Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14833244 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120675 on: May 25, 2022, 03:33:24 pm »
need as Doppler radar for speed measurements. did receive some optics today, Vixen Artes 5-30x56ED.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120676 on: May 25, 2022, 03:41:26 pm »
Just picked up via eBay an ex-corporate X270 ThinkPad in fair nick for £160. Nothing special, 8Gb, 256Gb NVMe SSD, i5-6300U @ 2.4GHz, Windows 10 Pro bundled. My hand was forced because I needed something that was battery powered, ran Windows natively and had a physical ethernet port (Zucca will know why), a VM wasn't going to cut it this time.

Just had a sharp reminder how much I detest the "Windows ExperienceTM", had to dodge dark patterns to not sign up for a Microsoft account, got popups in Edge trying to dissuade me from downloading Firefox, etc. etc. Scumbags.

Job one done: ShutUp10 downloaded and run.
Job two done: Firefox downloaded, Duckduckgo activated, Edge and Bing banished.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau, Saskia

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120677 on: May 25, 2022, 03:51:17 pm »
Just picked up via eBay an ex-corporate X270 ThinkPad in fair nick for £160. Nothing special, 8Gb, 256Gb NVMe SSD, i5-6300U @ 2.4GHz, Windows 10 Pro bundled. My hand was forced because I needed something that was battery powered, ran Windows natively and had a physical ethernet port (Zucca will know why), a VM wasn't going to cut it this time.

Just had a sharp reminder how much I detest the "Windows ExperienceTM", had to dodge dark patterns to not sign up for a Microsoft account, got popups in Edge trying to dissuade me from downloading Firefox, etc. etc. Scumbags.

Reasonable machine for the money. I still have a spare T470 of same spec floating around.

I will reluctantly give microsoft their due; they are actually 25% less abhorrent on windows 11. Perhaps that will be a decent release in a couple of years.

Siglent box now lurking under my desk courtesy APC delivery 8) ...

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120678 on: May 25, 2022, 04:04:40 pm »
Type 1A4 troubleshooting.

Vince, pay attention.  ;D

From yesterday..........

Problem 2: There's a weird relationship with channel 1 and 2 trigger. If I select channel 2 trigger it forces channel 1 trace off screen. But channel 1 trigger select has no affect on channel 2. Channels 3 and 4 do not play these games. Should be fun tracking that down.

When in doubt. RTFM. You never know. The answer just might be contained within those hallowed pages. And wouldn't you know it. It is! Under step 16 "Adjust Trigger Selector DC Balance". But the manual states to insure Step 15 is performed first. "Adjust Variable Balance". So we followed the instructions and lo and behold.....no more dancing traces on the screen when switching the trigger selector. There is however much interaction between those adjustments. But we finally got it.  :-+

Well that was a quick " Fix " wasn't it !  :-DD

Still, was interesting to me as I ha dno idea there could be interaction between trigger and DC balance, in some (this at least) plug-in. I mean this two things are separate and don't interact, in all my Tek scopes.
Must be a 1A4 special maybe. Maybe a thing in any multi-channel plug-in, so the 1A1 and 1A2 and CA might affected as well.

Good to know about this anyway, thanks Papa Smurf !!!  8)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120679 on: May 25, 2022, 04:30:33 pm »

From yesterday..........

Problem 2: There's a weird relationship with channel 1 and 2 trigger. If I select channel 2 trigger it forces channel 1 trace off screen. But channel 1 trigger select has no affect on channel 2. Channels 3 and 4 do not play these games. Should be fun tracking that down.

When in doubt. RTFM. You never know. The answer just might be contained within those hallowed pages. And wouldn't you know it. It is! Under step 16 "Adjust Trigger Selector DC Balance". But the manual states to insure Step 15 is performed first. "Adjust Variable Balance". So we followed the instructions and lo and behold.....no more dancing traces on the screen when switching the trigger selector. There is however much interaction between those adjustments. But we finally got it.  :-+

Still, was interesting to me as I ha dno idea there could be interaction between trigger and DC balance, in some (this at least) plug-in. I mean this two things are separate and don't interact, in all my Tek scopes.
Must be a 1A4 special maybe. Maybe a thing in any multi-channel plug-in, so the 1A1 and 1A2 and CA might affected as well.

Wanna give yourself a headache? Study the schematic for the Type 1A4. Tek pulled out all the stops designing it both electrically and mechanically. Somehow they managed to stuff 5 pounds into a 2 pound bag.

Anyway, the relationship between the DC balance and this so called "trigger balance" is unique to the Type 1A4. No other 500 series plug-in that I've seen (so far) has it and I have 1A1, 1A2, CA, W.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #120680 on: May 25, 2022, 04:47:23 pm »
Of the two grocery markets I do business with one has "self checkout" and one does not. I use the self checkout and I don't worry about individuals losing their jobs because of it. On the contrary, that market is always hiring and it seems they can never get the help they require. And that's not unique at least here. There is a glut of retail jobs going unfilled. Same with restaurants and getting servers. The fact that they pay the minimum wage of $15/hr certainly has an affect. You really can't live on that small sum.

What do I hate about going to a manual cashier? The cashiers themselves are friendly. But get a little old lady in front of you who insists upon paying cash then searching through her handbag for the last dime and penny holding up the entire line.     ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120681 on: May 25, 2022, 05:03:08 pm »
I lost one of my tools, it's a cheap endoscope camera.
The concept I bought it with my hard work money and then I can't put my hands on it simply drive me 100% nuts.

Surely hidden in one of those boxes on the floor.

Don't know about you, but I can't do anything else until I find the lost one...

Search for something else and you'll find it.

Nah! you will still find all those 1/2" AF & 13 mm spanners & sockets you have lost over the years, an ancient Bulgin Mains connector, some unidentified salvaged transistors, half a dozen Belling Lee coax connectors, a broken watch, a large rusty woodscrew, the 4017 ic you couldn't find last time, a lot of fluff, a very rusty 3/16" Whitworth tap, &................

You can't fool Murphy!

I dropped something yesterday and it went under a sideboard so I found a handle broken plastic fly slap and a part of a wavy potato chip of real pot8to.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #120682 on: May 25, 2022, 05:06:04 pm »
The concept I bought it with my hard work money and then I can't put my hands on it simply drive me 100% nuts.

Nah! you will still find all those 1/2" AF & 13 mm spanners & sockets you have lost over the years, an ancient Bulgin Mains connector, some unidentified salvaged transistors, half a dozen Belling Lee coax connectors, a broken watch, a large rusty woodscrew, the 4017 ic you couldn't find last time, a lot of fluff, a very rusty 3/16" Whitworth tap, &................

You can't fool Murphy!

I dropped something yesterday and it went under a sideboard so I found a handle broken plastic fly slap and a part of a wavy potato chip of real pot8to.

Bonus! What flavour was it?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120683 on: May 25, 2022, 05:10:52 pm »

:-+

Pretty much the same SOP I use, and pretty much the same specs as the Aspire R5-471T UltraBook I bought for $80 at the Thrift last week.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/9304-acer-aspire-r14-review-2/

I like the dual-battery on the X270, but in the Acer's defense it is in new/unused condition, and it does have a 14" 1920 x 1080 IPS touchscreen with full-tablet mode, and backlit keyboard. The battery it needed cost me $7 net after a shipping malfunction gave me a $10 "we fucked up" credit on my account at Bezos' Online Crack Shop.

Not earth-shattering good fortune, but still beats a sharp stick in the eye like our poor Shrew Disciple over there seems to keep getting from fleaBay. ;)

I will admit the lack of Ethernet annoys me, but I already have a 1Gb/S USB3.0 dongle; plus when I need it, the USB-C port means I can plug one in at up to 10GBPS for $20-120 depending on how much I'm ready to spend.  :-//

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120684 on: May 25, 2022, 05:15:35 pm »

You can't fool Murphy!

Just regular, but it had a new coating.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120685 on: May 25, 2022, 05:19:59 pm »
...I will reluctantly give Microsoft their due; they are actually 25% less abhorrent on windows 11. Perhaps that will be a decent release in a couple of years.

What exactly do you actually like aboot Win11? Maybe it's "frog in a pot" syndrome (more likely Stockholm ;)), but after the routine exorcisms described by Cerebus above, Win10 seems generally pretty painless.  :-//

I'm certainly not looking forward to paying for the privilege of running Win11 on my gaming rigs, for example; and not sure I'm interested in even trying a patched version on any of my other machines. :o

mnem
*mugs bd139 for his Siglent box quick, before he even unpacks it* >:D

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120686 on: May 25, 2022, 05:20:22 pm »

All natural, gluten free, GM free, no added salt or sugar...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #120687 on: May 25, 2022, 05:22:39 pm »

You can't fool Murphy!

Experimenting with new coatings is the work of true pioneers!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120688 on: May 25, 2022, 05:29:57 pm »
Had a reply from the ebay CMS-33 seller:
"Hi

Thank you for your message.

Apologies for the delay in responding.

Yes this is in working order.

Would you be available to collect next week or weekend?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Bargainauctionsuk"

Yes spaced like that. I think I'll respond letting him know that I know that he can't know if it's working or not. Sounds like something a spy would say.....

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120689 on: May 25, 2022, 05:30:51 pm »

From yesterday..........

Wanna give yourself a headache? Study the schematic for the Type 1A4. Tek pulled out all the stops designing it both electrically and mechanically. Somehow they managed to stuff 5 pounds into a 2 pound bag.

Anyway, the relationship between the DC balance and this so called "trigger balance" is unique to the Type 1A4. No other 500 series plug-in that I've seen (so far) has it and I have 1A1, 1A2, CA, W.
Hmmmm...

Are they actually processing the sweeps in ALT or CHOP mode before sending them to the usual 2 channels in the mainframe? That might explain the interdependence...  :-//

mnem
 :-/O

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120690 on: May 25, 2022, 05:31:33 pm »

:-+

Pretty much the same SOP I use, and pretty much the same specs as the Aspire R5-471T UltraBook I bought for $80 at the Thrift last week.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/9304-acer-aspire-r14-review-2/

I like the dual-battery on the X270, but in the Acer's defense it is in new/unused condition, and it does have a 14" 1920 x 1080 IPS touchscreen with full-tablet mode, and backlit keyboard. The battery it needed cost me $7 net after a shipping malfunction gave me a $10 "we fucked up" credit on my account at Bezos' Online Crack Shop.

Not earth-shattering good fortune, but still beats a sharp stick in the eye like our poor Shrew Disciple over there seems to keep getting from fleaBay. ;)

I will admit the lack of Ethernet annoys me, but I already have a 1Gb/S USB3.0 dongle; plus when I need it, the USB-C port means I can plug one in at up to 10GBPS for $20-120 depending on how much I'm ready to spend.  :-//

mnem

I have an old W7 HP laptop that had to be put out of service since its network connections stopped working.
Can't find it right now but I'm quite sure it has a DVD drive and I've tried it with Linux.

Network connections means internal, wired or wireless and external USB.
No idea how that can happen.
Maybe I've found an extra timer of some sort.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120691 on: May 25, 2022, 05:33:31 pm »
...I will reluctantly give Microsoft their due; they are actually 25% less abhorrent on windows 11. Perhaps that will be a decent release in a couple of years.

What exactly do you actually like aboot Win11? Maybe it's "frog in a pot" syndrome (more likely Stockholm ;)), but after the routine exorcisms described by Cerebus above, Win10 seems generally pretty painless.  :-//

I'm certainly not looking forward to paying for the privilege of running Win11 on my gaming rigs, for example; and not sure I'm interested in even trying a patched version on any of my other machines. :o

mnem

I think the best thing about windows 11 is they decided the best thing to do was to try and copy macOS where possible. So they have started tidying everything up and consolidating it at last.

As for paying for it, huh? It's free if you have windows 10.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120692 on: May 25, 2022, 05:37:27 pm »
Hmm... I won't even use one of those self scan tills if I can possibly avoid it, I object to being complicit in putting more money into some fat cats pocket at the expense of someone's job. Our local Asda and Sainsburys have now almost done away with manned tills FFS. They might have been low paid jobs but they did provide some support to some people.

I used to say that, but in all good conscience I can't really claim to any more. I used to queue for the tills on the basis it kept people in work. In the case of people like the Lovely Linda who works on the tills in our 'local'* Sainsburys and has a very mild form of Down's syndrome it might be the difference between a reasonable job and a shit job or even none. Sadly I've been seduced by the ease and calmness of using one of the store's portable scanners, packing my shopping calmly in the right place in the right bag as I go, and when I've finished walking around the store I simply pay and walk out.

I've had a battle with myself about it and resisted for a long time. On the one hand there's the Lindas, and on the other hand there's the Sharons and Darrens who throw my goods at me as they scan them, destroy any order in which I've put them on the conveyer belt mixing frozen food with biscuits, and hard tins with fragile crisps and generally make using a full service checkout something to avoid. So when out of curiosity I finally once tried the scanners you carry around the store with you I was converted. I realised that I could skip the last and most unpleasant 20 minutes of the supermarket experience and haven't looked back. I'm afraid that on this occasion minor selfishness, in the form of an abhorrence of Sharons and Darrens mucking up my carefully organised shopping, has won out over social responsibility.

* local meaning nearly three miles away
Maybe the Sharon's and Darren's of this world are more London based, I don't get any of those issues, I do however have a Linda in our Asda. I have, on the odd occasion when I had very limited time, used the self-service till, but that is rare. Having experienced, having no job and no government subsidies or benefits of any kind, I can fully understand how people struggle on low incomes. It is not always easy to get another job, or even as a politician recently stated on national media "get a better paid job". Plus also, where is the incentive in doing either the self scan or self-service tills, there is no reduction in the final bill, despite the shop / company not having to pay for a worker each till. Anyway, sometimes the self-service tills actually take longer as they frequently cannot detect item in bagging area, come across items with no bar code and have no system to enable multiple items of the same, to be scanned and multiply the value which requires a staff member to come and process. These members of staff are usually looking after about 12 tills, so they can take a fair time to attend to your problems.

I agree the governments need to up their game when it comes to education, so people can find better employment etc, but that takes time and there is no quick fix, so as long as I possibly can, I shall continue to shop with social responsibility, for me there is no giving in, like I said before I have been there before, not knowing where the next meal was coming from before, or when I would find a job. I'm not a scrounger by nature, so I had zero knowledge of how to go about getting any assistance, and the job centres were less than helpful with coming forward with information, even though they were aware that I had a young family to support, live sucks when you're not one of the elite.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120693 on: May 25, 2022, 05:42:06 pm »

mnem

I think the best thing about windows 11 is they decided the best thing to do was to try and copy macOS where possible. So they have started tidying everything up and consolidating it at last.

As for paying for it, huh? It's free if you have windows 10.
Not free when your Win10 is installed from a win7 license. ;)

As for consolidating... the one thing I actually like about Win10 is that you can still find all your old management snap-ins when you need to fix some fuxxored misbehaviour.

My biggest problem with my MacPro is all the "tickling its fiddly-bits" config I'm used to doing with Winblows to get my desktop and peripherals situated the way I like instead of the way Jobs' ghost likes... I have no idea where to start looking, or even if they can be fixxored...  :-//

mnem
 :rant:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120694 on: May 25, 2022, 05:49:30 pm »
I have an old W7 HP laptop that had to be put out of service since its network connections stopped working.
Can't find it right now but I'm quite sure it has a DVD drive and I've tried it with Linux. Network connections means internal, wired or wireless and external USB. No idea how that can happen. Maybe I've found an extra timer of some sort.

I had similar problems from time to time with Win7. Usually something borked in the chipset drivers. At least, usually uninstalling the PCI Bus/Chipset drivers and reinstalling them "either fixes it or brickses it"...  >:D

Obviously, you wanna track down every document you have and black it up elsewhere before you do anything this drastic.  :-DD

mnem
Winblows... it's what's for dinner. :P

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120695 on: May 25, 2022, 05:54:16 pm »

I never had any problems in getting Edge and Bing banished from my PC's. I run Duckduckgo (thanks BD), pop-ups banished thanks to Adblocker Ultimate and Firefox has been my browser of choice for some time now.
As to Windows 10, generally I don't have a problem with it, yeah sometimes they release an update that can screw things up a bit, but then that privilege is also I'm sure shared by other O/S's as well, be it Apple or Linux, they have all had issues from time to time. I have had issues with Apple on my iPad and also Linux on my Linux PC, that the next update cured.

Maybe I'm more biased towards Microsoft because I have the most experience with their systems, I can't really tell, but that's my findings anyway. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120696 on: May 25, 2022, 06:06:18 pm »
The only reality is that all three platforms are shit in their own special way  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, Peter_O

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120697 on: May 25, 2022, 06:07:03 pm »

mnem

What is this paying thing you mention, as long as you have already installed Win 10, then Win 11 is free, and if you're buying a new machine it will come with Win 11 already installed, is this not so  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120698 on: May 25, 2022, 06:09:22 pm »
The only reality is that all three platforms are shit in their own special way  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, cyclin_al, srb1954

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120699 on: May 25, 2022, 07:00:57 pm »
Video is 12 years old yet still 100% relevant. Who said IT was a fast paced industry ?!!  :-DD

Not every OS sucks... I never had MS-DOS v3.x crash, running from its 5 1/4 " floppy disk on my Bull Micral 30 !  >:D
v6.22 never crashed either on my 486 SX 33 with a whooping 4MB of RAM ... AND a HDD AND a mouse AND a colour screen. Boy a luxury machine that was. Even added a sound card and CD drive to it, unbelievable.

Then windows 3.1 arrived and it was the end... then Win95.... then XP.. then I gave up on Windows and lost any hope about any OS and computer H/W as well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf