Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551624 times)

ProtonFox, fcb, shakalnokturn and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120625 on: May 24, 2022, 08:16:37 pm »
Probulators arrived courtesy Farnell. Expensive but worth it...

Got 2 sets of Pomona minigrabber leads and a full Keysight 34138A pack:   

The keysight probes aren't cheap but they have all the nice attachments with them:   

From left to right: 2x fine tipped pokers with insulation all the way down, 2x SMD grabbers, 1x normal grabber (for usual ground clip), 2x normal sheathed non retractable probes.

Fun fun fun. 34401A out for delivery too  :-+

Have you any opinions on how those sheathed fine tips compare to the 34133A and its micro pogo pins? 

Many times I've had them in my basket to pad out an order... but put them back because I found something else I needed more at the time, and honestly ~$45 for one set of probes... owwchies.

I mean, when I made all of these loverly 12 & 13ga sillycone jumpers for ~$40 delivered...

...that was much more viscerally satisfying.

mn3m
 :-/O
My father has these 34133A. The points are sharp as hell (which is why I got them as a gift in the first place) but the lead handles are freaking tiny. Like almost half the size you'd expect from a "normal" test lead... So I'd imagine not a good fit for dwagon-paws  :-//

I'm kindof torn... while I like the idea of pogo pins on a test probe, and I love the idea of razor-sharp hard-point probes like the Oldaker leads I use on my 3478A, I'm with bd139 on the point of them shorting out against other stuff, so would want them insulated like the long-thin tips in the 34138A pack. As soon as you put some heat-shrink on there to make them insulated, it kindof instantly takes away the "super-thin pointy stick" advantage... :o

As for the probes being tiny... maybe if I were using them on dangerous voltages, yeah... but I routinely use (well, I would if I could find them right now) home-made fine-fine probes which are literally sewing needles soldered to a 4mm bullet and shrink-wrap over that, which I then plug into my heavy patch cords or one of my modular test leads... so yeah, the 34133A leads would def be a step up in that dept.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
STOP flaunting your sexy-shaped unbuyable Oldaker probes before us!
Seriously, I'm calling dibs on a pair should you ever turn your scaly back on electronics!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120626 on: May 24, 2022, 08:19:43 pm »

BWHAHAHAHAHA!

mnem
I'm taking them to the grave with me. Along with my Lambdas. >:D
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:21:35 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #120627 on: May 24, 2022, 08:26:47 pm »
Some of the spare used display boards (no glassware fitted) I bought from Sphere, are from one of those, only confirmed it after buying a manual.
I do have the AC/ohms unit for one, but no matching voltmeter, the knobs have been changed for Philips ones, for some unknown reason.

David

Interesting - your A model has the display window - I can't quite make it out for sure, but it appears to show the range/setting it's on?  I have an HP-made "B" version, and they appear to have dumbed it down a bit - no display window.   :(

I still need to make interface boards in order to use it (they go in the meter itself), so it'll likely be in the queue for a while longer.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120628 on: May 24, 2022, 08:30:32 pm »

BWHAHAHAHAHA!

mnem
Noseclamp check
Pickaxe check
Shovel check
Headlamp check

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120629 on: May 24, 2022, 08:31:02 pm »
"Eggs... They're from a chicken's arse!" ~grand-dad

The old man knew how to make us kids clean our plates at breakfast, all right... :-DD

mnem
"And don't you dare waste a bite of that pig-butt, or I'll bite your butts!"  Okay, maybe that bit wasn't as funny as I remember...  :o
Say, any connection???   

Grand-dad usedta joke that a Polack uses every bit o' the pig except the squeal; however even he preferred them a little better cooked than that.  :-DD

mnem
also smoked & salted. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120630 on: May 24, 2022, 08:34:21 pm »

BWHAHAHAHAHA!

mnem
Noseclamp check
Pickaxe check
Shovel check
Headlamp check

mnem
now that's dedication to one's art. :clap:

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120631 on: May 24, 2022, 08:41:27 pm »

The old man knew how to make us kids clean our plates at breakfast, all right... :-DD

mnem
"And don't you dare waste a bite of that pig-butt, or I'll bite your butts!"  Okay, maybe that bit wasn't as funny as I remember...  :o
Say, any connection???   

Grand-dad usedta joke that a Polack uses every bit o' the pig except the squeal; however even he preferred them a little better cooked than that.  :-DD

mnem
also smoked & salted. ;)
'every bit of a pig' reminded me of the following:
There is a German sweet pastry called a 'Schweinsohr' (Pig's ear).
I once told a young girl which had just started to work at a bakery which I frequented regularely that it is an established custom to answer every customer who demands a Schweinsohr with the sentence 'Why? You already have two of them!'

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120632 on: May 24, 2022, 08:45:46 pm »
No TE for a while here. The car seems to swallow insane amounts of money, what with suspension renovation and similar. Picked up new sealing rings for front bearings today, and have just ordered reinforced rear springs and new front brake pads. New rear shocks and front control arms, as well as ABS rings are waiting to be fitted; got the old control arms out this weekend with a considerable amount of profanity involved.  One ABS sensor has already been swapped out; will be fixated as soon as I've got the new control arms in place.

To top this off, I need 4 new tyres too. Yay. And MOT defaults May 31st.

Just so you don't feel all alone, we're just reviving our car after 1 1/2 years in the underground car park. 100,000 km inspection with oil change, filters, change of break fluid etc.pp. Plus MOT. About 600 euros, they say, if they don't find anything unexpected. At least the tank is still 3/4 full. Was 1.05 euro per liter at the time.

And no, I can't do any of this myself. Wouldn't know where to do it.

You should top that tank up to full with premium fuel before the MOT. Stale fuel is not great for emissions.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120633 on: May 24, 2022, 08:50:53 pm »

mnem
Say, any connection???   

Or, as the French say: Dans le cochon tout est bon.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120634 on: May 24, 2022, 08:55:04 pm »
Some of the spare used display boards (no glassware fitted) I bought from Sphere, are from one of those, only confirmed it after buying a manual.
I do have the AC/ohms unit for one, but no matching voltmeter, the knobs have been changed for Philips ones, for some unknown reason.

David

Interesting - your A model has the display window - I can't quite make it out for sure, but it appears to show the range/setting it's on?  I have an HP-made "B" version, and they appear to have dumbed it down a bit - no display window.   :(

I still need to make interface boards in order to use it (they go in the meter itself), so it'll likely be in the queue for a while longer.

-Pat

The window is there to display symbols that might not be present in the matching 2401A voltmeter, not sure about the B/C version without looking through the relevant books, or catalogs, I haven't time to check.

It can be used with any DC voltmeter, someone has added a BNC output on the front panel, in parallel with the rear output. I believe there are a bunch of extra parts, to pass the DC input through the converter to the missing DVM, as well as some extra parts for the DVM as you mentioned, chance of finding those is none.   :-\

David
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:57:08 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120635 on: May 24, 2022, 09:00:20 pm »
On a thoroughly unpleasant note I have to tell that I fell victim to a filthy piece of vermin again. Although the financial damage is rather limited, I really could have used that thing. On regular Ebay, I won an auction for a Dreusicke flexilble inspection light with mirrors, magnets and lightguide tips for a mere TWO euros. Then the seller contacted me and said that he is unwilling to pay the Paypal fare (not Ebay). Given the low amount, I agreed to cover that and then he asked to just do a private payment. Now he is giving me bullshit like 'returned with wrong postage'.
Grrrrr..!

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #120636 on: May 24, 2022, 09:10:17 pm »
The window is there to display symbols that might not be present in the matching 2401A voltmeter, not sure about the B/C version without looking through the relevant books, or catalogs, I haven't time to check.

It can be used with any DC voltmeter, someone has added a BNC output on the front panel, in parallel with the rear output. I believe there are a bunch of extra parts, to pass the DC input through the converter to the missing DVM, as well as some extra parts for the DVM as you mentioned, chance of finding those is none.   :-\

David

David, I believe that you are correct - I just looked more closely at the display window on the 2401C, and it does appear to have most of those markings at its left edge.  Hard to get them to show up, but this is what I could immediately do with a flashlight.  The missing boards probably relay the settings from the converter to the meter display to get the appropriate indications.  I need to excavate the manual; it's buried here somewhere.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120637 on: May 24, 2022, 09:12:49 pm »
3465A repair thread here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hp-3465a-dmm-repair-326329/

Done:

1. Locate the issue
2. Bodge it temporarily

Todo:

1. Fix the clamp circuit properly
2. Clean
3. Calibrate

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #120638 on: May 24, 2022, 09:38:06 pm »
ordered a particle accelerator. Will try to attain 1050 m/s ...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #120639 on: May 24, 2022, 11:05:14 pm »

C4? CRT/Valve? Rocket?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #120640 on: May 24, 2022, 11:10:54 pm »
3444.882 fps is nothing fast at all. Can do this with handloads and 50gr particles from an 18" tube.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120641 on: May 24, 2022, 11:33:36 pm »

C4? CRT/Valve? Rocket?
I think that Tautech is right on target with his assumption (pun intended).

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #120642 on: May 24, 2022, 11:42:53 pm »

C4? CRT/Valve? Rocket?
:)
Yep the gal is a gun nut too.
What will be interesting is how heavy the particle is she's attempting to accelerate to 1050m/s.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120643 on: May 24, 2022, 11:55:09 pm »

C4? CRT/Valve? Rocket?
What will be interesting is how heavy the particle is she's attempting to accelerate to 1050m/s.  :popcorn:

:o :P :-DD :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120644 on: May 25, 2022, 12:31:53 am »
Eeh, tiny 'merkin stuff. If thee wants a proper shell thee has to go to t' Royal Navy:

Shells for, and breech of, a BL 13.5-inch Mk V naval gun.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120645 on: May 25, 2022, 01:08:34 am »
Not as creepy as the Amazon supermarket that opened near me recently. You walk into it, scan your phone app, put stuff in a basket and walk out and it charges you later. It does this using cameras and ML to see what you put in your basket. I suspect when uncertainty occurs that it subcontracts the decision as to what you took to some poor dude in an Indian sweatshop behind Amazon Mechanical Turk.

And no I won't use it. The engineer and IT guy in me knows where this leads.

It should be difficult to spend money. Even debit and credit debt cards are a step in the wrong direction.

Most of my transactions are either a card on my Savings account*, or by Online Banking on the same account, using a system called BPay.
* I hesitate to call it a debit card, as most "debit cards I have seen advertised require you to put a set amount into it, rather than to access your main account.
I have a Paypal account I have used exactly once!

All that easy stuff & I still have "short arms & long pockets"!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120646 on: May 25, 2022, 01:17:31 am »
Oh and the Fluke 25 is far superior to the Fluke 75 for mV range measurements  :-+

The Fluke 25 multitool is superior to most of its successors
Yep, as is its stable-mate the 27.

Given that the only difference between the 25 and 27 is the plastic case, ... yes!

(For those that don't obsess over these things, the only difference is that the 27's case has two extra buttons)

And I don't think the 25 was available with the bright yellow case, whereas it was standard for all generations of the 27s. That's how I tell mine apart; well that and the fact that I can read the display on the 27 anywhere but the 25's display is showing it's age and is merely 'OK' rather than excellent (the other night I was reading my 27 in the dark from the street lighting that managed to filter around a raised car bonnet with no difficulty whatsoever). I don't think I have actually used either of the two extra buttons in anger.

My display is still fine. I presume you've tried IPA on the zebrazone connector. I've seen people resurrect their 25 that way.

If I thought I had a use for the two extra buttons, I'd be looking around for a replacement case!
I'd probably ghetto-fab 2 buttons from a old remote control and *gulp* drill holes for them.  :P

If I hadn't already bought a 27A/N just to get the His & Hers probulators that came with...

mnem
All y'alls may now tie me to a stake and light the fire...

I like the way you think, Dwagon!

My little "El Crappo" clampmeter was brought back to life after having been lost long enough for the batteries to leak, killing the contacts, by the selfless sacrifice of an old TV remote, which used exactly the same  style of contacts.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120647 on: May 25, 2022, 01:30:09 am »
I lost one of my tools, it's a cheap endoscope camera.
The concept I bought it with my hard work money and then I can't put my hands on it simply drive me 100% nuts.

Surely hidden in one of those boxes on the floor.

Don't know about you, but I can't do anything else until I find the lost one...

Search for something else and you'll find it.

Nah! you will still find all those 1/2" AF & 13 mm spanners & sockets you have lost over the years, an ancient Bulgin Mains connector, some unidentified salvaged transistors, half a dozen Belling Lee coax connectors, a broken watch, a large rusty woodscrew, the 4017 ic you couldn't find last time, a lot of fluff, a very rusty 3/16" Whitworth tap, &................

You can't fool Murphy!

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #120648 on: May 25, 2022, 02:11:53 am »

C4? CRT/Valve? Rocket?
174 grains while staying below 4300 bar pressure in a 24 inch tube. this is for elongated ogival particles out of solid copper that are 40 mm long  and meant for 1 - 1.2 km distances with minimized wind drifts.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120649 on: May 25, 2022, 03:45:06 am »
Not as creepy as the Amazon supermarket that opened near me recently. You walk into it, scan your phone app, put stuff in a basket and walk out and it charges you later. It does this using cameras and ML to see what you put in your basket. I suspect when uncertainty occurs that it subcontracts the decision as to what you took to some poor dude in an Indian sweatshop behind Amazon Mechanical Turk.

And no I won't use it. The engineer and IT guy in me knows where this leads.

It should be difficult to spend money. Even debit and credit debt cards are a step in the wrong direction.

Most of my transactions are either a card on my Savings account*, or by Online Banking on the same account, using a system called BPay.
* I hesitate to call it a debit card, as most "debit cards I have seen advertised require you to put a set amount into it, rather than to access your main account.
I have a Paypal account I have used exactly once!

All that easy stuff & I still have "short arms & long pockets"!

When we say "debit card" most of us mean one that is associated directly with a bank account of some kind. What you're describing sounds like what we'd call a pre-paid debit card, which is a different beast entirely although you can use it in the same places and same ways one uses a 'standard' debit card. All three of my debit cards directly debit either my main personal bank account, company bank account, or credit union current account.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf