Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14880566 times)

Sariel and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120400 on: May 22, 2022, 08:33:01 pm »
Thanks, I've just managed to replace two 0805 resistors that blew, soldered them by hand, first one went a bit skewy but is OK and the second one went perfectly straight  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #120401 on: May 22, 2022, 08:36:40 pm »

Yea that’s the one. Any idea where I can get a bulgin plug for it?

If the rest of it works ok I’m probably going to build a modern battery module for it. Might end up with a USB-C socket in it  :-DD

I bought one from Mouser, the crappy one without strain relief, for my Solartron DVM. Think they've got the slightly better one too.

You put me on track to it :-DD

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120402 on: May 22, 2022, 08:46:06 pm »

I'm glad I didn't know about all those before you left. If I had I would have begun to resemble a Martian.

Like this:      this:      or this?   

More like this, I s'pect...   

mnem
"Where's the KABOOM!?! There was supposed to be a Earth-shattering KABOOM!!!"    :-DD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:23:52 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #120403 on: May 22, 2022, 08:49:33 pm »

Curiously my daughter did make one of here friends turn green. The first school day after our first skiing holiday she took sandwiches for lunch. Her friend innocently asked what was in them. Reindeer, and quite nice it was too.

Reindeer is excellent. One of the more accessible variants is "Renskav", literally "Reindeer shavings" which is thinly sliced small pieces of meat, frozen, that typically go in stews and the like; fried, with chopped onion, perhaps some mushrooms, cream added, as is salt, pepper, crushed juniper berries, and then left to simmer.

Serve with mashed potatoes, and lingonberry jam.

Also, smoked reindeer is a treat!

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120404 on: May 22, 2022, 08:58:27 pm »
...Also, smoked reindeer is a treat!

Tried that once; went back to weed. It tastes better and doesn't give you antler-rash.  :-DD

mnem
"Rudy the red-hosed shaman... had a very rosy hose..."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120405 on: May 22, 2022, 09:03:25 pm »
So my DD haul was:

1/ Tektronix P6046 differential probe in the case with amplifier, PSU (115V) attenuator tip condoms £10  ;D
2/ HP3466A £20 needs a couple of switc caps but I have some in stock. Naice that it is 4.5 digit and has "20" ranges
3/ Racal Dana 4009 A.K.A TTI 1905A computing 5.5 digit DMM. £15
4/ A box of "probes" £15. This inculded a Tek P2021 current probe with terminator  ;D  a spare P4046 several HP and TEK scope probes, older, but some unused. also some cheap Coline probes. I flipped 4 of those for £10 before I left.
5/ Time 1049 PT100 simulator (part of a deal, say £20)
6/ NI PCI GPIB card NIB £10
7/ NI ISA GPIB card £10 including "free" industrial 19" PC with a couple of mystery I/O cards and a Garmin GPS II
( @Vince , were you looking for one of these ISA GPIB cards)

8/ Weir 0-13V AC 0-17V DC power supply (0.7A variac + mains transformer and rectifier) £2
9/ Two odd AC "amplifiers". Custom made. each with a mains toroid DC supply, ILP 25W power amp module with 10T pot on input. One then has a back to front current transforme on the output with two taps 0-1A and 0-5A output. The other has a custom transformer woth 0-150V, 0-300V and 0-600V taps. Probably used as a calibration source well worth £20 the pair even for bits.
11/ Victoreen (Fluke) 440RF/D part of a trade basically profit.
12/ Box of Fluke temeperature (type K) interfaces and probes and two Fluke 80J10 10A 0.25% shunts. Need to sort through the probes £5
13/ Data Translation DT3000 16 channel 100kHz ADC + DAc PCI card with leads and two nice BNC breakout boxes. £5.
14/ Two L1000 "low delay video encoders". 1u  half rack box with LCD on front, BNCs, 9 D and filtered IEC inlet on back. £0 (free). Picked up for parts but these may have some value. Video ot SDI in MPEG data, ASI and 70MHz baseband out.
Also met some friends and had a chat. Overall a good day.

Wow I am surprised at the stuff you got.... that's not really the kind of stuff I would expect grey beards to sell at a HAM fest ?!  :-//
... maybe it was not a HAM thing then, but a general purpose electronics fair ? Didn't even know these existed in this day and age... I could vaguely understand how HAM fest might still exist, yet they are declining from what I gather so... I don't even know how a general purpose electronics fair can even be put together. I am stunned.... but it's very cool !! I guess there aren't many of these a year... once a year is incredible enough...  So how big was it then ? How many people / stalls where there, selling stuff ?

Would be cool if there were something like this in Frog land !  >:D

Anyway, yeah I am tempted by a genuine NI ISA GPIB card, just like TerraOperative because the Tek calibration S/W for TDS scopes  only works with ISA not PCI, somehow.
I do already have both an ISA and PCI GPIB cards, bought 4 or 5 years ago when I worked on my TDS 544A to fix it.
ISTR that one of them was a genuine NI card but I can't remember if that was the PCI or ISA.
What I do remember is that I tried the calibration S/W and although it did load, I could not get it do anything whatsoever.....  I am now wondering retrospectively if that might have been because my ISA card is not genuine, in case it isn't. Again I can't remember if it is or not...  :-//  I was not aware of this "ISA only" issue back then.

I don't even know where I have stored these cards, they are still buried in some box somewhere... I just thought that just in case my ISA was not the genuine NI kind, might be a good idea to get one if I come across a reasonably priced one, because they don't exactly grow on trees do they...  :-\

There is one for sale here locally, which I have already posted about.... but the  guy wants 60 Euros for it so no thank you...good luck finding someone gullible enough to buy it at that price...

https://www.leboncoin.fr/informatique/1863474769.htm

He listed it 6 months and 3 days ago now... he won't even lower the price, sticks to 60 Euros...  ::)

Gimme your price with shipping included and I will see !  >:D

You got it for 10 Quid with a rack and lots of other cool stuff... I will give you your 10 Pounds back and you can keep all the other stuff to flip on Ebay !  >:D
OK... 25 Quid shipped, what about that ?!  :P 

Yeah you can probably make more money on Ebay, too bad for me !  :-DD

I was half thinking of you when I got it. £10 plus postage cost and it's yours. I'll pull it and take a photo when I get time.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 06:48:40 am by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120406 on: May 22, 2022, 09:04:12 pm »
      Got these comin' yet...?   ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4069663/#msg4069663

Ok added to shopping list. Definitely need them  :-DD
Yep. One of my most positive tool-time surprises in recent memory. :-+

Are they available at similar prices on your side of the pond? Approx $44 for both from our version of Bezos' Online Crack Shop...

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120407 on: May 22, 2022, 09:13:59 pm »
      Got these comin' yet...?   ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4069663/#msg4069663

Ok added to shopping list. Definitely need them  :-DD
Yep. One of my most positive tool-time surprises in recent memory. :-+

Are they available at similar prices on your side of the pond? Approx $44 for both from our version of Bezos' Online Crack Shop...

mnem
 :-/O

Haven’t looked yet to be honest. Still suffering from the pain of buying shit I accidentally threw away  :(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #120408 on: May 22, 2022, 09:19:31 pm »

Curiously my daughter did make one of here friends turn green. The first school day after our first skiing holiday she took sandwiches for lunch. Her friend innocently asked what was in them. Reindeer, and quite nice it was too.

Reindeer is excellent. One of the more accessible variants is "Renskav", literally "Reindeer shavings" which is thinly sliced small pieces of meat, frozen, that typically go in stews and the like; fried, with chopped onion, perhaps some mushrooms, cream added, as is salt, pepper, crushed juniper berries, and then left to simmer.

Serve with mashed potatoes, and lingonberry jam.

Sounds like the Swedish cultural equivalent of roastneef and yorkshire pudding with all the trimmings.

Can't get lingonberry jam here. I do,, however make make my own Rowan and crabapple jelly.

Oh well, back to my dried ham that has been stored under the stairs and is 6 months out of date :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120409 on: May 22, 2022, 09:22:08 pm »

Tried that once; went back to weed. It tastes better and doesn't give you antler-rash.  :-DD

mnem

Reindeer/moose is like beef, only better. Not as good as a well-hung pheasant, though.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #120410 on: May 22, 2022, 09:49:40 pm »

mnem

Reindeer/moose is like beef, only better. Not as good as a well-hung pheasant, though.
Not sure I agree about the pheasant with decades of shooting them to be qualified to make comment when the best venison I've sampled is from either Fallow or Sika, both kicking beef, pheasant or duck for that matter outta the park but closely followed by fat wild pork.

Only morning teatime in NZ and started dribbling already....  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120411 on: May 22, 2022, 09:52:55 pm »
Can't get lingonberry jam here.

You can, but it involves making a journey like Dante with Virgil by his side - you have to go to Ikea.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120412 on: May 22, 2022, 09:57:41 pm »

You can, but it involves making a journey like Dante with Virgil by his side - you have to go to Ikea.

That is annoyingly accurate ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120413 on: May 22, 2022, 10:03:51 pm »

mnem

Not sure I agree about the pheasant with decades of shooting them to be qualified to make comment when the best venison I've sampled is from either Fallow or Sika, both kicking beef, pheasant or duck for that matter outta the park but closely followed by fat wild pork.

Venison is good too:) must go back to the nearby venison farm to grope through their fridges and freezers.

Unfortunately roadkill venison with the local wild venison deer would be expensive in terms of car damage.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120414 on: May 22, 2022, 10:07:05 pm »
Reindeer is excellent.

I suppose it would be somewhat like venison which is also delicious.

The butchers store in our supermarket over in Belgium had smoked horse tenderloin for a while. Like Filet d'Anvers but horse instead of beef. Melted on your tongue. 

The fun lasted until the butcher's two little girls got wind of it. They raised hell until he stopped ordering more.

Made me wonder what smoked unicorn might taste like...  >:D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 10:10:34 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120415 on: May 23, 2022, 12:00:25 am »

Thigh-licking good, provided you get it while it's still dancing...  >:D

mnem
"You're still the one..."

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120416 on: May 23, 2022, 12:03:56 am »

mnem

Kangaroo is good, but people regard it as like someone from the USA munching on a bald eagle!
We kill them for pet food, though----go figure!  ::)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #120417 on: May 23, 2022, 12:29:09 am »

mnem

Kangaroo is good, but people regard it as like someone from the USA munching on a bald eagle!
Roo at a Perth restaurant was OK but our friends a bit NW at Calingiri say the Greys are good however around there numbers are low and they're giving them a spell so they can have them for a treat occasionally.

Hope we can get back over to catch up with them in the next year or so.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #120418 on: May 23, 2022, 05:10:14 am »

Get one of those and smoke it.  ;D

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, syau, Neper

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120419 on: May 23, 2022, 05:20:44 am »
So my DD haul was:

1/ Tektronix P4046 differential probe in the case with amplifier, PSU (115V) attenuator tip condoms £10  ;D
2/ HP3466A £20 needs a couple of switc caps but I have some in stock. Naice that it is 4.5 digit and has "20" ranges
4/ A box of "probes" £15. This inculded a Tek P2021 current probe with terminator  ;D  a spare P4046 several HP and TEK scope probes, older, but some unused. also some cheap Coline probes. I flipped 4 of those for £10 before I left.
7/ NI ISA GPIB card £10 including "free" industrial 19" PC with a couple of mystery I/O cards and a Garmin GPS II
8/ Weir 0-13V AC 0-17V DC power supply (0.7A variac + mains transformer and rectifier) £2
9/ Two odd AC "amplifiers". Custom made. each with a mains toroid DC supply, ILP 25W power amp module with 10T pot on input. One then has a back to front current transforme on the output with two taps 0-1A and 0-5A output. The other has a custom transformer woth 0-150V, 0-300V and 0-600V taps. Probably used as a calibration source well worth £20 the pair even for bits.
12/ Box of Fluke temeperature (type K) interfaces and probes and two Fluke 80J10 10A 0.25% shunts. Need to sort through the probes £5
13/ Data Translation DT3000 16 channel 100kHz ADC + DAc PCI card with leads and two nice BNC breakout boxes. £5.
14/ Two L1000 "low delay video encoders". 1u  half rack box with LCD on front, BNCs, 9 D and filtered IEC inlet on back. £0 (free). Picked up for parts but these may have some value. Video ot SDI in MPEG data, ASI and 70MHz baseband out.
Are you referring to the P6046 or is there a Tek differential probe I have not heard of? Normally I would have assumed a typo, but it appears in twoplaces in your post.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120420 on: May 23, 2022, 06:29:09 am »

Ah yes supplier of “meat” balls and hot “dogs”. Not a good reference. The only good food I found in IKEA was the diabetes sized bags of Daim bars for a fiver.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120421 on: May 23, 2022, 06:52:35 am »
So my DD haul was:

1/ Tektronix P6046 differential probe in the case with amplifier, PSU (115V) attenuator tip condoms £10  ;D
Are you referring to the P6046 or is there a Tek differential probe I have not heard of? Normally I would have assumed a typo, but it appears in twoplaces in your post.

DOH  :palm: yes P6046 one kit and one bare probe  Hope to test some stuff later.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120422 on: May 23, 2022, 06:56:32 am »
Reindeer is excellent.

I suppose it would be somewhat like venison which is also delicious.

The butchers store in our supermarket over in Belgium had smoked horse tenderloin for a while. Like Filet d'Anvers but horse instead of beef. Melted on your tongue. 

The fun lasted until the butcher's two little girls got wind of it. They raised hell until he stopped ordering more.

Eating horse is a cultural no-no in the UK.

Having said that, I remember a butcher that sold horse meat for human consumption in Kingston-upon-Thames market place. Can't find any reference to it, though

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120423 on: May 23, 2022, 06:58:18 am »

mnem

Over here it is a high-end meat for human consumption, like alligator and ostrich! Go figure.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120424 on: May 23, 2022, 07:01:02 am »
Ok, have just got around to rebuilding the computer monitor power supply, to reassemble and power it up to see if it goes flash bang wallop again  :-DD Now, do I bring it up slowly on a variac or do I use the dim bulb method  :-//

Am I right in thinking that a SMPS won't power up on a variac or not  :-//

SMPSs are constant power output devices. Low input voltage => high input current, which the diodes/transistors might not like.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf