Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553308 times)

battlecoder, HalFoster, SingleBitError and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #120875 on: May 27, 2022, 04:38:45 pm »
Are you a Tek lover ? Are you German ? Do you have germoney ? Then the answer is this:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/kennlinienschreiber-tektronix/2111929863-168-13379

You forgot a few questions: Do you have too much space and a concrete floor? Do you ignore the fact that modern devices that cost a fraction of this can give you much better measurements and the results can be stored?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120876 on: May 27, 2022, 04:42:14 pm »
Are you a Tek lover ? Are you German ? Do you have germoney ? Then the answer is this:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/kennlinienschreiber-tektronix/2111929863-168-13379

You forgot a few questions: Do you have too much space and a concrete floor? Do you ignore the fact that modern devices that cost a fraction of this can give you much better measurements and the results can be stored?

McBryce.
Is there any one in particular you can recommend to buy or build?

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120877 on: May 27, 2022, 04:56:35 pm »
Now don't tell me that these beauties are obsolete, at 70EUR a pop it almost call for a group buy  >:D

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fluke-883ab-ac-dc-diferential-voltmeter-messgeraet/2043791591-168-24212

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120878 on: May 27, 2022, 05:08:49 pm »
As an Australian, I approve of this foul language. :)

As a kid, when "bloody" was still a naughty word that was seldom, if ever, heard on the television I used to be highly amused every time something Australian came on the TV because of the innate inability of the Australian male to form a sentence that doesn't include "bloody" at least once. If swearing is an art form, and I personally hold that it is, then Australia is the home of geniuses.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TERRA Operative

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120879 on: May 27, 2022, 05:11:38 pm »
Wow, only 800 Euros ?!  :o 

That's freaking cheap !  Last one I saw here in Frog land was 2 years ago and guy wanted 2,500 Euros for it, "as is", not powered up, super crusty and no test fixture.

Still, 800 Euros is way more than I can afford... and I prefer my 575 anyway !!  :box:

If Brexitland was still European I would have seriously considered a road trip for that, and the incurred wrath of SWMBO for purchasing a boat anchor.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #120880 on: May 27, 2022, 05:30:50 pm »
Just performed a successful surgery on a TDS2CM Communications module for the TDS200 series scopes.
I got a 27C040 PROM and a 1Mb 128K x 8 RAM chip (TDS2MM needs more RAM) from Mouser, programmed the PROM with TDS2MM firmware I ripped from my other TDS2MM module with the TLS866 II chip programmer that arrived today and swapped the chips onto the TDS2CM PCB.

Works perfectly first time! :D Nice.  8)

Just waiting on new polarising film for the LCD on this busted TDS210, and after repairing the LCD and the usual broken BNC's and replacing the commonly missing knobs, it'll be all working 100% again.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:32:42 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, syau, Zoli, m k, DH7DN, Neper

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #120881 on: May 27, 2022, 05:32:07 pm »
As an Australian, I approve of this foul language. :)

As a kid, when "bloody" was still a naughty word that was seldom, if ever, heard on the television I used to be highly amused every time something Australian came on the TV because of the innate inability of the Australian male to form a sentence that doesn't include "bloody" at least once. If swearing is an art form, and I personally hold that it is, then Australia is the home of geniuses.

Haha, that's one word I never ended up making a habit of, but fuck is a favourite. :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 05:44:51 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120882 on: May 27, 2022, 06:10:21 pm »
No Motherfaker, but Interfaker  8) for our German members who want to interfak serial interfakes !!!

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/modular-technology-interfaker-mt25-tester-fuer-v-24-und-rs-232/1995924726-168-7982

One thing I've learned to dislike are those ribbon cables, multiplied by a connector count.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120883 on: May 27, 2022, 06:21:15 pm »
No Motherfaker, but Interfaker  8) for our German members who want to interfak serial interfakes !!!

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/modular-technology-interfaker-mt25-tester-fuer-v-24-und-rs-232/1995924726-168-7982

One thing I've learned to dislike are those ribbon cables, multiplied by a connector count.

Well, it's an Interfaker, it faks with you in interesting ways  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120884 on: May 27, 2022, 06:25:50 pm »

Back in the day, when serial printers were a thing, and most of our users were on dumb terminals all connected over serial lines one of those saved my life on more occasions than I care to recall.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120885 on: May 27, 2022, 06:43:34 pm »
Same here.
But when that ribbon connector fails you once you can never trust it again.

One other case are those screws, when they around a monitor connector.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120886 on: May 27, 2022, 06:44:30 pm »
Fuck me !  :scared:

Look at what just popped up here !  A Tek type 547 for only 20 Euros !!!  :scared:

OF COURSE it's local pick-up only and in Paris 500kms from me, as always !!  :palm:

https://www.leboncoin.fr/equipements_industriels/2168134078.htm

OK looks a bit rough on the outside but might be nice inside you just don't know. And at that price I couldn't care less, it's well worth the 20 Euros just as a parts mule ! |O

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 06:46:43 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120887 on: May 27, 2022, 06:46:14 pm »
Good to know the screen cleaned up.

Worth cleaning it properly with isopropyl around the front end before doing anything. All sorts of leakage paths around there due to the high impedance. I had similar issues with a couple of DMMs which were resolved by cleaning.
Beat me to this, yes the front end is very likely where the problem is. I had very similar issues with the Blackstar 4503, but after scrubbing the front end with IPA about a dozen times it came good and is still good today.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120888 on: May 27, 2022, 06:49:05 pm »

Look at what just popped up here !  A Tek type 547 for only 20 Euros !!!  :scared:

OF COURSE it's local pick-up only and in Paris 500kms from me, as always !!  :palm:

OK looks a bit rough on the outside but might be nice inside you just don't know. And at that price I couldn't care less, it's well worth the 20 Euros just as a parts mule ! |O

It also looks as if it has been living wild in the garden for a while, be very careful.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Neper

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #120889 on: May 27, 2022, 06:49:57 pm »

McBryce.

Can the modern one do this:

BTW The one for sale is an D1 (Storage) version.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, DC1MC, cyclin_al, DH7DN

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120890 on: May 27, 2022, 06:52:37 pm »
I'd just like to retract my comment I made about Windows 11 not being terrible. It's absolute fucking garbage. I just wasted most of today trying to get a dev environment up on a fresh machine and literally spent the day stepping in cow shit. During the same period I ported the software I was supposed to be working on to .Net Core and it's now compiling and working on my Mac fine :-//. And on that note, I shall mention no more other than if a contract specifies windows from now on it can piss off even if the money is good.

I was considering spending the evening getting the Heathkit counter up but my soul is too crushed so I'm going to sit on my fat arse and F5 ebay all night  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120891 on: May 27, 2022, 06:58:24 pm »

It also looks as if it has been living wild in the garden for a while, be very careful.

Careful of what ? You mean some nasty snake or rodent that might attack me when I open the cabinet ?! It's worth the risk !  :-DD
There are regularly cool Tek stuff for sale in Paris area but it's just too far. I traveled similar distance to the center of the country to get my 575 curve tracer, but it's only because it's so rare and expensive, and guy wanted way less than usual market price. So I didn't even think twice. However for a "normal" / Tek scope, I just can't justify it, financially. Trips cost a fortune these days.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120892 on: May 27, 2022, 07:01:28 pm »
My first visual was that its side has been bitten.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120893 on: May 27, 2022, 07:07:35 pm »
I'd just like to retract my comment I made about Windows 11 not being terrible. It's absolute fucking garbage. I just wasted most of today trying to get a dev environment up on a fresh machine and literally spent the day stepping in cow shit. During the same period I ported the software I was supposed to be working on to .Net Core and it's now compiling and working on my Mac fine :-//. And on that note, I shall mention no more other than if a contract specifies windows from now on it can piss off even if the money is good.

I was considering spending the evening getting the Heathkit counter up but my soul is too crushed so I'm going to sit on my fat arse and F5 ebay all night  :-DD

Just 48H hours ago you told me that you never had problems with Windows, that it always did what you wanted it to do.. and now all of a sudden it's so shiy you won't even take money to work on it, what a change !!!! :-DD

So see, I might not be an IT guru like you but I got to the same conclusion 20 years ago none the less !  >:D

I saw a YT video some guy who ranted about Win11. Basically he explained how with it, MS owned your computer H/W, not you any more. Forgot the details... but it seemed in lien with what every industry is doing more and more in the recent years, so not really surprised...

One more reason to stick to my *Nix machine. I DO own my computer .. been running for 15 years with zero Euro in S/W or licensing or anti-malware anti-virus shit, and it would still run for 10 more years if only I could behave and get myself to have FIrefox running only 30 tabs at all times, instead of 60. This way the 8GB of RAM on the machine would suffice and I would not have to replace the motherboard and all that goes on it...

Geez I sound like a salesman.. but I have nothing to sell, Penguin is free....

EDIT : yes Saskia, Penguin can be substituted with FreeBSD or your favorite flavour of Unix...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:10:59 pm by Vince »

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120894 on: May 27, 2022, 07:12:38 pm »
Some computer stuff,

I still have an HP DV6 partially in use.
The solution was a window P-seal underneath blocking the corner.
For those who don't know, its chassis design was so clever that hot air was directed back in.

For MS OS lineages I'd say
DOS 2.11 3.3 5.0 6.22
WfW 3.11
Win 95C(7.x/4.x) 98SE(7.x/4.x)
Win NT3.51 NT4(SP6) 2k(NT5) 2k3R2/XP(NT5.1) 2k8R2/7(NT6.1)
Win 10(NT6.4)

Can't really remember why DOS versions are those but I'm still quite sure they are the right ones.
And Lotus 1-2-3 was already doing depth calculations and AutoCAD drawings so...

WfW 3.11 brought up the next level of connectivity, TCP/IP was also there but sort of a secondary method.
Win 95C corrected many things but 98SE took stability to the next level.
Win XP messed old stuff first but was a work horse later.
Win 2k was fast and stayed that way, 7 was also so first but things changed.

Generally it's a pretty good rule of thumb that even version is no good.
One exception is NT4 that pro side kept so tightly that 2k workstations were sort of left out.
W7 and W10 are also finally on totally different level of stability compared to other workstation versions.

BTW,
for a moment I thought I've lost a Fiskars UPS 08 that was right here.

BTW2,
the earlier W7 HP found.
It was in a wrong stack.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120895 on: May 27, 2022, 07:13:26 pm »

Just 48H hours ago you told me that you never had problems with Windows, that it always did what you wanted it to do.. and now all of a sudden it's so shiy you won't even take money to work on it, what a change !!!! :-DD

So see, I might not be an IT guru like you but I got to the same conclusion 20 years ago none the less !  >:D

I saw a YT video some guy who ranted about Win11. Basically he explained how with it, MS owned your computer H/W, not you any more. Forgot the details... but it seemed in lien with what every industry is doing more and more in the recent years, so not really surprised...

One more reason to stick to my *Nix machine. I DO own my computer .. been running for 15 years with zero Euro in S/W or licensing or anti-malware anti-virus shit, and it would still run for 10 more years if only I could behave and get myself to have FIrefox running only 30 tabs at all times, instead of 60. This way the 8GB of RAM on the machine would suffice and I would not have to replace the motherboard and all that goes on it...

To be clear I don't use Windows. This isn't my computer. It's one I have been provided to do some work on. My computer is a (real) Unix machine which is what I was referring to in the initial post :)

As for the penguin, on the server, yeah fine, just about. On the desktop, it's an unholy abomination. Colour management, high DPI, power management is a joke as is any software maturity. It was going well on gnome 2 and then they decided to rewrite everything again...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 07:15:05 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120896 on: May 27, 2022, 07:23:40 pm »

Back in the day, when serial printers were a thing, and most of our users were on dumb terminals all connected over serial lines one of those saved my life on more occasions than I care to recall.

One of those and a PSION II with a serial interface and a couple of 26 to 9 D adaptors were my go-to kit for modems telemetry links nad the like. I even used the PSION for datalogging in operating theatres. They were trying to use IBM PC's but quite rightly the saftety people said no becase of the risk of shock to patients and explosion from gases.
Apparently something that ran off a 9V PP3 battery was not a problem  8)

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #120897 on: May 27, 2022, 07:32:19 pm »

I was inquiring if anybody around is about to visit Drottningholm.

I went past this morning; I live on an island further out in the same collection-of-islands county, but now I'm in Lissabon, for a weekend trip.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120898 on: May 27, 2022, 08:04:52 pm »

Yeah, honestly... I just hope they didn't damage the lookie-lookie choob™ when they were using it for a planter...

Good hunting!

mnem

ROAD TRIP!!!   ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 11:42:37 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #120899 on: May 27, 2022, 08:13:55 pm »

To be clear I don't use Windows. This isn't my computer. It's one I have been provided to do some work on. My computer is a (real) Unix machine which is what I was referring to in the initial post :)

As for the penguin, on the server, yeah fine, just about. On the desktop, it's an unholy abomination. Colour management, high DPI, power management is a joke as is any software maturity. It was going well on gnome 2 and then they decided to rewrite everything again...

Win10 1903 is looking a lot less toxic now, inn't it...?  :-DD

mnem
It's okay... we all know he'll flip-flop next week, then flip on his flip-flop again in 'nuther week; that's just bd139's way. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf