Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14916315 times)

Robert763 and 261 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112475 on: January 27, 2022, 09:18:47 pm »
Oh, a good baguette would be novel; what they have here is more like long skinny Ciabatta bread.  :o  Even fresh and warm from the bakery it's still hard as a rock on the heels, which is my favorite part of a proper baguette. :palm:

mnem
more a self-defense weapon than food, says I... :o
Yes, the Italians bake 'em sturdy, in case they meet some French on the way home!

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #112476 on: January 27, 2022, 09:20:15 pm »
Just won myself a handy bit of kit for the old Thinkpad laptop (currently running Win98 for legacy stuff).

Contec CardBus GPIB adapter.
Will help make things a bit easier when messing with GPIB stuff, I won't have to string cables across the place to reach to and tie up my PC.

I remember when CardBus arrived. I had one of the few ThinkPads that could use it at the office, so I swapped a 3Com 10Mbit PCMCIA card for a 3Com 100Mbit PCCard with a colleague and both were happy.  Still have that card, actually. And also a Xircom double-height one, where you don't need a fragile dongle.

<SNIP>

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112477 on: January 27, 2022, 09:20:29 pm »
Oh, and when doing the MetraMax12 I noticed that it would not do any current at all...need to order special 1.6A extra-fast Siba fuse for it.

And in the Fluke12 I did initially find the thing sown below.
Fortunately the goo stayed inside, but I heard that *pop*!

Wow never seen or heard about 9V batteries going " pop ", impressive, thanks for sharing !  :o
Not the first one with this failure mode.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112478 on: January 27, 2022, 09:34:17 pm »
like Munster or Maroille or Livarot, IIRC...

It's Maroilles, with an 's', after the village where it comes from, in the beautiful North (59) that you dislike so much.

Admittedly, I'd never eat it raw, but on an omelette or, like here, in dos de cabillaud au maroilles, flamiche aux poireaux et au maroilles or in poireaux gratinés au maroilles it's absolutely delicious:

I don't hate the north... i just don't like it as a place to live. You can't like everything in life... but I am glad you like it so much, it balances things out !  >:D
You are also correcting my typos literals so I don't even need to spell check anymore, you can do it for me  >:D

Maybe I should refresh my German so I can spot German typos hmmmm....  >:D

I am not into super fat stodgy food like you showed,  but they like that a lot in the north.. because it's a tough place to live in so in the old days the workers did need that kind of food to survive at their work place of when farming... times have changed and we don't need to eat such food any more, we have machines to do the hard work for us now  8)
Das Aufspueren von Rechtschreibfehlern ohne gueltige Rechtschreibfehleraufspuergenehmigung ist strengstens verboten!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Neper

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #112479 on: January 27, 2022, 09:44:55 pm »
Oh, a good baguette would be novel; what they have here is more like long skinny Ciabatta bread.  :o  Even fresh and warm from the bakery it's still hard as a rock on the heels, which is my favorite part of a proper baguette. :palm:

mnem
more a self-defense weapon than food, says I... :o
Yes, the Italians bake 'em sturdy, in case they meet some French on the way home!

Huh... according to the relevant wiki, Ciabatta is a modern (80s) invention... created in response to the popularity of baguettes. :o

Ummmmm... FAIL!  :-DD

Don't get me wrong... I like a juicy grilled steak & onion with a nice aged Parmesan on Ciabatta... but as a substitute for baguettes, especially with wine & cheese or with my coffee...? That's like bringing a salami to a gunfight. ;)

mnem
Just say no to crappy baguette.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:51:40 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112480 on: January 27, 2022, 10:00:24 pm »
Das Aufspueren von Rechtschreibfehlern ohne gueltige Rechtschreibfehleraufspuergenehmigung ist strengstens verboten!

Sounds funny once Googled translated it to English....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112481 on: January 27, 2022, 10:19:08 pm »
Popped over to North Weald, my local airfield this afternoon, my first visit there for almost 6 months  :o and I was rewarded with I believe to be only the 2nd Lynx helicopter to be airworthy in private hands unless Robert knows otherwise.

This particular one has just undergone a lengthy restoration to become airworthy again and today was its 2nd day of little short test flights around the airfield.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112482 on: January 27, 2022, 10:19:46 pm »
like Munster or Maroille or Livarot, IIRC...

It's Maroilles, with an 's', after the village where it comes from, in the beautiful North (59) that you dislike so much.

Admittedly, I'd never eat it raw, but on an omelette or, like here, in dos de cabillaud au maroilles, flamiche aux poireaux et au maroilles or in poireaux gratinés au maroilles it's absolutely delicious:

I don't hate the north... i just don't like it as a place to live. You can't like everything in life... but I am glad you like it so much, it balances things out !  >:D
You are also correcting my typos literals so I don't even need to spell check anymore, you can do it for me  >:D

Maybe I should refresh my German so I can spot German typos hmmmm....  >:D

I am not into super fat stodgy food like you showed,  but they like that a lot in the north.. because it's a tough place to live in so in the old days the workers did need that kind of food to survive at their work place of when farming... times have changed and we don't need to eat such food any more, we have machines to do the hard work for us now  8)

Oh, it's like that is it? We're bringing the compound nouns out are we?

OK, you asked for it:

In einem kleinen Dorf wohnte einst ein Mädchen mit dem Namen Barbara. Barbara war in der ganzen Gegend für ihren ausgezeichneten Rhabarberkuchen bekannt. Da jeder so gerne Barbaras Rhabarberkuchen aß, nannte man sie Rhabarberbarbara.

Rhabarberbarbara merkte bald, dass sie mit ihrem Rhabarberkuchen Geld verdienen könnte. Daher eröffnete sie eine Bar: Die Rhabarberbarbarabar.

Natürlich gab es in der Rhabarberbarbarabar bald Stammkunden. Die bekanntesten unter Ihnen, drei Barbaren, kamen so oft in die Rhabarberbarbarabar um von Rhabarberbarbaras Rhabarberkuchen zu essen, dass man sie kurz die Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbaren nannte.

Die Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbaren hatten wunderschöne dichte Bärte. Wenn die Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbaren ihren Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbart pflegten, gingen sie zum Barbier.

Der einzige Barbier, der einen Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbart bearbeiten konnte, wollte das natürlich betonen und nannte sich Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbier.

Der Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbier kannte von den Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbaren Rhabarberbarbaras herlichen Rhabarberkuchen und trank dazu immer ein Bier, das er liebevoll Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbier nannte.

Das Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbier konnte man nur an einer ganz bestimmten Bar kaufen. Die Verkäuferin des Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbieres an der Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbierbar hieß Bärbel.

Nach dem Stutzen des Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbarts ging der Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbier meist mit den Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbaren in die Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbierbar zu Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbierbarbärbel um sie mit zur Rhabarberbarbarabar zu nehmen um etwas von Rhabarberbarbaras herrlichem Rhabarberkuchen zu essen und ein Rhabarberbarbarabarbarbarenbartbarbierbier anzustoßen. Prost.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, mansaxel, cyclin_al, BILLPOD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112483 on: January 27, 2022, 10:57:12 pm »

mnem
cheater.  >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #112484 on: January 27, 2022, 10:59:12 pm »

I guess the only way for the average US guy who wants decent bread and croissant is just to learn to do them themselves... but I guess wouldn't be economical, and too time consuming, so nobody could justify doing it  :(
Not an expert but I gather the number one factor for a good baguette vs a cheap crap one, is to let the paste settle for 24H minimum.. not practical.

The rise time is very important, as is the use of a well cultivated sourdough.  I usually get by with overnight rise, and using my "Orvar IV" sourdough. Just was inspired to set a dough, so tomorrow morning I'll be able to make 3 good baguettes.

I buy commercial-grade flour in 15kg bags from a restaurant supply chain who allow ordinary people in their stores too. Much better than the usual varieties found in supermarkets.  Another very important part is a baguette rack, with three perforated troughs for the loaves. It makes for a much better heat distribution to the bread; baking the baguette more evenly and leaving no soft underbelly; all-around crust is achieved.

Now, if I only had a steady supply of Beurre demi-sel de Normandie at a sensible price. I'd eat myself to death on buttered baguettes.

With some Comté and Gruyère, of course.

And a glass, or several, of Gigondas.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #112485 on: January 27, 2022, 11:05:04 pm »
sumting TEA.
received a keysight n6700 via UPS from Magyar today.
no power cable, no digital wiring harness, no filler panels.
tbh, those were not part of the Fotos in the eBay listing.
located my 2 power modules and plugged them in. after power on I could select my modules and set CV for both modules. apparently it's working. Also found 2 filler panels on the bay for 30 pesos.
so apparently it works. will test when those filler panels get here. checked my modules, 8v and 100v. looking for 5, 30, 60 V modules ...

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112486 on: January 27, 2022, 11:09:05 pm »

I guess the only way for the average US guy who wants decent bread and croissant is just to learn to do them themselves... but I guess wouldn't be economical, and too time consuming, so nobody could justify doing it  :(
Not an expert but I gather the number one factor for a good baguette vs a cheap crap one, is to let the paste settle for 24H minimum.. not practical.

The rise time is very important, as is the use of a well cultivated sourdough.  I usually get by with overnight rise, and using my "Orvar IV" sourdough. Just was inspired to set a dough, so tomorrow morning I'll be able to make 3 good baguettes.

I buy commercial-grade flour in 15kg bags from a restaurant supply chain who allow ordinary people in their stores too. Much better than the usual varieties found in supermarkets.  Another very important part is a baguette rack, with three perforated troughs for the loaves. It makes for a much better heat distribution to the bread; baking the baguette more evenly and leaving no soft underbelly; all-around crust is achieved.

Now, if I only had a steady supply of Beurre demi-sel de Normandie at a sensible price. I'd eat myself to death on buttered baguettes.

With some Comté and Gruyère, of course.

And a glass, or several, of Gigondas.

Wow... just wow........ you are one of a kind  >:D

Motivated you are, I admire...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112487 on: January 27, 2022, 11:19:42 pm »
Damn you, Cerebus!!! :-DD

When I posted the Rhubarb-Barbara video, it caught my son's attention... and so, after listening to the whole damnable thing, he asks me what the Hell she was saying...   :palm:

So, of course, being a father who prizes a boi's curiosity, that did place a geas upon me to translate what you just typed... (Ifni help you, I hope you cut/pasted it from somewhere... :P) and to do my damnedest to read it aloud in English.

Much dwagon tongue-tying did ensue, tho I will say I muddled through the reading mostly intact, except for a brief gigglefit around that bit with the barbarian-beard-barber's beer... Which I'm pretty sure everybody fails the first time, just like Neo jumping all the way across to the other building...   :o

mnem
barbarian beard-barber beer my bouncy blue balls... ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:24:41 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112488 on: January 27, 2022, 11:22:58 pm »
Question.

Here are my old drawers I got as a teen, where I stored all my brand new 5% resistors.

Now it's not that convenient and wastes 99% of the drawer volume.

I am wondering if there is a solution to store that kind of component, 2 legged axial low power stuff like these resistor..... in a much more compact/efficient manner ?

How do you people store your new resistors ? Was wondering if maybe something like a binder with plastic "sleeves" of a special design... a bit like the "sample books" for small surface mount components ? Is there a company somewhere that sells plastic inserts for binders, custom designed for that kind of purpose ? I don't even know if that's doable or a good idea... just to illustrate an example of compact storage... I am open sto any design or suggestion ! Maybe there is none, I don't know... but if there is a more compact way than wasting drawers space, I would like to hear about it and consider it !

These drawers could still be used , much more efficiently, to store all sorts of small parts like fuses, fuse holders, buzzers,  trannies, diode bridges, caps, trimmers, 7 segment LED displays, small misc H/W like ferrite beads, plastic standoffs, small heat sinks for small package trannies, rubber feet ... a ton of misc stuff ! ... but axial resistors no, IMHO ?!  :-//

Tell me all about your cool storage solutions and ideas, links to products, anything... help me !!!  :D

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:24:57 pm by Vince »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112489 on: January 27, 2022, 11:23:59 pm »
Link doens't work, get 404 error.  I couldn't believe there was such a page on EEVBlog anyway   :o

No cat has not trained me... he only thinks he has !

Only reason he can keep his ass warm during the day is because I am jobless so am home all day long, so I am kind enough to let him stay warm and eat tons of treats (he is obese now)
What he doesn't know is that I have run out of money and will be actively searching for a new job in the coming days/weeks... so no more Vince at home to open him the door (well, the kitchen window in this case...) anymore !!!   But spring is coming fast so he shall survive without my help just fine...eating birds and coypus in the garden.

Hmmm....  Maybe attached as a proper link it'll work.  It seems it needs the slash at the end.  Try this:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat!/

And if that doesn't work, the thread is in general/general technical chat

-Pat

Looks to me as a copy & paste mistake:

Code: [Select]
You need to post more pics of him in the cat thread:
[url=https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/post-a-picture-of-a-cat[/url]!/

Seems, you've copied the complete URL, created the URL-tag with the button from above, inserted the URL and then somehow copied the URL and managed to delete the exclamation mark.

Or the forum software has cut off the exclamation mark.

Either way, I see this kind of not working URLs from time to time and afair it was always a special character involved.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112490 on: January 27, 2022, 11:35:14 pm »
[schnipp]
How do you people store your new resistors ?
[schnapp]

Here is my resistor collection:
E24 E12, 100 resistors per value
1%
600mW
Metaloxide
Values from 1Ohm to 10MOhm

« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:42:27 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al, syau, duckduck

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #112491 on: January 27, 2022, 11:38:46 pm »
Ah.  More zip-lock bags!   :-+  ... with labels no less.

Actually, labels are essential.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112492 on: January 27, 2022, 11:41:04 pm »
Question.

Here are my old drawers I got as a teen, where I stored all my brand new 5% resistors.

Now it's not that convenient and wastes 99% of the drawer volume.

I am wondering if there is a solution to store that kind of component, 2 legged axial low power stuff like these resistor..... in a much more compact/efficient manner ?

How do you people store your new resistors ? Was wondering if maybe something like a binder with plastic "sleeves" of a special design... a bit like the "sample books" for small surface mount components ? Is there a company somewhere that sells plastic inserts for binders, custom designed for that kind of purpose ? I don't even know if that's doable or a good idea... just to illustrate an example of compact storage... I am open sto any design or suggestion ! Maybe there is none, I don't know... but if there is a more compact way than wasting drawers space, I would like to hear about it and consider it !

These drawers could still be used , much more efficiently, to store all sorts of small parts like fuses, fuse holders, buzzers,  trannies, diode bridges, caps, trimmers, 7 segment LED displays, small misc H/W like ferrite beads, plastic standoffs, small heat sinks for small package trannies, rubber feet ... a ton of misc stuff ! ... but axial resistors no, IMHO ?!  :-//

Tell me all about your cool storage solutions and ideas, links to products, anything... help me !!!  :D

Comp-Cards. Although I do not know whether they will supply you empty ones. If I was going for that, I would claim to need them as spares for worn-out or damaged ones.
The supplier is Nova-Elektronik.
I have the regular resistors in such magazines like you show them, except that I have allocated a full drawer only for '1' in a decade and half drawers for the other leading numbers. Those in bulk storage are excluded of course, as well as power, precision, and other special types. But in that way I get a sizeable number of resistors accessible with not too much searching (in 1 Raaco magazine).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 11:43:00 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, duckduck, DH7DN

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112493 on: January 27, 2022, 11:50:43 pm »
BU, you ARE making fun of us, aren't you? Nobody gets anything done with E12, and not much with E24!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112494 on: January 27, 2022, 11:51:40 pm »

My regular supermarket, a humble Sainsburys, stocks butter from Isigny-sur-Mer in both salted and unsalted versions, unpasteurised naturally. I have some in the fridge as I type. Sainsbury's own house brand farmhouse butter is £2.05 (that's a traditional lactic butter too), the Isigny butters  are £2.65, and the very cheapest they do (excluding temporary special offers) is "Anchor" brand butter for £1.75 (which I suspect is made from the dairy equivalent of sump oil). A very small premium to pay for decent butter and I can get it any time I go shopping. See, we're not totally uncivilised here in Britain.

Were I to opt for 'death by wheat and butter' I think I would go with my home-made croissants - in which I only ever use the Isigny butter.

As for our French cousins, they get their baguettes by starting out with a Poolish, and their croissants are, of course, Viennoiserie. So what is actually French about the two best baked things to come out of France?  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #112495 on: January 27, 2022, 11:55:41 pm »

Depends on the component, and pragmatism is a virtue - doctrinaire prescriptions don't help.

Caps from suppliers are left in their bags.

Random PTH components stored in small zip lock bags, multiple bags in a drawer.

PTH resistors in bandoliers have the bandolier flattened before inserting in a small plastic bag. Plastic bag's width allows many to be stored in take-away food containers.

All bags are labeled, so it can be seen from the outside without unwrapping.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112496 on: January 27, 2022, 11:58:05 pm »
BTW, I continued the test of the M2036 for 2hrs and the 0.9990 mA did not move anywhere. Switched the DMM off for 30min and left the DMMcheck on. Switched it on again and after a few seconds and two excursions to 0.998x the 0.9990 were right back.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112497 on: January 28, 2022, 12:03:58 am »
Damn you, Cerebus!!! :-DD

When I posted the Rhubarb-Barbara video, it caught my son's attention... and so, after listening to the whole damnable thing, he asks me what the Hell she was saying...   :palm:

So, of course, being a father who prizes a boi's curiosity, that did place a geas upon me to translate what you just typed... (Ifni help you, I hope you cut/pasted it from somewhere... :P) and to do my damnedest to read it aloud in English.

Much dwagon tongue-tying did ensue, tho I will say I muddled through the reading mostly intact, except for a brief gigglefit around that bit with the barbarian-beard-barber's beer... Which I'm pretty sure everybody fails the first time, just like Neo jumping all the way across to the other building...   :o

mnem
barbarian beard-barber beer my bouncy blue balls... ;)

So glad that I was able to, like my cat always does, "help".

Of course I cut and pasted it. Typing that from scratch would be first order masochism even for a German who was so German that they eat Sauerbraten und Kartoffelklöße for breakfast each day. Took some finding in text form though. I found a lot of rhubarb recipes before I hit the motherlode.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112498 on: January 28, 2022, 12:08:01 am »
If there's anybody who would do it the hard way just to tweak the shrew-disciple's nose, it is you. :-DD

mnem
I'm certain that tinkerdwagon collateral damage was just the frosting on that Black Forest Cake... ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 12:10:30 am by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #112499 on: January 28, 2022, 12:11:24 am »
Question.

I still store my resistors in similar ones. I agree that it is not a very efficient solution.

I'm thinking of a solution like your wooden drawer set in the background, drawers partitioned in ca 100mm wide sections, and then stuffing-sorting banded or loose resistors in ziplock bags in neat rows in the sections, marked so they're easy to flip through and find values.  It was BD139 who suggested it first in this thread, IIRC.

Electricks tinkery:

Currently doing another rehash of the long-drawn project with BBD-based chorus stomp boxes. I think I'll do a simpler one first, and then evolve into more complex circuits.  Several stomp boxes aren't a bad idea, actually.

Anyway, as I'm surfing the stomp box builder forums, there are two themes that strike me;

• The cheap opamps (especially JRC 4558) that were chosen for price and market availability Back Then(tm) and now are obsolete or suboptimal are of course in true Cargo Cult fashion cherished as the Proper Solution, and woe him who suggests a TL072 instead of the 062... (the 062 usually was chosen for lower current consumption; but with a 9V wall-wart, that's no issue)
  • The only kosher way to publish ones work is as mounting/jumper instruction for stripboard. These people have neither heard about JLCPCB nor KiCAD.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf