Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14884687 times)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #121075 on: May 29, 2022, 10:48:31 am »
I did snipe something today, but not the Keithley. I promise ...

With you I'm never sure so I'll ask... Snipe as in "pick up a good bargain" or Snipe as in "hang around on a roof top with a high powered rifle"?  ???

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #121076 on: May 29, 2022, 10:52:58 am »
If you must know, I did win an auction for the girl version of something similar to the Inspector Callahan style slug thrower.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121077 on: May 29, 2022, 10:57:42 am »
Got a close up of the component marked "RV3". Not sure it's a TVS, those should measure infinite resistance? These measure ~200 megs.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121078 on: May 29, 2022, 11:01:16 am »
I bet if you lifted up one leg it’d be open circuit. Something else is probably defining the measured resistance.

IV curve for those is fairly abrupt  :-DD

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #121079 on: May 29, 2022, 11:01:35 am »
If you must know, I did win an auction for the girl version of something similar to the Inspector Callahan style slug thrower.

I just figured Dirty Harry Clint Eastwood throwing "Nacktschnecken" at Saskia ;)

SCNR ;) (Yes, I know, there's a lot of other translations for slug, most probably better matching the matter).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:03:59 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121080 on: May 29, 2022, 11:05:46 am »
ok, to give you a more exact specification:
I won a S&W 28-2 for 334 Pesos.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121081 on: May 29, 2022, 11:17:29 am »

If you can find cheap good condition 547's regularly and close to you... well lucky you ! Not here.

Come back to the UK then. Am I right in thinking that you went to the Hertford University to study? If so, that I have done a few lighting projects there.

Yes I attempted an EE B.Eng (hons) in Herts Uni in Hatfield, 3 years total, 2 years at Uni per se + one optional placement/sandwich year that I chose to do.
Started in September 1998 then next year moved near Cambridge to do my placement in a small company Webtec Instruments in Saint-Ives, then moved back to Hatfield in September 2000 to do the final year, didn't get the degree for XYZ reason (I didn't even take the final exam IIRC) then left the country, back to Frog land, in September 2001.

I don't think I will ever move back to the UK, I have just built a house here and I like it very much here. France is fucked up in many ways thanks to our successive corrupt governments, but no worse than any other western country I think... I still think I got lucky to be born here rather than anywhere else. My luck in life ends about there though...

So I rely on TEA to stay in touch with the UK, and on shipping companies to get stuff from there. You have to compromise, can't have it all...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 03:11:06 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121082 on: May 29, 2022, 11:23:38 am »
Task list for the day. TE day.

1. Fire up the Heathkit counter on a bench supply and check it out. Then bring up on mains.
2. Test and calibrate the black star 2010 FG
3. Strip down the 34401A, clean and inspect.
4. Finish parts bulk order and submit to CPC.

Photos coming throughout the day :)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121083 on: May 29, 2022, 11:27:59 am »

7 & 9 pin "miniature" tubes don't much care about conditions---the working bits are sealed inside, after all, & the pins are quite rigid.
Octals may suffer, because the connecting leads inside the plastic bases are a bit more flimsy.

Lost vacuum is usually the result of "one off" sealing problems in service, or rough handling of loose tubes.
Even though I have no real space for a 500 series CRO, I would grab it if it were nearby at that price.

I have to disagree with you there, unless the outside environment is very dry, i.e the desert mine dumps, that a certain Youtuber has found old TVs & radios to resurrect.
In the UK outside with plenty of rain, or damp leaky sheds, lofts, garages etc. is more typical. The tube pins corrode to the point they crack the glass and you can say goodbye to the vacuum, or the neon fill for volt-ref & display tubes.

Example from a 50MHz hp scope, 2/3rds of the glassware was cracked and it didn't matter it they were German, British, Dutch, US or Japanese, etc. brands, they failed they same way.  :'(
I was able to rescue enough OK tubes to get the vertical input plug-in going and a couple for the delayed timebase plug-in, but that was it. The rest became a parts donor, as I have three of them that are in much better condition.

David

Wow that's a lot of white tubes indeed ! :-DD

Still not a showstopper in the case of this 547 since again, that would be dead easy to spot when I would have looked at it. Hell even if not in the flesh, on pictures alone it would be easy to spot.
Plus if the pins are corroded that bad, there would also be obviosu signs of corrosion everywhere else in side the scope, would also be easy to spot even remotely on pictures.

My take on it, based on the picture an extensive  experience of French sellers on that website... is simply that this scope has been pulled from a garage and put on that terrace / garden simply so the guy can have broad day light to take decent pictures of it. Many of the scopes I bought were taken pictures of in a similar fashion and none appeared to actually have been living in the environment the pictures were taken at. Thankfully.
If that scope had indeed been sitting for years outside where that pic shows, the outside of it would be in a much worse condition I think. There would be nothing left of the side covers to begin with. Like no paint left, just rusty panels.

I just don't see the decorative value of that scope in a garden. If just for that it's unlikely it would have been sitting there for years under the rain...

Again... its condition would be obvious once seeing it in the flesh, so it does not matter the speculation and guesses. If it's just down the street you simply go have a look (armed with a screw driver to open it), and be done with it. Like it, take it. Don't like it, don't take it. Simple...  :-//

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:38:55 am by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121084 on: May 29, 2022, 11:29:03 am »

1. Fire up the Heathkit counter on a bench supply and check it out. Then bring up on mains.

What does " CPC " stand for ??

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121085 on: May 29, 2022, 11:40:12 am »

CPC: https://cpc.farnell.com/

Component and stuff supplier. Cheap but generally staffed by retards.

Example problems here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/cpc-in-the-uk-are-a-disaster-of-a-company/msg2599527/

I still use them occasionally as you get other people’s orders  :-DD. Also they are the only UK stockist of decent and cheap resistors. The multicomp 1% 0.25W ones are actually decent quality Royal Ohm ones.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 11:44:07 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121086 on: May 29, 2022, 11:43:25 am »

With you I'm never sure so I'll ask... Snipe as in "pick up a good bargain" or Snipe as in "hang around on a roof top with a high powered rifle"?  ???

McBryce.

I'm mostly harmless ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #121087 on: May 29, 2022, 11:52:59 am »
I bet if you lifted up one leg it’d be open circuit. Something else is probably defining the measured resistance.

IV curve for those is fairly abrupt  :-DD

Maybe. Anyway, I've suspended proceedings for the time being; I'm coughing and sneezing too much, and I don't want to add gobbets of phlegm to the board...

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #121088 on: May 29, 2022, 12:05:59 pm »

Aren't all companies like that? Can't tell a capacitor from a sticky sweet?

They used to have cheap tant bead caps.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121089 on: May 29, 2022, 12:08:35 pm »

It used to be Combined Precision Components, but just shortened to CPC these days.

I've only had one order messed up by them, a few years back I had some compact fluroescent lamps on the order and got Halogen instead, they did send the correct ones after contacting them and for some reason didn't want the incorrect ones back.
Also packaging can be poor, i.e. heavy items in the same box, with delicate items and a few of those crappy air filled packets in between.

David
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12:18:00 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121090 on: May 29, 2022, 12:10:12 pm »

It used to be Combined Precision Components, but just shortened to CPC these days.

David

Think it stands for Chinese Procurement Crapfest now.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121091 on: May 29, 2022, 12:11:39 pm »

Aren't all companies like that? Can't tell a capacitor from a sticky sweet?

They used to have cheap tant bead caps.

Fair point. At least RS has some sort of validation process on what you buy.

They still sell those. Thanks for the reminder! Added to shopping list.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121092 on: May 29, 2022, 12:27:02 pm »

McBryce.

I'm mostly harmless ...

I dunno about that - that avatar feels like a warning to all who would cross you ...  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121093 on: May 29, 2022, 12:31:13 pm »
OK OK... so if CPC has some cheap good stuff of their own, OK might be worth the trouble (looked at your CPC topic.. scary) I don't know... but for everything else why not just order direct from the UK Farnell web site ?

In 15+ years I have never had any issue with a Farnell order here. Only thing I hate is that 99% of the time, my order comes in 2 or 3  different deliveries, because the items are stored in various warehouses of theirs, throughout Europe. So I have one transistor coming from a French warehouse, a resistor coming from a UK warehouse, etc etc. Problem is that I get billed by each different warehouse !
So when I order for say 50 Euros worth of good from Farnell's website, on my bank account I don't see this single50 Euros payment. Instead I will a 13.67 Euros payment from one Warehouse, then 3 days later another warehouse will charge me 23.69 euros, etc etc, and I have to keep track of all these payments in my bank account to make sure it all adds up to the expected total amount. It's an accounting shit show, I hate that !  |O

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121094 on: May 29, 2022, 12:52:27 pm »
Oh bollocks. So who sniped this before I did at the checkout  :-DD

Innocent.

Unfortunately.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #121095 on: May 29, 2022, 12:52:40 pm »
I'm mostly harmless ...

Where my mind went with that comment.....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #121096 on: May 29, 2022, 12:55:36 pm »
Alright Vince, you called it...

I have a TDS794D on the way to me in the next few days...  :-DD
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, factory, cyclin_al, Peter_O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121097 on: May 29, 2022, 01:01:34 pm »
OK OK... so if CPC has some cheap good stuff of their own, OK might be worth the trouble (looked at your CPC topic.. scary) I don't know... but for everything else why not just order direct from the UK Farnell web site ?

In 15+ years I have never had any issue with a Farnell order here. Only thing I hate is that 99% of the time, my order comes in 2 or 3  different deliveries, because the items are stored in various warehouses of theirs, throughout Europe. So I have one transistor coming from a French warehouse, a resistor coming from a UK warehouse, etc etc. Problem is that I get billed by each different warehouse !
So when I order for say 50 Euros worth of good from Farnell's website, on my bank account I don't see this single50 Euros payment. Instead I will a 13.67 Euros payment from one Warehouse, then 3 days later another warehouse will charge me 23.69 euros, etc etc, and I have to keep track of all these payments in my bank account to make sure it all adds up to the expected total amount. It's an accounting shit show, I hate that !  |O

Farnell is a lot more expensive on the same lines generally.

Example if I want 50x 1K 0.25W 1% resistors:

CPC = £1.19 inc VAT
Farnell = £3.20 inc VAT

For the same fucking item.

I can the same shipped from Tayda for $1 but the delivery cost usually kills the efficiency of that.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121098 on: May 29, 2022, 01:08:32 pm »
Alright Vince, you called it...

I have a TDS794D on the way to me in the next few days...  :-DD

Cool !  :-+

Once you have done all your usual magic to it, I will trade it for this gem of mine.
A beautiful OEM Brother 9mm cassette, worth a fortune.

I am willing to let it go for a mere 500 Euros because it has slight wear and tear here and there, but is otherwise perfectly functional, all the bits are present, guaranteed.
I am even willing to give TEA members a special discount, 2% off. But I have only one available so first come first served, hurry up ! >:D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 01:25:31 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, factory, cyclin_al, m k

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #121099 on: May 29, 2022, 01:13:39 pm »
Reminds me of my experience with 8 track tapes as a teenager.  :phew:

Cool !  :-+

Once you have done all your usual magic to it, I will trade it for this gem of mine.
A beautiful OEM 9mm cassette, worth a fortune.

I am willing to let it go for a mere 500 Euros because it has slight wear and tear here and there, but is otherwise perfectly functional, all the bits are present, guaranteed.
I am even willing to give TEA members a special discount, 2% off. But I have only one available so first come first served, hurry up ! >:D

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf