Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556891 times)

Jambalaya and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120450 on: May 23, 2022, 12:49:02 pm »
Eating horse is a cultural no-no in the UK.

Having said that, I remember a butcher that sold horse meat for human consumption in Kingston-upon-Thames market place. Can't find any reference to it, though

It's not a particularly nice meat.

As for Kingston, there's a guy selling all sorts of weird meat in there still to this day. You can get ostrich burgers, zebra steaks and alligator meat for example.

That's not weird; many local farm shops sell that kind of thing frozen.

But back in the 60s chicken was an unusual meat, reserved for treats. Meat normally meant beef, pork, lamb, and their offal - and except for frozen NZealand lamb it was home produced. Fish was
cod, haddock, plaice, herring, pilchards, and rock salmon. Everything else caught was sold to the more knowledgeble French.

Horse meat was merely another domestic meat, one normally reserved for pet food - just as Dartmoor ponies are today.

Edit: oh meant to mention something grim I saw on the way to Dunstable. So there's an M&S at Acton on the North Circular. Every single sandwich was removed from the shelves due to Salmonella. Big sign up saying what had been taken off the shelves :scared:

I heard something about that; it hit more than M&S I believe. Isn't centralised food production wonderful.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120451 on: May 23, 2022, 12:58:56 pm »

One comment then I need coffee. Unique food consumption. George Carlin once said: Americans will eat anything. If you served sauteed raccoon's asshole on a stick they would eat it. Especially dipped in butter.

Many a true word is spoken in jest,  :-DD :-DD

Jest? More like truth. Look at it this way. In this building including myself there are 6 adults. I am the only one normal weight. The rest aren't just overweight. They are morbidly obese. And so are some of their children. I feel like I live on a fat farm.  :P :-DD

Anyway, enough of potential off subject bashing. Gonna take a shower and work on some TE. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120452 on: May 23, 2022, 12:59:57 pm »
Eating horse is a cultural no-no in the UK.

Having said that, I remember a butcher that sold horse meat for human consumption in Kingston-upon-Thames market place. Can't find any reference to it, though

It's not a particularly nice meat.

As for Kingston, there's a guy selling all sorts of weird meat in there still to this day. You can get ostrich burgers, zebra steaks and alligator meat for example.

That's not weird; many local farm shops sell that kind of thing frozen.

But back in the 60s chicken was an unusual meat, reserved for treats. Meat normally meant beef, pork, lamb, and their offal - and except for frozen NZealand lamb it was home produced. Fish was
cod, haddock, plaice, herring, pilchards, and rock salmon. Everything else caught was sold to the more knowledgeble French.

Horse meat was merely another domestic meat, one normally reserved for pet food - just as Dartmoor ponies are today.

I think the weird here is meant from a modern standpoint. The reason we tend to circle round to basic fish, chicken, beef, pork and to some degree lamb as primary meats is that they are efficient to produce and are good enough to do the job. The other major factor is that most people in the UK are philistines when it comes to food. Other things are terribly inefficient to produce and distribute. Which means they probably should be more scarce than they actually are.

Supply vs demand pressures are going to make the next 20-30 years interesting on food production. I suspect it will result in a hike in high production efficiency foods. I have some personal bets on where that will lead.

Edit: oh meant to mention something grim I saw on the way to Dunstable. So there's an M&S at Acton on the North Circular. Every single sandwich was removed from the shelves due to Salmonella. Big sign up saying what had been taken off the shelves :scared:

I heard something about that; it hit more than M&S I believe. Isn't centralised food production wonderful.

Yes can confirm Waitrose and Asda too today. Isn't my life exciting  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120453 on: May 23, 2022, 01:01:06 pm »

One comment then I need coffee. Unique food consumption. George Carlin once said: Americans will eat anything. If you served sauteed raccoon's asshole on a stick they would eat it. Especially dipped in butter.

Jest? More like truth. Look at it this way. In this building including myself there are 6 adults. I am the only one normal weight. The rest aren't just overweight. They are morbidly obese. And so are some of their children. I feel like I live on a fat farm.  :P :-DD

Anyway, enough of potential off subject bashing. Gonna take a shower and work on some TE.

As long as you are above them you are safe. Unless one of those Teks goes through the floor  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120454 on: May 23, 2022, 01:03:27 pm »

As long as you are above them you are safe. Unless one of those Teks goes through the floor  :-DD

Unfortunately one lives above me and she sounds like a drunken pachyderm when she walks across her floor.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #120455 on: May 23, 2022, 01:03:58 pm »
Yeah, I noticed that too.   ::)

I wonder what the number would be if he hadn't taken that sabbatical.
#2 behind Dave by now for sure.

Dave will soon reach the 16th, the unsigned old level.

BTW,
slim DMM with GP-IB from Germany, Systron Donner 7344A
https://www.ebay.com/itm/394077544776

BTW2,
Element14, an order of 2 desoldering tips.
A postwoman, with other mail, delivered a desoldering tip, with UPS saver tag.
A moment later, an UPS woman, delivered a desoldering tip.

Now that is as thin as the old Sinclair DM325

They used that case for many pieces of test equipment. I currently have such a scope, a digitising front end, a frequency counter, and recently flogged a pulse generator.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120456 on: May 23, 2022, 01:06:50 pm »
Update on the monitor repair, I've kicked it into touch, powered it up, no flash bang wallops this time, it is drawing .5W on stand by, fair enough but that's it, nothing else happens, spent way too much money and time on it already, so its a trip to the dump next for it. My son is using the spare monitor at the moment and its only a matter of time before I acquire another one for free, or my Sister in Law returns the other one that she has been using at home on her laptop while working from home during lockdown.

Moving onto another item in my repair queue which is growing all the time  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120457 on: May 23, 2022, 01:14:54 pm »
Update on the monitor repair, I've kicked it into touch, powered it up, no flash bang wallops this time, it is drawing .5W on stand by, fair enough but that's it, nothing else happens, spent way too much money and time on it already, so its a trip to the dump next for it. My son is using the spare monitor at the moment and its only a matter of time before I acquire another one for free, or my Sister in Law returns the other one that she has been using at home on her laptop while working from home during lockdown.

Moving onto another item in my repair queue which is growing all the time  :popcorn:

Do you want a 24" 1080P Iiyama or 27" 4K Iiyama at all? Desparately trying to get rid of the bloody things. The 24" is free to a good home. 27" asking £150 for it.

Only problem is buyer collects or meets me half way somewhere  :-DD

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120458 on: May 23, 2022, 01:17:54 pm »
Isn't here any local small ads website? Advertised two monitors for free on Saturday, had a dozen enquiries in the next 15 minutes and they were gone within the hour.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 01:21:18 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120459 on: May 23, 2022, 01:19:16 pm »

Do you want a 24" 1080P Iiyama or 27" 4K Iiyama at all? Desparately trying to get rid of the bloody things. The 24" is free to a good home. 27" asking £150 for it.

Only problem is buyer collects or meets me half way somewhere  :-DD
Thanks for the kind offer, but I'll pass on it, like I say, if I really need one desperately, SiL can go and buy her own and bill it back to her bosses if they still want her to work from home.  :D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120460 on: May 23, 2022, 01:20:03 pm »
Isn't here any local small ads website? Advertised two monitors for free on Saturday, had a dozen enquiries in the next 15 minutes and they were gone within the hour.

Yeah there's gumtree and freecycle here but it's a shit show.

Also I actually want money for the 27" 4K one  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120461 on: May 23, 2022, 01:23:00 pm »
Isn't here any local small ads website in your area? Advertised two monitors for free on Saturday, had a dozen enquiries in the next 15 minutes and they were gone within the hour.
Yes, trashnothing.com is a good one, I use it all the time, and you'd be surprised what some people consider to be trash.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline syau

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120462 on: May 23, 2022, 01:26:33 pm »
Ok, have just got around to rebuilding the computer monitor power supply, to reassemble and power it up to see if it goes flash bang wallop again  :-DD Now, do I bring it up slowly on a variac or do I use the dim bulb method  :-//

Am I right in thinking that a SMPS won't power up on a variac or not  :-//

SMPSs are constant power output devices. Low input voltage => high input current, which the diodes/transistors might not like.
Although modern SMPS use UVLO to protect themselves from such operating conditions however you are correct in that you need know you patient before exposing them to operating conditions they might object to.
This is easier than most think, id the controller and download its datasheet, check a few specs and most important the Typical Application schematic which in many cases is closely replicated by manufacturers and then the rest is shit easy.
However there are exceptions with some older TE and I well remember bd139 warning against using a dim bulb tester with some Phillips scopes as you will hurt these early implementations of SMPS.

When I fixed the blown SMPS in my old Tek 2232 scope (blown MOSFET and surrounding components), hence early SMPS, I used a Dim Bulb Tester to power it up after the repair. The scope would not power up and the light bulb would blink, literally, at a very regular pace, a bit less than one Hertz. It was like clock work... ON.......... OFF.......ON......OFF.....

I thought fuck me the SMPS is having problems again... but I decided to show some confidence in my repair, tried my luck and removed the DBT.... scope fired right up and worked just fine, it was the DBT causing the problem  ! :-DD

Same case on 2465B power supply after I replaced a shorted diode which blow the fuse.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120463 on: May 23, 2022, 01:27:56 pm »

Unfortunately one lives above me and she sounds like a drunken pachyderm when she walks across her floor.  :P :-DD
I love to cook, and I love breads especially. I'd happily live on BBQ, bacon/eggs & sub sandwiches for all eternity. But there are still some things I won't eat: Most liver dishes, Mexican chorizo/barbacoa (traditionally uses a large portion of meat scoured off beef skulls which tastes like ass), haggis and the Mexican equivalent, montalayo, chitlins, tongue of any variant.

Oh, and most game animals, because they're never processed right; gran-dad taught me one thing about hunting for food: choose your target carefully, because whatever you kill, you're done hunting until it's dressed & hung to bleed out immediately. Waiting til you're done hunting means the blood congeals in the meat, and to this day I cannot stand the taste of game fowl or venison that's been handled this way.

On the subject of noisy upstairs denizens: Nothing can beat my son. I know exactly where he is in the house at all times; every time he moves, it's like a stampeding herd of buffalo. There is no stealth in that boy. I can tell from my dwagon cave in the basement when he goes to the upstairs bathroom, no kidding... :o

mnem
 :P
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 01:33:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #120464 on: May 23, 2022, 01:44:27 pm »
A bit OT, but sort of relevant as it kept me away from test gear last weekend..

Finally finished getting the outdoor table all sanded back which meant time to apply stain.
It's just an Ikea thing, and they used some crap (probably water based) stain on the acacia hardwood that had to all come off before I used a much better oil based stain.

Came up looking fantastic in the end, but now I have to do the rest of the stuff to match, 4 chairs and a storage box.... ugh... too much sanding! :D  :scared:

(Ignore the TDS scope chassis scraps in the corner..... ;D )
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120465 on: May 23, 2022, 01:49:44 pm »

Finally finished getting the outdoor table all sanded back which meant time to apply stain.
It's just an Ikea thing, and they used some crap (probably water based) stain on the acacia hardwood that had to all come off before I used a much better oil based stain.

Came up looking fantastic in the end, but now I have to do the rest of the stuff to match, 4 chairs and a storage box.... ugh... too much sanding! :D  :scared:

Finish it off with at least 2 coats of oil based low gloss poly to help protect it from the elements.

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #120466 on: May 23, 2022, 01:52:06 pm »
Yeah, was thinking about it, or will that need a full sand-back to restain it in the future? I was thinking to give it a clean and a wipe over with a new layer of stain with a rag every few months to keep it fresh?

I'm not much of a woodworker so I'm open to instruction. :)
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120467 on: May 23, 2022, 01:53:56 pm »
But that's fine, because I gave on the scope altogether, it's hopeless. This erratic auto-brightness feature I could never figure out how to fix despite great efforts. That alternate sweep daughter board is not meant to be desoldered, butchered it. Tried to fix t.. butchered it even more... Can't socket it to work on it as the connectors with the proper pitch just don't exist.

That's the FET in the prereg bolted to the side of the chassis, with the legs plugged directly into a MOLEX connector, right?

mnem

Nope. A 3 pin trannystor in the PSU does not match at all my description of it : " alternate sweep daughter board ", you need more caffeine Dragon !  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120468 on: May 23, 2022, 01:57:30 pm »
I was paying attention... to bd139, not you. ;)

I've gone back and edited to make it clearer whom I was addressing.  ;D

Cheers,

mnem
 :-BROKE

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:10:28 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #120469 on: May 23, 2022, 02:00:59 pm »
Vince, you have to watch out that the trannystor does not change polarity all of a sudden ...

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120470 on: May 23, 2022, 02:01:39 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg4176511/#msg4176511

Looking good!  :-+

Get you a jitterbug sander like this one for the rest of the job. Best $20 I've spent in recent memory; it does enough of the work to strip old shellac if you need to with 80grit, as well as doing the job it was made for finish-sanding down to 220grit.

This is the first I've ever had with a dust collection system that actually works. No, it's not perfect... but unlike the bad old days, I am not having to stop every minute or two to sweep the surface of my work to keep the dust from clogging the paper. :-+

mnem
*need to get back to work on the dining table of doom*
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:18:50 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120471 on: May 23, 2022, 02:09:51 pm »

Cheers,

mnem

:-DD Was busy slacking. Err yeah molex connected bastard. Stupid implementation  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120472 on: May 23, 2022, 02:15:18 pm »

Cheers,

mnem

:-DD Was busy slacking. Err yeah molex connected bastard. Stupid implementation  :palm:
I have to wonder... how much of that gate capacitance was actually dielectric effect of the inevitable layer of crust on the legs of the FET with that stoopit plug...?

mnem
 :o

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120473 on: May 23, 2022, 02:22:13 pm »

I've gone back and edited to make it clearer whom I was addressing.  ;D

Cheers,

mnem

Well you were quoting/replying to me, not BD. I see you have now edited your message. So no, you were definitely not paying attention when you replied to me rather than BD, I would say ! :-DD

That's OK, even dragons can make mistakes from time to time.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120474 on: May 23, 2022, 02:22:20 pm »
But there are still some things I won't eat: Most liver dishes ... tongue of any variant.

"What does your chef recommend today?" ... "Our plat du jour is tongue in a delicious cream sauce, Monsieur." ... "Yikes! I'd never eat something that has already been in another mouth. Bring me an egg!"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:26:37 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf