Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550942 times)

Wallace Gasiewicz, materialsguy, jazzmann, cf4044 and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #112500 on: January 28, 2022, 12:12:30 am »
Question.

Here are my old drawers I got as a teen, where I stored all my brand new 5% resistors.

Now it's not that convenient and wastes 99% of the drawer volume.

I am wondering if there is a solution to store that kind of component, 2 legged axial low power stuff like these resistor..... in a much more compact/efficient manner ?

How do you people store your new resistors ? Was wondering if maybe something like a binder with plastic "sleeves" of a special design... a bit like the "sample books" for small surface mount components ? Is there a company somewhere that sells plastic inserts for binders, custom designed for that kind of purpose ? I don't even know if that's doable or a good idea... just to illustrate an example of compact storage... I am open sto any design or suggestion ! Maybe there is none, I don't know... but if there is a more compact way than wasting drawers space, I would like to hear about it and consider it !

These drawers could still be used , much more efficiently, to store all sorts of small parts like fuses, fuse holders, buzzers,  trannies, diode bridges, caps, trimmers, 7 segment LED displays, small misc H/W like ferrite beads, plastic standoffs, small heat sinks for small package trannies, rubber feet ... a ton of misc stuff ! ... but axial resistors no, IMHO ?!  :-//

Tell me all about your cool storage solutions and ideas, links to products, anything... help me !!!  :D

My solution is some ziplock bags of the right size (60 x 80mm) slotted into a conveniently sized cardboard box, with some dividers made of cardboard cut from (looks) a tissue box that would have otherwise gone in the bin.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112501 on: January 28, 2022, 12:22:36 am »
If there's anybody who would do it the hard way just to tweak the shrew-disciple's nose, it is you. :-DD

mnem
I'm certain that tinkerdwagon collateral damage was just the frosting on that Black Forest Cake... ;)

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte? Now we're talking. Black Forest Gateaux, as it gets called here, is regarded as a bit naif in Britain but personally I love a generous helping or three whenever I can get any.

Talking of buying food and drink in Britain, as I was earlier, I can't find a bottle of Kirschwasser anywhere I frequent for love nor money.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112503 on: January 28, 2022, 12:32:36 am »
BU, you ARE making fun of us, aren't you? Nobody gets anything done with E12, and not much with E24!

It is useful for repairing stuff and it is my to-go box, when I'm volunteering in the Reparier-Bar.
Serves me well so far and when I'm in need of fancy values, then there is always the possibility to connect
two or three resistors in parallel and/or serial.
For tinkering around this is fine.
But those aren't my only resistors, there are other boxes with all kind of resistors.
SMD, high power, fancy E96 values etc. but they aren't sorted very well.
Actually, I'm planning to get me a Raaco 1200 system and store the resistors in small zip-lock bags,
so I can use the space in the drawers more efficiently. Sorting system will be for a first attempt a .csv file,
which can be easily read by Excel or similar.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112504 on: January 28, 2022, 12:39:14 am »
If there's anybody who would do it the hard way just to tweak the shrew-disciple's nose, it is you. :-DD

mnem
I'm certain that tinkerdwagon collateral damage was just the frosting on that Black Forest Cake... ;)

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte? Now we're talking. Black Forest Gateaux, as it gets called here, is regarded as a bit naif in Britain but personally I love a generous helping or three whenever I can get any.

Talking of buying food and drink in Britain, as I was earlier, I can't find a bottle of Kirschwasser anywhere I frequent for love nor money.

My version of a genuine Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte:

:popcorn:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al, duckduck, BILLPOD, Atomillo

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112505 on: January 28, 2022, 12:40:36 am »
BU, you ARE making fun of us, aren't you? Nobody gets anything done with E12, and not much with E24!

It is useful for repairing stuff and it is my to-go box, when I'm volunteering in the Reparier-Bar.

That makes me wonder what else you take along on those venues.
I mean, are the things to repair always that nice to you so that they fail only at the 0.6W resistors?
And what sort and range of caps, fuses, semiconductors, ICs do you take along?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112506 on: January 28, 2022, 01:03:10 am »

mnem

Well, all very nice, but I don't see the box with my address on!?!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Atomillo

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112507 on: January 28, 2022, 01:06:33 am »

I mean, are the things to repair always that nice to you so that they fail only at the 0.6W resistors?

Of course, they aren't all the time nice 0.6W resistors. Most times, they are even smaller.
But I'm using them only, if a repair is simple, some electronic toys for children I have repaired this way.

Regarding the capacitors, I have a collection of some electrolytic caps. If it fits, fine but most time I use them just on a temporary basis, e.g. when a capacitor has lost its capacity, I'll replace it with a similar value and check, if something else is wrong.
I have also a collection with X2 and Y1 capacitors with me. But when it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm always replacing them with the original values, because of safety and EMC reasons. Fuses, I have also a collection slow-blow (and some fast-blowing) fuses. But the same applies here: if I don't have the correct value, I'll order the fuse and change it at the next Reparier-Bar. As for semiconductors or IC's: I have only some basic parts with me, most of them are diodes and rectifiers. All other parts will be ordered, if a repair of the device makes sense.

But this is only true for easy to find issues. If I can see, that the error is beyond the time limit (about 30 - 60 min. per device) I always recommend the people to give the device to a professional repair server. The Reparier-Bar is not a competing repair service. I have made one exception since, when I took a Braun Filmprojektor to my home lab and repaired it, because the customer begged me really hard to do so.

I'm also reluctant to repair stuff when I have the impression, the people are using us to save money, but could afford it otherwise. I've rejected to repair a high-end video recorder from Loewe, which had some mechanical issues. It needed some adjustments with some special tools, which I do not have and some cleaning. I recommended the people who brought it to the Reparier-Bar to bring it to a professional repair service.

What happens quite often is repairing / replacing cables, replacing plugs etc. One time I had a vacuum cleaner with worn out coals. Ordered them (was about EUR 15.- for the pair) changed them and we had a happy customer again. The elderly lady was delighted, that she was able to use it again. :-)
IIRC it was a Hoover branded one.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112508 on: January 28, 2022, 01:10:00 am »
Well, all very nice, but I don't see the box with my address on!?!

This works the other way around: if you ever going to visit me, then I'll serve you a Schwarzwälder Kirschtore, made by myself.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112509 on: January 28, 2022, 01:55:48 am »
I'll bring the beer and a big chunk of pig.  (I know the way to a German boy's heart. :))

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112510 on: January 28, 2022, 02:05:58 am »

Of course, they aren't all the time nice 0.6W resistors. Most times, they are even smaller.
But I'm using them only, if a repair is simple, some electronic toys for children I have repaired this way.

Regarding the capacitors, I have a collection of some electrolytic caps. If it fits, fine but most time I use them just on a temporary basis, e.g. when a capacitor has lost its capacity, I'll replace it with a similar value and check, if something else is wrong.
I have also a collection with X2 and Y1 capacitors with me. But when it comes to this kind of stuff, I'm always replacing them with the original values, because of safety and EMC reasons. Fuses, I have also a collection slow-blow (and some fast-blowing) fuses. But the same applies here: if I don't have the correct value, I'll order the fuse and change it at the next Reparier-Bar. As for semiconductors or IC's: I have only some basic parts with me, most of them are diodes and rectifiers. All other parts will be ordered, if a repair of the device makes sense.

But this is only true for easy to find issues. If I can see, that the error is beyond the time limit (about 30 - 60 min. per device) I always recommend the people to give the device to a professional repair server. The Reparier-Bar is not a competing repair service. I have made one exception since, when I took a Braun Filmprojektor to my home lab and repaired it, because the customer begged me really hard to do so.

I'm also reluctant to repair stuff when I have the impression, the people are using us to save money, but could afford it otherwise. I've rejected to repair a high-end video recorder from Loewe, which had some mechanical issues. It needed some adjustments with some special tools, which I do not have and some cleaning. I recommended the people who brought it to the Reparier-Bar to bring it to a professional repair service.

What happens quite often is repairing / replacing cables, replacing plugs etc. One time I had a vacuum cleaner with worn out coals. Ordered them (was about EUR 15.- for the pair) changed them and we had a happy customer again. The elderly lady was delighted, that she was able to use it again. :-)
IIRC it was a Hoover branded one.
You are probably right. Any other approach ends with escalating transport requirements.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #112511 on: January 28, 2022, 02:14:08 am »
Oh, a good baguette would be novel; what they have here is more like long skinny Ciabatta bread.  :o  Even fresh and warm from the bakery it's still hard as a rock on the heels, which is my favorite part of a proper baguette. :palm:

mnem
more a self-defense weapon than food, says I... :o
Yes, the Italians bake 'em sturdy, in case they meet some French on the way home!

Huh... according to the relevant wiki, Ciabatta is a modern (80s) invention... created in response to the popularity of baguettes. :o

Ummmmm... FAIL!  :-DD

Don't get me wrong... I like a juicy grilled steak & onion with a nice aged Parmesan on Ciabatta... but as a substitute for baguettes, especially with wine & cheese or with my coffee...? That's like bringing a salami to a gunfight. ;)

mnem
Just say no to crappy baguette.

If you are in Italy buy ciabattas, if you are in France buy baguettes.
I will not comment further  >:D
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #112512 on: January 28, 2022, 02:41:04 am »

mnem

I made one of those about 12 years ago.  It was delicious, but looked nowhere near as good as yours does presentation wise - I'd expect to see something like that in a display case at a high end cake shop.  VERY nicely done! <drool>

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #112513 on: January 28, 2022, 02:45:48 am »
Seems, you've copied the complete URL, created the URL-tag with the button from above, inserted the URL and then somehow copied the URL and managed to delete the exclamation mark.

Or the forum software has cut off the exclamation mark.

Either way, I see this kind of not working URLs from time to time and afair it was always a special character involved.

In the first message, I had brain fade and forgot about the link tags - I just copied the link from the address bar and pasted it straightaway into the message.  Apparently for 'normal' links, that'll work, but the exclamation mark at the end seems to have confused it.  The link in the second message was again from the address bar, but this time I remembered to use the link tags when I inserted it.  That one then (at least for me) worked from the posted reply.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #112514 on: January 28, 2022, 03:04:18 am »
Interesting, my HP48GX gives .999998113101 to the sin/cos/tan thing, but my HP48GII gives 1.

The HP48GX will give 1 in RAD mode.

Geez.  I didn't even think to check that.  I wondered why two related HP calculators gave different results. I bet the GX is set to degrees.  And I had even read earlier in the thread that DEG/RAD mode made a difference. 

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112515 on: January 28, 2022, 03:09:58 am »
RESISTOR STORAGE

Thanks everybody for your replies, much appreciated !  :-+

That helped a lot.

I think I will stick them in ziplock bags and print nice labels on them like BU did.
Have ordered the bags a minute ago, was very affordable, only 5 Euros for 100 of them in the size Cerebus advised, 60x80mm, with free shipping and... miracle it does not come from China but from good old France !  :o  So I will get them in 3 days not 3 months !  :D

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/313614869927

Now need to order labels of the proper dimensions for my laser printer.

As for the bags, I think I will go with an open box rather than small drawers, for I have big hands and big fingers. It's more comfortable and faster for me to flick through the bags in a box, like you would with music discs in a music store.. than trying to grab tightly packed bags in a tiny drawer. Will try anyway, to double-check, but I anticipate a box (or large drawer like Mansaxel said), will be more practical in my case.. pun half intended, forgive me it's 4AM here  ::)
Like Cerebus idea too, little cardboard dividers to materialize the switch from one decade to the next, will make the search even faster.

I think I like that... can't wait to receive the bags and start printing all those labels ! >:D

@BU : you said 100 of each, metal oxide... that must cost an absolute fortune... do the Chinese make affordable resistor kits ?? Links/suppliers ?? Or are you just very wealthy ? Or  you stole all of that from work !  >:D   .. or has the price of metal resistors dropped a lot since I last looked at it 30 years ago when I bought my resistors ?!  :-[

@Neomy : I am no design engineer but from all the TE (mostly Tek scopes...) and consumer electronics I ever worked on, 5% / E24 has always been the default (looking at the boards physically, and looking at the parts list which makes it clear...).... they use precision resistors only when absolutely strictly necessary, for obvious reasons of cost I would imagine.
And even within the E24 series, they use as few different values as possible, to optimize the BOM. Like, don't be a dick and specify a 910R or 1.1k resistor.. if a 1k would work just as well in the real world !

Granted, I have only worked on old stuff, up to the late '90s.... I don't know what modern gear, professional or consumer, is like these days... but I would still guess that the same principles of cost and BOM optimizations would apply today ?

For repair work or for my very light and humble design work as a hobbyist, E24 is good enough. If a repair needs a precision resistor I can as BU said cobble one together with a combination of a couple E24 resistors... and if I really care, I can always buy that one precision resistor later to make a nice tidy repair. Same for design work... cobble something together at the early prototype stage until you can get a proof of concept working... then you can buy the nice new precision (or power) resistor that's perfect.

Unless (like you it seems ?) you make heavy, heavy, constant use of precision resistors in every design or repair that you work on.... then paying a mega fortune to stock on every E48 or 96 value just does not make financial sense to me ?  Don't mean to start a whole discussion or argument about this, merely meant to throw my view on it and run away !  :-DD

At least for me, all I can afford and justify is stocking on the E24, maybe 1% metal like BU, if prices really have come down in 30 years, but unlike BU I certainly won't be able to afford 100 of each, I think !  :o
Maybe x50 of the "10" ones, and x20 of the E12 and x10 of the remaining values, say. It's really a cost issue here... pragmatism  :-//

Again if one can buy complete kits for an affordable price from somewhere, please share your sources !  >:D
Otherwise it's gonna be Farnell, so depending on their pricing, quantities ordered will follow consequently.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:26:26 am by Vince »

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #112516 on: January 28, 2022, 03:27:08 am »
Vince what have you done without us for so many years?

;) :D
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #112517 on: January 28, 2022, 04:07:21 am »
Question.

Here are my old drawers I got as a teen, where I stored all my brand new 5% resistors.

I am wondering if there is a solution to store that kind of component, 2 legged axial low power stuff like these resistor..... in a much more compact/efficient manner ?

How do you people store your new resistors ? Was wondering if maybe something like a binder with plastic "sleeves" of a special design... a bit like the "sample books" for small surface mount components ? Is there a company somewhere that sells plastic inserts for binders, custom designed for that kind of purpose ? I don't even know if that's doable or a good idea... just to illustrate an example of compact storage... I am open sto any design or suggestion ! Maybe there is none, I don't know... but if there is a more compact way than wasting drawers space, I would like to hear about it and consider it !

These drawers could still be used , much more efficiently, to store all sorts of small parts like fuses, fuse holders, buzzers,  trannies, diode bridges, caps, trimmers, 7 segment LED displays, small misc H/W like ferrite beads, plastic standoffs, small heat sinks for small package trannies, rubber feet ... a ton of misc stuff ! ... but axial resistors no, IMHO ?!  :-//

Tell me all about your cool storage solutions and ideas, links to products, anything... help me !!!  :D

How about the sleeves used to hold basketball cards etc?
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #112518 on: January 28, 2022, 06:26:03 am »
Vince what have you done without us for so many years?

;) :D

He's been doing that A.I. thing......   Accumulating Inventory.

The collection has reached such a size and diversity that it now verges on becoming self-aware and he has turned to us to assist!

Probably too late to save him .... but we like voyeuristic pastimes, don't we people?!!    >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #112519 on: January 28, 2022, 06:46:39 am »
Just was inspired to set a dough, so tomorrow morning I'll be able to make 3 good baguettes.

Motivated you are, I admire...

There is motivation.

Offline duckduck

• Frequent Contributor
  • 20Hz < fun < 20kHz, and RF is Really Fun
« Reply #112520 on: January 28, 2022, 07:40:46 am »
New acquisition:

Fluke VT04A (handheld IR camera)

I've been wanting an IR camera since I started reading the TEA forum (gee, thanks...) but, being a miser, never wanted to spend the money. This popped up for cheap so I snagged it. This is one of the more fun TEs to play with in and around the house.

The batteries are stamped "Made in Belgium". Well, that's funny. The unit is made in the UK. Well, that explains it. The batteries must be the ones that came with the camera. They were full, according to the battery meter on the camera display. The camera and case appear to be completely unused and 100% new.

The Fluke VT04A has been discontinued. The VT04 has a replaceable lithium rechargeable battery, the VT04A takes 4x AA batteries. Fluke says that it gets about 5 hours of run-time on a set of batteries. It's got both an IR camera and a visible-light camera that it can mix at different ratios. It also has "Near" and "Far" modes to help correct for parallax between the two cameras. That feature seems to work OK. It can save pictures in a format to work with some Fluke software, or else BMP. It came with a 4GB microSD card.

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/product/temperature-measurement/ir-thermometers/vt04

I tried NiMH batteries and it refused to power on  :-- I removed the alkaline primary batteries once I finished playing with the camera. I'll have to buy one of those knock-off Pelican cases to store this camera in so I can store the batteries separately in the case.

I recently ordered a couple of 200W 8R from AliExpress to build a proper power sink to burn-in audio amplifiers. I thought that warming one up would make a pretty show for the nice people in the computer. I put 200W into it from my DC power supply and just as quick as I could put it in the frame of my new camera "Oh, I popped it". 200W, my ass. Yes, I know it's supposed to be bolted to a heat sink with thermal compound but it really didn't even have time to get very hot. Boo! Buy the cheapest resistor = get the cheapest resistor. I have proved nothing. Are you not entertained?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 07:42:31 am by duckduck »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Mortymore, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112521 on: January 28, 2022, 08:16:01 am »
I'll bring the beer and a big chunk of pig.  (I know the way to a German boy's heart. :))

I'm afraid, I have to disappoint you:
I don't drink beer and I'm trying to avoid meat and pig meat in special (but I'm not a vegetarian).
But for my guest, if they like that, I'll get very good meat from the supermarket next town.  :D

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #112522 on: January 28, 2022, 08:20:04 am »
@BU : you said 100 of each, metal oxide... that must cost an absolute fortune... do the Chinese make affordable resistor kits ?? Links/suppliers ?? Or are you just very wealthy ? Or  you stole all of that from work !  >:D   .. or has the price of metal resistors dropped a lot since I last looked at it 30 years ago when I bought my resistors ?!  :-[

I've bought this collection but paid 10 Euro less:

6100 resistors with E12 values from 10Ohm to 1MOhm.
I've added over time some more values.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/331200118500

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:23:59 am by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112523 on: January 28, 2022, 08:52:28 am »
Question.

[

I have a very old RS component case. It was designed for the job. It's a medium sized plastic case with a foam insert carrying an array of plastic tubes long enough to hold reistors. It even came with a set of labels. Unlike the modern books it can hold a usable quanty of resistors not just 10 r so. Shame they don't sell them any more
An alternative wound be flat bottomed "specimen" tubes in CD sized really useful box. This sort of thing
https://www.nhbs.com/plastic-specimen-tubes  £15 for 100.
You can also keep them in your existing drawer units.

Edit Photos added. This is TEA. This box is about 30 years old!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 11:35:14 am by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112524 on: January 28, 2022, 09:23:10 am »
Storing Resistors:

Here's my makeshift solution. I took a stack of old unused envelopes with rotten adhesive and put all powers of ten into one. Advantage above zip bags: You can easily make notes, e.g. what's inside.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf