin?

I use free42 because it is giving me back 1 at the end....

Wolfram Alpha says "BÄM!"

;D

Edith adds:

HP 48G is giving 0.999998113101
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:13:09 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112356 on: January 26, 2022, 09:59:30 pm »
Casio fx-83GT gives 1.00000001 when in degrees mode and 1 (no decimals) in radians mode.

Mark I brain gives 1 (no decimals) by examination in both modes.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112357 on: January 26, 2022, 10:02:51 pm »
It wasn't until much later that a friend coworker explained that while the word meant literally "blond" or of Caucasian descent, the connotation was very similar to "gaijin" in the same context: a specific reference to one being not only white and outsider, but less than human as well; a white ghost.

You're confusing the Japanese Gaijin 外人 = "outside(r)" + "person" (compare Nihonjin 日本人 = sun "日" + origin of "本" + person "人", the Japanese word for "Japanese") with the Chinese Gweilo 鬼佬 = Ghost "鬼" + Man "佬" (compare 中國人 for "Chinese person" = central "中" + state "國" + person "人").

You can see that Chinese and Japanese share the ideogram 人 for person and in fact if you wrote 外人 for "foreigner" to someone Chinese they would know exactly what you meant, even though they didn't speak a word of Japanese. I wonder if written Japanese looks to the Chinese like Chinglish looks to us - "OK, you're using lots of words I know, but you're using them all for the wrong things and in the wrong place."

Guessing game for everybody, to be completed without Googling: 本田 is a Japanese surname, it's a very well known surname in the west. From the above you should already know that 本 is "origin of", and I'll tell you for free that 田 is "paddy field" (You can even see it is, neat eh?) and is pronounced on it's own as "ta". You'll have to mash the pronunciation a bit to get the familiar way of pronouncing the surname.

I doubt it, because written Japanese contains also Hiragana and Katakana signs, which aren't used / known in the written Chinese.

Example:
Japanese: "セレバスはいい奴だ"
simplified Chinese: "Cerebus是个好人"

I've used deepl.com for the translations.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:10:46 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #112358 on: January 26, 2022, 10:17:09 pm »

You're probably right on the latter... though I still wish that if they're gonna cuss me out, the least they could do is use enough English that I can be properly offended.    :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112359 on: January 26, 2022, 10:26:35 pm »
I am strong and I resist! I smell some emu48 there. What do you get when you do 1 sin cos tan atan acos asin?

I use free42 because it is giving me back 1 at the end....
Wolfram Alpha says "BÄM!"       ;D   Edith adds: HP 48G is giving 0.999998113101
Well, then, I guess my 48sx is, even if not actually correct, at least a faithful emulator of the logic used in its namesake. ;)

mnem
At least it's right in how it's wrong... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112360 on: January 26, 2022, 10:28:43 pm »
[..} From the above you should already know that is "origin of",

Eh ? I could have sworn it meant " Diode " ?!  :-//

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 10:34:19 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, lordium, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, AVGresponding

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112361 on: January 26, 2022, 10:31:30 pm »
Casio fx-83GT gives 1.00000001 when in degrees mode and 1 (no decimals) in radians mode.

Wow that's interesting ! How comes there is a difference ?!

I just tried it in Radian and just like you, I get 1 with all zeros, spot on !    :-DMM

Good old Ti 85 is not that bad then !  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112362 on: January 26, 2022, 10:42:16 pm »
...I wonder if written Japanese looks to the Chinese like Chinglish looks to us - "OK, you're using lots of words I know, but you're using them all for the wrong things and in the wrong place."

I doubt it, because written Japanese contains also Hiragana and Katakana signs, which aren't used / known in the written Chinese.

Example:

Since I've been using my laptop as my primary PC for a while, I'm trying out the this Translate Web Pages add-on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/traduzir-paginas-web/

So far, functionally it seems as correct in its translations as the Google Translate extension for Chrome, only unlike Chrome, it does not appear to actually send anything anywhere until you highlight something or click the "Translate Page" icon. It uses Google Translate and/or Yandex as its translate engine, so results are as expected.

Now, about the actual content... don't go saying things like that about C too loudly... we all know he has a reputation to uphold.  >:D

mnem

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112363 on: January 26, 2022, 10:46:06 pm »

I just tried it in Radian and just like you, I get 1 with all zeros, spot on !    :-DMM

TI-85 has one big major issue:

It comes with a " = " key.

;D >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112364 on: January 26, 2022, 10:47:04 pm »
[..} From the above you should already know that is "origin of",

Eh ? I could have sworn it meant " Diode " ?!  :-//
   https://xkcd.com/814/

mnem
Quick Z, while he's distracted!!! >:D

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112365 on: January 26, 2022, 10:50:35 pm »

Nope, mine does not have one, it says " Enter ".  :-//

At the end of the day I don't care what it says because I don't ever look at it. I just know I have to hit "that" key in the bottom right corner, to get my result... whatever is printed on that key...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:15:05 pm by Vince »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112366 on: January 26, 2022, 10:54:44 pm »

At the end of the day I don't care what it says because I don't ever look at it. I just I have to hit "that" key to get my result... whatever is printed on that key...

Awww, you're right.
But even worse, TI is using "ENTER" as a disguised " = " key.

:popcorn:  ;)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112367 on: January 26, 2022, 10:57:30 pm »
Now, about the actual content... don't go saying things like that about C too loudly... we all know he has a reputation to uphold.  >:D

No worries. I've used fancy foreign languages, so it is not too obvious.

;D  ;D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112368 on: January 26, 2022, 10:59:54 pm »
...NASA needs better for space navigation ( 150 decimal places IIRC ?? ) but they also have super computers, not pocket calculators....
Yes, she was Katherine Johnson.   Watch the movie Hidden Figures.  ;)
Although the movie concentrates on a few African-American women, they had teams of women math-whizzes doing the calculations, and cross-checking against each other. While critically acclaimed, this movie was based on a work of historical fiction, so some dramatic license was taken for the sake of well... dramatization. ;)

mnem
And rightly so as her efforts of 1961 weren't properly recognized until 2015.  :-//
Well, they were properly recognized by the history books... I knew about them when I was just a dragon-sprout in middle school.  ;)

They just weren't recognized by the GOBN-centric popular media until they realized there was money to be made on the subject, as those media are all owned by the GOBN and their cronies. ;)

mnem

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112369 on: January 26, 2022, 11:00:49 pm »

Well, radians is 'native' for trig functions, so I presume the errors creep in in the conversions to/from degrees.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112370 on: January 26, 2022, 11:10:29 pm »

Example:

Yeah, I probably should have stipulated 'when using only the idiographic Kanji alphabet that both languages share'.

Cerebus是一个没有原则的、不好的混蛋,我不会把你的妹妹和一瓶米酒交给他

Also deepl, but I get the feeling that there would be a much more idiomatic way of saying it.  :)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112371 on: January 26, 2022, 11:13:11 pm »

At the end of the day I don't care what it says because I don't ever look at it. I just I have to hit "that" key to get my result... whatever is printed on that key...

Awww, you're right.
But even worse, TI is using "ENTER" as a disguised " = " key.

:popcorn:  ;)

I never knew there was such snobbery about how this particular key is called !  :-DD

It's a bit pathetic really...  just goes to show people are genetically programmed to form tribes on arbitrary grounds just so they can fell part of something and go to fight the other tribes.
Human brain is just hopeless, the race is never gonna get anywhere with this mindset  :-//
Well it managed to go the moon at least, I give you that... but still. Maybe we would already be colonizing another planetary system were we able to join forces to achieve goals faster rather than wasting time money and energy fighting for futile and sterile reasons...

Wow I am all philosophical all of a sudden. Maybe that's because it's quiet here at 00H15... or maybe that's because I am hungry, who knows.... will go cook something quick to find out !!! ...  8)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112372 on: January 26, 2022, 11:24:37 pm »
I never knew there was such snobbery about how this particular key is called !  :-DD

It's a bit pathetic really...  just goes to show people are genetically programmed to form tribes on arbitrary grounds just so they can fell part of something and go to fight the other tribes.
Human brain is just hopeless, the race is never gonna get anywhere with this mindset  :-//
Well it managed to go the moon at least, I give you that... but still. Maybe we would already be colonizing another planetary system were we able to join forces to achieve goals faster rather than wasting time money and energy fighting for futile and sterile reasons...

Wow I am all philosophical all of a sudden. Maybe that's because it's quiet here at 00H15... or maybe that's because I am hungry, who knows.... will go cook something quick to find out !!! ...  8)

Good grief, Vince! Calm down!   :palm:

You are obviously not familiar with all the teasings between the RPN-fans and the " = " club.  ::)

This kind of teasing has a long ongoing history here in the TEA thread and is part of the folklore of this forum.

So, ease your anger, drink a cup of milk and enjoy the scene.  :D  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112373 on: January 26, 2022, 11:25:05 pm »
No, Vince... it's a little more complex than that. The presence of an [ = ] button indicates something fundamental in how the calc thinks. The RPN/Non-RPN "calculator wars" that keep resurfacing in here are a friendly argument about whether the calculator "thinks" like pushing/popping numbers and operators on/off a stack vs using order of operations, and even which interpretation of the order of operations is used.

If you need to use a [ = ] button to get the correct answer according to order of operations, this is considered "math defective", just like the ol' tinkerdwagon.  ;)

Also, what BU508A sed. :-DD

mnem
I just push the [ + ] button one more time. >:D
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:26:57 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112374 on: January 26, 2022, 11:31:09 pm »
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:35:44 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf