Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14827572 times)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120525 on: May 24, 2022, 08:05:09 am »
Oh and the Fluke 25 is far superior to the Fluke 75 for mV range measurements  :-+

The Fluke 25 multitool is superior to most of its successors
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #120526 on: May 24, 2022, 08:22:06 am »
Anyone know where I can pick up a copy of HP/Agilent/Keysight VEE for not an insane price (or free? :P )
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120527 on: May 24, 2022, 08:28:13 am »
I posted the "new" Tek in the Facebook "old" Tek group without any real comment from me and it started a lively and sane discussion until admin got a bug up their arse and without explanation deleted it.  ::) Gee, one day that "new" Tek will be "old" Tek but I'll betcha 50 years hence it will be a chunk of inert silicon.

But of course a way off topic asking if a variac should be placed before or after an isolation transformer is acceptable. Yea, OK.  :palm:
Yeah, those pompous groups suck the fun out of everything, long live this thread and forum where we generally don't take things too seriously. We are pretty good at self-regulating most of the time.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120528 on: May 24, 2022, 08:29:37 am »
I didn't want to post my comment in the New Tek thread.

But what in the holy fuck is that abortion?  :o :o :palm:

Maybe I'm just getting too old for new dog tricks.  :-DD

Good lord, just woke up and that's the first thing I see ! It's quite violent !  :scared:

An apple-like consumer grade tablet tarted up as a cheap chinese oscilloscope... what has the world come to ! :scared:

I bet they will sell an acessorry, a hand piece you can plug to one of the BNC inpits to use it as a phone.
With some luck tehy will also sell a licence key to actually make it work as an oscilloscope.

Think it must be cheaper to buy a used cheap tablet and load an oscilloscope app...

I don't understand the thing. As a bench it's horrible, needlessly thin, not stable enough. As a portable scope... doesn't look rugged enough.
Other than an Apple competing fashionable object to show off at parties, I don't see the rationale behind this horror.... but that's OK, the worse modern scopes get, the more I like my older '60s and '90s scopes.  :)

If they sell it for less than 1,000 bucks, maybe they can sell them by the millions to makers kiddies, or schools.  But if it's a high-end extremely expensive scope, not sure....  :-\

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120529 on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:57 am »
Oh and the Fluke 25 is far superior to the Fluke 75 for mV range measurements  :-+

Yep, as is its stable-mate the 27.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120530 on: May 24, 2022, 08:34:48 am »
I posted the "new" Tek in the Facebook "old" Tek group without any real comment from me and it started a lively and sane discussion until admin got a bug up their arse and without explanation deleted it.  ::) Gee, one day that "new" Tek will be "old" Tek but I'll betcha 50 years hence it will be a chunk of inert silicon.

But of course a way off topic asking if a variac should be placed before or after an isolation transformer is acceptable. Yea, OK.  :palm:
Yeah, those pompous groups suck the fun out of everything, long live this thread and forum where we generally don't take things too seriously. We are pretty good at self-regulating most of the time.  :-+

Yea, for sure. And it's not like I post crap over there nor do I go off the wall like I do here.  :P :-DD Same Tek content as here as well as answer questions related to fixing the old junk.

Oh well, they can go piss up a rope.  ::) ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120531 on: May 24, 2022, 08:35:18 am »

There is this nice Nixie DMM for sale over here :

https://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/2093068228.htm

Looks cool. Guy even pretends it can measure Frequency ?! Of course that is reasonably common place in modern DMM's, but on older Nixie DMM, first time I encounter that. Obviously given that these old DMM's were basically counters at heart, it does not seem that far stretched to implement at least some rudimentary frequency meter  functionality. It's just that all the ones I have seen so far never had that.

The old HP/Dymec 2401A/2401C could measure frequency - to a blinding 300 kc, according to the spec sheet (it came out before Hz was widely used for frequency).

Shown here in the 'check' position with the expected 10 kHz display.

This one's still in the queue...

Additional pics:  https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/HPDymec-2401C-Integrating

-Pat

Thanks ! Looks really nice, would not mind one !!  :D ! I guess they must be rare 'n expensive, but you will tell me you got it for a tenner in some ham fest, or free found on the side of the road, just to drive me mad !!!  :-DD

Maybe they go for cheaper because they are not branded "HP"  ?!  :-// 
That would help me.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 03:26:25 pm by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120532 on: May 24, 2022, 08:41:18 am »
Here is a little riddle for the Tuesday morning for you:

What electronic part has this characteristic curve?

UJT then, OK... have ONE in stock ! Well, one type/model, but quantity of 29 ! Soi I can afford to blow a few of them nobody will report me to the police.
Now that might be TE prject of the day, try to plot their U/I curve...

Couldn't have been a tunnel diode as the curve is smooth, sinexwave looking curves to it.

The UJT has a perfeclty sharpt, linear region at the start, before it abruptly plummets.

So I thought it could have been a humble resistor that breaks down once voltage is too high across it.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120533 on: May 24, 2022, 08:42:35 am »

They ripped off the apple studio display design and managed to remove all class and sensibility and proportion from it. Aka they let the engineers design it

Is that apple juice she's drinking? Must be.

Don't drink the kool-aid (apple juice).  :-DD
Even the venerable TDS210 and its successors with their far bulkier frames suffer from a tendency to scoot all over the bench top when pressing a button, I'd hate to think how this one reacts under the same conditions.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120534 on: May 24, 2022, 08:48:24 am »
You bad mouth, it's perfectlyt stable ! ... if you put it in front of your old (now unplugged) CRO to keep it from tilting !   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120535 on: May 24, 2022, 08:51:23 am »
Were any of the UK members here? Any good finds?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120536 on: May 24, 2022, 09:12:49 am »
Here is a little riddle for the Tuesday morning for you:

What electronic part has this characteristic curve?

hold my beer:

answer here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/show-us-your-curve-tracer/msg4157683/#msg4157683

;D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120537 on: May 24, 2022, 09:32:13 am »
Were any of the UK members here? Any good finds?

McBryce.

Yes. See: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4189222/#msg4189222

HP 427A initial check out: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4189759/#msg4189759

Working on the 3465A at the moment. Has an input offset issue  :-/O

May have just bought something to help diagnose that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120538 on: May 24, 2022, 09:33:16 am »

Given that the only difference between the 25 and 27 is the plastic case, ... yes!

(For those that don't obsess over these things, the only difference is that the 27's case has two extra buttons)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #120539 on: May 24, 2022, 09:35:49 am »

Notice the quite deeply recessed BNC's ?
Proprietary connectors required for them perhaps ?  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120540 on: May 24, 2022, 09:36:09 am »

Yea, for sure. And it's not like I post crap over there nor do I go off the wall like I do here.  :P :-DD Same Tek content as here as well as answer questions related to fixing the old junk.

Oh well, they can go piss up a rope.  ::) ;D

It is on Farcebook FFS, ∴ it sucks.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120541 on: May 24, 2022, 09:46:20 am »
Probulators arrived courtesy Farnell. Expensive but worth it...

Got 2 sets of Pomona minigrabber leads and a full Keysight 34138A pack:

The keysight probes aren't cheap but they have all the nice attachments with them:

From left to right: 2x fine tipped pokers with insulation all the way down, 2x SMD grabbers, 1x normal grabber (for usual ground clip), 2x normal sheafed non retractable probes.

Fun fun fun. 34401A out for delivery too  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120542 on: May 24, 2022, 09:56:36 am »

Even the venerable TDS210 and its successors with their far bulkier frames suffer from a tendency to scoot all over the bench top when pressing a button, I'd hate to think how this one reacts under the same conditions.

According to the boss that's the first thing he tested and it remains firm on the bench. We'll have to see his review to confirm.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120543 on: May 24, 2022, 10:02:59 am »
Philips PM 2421 is pretty close.

Thanks ! It's not "pretty close" you joker... it's 100% the same !  :-+. Now I can google for it and just found better pics of it... and I can now see / read the front panel, what the buttons say.... no Frequency measurement that I can see...

The manual is here:

https://www.opweb.de/deutsch/firma/Philips/herunterladen/Philips--PM_2421--user--ID10878.pdf

Danke schön.
So indeed it can't measure frequency, as I thought... I think the seller got confused with the fact that there is a special connector in the bottom left corner labeled " HF ", the meter can measure AC voltages up to 700MHz with a special probe.
Nice feature though. Also, the basic Vdc accuracy is top notch at 0.1%.
Makes me want to buy it even more, if it were possible but again it isn't. However as always, when an RF mV meter doesn't come with its probe, it's pretty much useless isn't it ?!  :(

I played safe since there are at least 2 different faces.
Fase1 in your picture and fase2 where model type is more left and device type font is different.
ID plates PM 2421/A5 and PM 2421/ I've seen but both had face2.
freeservicemanuals copy has also a service data, chapters VII to XV.
Chapter XIV describes HF Probe and capacitive attenuator.
Both manuals are using both face pictures and face2 seems to be newer.

https://radio-bastler.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=6091
https://www.pa4tim.nl/?p=1838
https://www.ebay.de/itm/274956589397
https://mniec.wordpress.com/2020/11/29/philips-pm2421-a5-bench-dmm-digital-multimeter-vintage-4-digit-5-nixie-tube/
https://tuberadiovintage.biz/2019/01/30/philips-pm2421-digital-multimeter-vintage-nixie-tube-cold-cathode-amateur-radio/
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #120544 on: May 24, 2022, 10:28:44 am »
Received a Nakamichi Receiver 3 in the mail today. In good nick, with the service manual, remote, both antennas.
110 Pesos incl shipping. Would most likely have a few schpeakahs do go with it (IQ or similar). Or force the thing upon my daughter to use with the T&A trannymissionline gizmos (TMR 80, superb for the money) and keep the SR3 I had planned for her originally ...

hmmmm ....

also had some really nasty luck with a shipping/parcel service provider who swapped 2 license required hand deliver packages and is now hurrying to swap them boxes back.
Huuuuge shitshow.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #120545 on: May 24, 2022, 11:15:44 am »

According to the boss that's the first thing he tested and it remains firm on the bench. We'll have to see his review to confirm.

Dave said it "Didn't scoot around". LOL - where I worked that's not the thing I would be worried about - it's that it would be knocked over backwards ten times a day what with that stand they designed. People (a.k.a. gorillas) moving other equipment, books, papers, cables, trying to hurry. People stacked equipment up to make room - how do you stack it?  :-// It looks like a piece of art on a picture stand. As my joke goes - how the hell am I supposed to sit my coffee cup on top of that thing?  :-DD

Maybe on a quiet engineer's desk ... no, it wouldn't make it where I came from. Destroyed in a year :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120546 on: May 24, 2022, 11:21:19 am »

Given that the only difference between the 25 and 27 is the plastic case, ... yes!

(For those that don't obsess over these things, the only difference is that the 27's case has two extra buttons)

And I don't think the 25 was available with the bright yellow case, whereas it was standard for all generations of the 27s. That's how I tell mine apart; well that and the fact that I can read the display on the 27 anywhere but the 25's display is showing it's age and is merely 'OK' rather than excellent (the other night I was reading my 27 in the dark from the street lighting that managed to filter around a raised car bonnet with no difficulty whatsoever). I don't think I have actually used either of the two extra buttons in anger.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120547 on: May 24, 2022, 11:58:49 am »

Dave said it "Didn't scoot around". LOL - where I worked that's not the thing I would be worried about - it's that it would be knocked over backwards ten times a day what with that stand they designed. People (a.k.a. gorillas) moving other equipment, books, papers, cables, trying to hurry. People stacked equipment up to make room - how do you stack it?  :-// It looks like a piece of art on a picture stand. As my joke goes - how the hell am I supposed to sit my coffee cup on top of that thing?  :-DD

Maybe on a quiet engineer's desk ... no, it wouldn't make it where I came from. Destroyed in a year :palm:

If you read between the lines it seems Dave is quite enamored with the new Tek so far. Want to see his review. But it still looks like a hot mess to me.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120548 on: May 24, 2022, 12:17:47 pm »
   I didn't want to post my comment in the New Tek thread. But what in the holy fuck is that abortion?  :o :o :palm:

They ripped off the apple studio display design and managed to remove all class and sensibility and proportion from it. Aka they let the engineers design it.

Ummm, yeah... but if they hadn't let engineers design it and went totally fApple design ethos, it wouldn't even have knobs or BNCs; it would be a USB-C dongle on a iPud.
Or worse, connected via BTLE.

mnem
I give it a iFixit repairability score of ~0.7. |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120549 on: May 24, 2022, 12:27:27 pm »
Were any of the UK members here? Any good finds?   https://youtu.be/S3inURTaOEg   McBryce.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf