Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14910167 times)

Robert763, K0ELB, dazz1, zepto and 225 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120375 on: May 22, 2022, 05:01:31 pm »
We are living in different worlds.

E,
Was it Luton?
Almost Premier.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:05:32 pm by m k »
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120376 on: May 22, 2022, 05:14:51 pm »
So my DD haul was:

1/ Tektronix P4046 differential probe in the case with amplifier, PSU (115V) attenuator tip condoms £10  ;D
2/ HP3466A £20 needs a couple of switc caps but I have some in stock. Naice that it is 4.5 digit and has "20" ranges
3/ Racal Dana 4009 A.K.A TTI 1905A computing 5.5 digit DMM. £15
4/ A box of "probes" £15. This inculded a Tek P2021 current probe with terminator  ;D  a spare P4046 several HP and TEK scope probes, older, but some unused. also some cheap Coline probes. I flipped 4 of those for £10 before I left.
5/ Time 1049 PT100 simulator (part of a deal, say £20)
6/ NI PCI GPIB card NIB £10
7/ NI ISA GPIB card £10 including "free" industrial 19" PC with a couple of mystery I/O cards and a Garmin GPS II
( @Vince , were you looking for one of these ISA GPIB cards)
8/ Weir 0-13V AC 0-17V DC power supply (0.7A variac + mains transformer and rectifier) £2
9/ Two odd AC "amplifiers". Custom made. each with a mains toroid DC supply, ILP 25W power amp module with 10T pot on input. One then has a back to front current transforme on the output with two taps 0-1A and 0-5A output. The other has a custom transformer woth 0-150V, 0-300V and 0-600V taps. Probably used as a calibration source well worth £20 the pair even for bits.
11/ Victoreen (Fluke) 440RF/D part of a trade basically profit.
12/ Box of Fluke temeperature (type K) interfaces and probes and two Fluke 80J10 10A 0.25% shunts. Need to sort through the probes £5
13/ Data Translation DT3000 16 channel 100kHz ADC + DAc PCI card with leads and two nice BNC breakout boxes. £5.
14/ Two L1000 "low delay video encoders". 1u  half rack box with LCD on front, BNCs, 9 D and filtered IEC inlet on back. £0 (free). Picked up for parts but these may have some value. Video ot SDI in MPEG data, ASI and 70MHz baseband out.
Also met some friensds and had a chat. Overall a good day.

Good haul there, that Racal Dana 4009 also has a decent 6.5 digit mode as well, just press button with the 2 stars on it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120377 on: May 22, 2022, 05:21:17 pm »
Chris, welcome to the 3456A club. If there's any measurements you need to get your sick one up and running left me know.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120378 on: May 22, 2022, 05:26:33 pm »
Not quite - 3465A club. Slightly less good  :-DD

Only reason I bought it was celebrity usage

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 05:28:16 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120379 on: May 22, 2022, 05:32:54 pm »

Oops, I guess I have dyslexia too.  :P :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120380 on: May 22, 2022, 05:36:31 pm »
 :-DD :-DD

Now getting reamed for test leads  :scared:.

2x Pomona 3782-36-02 minigrabber set
1x Keysight 34138A probe set

And there goes 63 quid...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #120381 on: May 22, 2022, 06:01:29 pm »
Again a new video from Shahriar, this time about a Qualcomm's 60GHz Multi-Panel Phased Array WiGig System.

And, as bonus, a screenshot from the intro.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 06:41:20 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bingo600, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120382 on: May 22, 2022, 06:09:33 pm »
Again a new video freom Shahriar, this time about a Qualcomm's 60GHz Multi-Panel Phased Array WiGig System.

And, as bonus, a screenshot from the intro.

If I had a lab like his I think I would lock myself in and never come out.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120383 on: May 22, 2022, 06:42:58 pm »
Boring Mundane Everyday Print #312: Meanwell PSU Endcaps   

AutoDesk Online 3D Viewer

I've had this ugly-ass Meanwell 24V PSU on my desk ever since the original power brick from my 32" Cinema display kakked. I finally got tired enough of looking at it to do something; I decided to whip this out so I could put it away.

Endcaps are a press-fit, and allow for use of a salvaged C14 socket and DC power cord from an old AiO PC. And I finally found a use for Deans' connectors that doesn't make me wanna cringe.  :-DD   This is actually part 1 of a bigger project; if part 2 is successful, I'll update with more pics.

As always; full details and 3DP nerd stats are over on the 3DP thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/3d-printer-yet/msg4188976/#msg4188976

mnem

I'm in two minds about this.

On the one hand it's neat and does improve the safety of the PSU, covering up bare mains terminals. On the other hand that's a PSU that's designed to be fully enclosed, in particular the mesh that's on it doesn't meet, and was never intended to meet, safety rules for Nicht gefingerpoken, nicht cokensplaschen. So having a more consumer friendly wrapping with an IEC 60320 socket about the naked OEM supply makes it more likely that it might get used or handled in situations and by people who shouldn't use it. The "it's obviously made to be plugged in" look versus the "it's obviously made for experts" look make it a temptation for fiddling with by the uninformed and unwary.

In your own house it's down to how likely other people are to obey a "This here. Don't touch! Only for use of chief monkey!" instruction but I'm still not too sure that I'd be comfortable with it in my house where compliance is a dead certainty. If it were my house and used on a monitor where someone might conceivably go "It's not working, I'll follow the cables with my fingers behind this desk while leaning over it wearing this metal chain around my neck to see if it's got power" I'd be much happier putting it in an earthed metal case or a proper double insulated enclosure.

Perhaps a 3DP case that fully encloses it ought to go into the design queue. If nothing else, the challenge of designing one for 3DP that meets ventilation and Nicht gefingerpoken, nicht cokensplaschen requirements (e.g. IEC 60950) ought to be an interesting challenge.
As long as there are no 3 year olds, I doubt that an adult can get their fingers through that mesh...

I think the actual real risk is a Bumblebutt propelled loose screw or tool knocked off the back of the bench.

I'm not gonna own up to the number of those style of PSUs that I've fried with a dropped tool/part when they're inside some other equipment that I've been conducting open chassis/case measurements with the power on. Let's just say that the number is higher than zero... [Fx: wanders off whistling an innocent tune]

Some people can get a bit anal about electrical safety and strictly they are right, but when it comes to stuff that stays in the lab I'm prepared to be a bit more laissez-faire as long as people aren't being idiots and some sort of actually useful risk assessment has gone through their heads. So I'm most definitely not saying this is out and out dangerous, just "Is it worth considering something a bit more enclosed?".

There is no exposed opening larger than 5mm diameter. The entire point of these endcaps is to cover everything that was small enough to get a finger into.  ;) Now screwdrivers and other slim metallic bits... well, that's another point; but even today we make all sorts of gear with long slim slots big enough to stick a ruler or drop coins into...

TL/DR version: There's a reason I'm still keeping it stashed away under my desk; I feel that there it is more than safe enough.

Also, the whole project is quite in keeping with the Vince's "just what I have lying around" design ethos. :-DD

It's an old-ass mac. Nobody (besides the dwagon himself) gonna use it voluntarily anyway  ::)

Y'all kin kiss muh scaly dwagon arse;  ;) since I put this PSU in service, the reason I keep using the ol' MacPro is cuz it's right there in the corner of the living room, and most of the time It Just Works™. For the same reason, my wife and son also use it. Well, that and the 32" Cinema display, which even tho it is 13 years old, is still quite glorious, even by today's standards.

Yeah, it's old... but this was a professional workstation back when it was made, not some crunk-ass old Screamin' Mimi Mac G5, so even now it is still a more than capable daily driver, and it is a great platform to learn on. I run Fusion360 and Cura on it and it more than handles them, and quirks of the OS aside, the learning curve has not been at all steep.

Unlike MS-WTF-ever, the underlying filesystem and memory management isn't a teetering inverted pyramid on top of a tiny Pliocene era coprolite of code; so sleep/resume actually work seamlessly and painlessly, and I pretty much reboot like once a week whether it needs it or not. :-//

I got the thing for free. I've spent maybe $100 fixing it up, and I've learned a fekking lot from that and from using it.  :-+

What will put the last nail in its coffin will be when fanatics stop supporting it with patched software... then it'll have to become a *NIX box. Which, from personal experience, it is also a more than capable machine. :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:02:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120384 on: May 22, 2022, 06:58:23 pm »
Just got in from having dinner in the garden, very pleasant.

I now know that the cat really likes barbecued swordfish.  Really likes as in "I'm going to claw a hole in your elbow if that fork doesn't come down to my mouth right now!" likes.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, Neper

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120385 on: May 22, 2022, 07:00:33 pm »
Have you tried barbecued cat? You don’t have to even eat it  :popcorn:

Round two of orders done. CPC this time. Component stock, Bulgin plug (thanks factory), new wire strippers. Place your bets: will they screw it up?

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:08:54 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120387 on: May 22, 2022, 07:10:30 pm »

The cat's asking me "What marinade goes best on long pig?" and "Where's your spare pay-as-you-go Oyster card?".  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120389 on: May 22, 2022, 07:12:43 pm »

The cat's asking me "What marinade goes best on long pig?" and "Where's your spare pay-as-you-go Oyster card?".  >:D

That’s why you need to barbecue it before it gets you  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120390 on: May 22, 2022, 07:25:30 pm »
So my DD haul was:

1/ Tektronix P4046 differential probe in the case with amplifier, PSU (115V) attenuator tip condoms £10  ;D
2/ HP3466A £20 needs a couple of switc caps but I have some in stock. Naice that it is 4.5 digit and has "20" ranges
4/ A box of "probes" £15. This inculded a Tek P2021 current probe with terminator  ;D  a spare P4046 several HP and TEK scope probes, older, but some unused. also some cheap Coline probes. I flipped 4 of those for £10 before I left.
7/ NI ISA GPIB card £10 including "free" industrial 19" PC with a couple of mystery I/O cards and a Garmin GPS II

8/ Weir 0-13V AC 0-17V DC power supply (0.7A variac + mains transformer and rectifier) £2
9/ Two odd AC "amplifiers". Custom made. each with a mains toroid DC supply, ILP 25W power amp module with 10T pot on input. One then has a back to front current transforme on the output with two taps 0-1A and 0-5A output. The other has a custom transformer woth 0-150V, 0-300V and 0-600V taps. Probably used as a calibration source well worth £20 the pair even for bits.
12/ Box of Fluke temeperature (type K) interfaces and probes and two Fluke 80J10 10A 0.25% shunts. Need to sort through the probes £5
13/ Data Translation DT3000 16 channel 100kHz ADC + DAc PCI card with leads and two nice BNC breakout boxes. £5.
14/ Two L1000 "low delay video encoders". 1u  half rack box with LCD on front, BNCs, 9 D and filtered IEC inlet on back. £0 (free). Picked up for parts but these may have some value. Video ot SDI in MPEG data, ASI and 70MHz baseband out.
Also met some friends and had a chat. Overall a good day.

Wow I am surprised at the stuff you got.... that's not really the kind of stuff I would expect grey beards to sell at a HAM fest ?!  :-//
... maybe it was not a HAM thing then, but a general purpose electronics fair ? Didn't even know these existed in this day and age... I could vaguely understand how HAM fest might still exist, yet they are declining from what I gather so... I don't even know how a general purpose electronics fair can even be put together. I am stunned.... but it's very cool !! I guess there aren't many of these a year... once a year is incredible enough...  So how big was it then ? How many people / stalls where there, selling stuff ?

Would be cool if there were something like this in Frog land !  >:D

Anyway, yeah I am tempted by a genuine NI ISA GPIB card, just like TerraOperative because the Tek calibration S/W for TDS scopes  only works with ISA not PCI, somehow.
I do already have both an ISA and PCI GPIB cards, bought 4 or 5 years ago when I worked on my TDS 544A to fix it.
ISTR that one of them was a genuine NI card but I can't remember if that was the PCI or ISA.
What I do remember is that I tried the calibration S/W and although it did load, I could not get it do anything whatsoever.....  I am now wondering retrospectively if that might have been because my ISA card is not genuine, in case it isn't. Again I can't remember if it is or not...  :-//  I was not aware of this "ISA only" issue back then.

I don't even know where I have stored these cards, they are still buried in some box somewhere... I just thought that just in case my ISA was not the genuine NI kind, might be a good idea to get one if I come across a reasonably priced one, because they don't exactly grow on trees do they...  :-\

There is one for sale here locally, which I have already posted about.... but the  guy wants 60 Euros for it so no thank you...good luck finding someone gullible enough to buy it at that price...

https://www.leboncoin.fr/informatique/1863474769.htm

He listed it 6 months and 3 days ago now... he won't even lower the price, sticks to 60 Euros...  ::)

Gimme your price with shipping included and I will see !  >:D

You got it for 10 Quid with a rack and lots of other cool stuff... I will give you your 10 Pounds back and you can keep all the other stuff to flip on Ebay !  >:D
OK... 25 Quid shipped, what about that ?!  :P 

Yeah you can probably make more money on Ebay, too bad for me !  :-DD

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 07:29:34 pm by Vince »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120391 on: May 22, 2022, 07:33:48 pm »
Just got in from having dinner in the garden, very pleasant.

I now know that the cat really likes barbecued swordfish.  Really likes as in "I'm going to claw a hole in your elbow if that fork doesn't come down to my mouth right now!" likes.  :)

Don't think you'd find dinner very pleasant in my garden at this moment. It's 95F (35C) out there. My dinner will be in my very pleasant kitchen currently at 75F (24C).  :-+ 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #120392 on: May 22, 2022, 07:43:10 pm »
Any idea where I can get a bulgin plug for it?

If all other routes fail try your local theatrical supplier as there the almost standard connector used on  pyro equipment.

I suppose the horrible things only have to work once :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120393 on: May 22, 2022, 07:48:18 pm »
So my DD haul was:

Also met some friends and had a chat. Overall a good day.

I'm glad I didn't know about all those before you left. If I had I would have begun to resemble a Martian.

Curiously my daughter did make one of here friends turn green. The first school day after our first skiing holiday she took sandwiches for lunch. Her friend innocently asked what was in them. Reindeer, and quite nice it was too.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120394 on: May 22, 2022, 07:50:54 pm »

Don't you mean cargo-cult engineering? (With apologies to Richard Feynmann)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120395 on: May 22, 2022, 08:06:40 pm »

Don't you mean cargo-cult engineering? (With apologies to Richard Feynmann)

That’s about right  :-DD

I think the line of thought was:

1. Ooh HP box
2. Ooh LEDs
3. Hmm I bet it doesn’t work.
4. Quickly google the service manual.
5. Ok worth a risk
6. Oh yes Williams had one of these.
7. It’s sold!

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, med6753, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120396 on: May 22, 2022, 08:18:23 pm »
Ok, have just got around to rebuilding the computer monitor power supply, to reassemble and power it up to see if it goes flash bang wallop again  :-DD Now, do I bring it up slowly on a variac or do I use the dim bulb method  :-//

Am I right in thinking that a SMPS won't power up on a variac or not  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120397 on: May 22, 2022, 08:18:38 pm »

I'm glad I didn't know about all those before you left. If I had I would have begun to resemble a Martian.

Like this:

this:

or this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120398 on: May 22, 2022, 08:21:34 pm »

Ok, I give up, who is this celebrity who had it before you?

EDIT:

Looking at the state of the bench, the TEK in the foreground, it could only by Jim Williams yes?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 08:42:17 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #120399 on: May 22, 2022, 08:23:41 pm »
Ok, have just got around to rebuilding the computer monitor power supply, to reassemble and power it up to see if it goes flash bang wallop again  :-DD Now, do I bring it up slowly on a variac or do I use the dim bulb method  :-//

Am I right in thinking that a SMPS won't power up on a variac or not  :-//
Either, take your pick however a SMPS often won't kick off without some ~80V pushed into it from a variac.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf