Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14906544 times)

Robert763 and 236 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112425 on: January 27, 2022, 01:00:42 pm »
I wanted one for some time. Not because I really need one, but just because ...  :-//

And as I have an 3353A already, I preferred to get the 3325 as a B version to cover the generations - so to say.
Might qualify for this thread after all.   :palm:

Finally this guy arrived today with some battle scars, but overall and after first cleaning in a quite usable condition. Self test runs fine. Manual is printing.

What's the best way to better remove the Edding markings on top and front without damaging the plastics or paint? I had some minor success with ethanol (more than IPA) and cleaning solvent ("Waschbenzin", benzine)?

Fortunately the generations seem not to disagree in basic parameters.  :)

good pick, I have also the B version with the high voltage option.
It's one of my favourite  instrument and so easy to use.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112426 on: January 27, 2022, 01:35:25 pm »
It is really a pity, that bd139 is conspicuous by its absence. ;-)

I start to miss him too, he is a smart chap.

Don't we all, but he will be back soon enough, I'm sure, he has this ON OFF relationship with electronics as those who know him will no doubt be aware, he has sold off all his TE gear before and then renewed it again, so folks, watch this space...

Of course, it was, but once the novelty wears off.......
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112427 on: January 27, 2022, 01:46:42 pm »
These F35's have a strange landing routine, they fly over the airfield at high level and then peel off to gain separation from others in the flight, and then they drop rapidly, levelling out just a few feet from the ground just before the perimeter of the airfield, unlike the F15's which out a reasonable distance and follow a more conventional glide slope.  The F35's are also noticeably far smaller than the old F15's, so you need either a longer focal length on your lens, or you need to be close to them. The F15 is @ 180 mm and F35 is 300 mm, both shot from the same location.

Maybe they are just showing off. Or perhaps they are minimising the chance of "merging with the ground" outside the airfield boundary.

I wonder if they can fly with only one wing, like the F15?
No, I think that possibly that they are a brand-new squadron and may still be getting used to flying the new planes, but having said that, they seem to be landing under computer control, because very often, the pilots are seen waving at the viewers as they land but not the F15 pilots, they tend to leave to their weapons officer if they have one.

Yes, the F15 is a very broad body jet, having been up real close and personal with them, I think the fuselage is more than capable of providing lift. I have seen that photo of that one that fly back to base after the wing came away, amazingly rugged that plane, somehow, I doubt the F35 is capable of doing that. I hear rumours that the RAF ones at Marham are often having problems, so I doubt that they will be in service as long as the F15's for sure.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:55:47 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112428 on: January 27, 2022, 01:54:58 pm »
These F35's have a strange landing routine, they fly over the airfield at high level and then peel off to gain separation from others in the flight, and then they drop rapidly, levelling out just a few feet from the ground just before the perimeter of the airfield, unlike the F15's which out a reasonable distance and follow a more conventional glide slope.  The F35's are also noticeably far smaller than the old F15's, so you need either a longer focal length on your lens, or you need to be close to them. The F15 is @ 180 mm and F35 is 300 mm, both shot from the same location.

Maybe they are just showing off. Or perhaps they are minimising the chance of "merging with the ground" outside the airfield boundary.

I wonder if they fall out of the sky if you don't get the sealant on the radome tip cap just right?  :scared:

https://www.lakenheath.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/727773/air-force-releases-investigation-results-on-f-15d-accident/
I remember that crashing as well, IIRC the pilot managed to avoid a farmhouse, and also I recall there being some rumour about missing a tractor that was working in the field as well?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112429 on: January 27, 2022, 02:23:36 pm »

No more cheese

That is quite unparseable. I'm probably more of a French food fan than you, but, as de Gaulle sighed, with 246 varieties, how can one not eat them? (actually, he mostly complained about the impossibility of ruling the French) Speaking of: It's been some time since I had St. Marcellin. Next time I'm walking from work to a underground station a bit further away, I'll try to get some.

Yes Mansaxel that's probably true ! Usually foreigners are more ecstatic about France than the people who actually live here... the view point is not the same ...
Just like tourists always found other countries so marvelous and wonderful.... but when you ask the locals who actually live there, it's never quite the same story...

Still as I have already said before, I would rather live in France than any other country, so not complaining but... food is very diverse here and taste is a very personal thing so you just can't like everything... for that would mean you have no taste at all... having taste means there is some stuff you like and some other stuff you don't like at all or not as much...

Also as I have already said before, I am not at all your typical French and I don't like 99% of the things that most people here seem to like, so one should never ever take me as some kind of "window" into France... better stick to the stereotypes you see on TV / movies or the interweb.

As for cheese, as a kid at home, I have never liked it. Maybe because my dad was the one eating the stuff and he only bought soft cheese that were very smelly, like Munster or Maroille or Livarot, IIRC...
Later in life I discovered I quite liked Roquefort and Chèvre, so I buy some every now and then. I like to put it on toased bread or to stuff "pan cakes", that kind of pan cake :

But I don't like to eat cheese cold, it's too fat to my taste, and stodgy (had to look that one up in Google so hopefully it means what I wanted to mean...), not for me.

Only 246 different cheeses here ? Wow I know squat about cheese but I doubt such a low number.. probably only lists the most common ones, that are easily available.
There is an infinity of local cheeses that the guy in the farm out the village does... that only the guys in the village know about and buy... and there are 30,000+ villages here so that makes for a lot of cheeses  !  :-DD

Hell, an ex colleague of mine ("ex" because I got fired) right now is telling me he is thinking of like me leaving this shitty company and instead..... make his own cheese and buy a food truck to go sell them on markets around here !  So there you go soon one more cheese variety !  :-DD

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:25:36 pm by Vince »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #112430 on: January 27, 2022, 02:28:51 pm »

No, I think that possibly that they are a brand-new squadron and may still be getting used to flying the new planes, but having said that, they seem to be landing under computer control, because very often, the pilots are seen waving at the viewers as they land but not the F15 pilots, they tend to leave to their weapons officer if they have one.

Yes, the F15 is a very broad body jet, having been up real close and personal with them, I think the fuselage is more than capable of providing lift. I have seen that photo of that one that fly back to base after the wing came away, amazingly rugged that plane, somehow, I doubt the F35 is capable of doing that. I hear rumours that the RAF ones at Marham are often having problems, so I doubt that they will be in service as long as the F15's for sure.

There are many "remixes" of the video on yootoob, including the pilot's commentary and cockpit footage.

The commentary that really gets to me is Al Haynes on his UA-232 flight
http://leonardo-in-flight.nl/PDF/ap_jun91United%20232%20Loss%20of%20All%20Flight%20Controls.pdf
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112431 on: January 27, 2022, 02:54:42 pm »
What's the best way to better remove the Edding markings on top and front without damaging the plastics or paint? I had some minor success with ethanol (more than IPA) and cleaning solvent ("Waschbenzin", benzine)?

I've had consistently good results with a melamine sponge and isopropanol (or 70/30 isopropanol and water if there's any suspicion that the stain has a polar component).
As a matter of fact my 'standard' cleaning solution at the moment is 70% isopropanol, 30% de-ionised water and 0.1% Benzalkonium chloride.

Try your solvents and a melamine sponge (sold in the US as a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser; not sure what it might be called in your neck of the woods).  I've had pretty good success with that method.  Usually go (in order of escalation) window cleaner, IPA, denatured alcohol, naptha for removing crud and heavy-handed magic marker 'art' from things. ...
splash of ammonia

Thx a lot so far, guys!

With a rag I worked along that order of escalation (naphta (benzine? German: "Waschbenzin"?)). Denatured alcohol working best, but not sufficiently. At least the rag got some stains of the right colour.

A melamine sponge is on my order list. Never used one. Will try next with denatured alcohol.

Seems not that easy to order pure BAC somewhere. Lots of ready made cleaning products ...

Ammonia I have at hand from cleaing black ink out of fountain pens. Wort a try.

Then there is original edding cleaning paste. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B073CF6PWW Quite expensive!

And some site recommend hair spray, which I would have to buy too.  :-DD

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112432 on: January 27, 2022, 03:06:59 pm »
Isn't the usual "hack" to paint across the marking with a dry erase marker and remove them together?  :-/O

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #112433 on: January 27, 2022, 03:07:48 pm »
It wasn't until much later that a friend coworker explained that while the word meant literally "blond" or of Caucasian descent, the connotation was very similar to "gaijin" in the same context: a specific reference to one being not only white and outsider, but less than human as well; a white ghost.

You're confusing the Japanese Gaijin 外人 = "outside(r)" + "person" (compare Nihonjin 日本人 = sun "日" + origin of "本" + person "人", the Japanese word for "Japanese") with the Chinese Gweilo 鬼佬 = Ghost "鬼" + Man "佬" (compare 中國人 for "Chinese person" = central "中" + state "國" + person "人").
You're probably right on the latter... though I still wish that if they're gonna cuss me out, the least they could do is use enough English that I can be properly offended.    :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

It can be done quite differently as well...

During university, one of my buddies had a Chinese girlfriend.  She taught us all the meaning of "Hum sup lo".
Afterwards, she would unbeknownst to us, lead us into a public area with a large population of Chinese males.
This was easy to do at a university campus with computer and electrical engineering departments.
She would then loudly call us that term, quite loudly, and cause a large audience to give us dirty looks.
It was highly effective because we did realize exactly what had just happened...

*raises a paw*   Guilty as charged...  :-//

mnem
I am not a pervert; I am a provert. I get paid to be this way. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112434 on: January 27, 2022, 03:11:19 pm »
Isn't the usual "hack" to paint across the marking with a dry erase marker and remove them together?  :-/O
Yes, on glossy slick surfaces like whiteboards that works a treat!

The HP "B" fronts du have a mat and somewhat grainy surface. The edding somewhat penetrates this surface.

I'll see, if I have an whiteobard marker at hand and try.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112435 on: January 27, 2022, 03:16:05 pm »
I pinged him via e a couple days ago; I'll update when I hear back. I expect that whole IRL thang he's been up to his eyeballs in has taken on new urgency with the new year. ;)

mnem
*the vagaries of being a lifelong shit-shoveler*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112436 on: January 27, 2022, 03:25:11 pm »
like Munster or Maroille or Livarot, IIRC...

It's Maroilles, with an 's', after the village where it comes from, in the beautiful Nord (59) that you dislike so much.

Admittedly, I'd never eat it raw, but on an omelette or, like here, in dos de cabillaud au maroilles, flamiche aux poireaux et au maroilles or in poireaux gratinés au maroilles it's absolutely delicious:

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 03:31:35 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112437 on: January 27, 2022, 03:26:29 pm »

What the fuck did I just watch...?!?

mnem
 :wtf:

This maybe could help you to understand:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micmacs_(film)

:)
Yeah, I gathered most of the synopsis from watching the trailer with CC enabled. Just... couldn't wrap my brain around how the eff such a shamelessly subversive film got funded and produced...    :-DD

mnem
mimes are still a crime against humanity.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #112438 on: January 27, 2022, 03:30:32 pm »
Arh so, its Mr Honda  :-DD :-DD and in Chinese Cerebus  becomes Serpent Rage, so there is very little difference between Japanese and Chinese it would seem.

Nah, it's my name that means Snake Rage when translated to Japanese. :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112439 on: January 27, 2022, 03:32:31 pm »

What the fuck did I just watch...?!?

mnem
 :wtf:

This maybe could help you to understand:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micmacs_(film)

:)
Yeah, I gathered most of the synopsis from watching the trailer with CC enabled. Just... couldn't wrap my brain around how the eff such a shamelessly subversive film got funded and produced...    :-DD

mnem
mimes are still a crime against humanity.

This is France! This kind of Subversiveness is part of their spirit.  ;D
And it seems that a lot of french people do have a soft spot for surreal and absurd humor (and I like it).
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112440 on: January 27, 2022, 03:33:21 pm »
Subversive describes the entire cinema output of France, Spain, most independent British productions, in fact almost anywhere where the local film production apparatus isn't known as x-wood : x ∈ { holly, bolly, ...}.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, duckduck

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112441 on: January 27, 2022, 03:35:51 pm »
like Munster or Maroille or Livarot, IIRC...

It's Maroilles, with an 's', after the village where it comes from, in the beautiful North (59) that you dislike so much.

Admittedly, I'd never eat it raw, but on an omelette or, like here, in dos de cabillaud au maroilles, flamiche aux poireaux et au maroilles or in poireaux gratinés au maroilles it's absolutely delicious:

I don't hate the north... i just don't like it as a place to live. You can't like everything in life... but I am glad you like it so much, it balances things out !  >:D
You are also correcting my typos literals so I don't even need to spell check anymore, you can do it for me  >:D

Maybe I should refresh my German so I can spot German typos hmmmm....  >:D

I am not into super fat stodgy food like you showed,  but they like that a lot in the north.. because it's a tough place to live in so in the old days the workers did need that kind of food to survive at their work place of when farming... times have changed and we don't need to eat such food any more, we have machines to do the hard work for us now  8)

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #112442 on: January 27, 2022, 03:38:49 pm »
Fighting with the damned cardbus GPIB adapter now, I really hate Win98....
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112443 on: January 27, 2022, 03:54:11 pm »
A change of topic, I meant to post these earlier but forgot as I have been so busy lately, I did manage to squeeze a trip in to Lakenheath on the 21st in order to capture a few more photos in of the F15C's before they are withdrawn from front line service over here. There will still be F15D and F15E's over here but the F15C's are being replaced with F35's.
Nice pics, as always Spec.  :-+

So.... rumors abound of the American Forces of Directed Violence substituting F-15EXes for the F35 before they've even taken delivery on the bulk of the originally proposed orders... but we're still willing to saddle you poor bastards with them...? I thought we were aspoda be allies...? :o

Or are those rumors just that, and we really are going to keep funding the endless R&D&Revision on these financial horrors? :o

Somebody who actually knows better, please weigh in... :scared:

mnem

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #112444 on: January 27, 2022, 03:59:02 pm »

Only 246 different cheeses here ?

That's what all who quote de Gaulle say. Probably they're referring to appelations or similar areas, not brands.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112445 on: January 27, 2022, 04:07:29 pm »
Interesting, my HP48GX gives .999998113101 to the sin/cos/tan thing, but my HP48GII gives 1.

The windows calculator in Win 10 gives 1.  But I think it may be "cheating."  As you do it, it shows the equation at the top building with each key press, so I wonder if it is smart enough to be cancelling each function with it's inverse to get back the 1.

My first calculator was also the TI-30 and I still have my Great International Math on Keys book somewhere.
Huh.... I guess these two calculators must've gotten cross-connected in the deepest recesses of the ol' tinkerdwagon's brain; a quick Gurrgle indicates it was in fact the TI-30 that came with the Great International Math on Keys book. I know I've had all of them multiple times... including a LCD version of the TI-30 at one point. I suppose iterative memory writes could've caused the mixup...

mnem
...or it could all just be tied up in my math-defective-ness...? :-//

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112446 on: January 27, 2022, 04:13:15 pm »
No more cheese
That is quite unparseable. I'm probably more of a French food fan than you, but, as de Gaulle sighed, with 246 varieties, how can one not eat them? (actually, he mostly complained about the impossibility of ruling the French) Speaking of: It's been some time since I had St. Marcellin. Next time I'm walking from work to a underground station a bit further away, I'll try to get some.
Especially as cheese actually contains a lot of protein and the fat in the cheese is good for you ...  The carbs are the killer. Not the fat.
Same here. When I'm on the hard keto, the various low-ish carb hard cheeses are my effing lifeline; I'm more than happy to trade a few precious carbs for something with a different flavor from eggs and seasoned meats. Just a few crumbles can add so much flavor.

mnem
 :horse:
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 04:16:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112447 on: January 27, 2022, 04:27:01 pm »
Welcome back, med. :-+

I just had to separate out and bring that pic of the original HV multiplier the attention it is due... that thing is a work of art. ;)

So what do you thing is causing the bloom...? Carbon resistor somewhere drifting due to lower Vf/higher current capacity of the sand-state rectifiers...?

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 04:35:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112448 on: January 27, 2022, 04:30:44 pm »

Don't we all, but he will be back soon enough, I'm sure, he has this ON OFF relationship with electronics as those who know him will no doubt be aware, he has sold off all his TE gear before and then renewed it again, so folks, watch this space...

Actually, two of them... and a bit of "the Ferengi's lobes" caught in the middle. Ehhhh... as you say, he'll be back. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112449 on: January 27, 2022, 04:39:18 pm »
You are also correcting my typos literals so I don't even need to spell check anymore, you can do it for me  >:D

Spell checking is used by practitioners of the occult arts, writers use a spelling checker.  >:D

A spelling checker would probably get Nyarlathotep wrong, a spell checker wouldn't; which is crucial, as finding one's insides on the outside, and outsides on the inside can really ruin your day.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Saskia, BILLPOD, Neper

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf