Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14567177 times)

dl6lr, klab, BrianInTexas, Vince, K0ELB and 14 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121025 on: May 28, 2022, 10:44:23 pm »
In a similar vein, I remember a story about some company that designed ages ago a board with a 68HC11 or something MCU. running at 4MHz or something, slow clock of back in the day. Their board was working just fine. Then years later suddenly their board was losing its mind, didn't work anymore.  Turns out the manufacturer for their MCU moved on to a newer fabrication process, as you do. The chip was internally then much faster, faster rise times. Of course the manufacturer didn't deem it necessary to inform their customers of this change !
So the board would act up, and had to be redesigned with "high-speed" techniques, then it would work again. ::)

There's a standard tendency to concentrate on tsetup and forget about thold, which is just as important. Guess which one can be the problem with faster devices!
tsetup problems can quite often be fixed by adding some wait states but thold problems can be a whole lot more difficult to fix.

I once had a problem with an STM modem chip that didn't meet its thold specifications due to some timing failure within the internal chip strobe logic. It frequently captured the next address put out on the mux'ed bus by the AVR micro rather than the data of the previous cycle.

As there was no reasonable substitute for the STM chip I had had to come up with a complex workaround that involved a CPLD interposed on the data bus to hold any write data for long enough for the STM chip to recognise it whilst not affecting any other of the bus operations.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #121026 on: May 28, 2022, 10:48:48 pm »

You have any idea how long it's been since I actually replaced the surround in a driver...?   :-DD

I did it perhaps a year back. A quad pair of 4 1/2" drivers that are official unobtainium, but new foam surrounds are made.  Easy as pie.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #121027 on: May 28, 2022, 11:13:48 pm »
Ugh so my middle one wants a gaming PC. She has a T495 Ryzen 5 3500U pro laptop which isn't cutting the mustard now. Plus the constant fan noise is pissing me off  :-DD

Anyone care to comment on the following idea:

- Ryzen 5600G
- 16Gb corsair LPX 3200 RAM (2x 8Gb)
- 500Gb Samsung 870 Evo Plus
- Be quiet 600W supply
- Lian Li Liancool 205M
- have monitor, keyboard, mouse, MSI B550 board, be quiet cooler floating around already which can go in it. Oh and a ripped off win 10 pro license  :-DD

Will upgrade the GPU next year...
have several here. Contact me if you want. Also have GPUs to go along with those. From 1660ti to 3090 ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #121028 on: May 28, 2022, 11:32:23 pm »
   damn you. damn you to... New Jersey.  >:D

mnem

You’re welcome.   ;D ;D ;D

The last side of the second A10 is currently slathered in stripping goop.  Some time after midnight it should be ready for scraping.   -Pat

And so begins one dwagon's descent into madness...    :o

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #121029 on: May 28, 2022, 11:38:50 pm »
Vince it is now my turn on the fridge.

wife screaming: the freezer stuff is melted....

Freezer coil completely frozen, coil heater element 30 Ohm so good.
Whirlpool W10165425 Defrost Bimetal switch 58KOhm at 27 Degrees, fishy. I am now let the freezer running and see....

oh see, it could be good:
Some defrost terminators have an internal resistor, usually about 55k, that is used by ADC (adaptive defrost control, i.e. electronic circuit board) to determine how often and how long (duration) the defrost cycle has functioned, basically building a short defrost "history" to minimize energy usage. That helps explain why some terminators are specific, not necessarily just Open or Closed, but Open= 55k ohms.  My notes for W10165425 say "Opens @ 42 degrees, Closes @ 12 degrees; with 56k PTC (ohms incr with temp increase); has fixed 5/16" tube clip, 6" leads, no terminals; included in harness W10290745; not illus for heater 12729128"

Best case the door was left open... and no I do not have an open door alarm.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:43:37 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #121030 on: May 28, 2022, 11:44:40 pm »

you will never know your limit if you stay all the time on the couch! well done, regardless what it will be.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #121031 on: May 29, 2022, 12:00:16 am »
in our company they are worshipping the holy agile. they wanted to send me an agile coach for a waterfall project with a 120 item work breakdown structure :palm: .
"There is always a well-known solution to every human problem—neat, plausible, and wrong" - Murphy quoted from 1920; and the management felled for.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12:03:25 am by Zoli »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121032 on: May 29, 2022, 12:01:22 am »
If they are crapacitors, why are they marked "BDxx" when others in the meter are marked "Cxx"? And why are they all measuring 0Ω?

SMD 0 Ohm resistors used as wire bridges?

That's my belief, but I've never seen zero-ohms-links like these before. They are normally ceramic chips with carbon/metal film, these are like chunks of carbon in the shape of smd caps, hence the confusion.
I don't understand what you're talking about, unless for some reason I have the wrong photo to work from. I can see the 2 glass tube thingies next to the PTC's which I think you will discover are purely surge arrestors, like spark gaps but encapsulated in glass and the only thing I can see (under 300% magnification) where you describe as being below the spring contact is a SMD crapacitor marked C7, see attached photo edited.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #121033 on: May 29, 2022, 12:02:56 am »
That sounds like the cue for a "Yo mama so ugly that ..." joke.

I shall resist. This time.
Let me help you out: Denmark never dissapiont.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121034 on: May 29, 2022, 12:19:15 am »
I was watching another bench meter (yeah like I need another  :-DD), a TTi 1906 on the bay of evil, and right upto the last few seconds it was going just £30 + £11 P&P which I thought for that meter is pretty good, so I whacked my max bid on it in the closing stages but was staggered to see it jump to £66 + P&P,  :wtf: I thought someone was really desperate to get one of that level of quality to pay that much, considering the overall condition of it  :o

Was it anyone on here that won it? They are really nice meters to have on the bench apart from its accuracy, they one of the very few affordable bench meters that have a continuity setting built in. I like mine, and the other bench meter that I know has that feature is the Blackstar 4503.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121035 on: May 29, 2022, 12:49:03 am »
kind of expensive Lecroy current probe on Ebay. Sold as "For parts or not working". But don't worry all the parts are there. Just not attached to each other anymore  :-DD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/251451201371

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121036 on: May 29, 2022, 01:17:48 am »

mnem
you will never know your limit if you stay all the time on the couch! well done, regardless what it will be.
The madness continues...

I've done the preliminary stripping of old surrounds and gasket quadrants; also have wiped down everything with IPA. A good 95% of the nastiness is now cleaned out and in the dustbin. I'll probably have to go over the basket edge and gasket quadrants with something a wee bit more aggressive than IPA;  mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. I'll need to do a little research to see if the poly cones can stand up to that. Maybe try Goo Gone/Orange Oil first. :-//

mnem
*couch tuber time widda kiddles* >:D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 06:33:38 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121037 on: May 29, 2022, 01:22:19 am »
When a seller on Amazon is selling a Rigol DS1054z for $82. And that's in Canadian. Ummm what? Not touching that with a trillion foot barge pole!

https://www.amazon.ca/Rigol-DS1054Z-4-channel-Digital-Oscilloscope/dp/B012938E76/

It has to be a weird product mix up.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121038 on: May 29, 2022, 01:56:01 am »
When a seller on Amazon is selling a Rigol DS1054z for $82. And that's in Canadian. Ummm what? Not touching that with a trillion foot barge pole!

https://www.amazon.ca/Rigol-DS1054Z-4-channel-Digital-Oscilloscope/dp/B012938E76/

I'll let you know I just ordered one   ;D

Offline YurkshireLad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121039 on: May 29, 2022, 01:57:55 am »

Mad man!!

I was tempted but I didn't want to deal with whatever state it will be in.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:00:43 am by YurkshireLad »

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121040 on: May 29, 2022, 02:04:43 am »

Mad man!!

I was tempted but I didn't want to deal with whatever state it will be in.

Normally, returning something on Amazon is not much of a problem.

Only 6 left  ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121041 on: May 29, 2022, 02:24:57 am »
I tried, but even tho it supposedly ships from the US, they wouldn't let me have one. bastards.  :rant:

Hmmm.... Less than stellar feedback. Maybe you should try that phone number, see if you do in fact talk to a real human being in less than 10 seconds...  :o

mnem
*shopping speaker surround kits*
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:26:48 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121042 on: May 29, 2022, 03:12:43 am »

mnem
The madness continues...

I've done the preliminary stripping of old surrounds and gasket quadrants; also have wiped down everything with IPA. A good 95% of the nastiness is now cleaned out and in the dustbin. I'll probably have to go over the basket edge and gasket quadrants with something a wee bit more aggressive than IPA;  mineral spirits or lacquer thinner. I'll need to do a little research to see if the poly cones can stand up to that. Maybe try Goo Gone/Orange Oil first. :-//

mnem
*couch tuber time widda kiddles* >:D

One more thing you might want to do to make your coil form centering dead nuts accurate is to carefully cut the dust cap off and use some shims to center the coil form on the magnet.

Offline SoundTech-LG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121043 on: May 29, 2022, 03:20:49 am »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121044 on: May 29, 2022, 03:41:20 am »
Cerebus does not have a thimble ?  :-//

"He don't need no steenkin' thimble!" ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121045 on: May 29, 2022, 03:49:58 am »

One more thing you might want to do to make your coil form centering dead nuts accurate is to carefully cut the dust cap off and use some shims to center the coil form on the magnet.
You don't need to shim the voice coil if the spider is intact and hasn't come loose; you really only need to do that to ensure the VC is perfectly square when gluing down the spider during a repair/recone.

I've done more of these than I can count dynamically using a 30-80 hz sine wave sweep input while starting the gluing of the outer edge of the roll-foam. Cutting/replacing the cap affects the sound of the speaker and is an easy path to speaker death if you slip up; I won't do it unless I have to.

EDIT: I watched the vid you posted; it's short. Nothing in there I wasn't already aware to inspect for. Nice thing about these speakers is you can actually look inside and see the inner dust cap is intact, as are all the glue joints he's talking about.

Surround kit ordered from Springfield Speaker.

I've been doing business with them for decades; highly recommended source for speaker repair parts. :-+

mnem
:=\
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 04:04:45 am by mnementh »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121046 on: May 29, 2022, 05:03:50 am »
Todays barbeque with the in-laws friends was a hit, bringing the Australian culture to Japan. :D

Time to hit the sake!  ;D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121047 on: May 29, 2022, 05:13:32 am »
OMG, this stuff is smoootthhh! Some sake is like gasoline  but this stuff, I do recommend! :D
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #121048 on: May 29, 2022, 06:02:44 am »
there are so many different sorts of sake ... all with their very peculiar taste.
I want to go back to Japan for a visit. I honestly quite enjoyed it there. Need to brush up on my japanese, though.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 08:09:52 am by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121049 on: May 29, 2022, 07:24:29 am »
If they are crapacitors, why are they marked "BDxx" when others in the meter are marked "Cxx"? And why are they all measuring 0Ω?

SMD 0 Ohm resistors used as wire bridges?

That's my belief, but I've never seen zero-ohms-links like these before. They are normally ceramic chips with carbon/metal film, these are like chunks of carbon in the shape of smd caps, hence the confusion.
I don't understand what you're talking about, unless for some reason I have the wrong photo to work from. I can see the 2 glass tube thingies next to the PTC's which I think you will discover are purely surge arrestors, like spark gaps but encapsulated in glass and the only thing I can see (under 300% magnification) where you describe as being below the spring contact is a SMD crapacitor marked C7, see attached photo edited.

In the interests of maintaining Specmaster's sanity, I broke out the usb microscope and took some better pictures of the offending articles.

The one marked BD7 is slightly over-inked, and that and the ink from the package outline have bled together somewhat. I took a pic of BD8 as well, which you can see could easily be read as "BOB" if the lighting and magnification weren't optimal.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf