Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14825763 times)

6h8c and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #124825 on: July 01, 2022, 08:34:46 pm »
Forgive the dumb question, but why not just put that tool in a vice to squeeze it smoothly instead of hammering it ?!  :-//
The smooth progressive action of the vice would be kind to the lug wouldn't it.

I mean a real big/full size garage vice of course, not the tiny vice we use in the lab, that goes without saying ! ;D
With a little care you can indeed make very serviceable crimps in a vise if you know how.
Not so much with the smaller cable sizes however in a permanent installation where there will be zero vibration or rarely a need to disconnect it, then bucket type lugs, those without a opening at the bottom of the bucket then soldering on crimps works just fine however a cleaner job is done with a Propane torch rather than Oxy/Acetylene.

Crimps in the vice with commercially or homemade lugs really need a reasonably heavy wall lug to withstand the compression as only 2 sides of the crimp are contacted on.
First you need a crimp that well matches the cable size and then the Hex head of a bolt or stout nut for just one of the Hex faces to be squeezed into the side of the barrel of the crimp to leave a deep rectangle pressed into the crimp.
I've used this method with 100% success over many decades on heavy welder leads and with a couple of layers of shrink sleeve for strain relief it's a quick solution if you don't have some blowtorch handy or your sparky mate with the good crimpers has gone AWOL.
Those are the things that men have done....and should keep mum about.
Except in dire emergency, (and this does not include getting standard work done, which is just comfortable to have completed) such as in the field or under the threat of losses of lives or property, they should practice such or make the knowledge available. It is surely nothing that should be written in a forum where some not-so-well informed person might get the idea that it is a technique that can stand in its own right against proper procedures.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #124826 on: July 01, 2022, 08:40:47 pm »
Forgive the dumb question, but why not just put that tool in a vice to squeeze it smoothly instead of hammering it ?!  :-//

I mean a real big/full size garage vice of course, not the tiny vice we use in the lab, that goes without saying ! ;D
With a little care you can indeed make very serviceable crimps in a vise if you know how.
Not so much with the smaller cable sizes however in a permanent installation where there will be zero vibration or rarely a need to disconnect it, then bucket type lugs, those without a opening at the bottom of the bucket then soldering on crimps works just fine however a cleaner job is done with a Propane torch rather than Oxy/Acetylene.

Crimps in the vice with commercially or homemade lugs really need a reasonably heavy wall lug to withstand the compression as only 2 sides of the crimp are contacted on.
First you need a crimp that well matches the cable size and then the Hex head of a bolt or stout nut for just one of the Hex faces to be squeezed into the side of the barrel of the crimp to leave a deep rectangle pressed into the crimp.
I've used this method with 100% success over many decades on heavy welder leads and with a couple of layers of shrink sleeve for strain relief it's a quick solution if you don't have some blowtorch handy or your sparky mate with the good crimpers has gone AWOL.
Edit
However care must be taken where one might do such non-standard procedures so to properly consider the risk to life, limb or property.
Those are the things that men have done....and should keep mum about.
Except in dire emergency, (and this does not include getting standard work done, which is just comfortable to have completed) such as in the field or under the threat of losses of lives or property, they should practice such or make the knowledge available. It is surely nothing that should be written in a forum where some not-so-well informed person might get the idea that it is a technique that can stand in its own right against proper procedures.
Quite so, warnings being added.  :-+
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:17:05 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #124827 on: July 01, 2022, 09:25:22 pm »
   SOME PARTS OF A 54621D are here.  :-+   mnem   *disappears into the dwagon-cave*

eBay auction: #394108410221 https://www.ebay.com/usr/tekyard_medical

"Item not as described" dispute filed.

mnem
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:48:41 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124828 on: July 01, 2022, 09:30:43 pm »
Woe is me - I feel so strange - since when do I write such comments as above?
Is that already a result of spending the better part of the day with that obnoxious Health & Safety guy?
Must urgently perform some dangerous acts now!
 ;) :scared:

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124829 on: July 01, 2022, 09:35:10 pm »
SOME PARTS OF A 54621D are here.  :-+   mnem   *disappears into the dwagon-cave*

mnem

Yeah that's a shit show and a half  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

I bet that happened because someone couldn't work out how to replace a capacitor  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124830 on: July 01, 2022, 09:41:53 pm »
Yes I was right, we can talk for pages and pages about crimping a big cable.
This is the only place that can happen so flawlessly.

Fantastic performance gang! Many thanks!

My major concern is now the power company: will they let me interconnect my solar/battery system IF I do not plan to sell back the energy to them?
All what I need is to stay passive as I am now....no change in my current contract.
I sent already an email... I am scared to read their response.

Most of the horror stories I read about are exactly the opposite: some monkey-butt thinking they're going to "stick it to da man" because they read somewhere that the electric company has to allow you to backfeed and that they have to pay you for the electricity you generate. In those cases, you as a "power plant" have to ensure QOS and they will have very specific demands as to the hardware they allow you to connect to their grid.

In a "consumer-only" scenario, I believe there is going to have be some form of power conditioning or isolation that has to be installed between "your grid" and "their grid"; even if it is as simple as you using a big-arse transformer to charge your battery bank when needed. I do not believe they will allow you to connect their grid directly to the solar-powered/generated AC you use for your own household AC power under any circumstances.

mnem
 :bullshit:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124831 on: July 01, 2022, 09:44:43 pm »

mnem

Wow sorry Dragon !  :(

I guess we now know why it was so good looking on the outside yet so suspiciously cheap...

But at least as you say it's ebay so you can file a dispute. Had it been on CL or my French equivalent where I buy all my old junk, the only option would be to cry and swallow the pill, however big it might be.

Hoping you can get your money back. In that kind of situation, does the seller pay for the return shipping, or is it you, hence you will have lost some money in the end anyway ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124832 on: July 01, 2022, 09:47:16 pm »
Hopefully they will write it off and just refund. Had that a couple of times. Good luck mnem  :-DD

Then you just need to find a display for it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124833 on: July 01, 2022, 09:49:13 pm »

mnem

Am I missing something here, to me, it is exactly as described, not working, but lights up, nothing on screen and handle missing  :-// Have you powered it up?, did the lights come on? If so, sorry, but I think they have fulfilled their brief. Ok, it is clear that at least 1 PCB is missing, are they supposed to be aware of that? It sucks, I know, but the Dwagon is normally more astute than this, did you not ask any questions about this?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124834 on: July 01, 2022, 09:50:26 pm »
Hopefully they will write it off and just refund. Had that a couple of times. Good luck mnem  :-DD

Then you just need to find a display for it  :-DD

Wow that would be Christmas if that happened ! :o

I think I should start buying stuff on Ebay, sounds cool ! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124835 on: July 01, 2022, 09:58:05 pm »

mnem

Yeah that's a shit show and a half  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

I bet that happened because someone couldn't work out how to replace a capacitor  :palm:

Worse, neither this unit nor the "fixed" unit will be correct again unless the monitor is factory calibrated.

Vert/Horiz linearity and trap are all on the monitor mainboard.

I'd probably have just shrugged if the faulty board had been swapped over though... that is one of the things I do "expect with parts units". I just expect to get all my fucking parts, good or busted, unless it's described otherwise.    ::)

mnem
 :-BROKE

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Cubdriver, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124836 on: July 01, 2022, 10:17:53 pm »
Wow sorry Dragon !  :(   I guess we now know why it was so good looking on the outside yet so suspiciously cheap...

But at least as you say it's ebay so you can file a dispute. Had it been on CL or my French equivalent where I buy all my old junk, the only option would be to cry and swallow the pill, however big it might be.

Hoping you can get your money back. In that kind of situation, does the seller pay for the return shipping, or is it you, hence you will have lost some money in the end anyway ?

If you'd bought it on your version française de Craigslist, you would have paid and picked up in person. Had you done so, the guts would have fallen out on the table and you'd very well have seen the missing bits, as the missing screws mean the only thing holding it together was literally the bubble-wrap.  :palm:

So no, not the same. I'm pretty sure that you'd have said "No thank you!" if the unit or the seller seemed bogus in person.

I actually called eBay Customer Support on this one and asked how this should be handled; because it is a critical part from inside the unit which was not disclosed, she opened the dispute as "Not As Described". Had it been a non-critical external part obviously missing from photos, or an accessory, that would have been different.

Because of this "Not As Described" status, no... seller will be liable for every penny I paid plus the cost of the return label. If he wants the stoopit thing back. There is a small chance he might just refund to prevent negative feedback, but I've learned better than to hope for that.

But screwing a TEA would cost that bonehead far more than he knows; the word will spread.

SELLER HOMEPAGE: https://www.ebay.com/usr/tekyard_medical

mnem
*in no mood to suffer fools gladly*

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124837 on: July 01, 2022, 10:25:58 pm »
Hello Mnem, what are you doing in my PSpice?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124838 on: July 01, 2022, 10:26:26 pm »
Wow sorry Dragon !  :(   I guess we now know why it was so good looking on the outside yet so suspiciously cheap...

If you'd bought it on your version française de Craigslist, you would have paid and picked up in person.

[...]
So no, not the same. I'm pretty sure that you'd have said "No thank you!" if the unit or the seller seemed bogus in person.

mnem
*in no mood to suffer fools gladly*

Oh didn't know CL FORCED you to not ship, that's weird, why can't the seller and buyer do whatever the hell they want... if both parties agree to ship, that's none of CL's business ?!  :-//

Anyway, didn't know about that...

Crossing my human fingers and toes for you, hoping you can keep the scope and get a refund, that would be super cool, a bunch of parts delivered at your door step for free ! :D
... to help you fix or/and maintain the next one you will buy, of course !  8)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 10:44:35 pm by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124839 on: July 01, 2022, 10:33:47 pm »
Am I missing something here, to me, it is exactly as described, not working, but lights up, nothing on screen and handle missing  :-// Have you powered it up?, did the lights come on? If so, sorry, but I think they have fulfilled their brief. Ok, it is clear that at least 1 PCB is missing, are they supposed to be aware of that? It sucks, I know, but the Dwagon is normally more astute than this, did you not ask any questions about this?

Short version: It was sold as an oscilloscope for parts, not sold as 75% of an oscilloscope with crucial parts missing.

That is "significantly not as described".

As I explained to Vince; had it been a non-critical external part obviously missing from photos, or an accessory, that would have been different.

There's fair reason to believe the seller knew they were doing something dishonest, or they'd have taken the whole monitor. It is much easier to remove than that PCB and doesn't risk causing a CRT implosion.

Of course, taking the whole monitor would've left a very obvious hole in the face of the unit.

mnem
Those bent pins on the CRT totes made me go tho...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124840 on: July 01, 2022, 10:57:07 pm »

Short version: It was sold as an oscilloscope for parts, not sold as 75% of an oscilloscope with crucial parts missing.

As I explained to Vince; had it been a non-critical external part obviously missing from photos, or an accessory, that would have been different.

There's fair reason to believe the seller knew they were doing something dishonest, or they'd have taken the whole monitor. It is much easier to remove than that PCB and doesn't risk causing a CRT implosion.

Of course, taking the whole monitor would've left a very obvious hole in the face of the unit.

mnem
Honestly, I doubt the seller is anything other than honest, look at his feedback rating etc. I think that they did plug it in as basically it essentially the power supply remains and the front panel, the lights did come on when they powered it up but nothing on the screen. The say that they are marketing and sellers of medical equipment, not makers or engineers, so the person may honestly be unaware that something vital is missing. I hope that the seller accepts the complaint and refunds you in full, and you get to keep what you have. But based on recent experience with eBay and their customer support with my recent problem, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to step in and decide who is at fault that they side with the seller.

You will remember that I recently sold some speaker stands via their GSP program, and despite the fact that I spoke to a customer support team member in Utah, who told me that they would find in my favour, they ultimately did the complete opposite. It was a fecking good job that had the foresight to actually pay more on the carriage to provide insurance on the item, otherwise I'd have been £50 out of pocket, as it was I'm about £3 out of pocket, the cost of the insurance because after a few weeks I did the insured value back.

Ebay is not the place it once was, it seems that they are like most other corporations today, obsessed with money and fair play seems to have flown out the door.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #124841 on: July 01, 2022, 10:57:59 pm »

Edit
However care must be taken where one might do such non-standard procedures so to properly consider the risk to life, limb or property.
Hey Vince, about the vise crimp we're trying to achieve with a Hex nut or bolt head, similar to this done with a commercial tool with a plunger pressing into a Vee .... this one a double - crimp some are + plungers.

Anyways, just the flat of a Hex done longways or across the lug depending on the size of the lug and the bolt/nut hex used to squeeeeze it together.
This is for a pis ant old and little 140A caddy welder lead, didn't check but probably 25mm2 cable and 13mm hole in the lug. Muppets that made it couldn't even be bothered to sleeve it for bending strain relief so it's starting to show signs of early failure.  :horse:

Final word:
Any lug crimp for mains must be done with approved tools to meet compliance.......trying to get my sparky mate's old crimpers that he can no longer use for NZ mains work and comply with a COC. (cert of compliance)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124842 on: July 01, 2022, 11:03:35 pm »
Oh didn't know CL FORCED you to not ship, that's weird, why can't the seller and buyer do whatever the hell they want... if both parties agree to ship, that's none of CL's business ?!  :-//

Crossing my human fingers and toes for you, hoping you can keep the scope and get a refund, that would be super cool, a bunch of parts delivered to your door step for free ! :D ...to help you fix or/and maintain the next one you will buy, of course !  8)

Woops, no they don't force anything. They don't facilitate anything either, like shipping, payment or provide any dispute resolution services.

As a result, their standard advice is to always do business in person, as that is your best means to avoid fraud.

That's why I assumed your similar site followed similar practices, unless you're silly enough to just PayPal money to some rando on the intardnet and hope you get your stuff. At least over here, that'd be just throwing money away.

mnem
 :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124843 on: July 01, 2022, 11:21:17 pm »
Honestly, I doubt the seller is anything other than honest, look at his feedback rating etc. I think that they did plug it in as basically it essentially the power supply remains and the front panel, the lights did come on when they powered it up but nothing on the screen. The say that they are marketing and sellers of medical equipment, not makers or engineers, so the person may honestly be unaware that something vital is missing. I hope that the seller accepts the complaint and refunds you in full, and you get to keep what you have. But based on recent experience with eBay and their customer support with my recent problem, I wouldn't be surprised if they have to step in and decide who is at fault that they side with the seller.

You will remember that I recently sold some speaker stands via their GSP program, and despite the fact that I spoke to a customer support team member in Utah, who told me that they would find in my favour, they ultimately did the complete opposite. It was a fecking good job that had the foresight to actually pay more on the carriage to provide insurance on the item, otherwise I'd have been £50 out of pocket, as it was I'm about £3 out of pocket, the cost of the insurance because after a few weeks I did the insured value back.

Ebay is not the place it once was, it seems that they are like most other corporations today, obsessed with money and fair play seems to have flown out the door.

There's no way the seller didn't know about this condition; you literally cannot handle it without the back falling off. The only thing holding it together was the bubble-wrap.

LOL... You'd think 100% feedback means that wouldn't you...? But no... eBay has a system, and sellers game it constantly to keep a high feedback rating. High volume sellers can get 5 bad feedback removed from every 1,000; and there are numerous other tricks a seller can use as well.

eBay is much more about damage control to the eBay brand than they are about actually providing a safe place to buy or sell, and they have been for a long, long time.

I recently posted neutral feedback on a purchase where this happened:

The seller sold a foam surround kit that was supposedly "for my RS-3000 speakers", but when it arrived, the "cement" in the kit was common carpenter's wood glue. Now this is not the best choice even for paper cones; it soaks into the cone and if you have to remove it, it destroys the paper... like say, if you need to replace the foam again in another 15-20 years. ;) But it is absolutely the wrong stuff for a poly cone speaker. Will not stick to it at all. :palm:

My feedback was neutral, and I gave 5 stars on all other aspects as shipping was reasonable and prompt, and my comment was absolutely factual - that they'd sent carpenter's wood glue instead of the cement needed for my poly cone speakers, and that even tho they'd refunded purchase price, the return process made me eat the outbound shipping.

Gone the next day.

Cheers,

mnem
eBay is a cesspool. never spend more there than you are willing to write off as a bad day.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:29:31 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124844 on: July 01, 2022, 11:31:11 pm »

Crossing my human fingers and toes for you, hoping you can keep the scope and get a refund, that would be super cool, a bunch of parts delivered to your door step for free ! :D ...to help you fix or/and maintain the next one you will buy, of course !  8)

Woops, no they don't force anything. They don't facilitate anything either, like shipping, payment or provide any dispute resolution services.

As a result, their standard advice is to always do business in person, as that is your best means to avoid fraud.

That's why I assumed your similar site followed similar practices, unless you're silly enough to just PayPal money to some rando on the intardnet and hope you get your stuff. At least over here, that'd be just throwing money away.

mnem
 :-+

Ah... uh, yes, here we are silly and just send money to the guy hoping to receive anything at all, that's how it works, the seller is assumed to be incompetent and greedy, but at least honest enough to at least send you the junk you paid him for.
Works the same for anything really. Whenever you buy something on-line from a professional vendor... if they don't send you your stuff, what are you gonna do ? Pay 5000 bucks a lawyer and spend 3 years in court hoping to get your 10 or 100 bucks back ? No, of course. So in practice you just have to trust that the seller private or pro, will indeed send you the stuff you paid him for...

That said, our site, leboncoin.fr, has been taken over by a bank from I can't remember what foreign country. A Northern country I think. IIRC Leboncoin is not French, it was first created in a Northern country. Sweden/Norway/Finland can't remember. So now that site is trying every trick they can think of, to steal some of your money.

One of their ideas is to serve as an intermediary for the transaction (as I explained to you in a recent MP) : the seller can, if he wants, offer the buyer to handle the transaction via the site. In this case the buyer sends the money to the site not the seller. The site then charges you a few Euros, saying it's for your SECURITY (magical trendy FUD word...). Then it gives the seller a couple days only to send the item. Then 4 days later it asks the buyer "have you received the item, or do you have a problem with it ? ". If you don't reply to that, the buyer will automatically receive his money. However if you say " Hell yeah there is a problem !!! " then you just have to cross fingers that the site will be honest and motivated enough to actually do something about it.... good luck.

But it happened to me once. I had bought a glowing Tek scope on that site, and with the seller we decided to let the site handle the transaction. Glad I did, because the seller never sent the scope !
So after a few days, seeing as the scope was not even posted at all, I told the site about it, saying well you have access to the tracking system of the shipment (because they partner with the shipping company), so you can see for yourself he never handed the item to the shipping company ! So... luckily the website refunded me my 50 Euros for the scope and shipping and their own fee as well !  :phew:

Other trick they use : when you use their messaging system to chat with the seller, they have a robot that scans your messages and censors e-mail addresses and phone numbers "FOR YOUR SECURITY" they say... when in fact it's just to make it as difficult for you as possible, to handle the transaction on your own, and force you to use the site instead. This way they get to charge the buyer a few Euros.
So what I do is send my e-mail address as a JPG image, because their chat system allows to send pictures. So far their robot does not "OCR" attached pictures, but for how long I don't know !  :palm:

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 09:22:12 am by Vince »

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124845 on: July 01, 2022, 11:35:57 pm »

Edit
Hey Vince, about the vise crimp we're trying to achieve with a Hex nut or bolt head, similar to this done with a commercial tool with a plunger pressing into a Vee .... this one a double - crimp some are + plungers.

Anyways, just the flat of a Hex done longways or across the lug depending on the size of the lug and the bolt/nut hex used to squeeeeze it together.
This is for a pis ant old and little 140A caddy welder lead, didn't check but probably 25mm2 cable and 13mm hole in the lug. Muppets that made it couldn't even be bothered to sleeve it for bending strain relief so it's starting to show signs of early failure.  :horse:

Final word:
Any lug crimp for mains must be done with approved tools to meet compliance.......trying to get my sparky mate's old crimpers that he can no longer use for NZ mains work and comply with a COC. (cert of compliance)

OH it looks like this lug is soon to part with that wire ! :-DD

Time to get that Hex bolt and vice in action, replace that crimp and show us nice pictures ! I am waiting !  >:D

Going to bed, good night....   :=\
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:40:42 pm by Vince »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124846 on: July 02, 2022, 12:43:27 am »

There's no way the seller didn't know about this condition; you literally cannot handle it without the back falling off. The only thing holding it together was the bubble-wrap.

LOL... You'd think 100% feedback means that wouldn't you...? But no... eBay has a system, and sellers game it constantly to keep a high feedback rating. High volume sellers can get 5 bad feedback removed from every 1,000; and there are numerous other tricks a seller can use as well.

eBay is much more about damage control to the eBay brand than they are about actually providing a safe place to buy or sell, and they have been for a long, long time.

I recently posted neutral feedback on a purchase where this happened:

The seller sold a foam surround kit that was supposedly "for my RS-3000 speakers", but when it arrived, the "cement" in the kit was common carpenter's wood glue. Now this is not the best choice even for paper cones; it soaks into the cone and if you have to remove it, it destroys the paper... like say, if you need to replace the foam again in another 15-20 years. ;) But it is absolutely the wrong stuff for a poly cone speaker. Will not stick to it at all. :palm:

My feedback was neutral, and I gave 5 stars on all other aspects as shipping was reasonable and prompt, and my comment was absolutely factual - that they'd sent carpenter's wood glue instead of the cement needed for my poly cone speakers, and that even tho they'd refunded purchase price, the return process made me eat the outbound shipping.

Gone the next day.

Cheers,

mnem
eBay is a cesspool. never spend more there than you are willing to write off as a bad day.

gotta' agree with the dragon on this one.

with those two T-15 screws missing from the back the cabinet will almost fall off on its own.  (don't ask how i know)

even if you did not know there was supposed to be a display board inside, how could you not notice the ribbon cables hanging loose inside?

will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

edit  just looked and there are supposed to be 3 screws back there.  mine is missing one.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 01:30:00 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124847 on: July 02, 2022, 12:44:36 am »

mnem

After some 10 years of spending rather too much of my working life on Picture monitors (I'm an RF Tech for Pete's sake!), I found that CRT implosions are rare to the point of invisibility.

Even when we wanted to dispose of CRTs & needed to "de-vacuum" them, for anything other than very early, (think 1950s style) tubes, chucking them into a large empty dumpster would not cause this to happen.

We had to resort to a long length of "star picketing" metal to break the necks of the tubes in the dumpster.
The result of a successful use of this device was a gentle "sigh" from the tube as the air rushed in.

I think a lot of the :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: about tubes comes from the quite large PPI Radar tubes that were widely available surplus post-WW2.
They were definitely scary!
The 1950s style TV tubes still had problems, hence the safety glass protection common on TVs of the era.
From the very late part of that decade, tubes with bonded safety glass virtually eliminated the danger.
Later, more "high tech" designs used a much less bulky bonded safety shield, combined with steel strapping which directed the force away from the front of the tube.

The main "danger" of "gorilla like" handling of modern CRTs is breaking the neck, & turning a useful device into a paperweight!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 12:56:02 am by vk6zgo »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #124848 on: July 02, 2022, 12:50:12 am »
My major concern is now the power company: will they let me interconnect my solar/battery system IF I do not plan to sell back the energy to them?
All what I need is to stay passive as I am now....no change in my current contract.
I sent already an email... I am scared to read their response.

Most of the horror stories I read about are exactly the opposite: some monkey-butt thinking they're going to "stick it to da man" because they read somewhere that the electric company has to allow you to backfeed and that they have to pay you for the electricity you generate. In those cases, you as a "power plant" have to ensure QOS and they will have very specific demands as to the hardware they allow you to connect to their grid.

In a "consumer-only" scenario, I believe there is going to have be some form of power conditioning or isolation that has to be installed between "your grid" and "their grid"; even if it is as simple as you using a big-arse transformer to charge your battery bank when needed. I do not believe they will allow you to connect their grid directly to the solar-powered/generated AC you use for your own household AC power under any circumstances.

mnem
 :bullshit:

Unfortunately you can’t keep the same meter as that meter is not equipped to read the solar panels. The new mater works in conjunction with the panels and that way we receive the correct information from the panels as well as the usage.

I knew it  :palm:
I will try one more time, but they are forcing me to go off grid...

1) I do not want to buy at the double price I am selling back to them
2) I want to put how much panels I want on my roof in my property
3) Yes the base price for a bidirectional meter is 16$ instead or the regular 12$ each month, and recently a power company in the area bumped it up to 30$/month just because.

It not about the business case, it's the principle.

4th July is coming.....
I N D E P E N D E N C E

« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 01:23:35 am by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124849 on: July 02, 2022, 01:17:23 am »
I knew it  :palm:
I will try one more time, but they are forcing me to go off grid...

1) I do not want to buy at the double price I am selling back to them
2) I want to put how much panels I want on my roof in my property
3) Yes the base price for a bidirectional meter is 16$ instead or the regular 12$ each month, and recently a power company in the area bumped it up to 30$/month just because.

It not about the business case, it's the principle.

4th July is coming.....
I N D E P E N D E N C E *cringe*

1) They're offering half...? That's more generous than most stories I've heard.
2) I don't know if that's "I want to overbuild" (tho I suspect so with you ;)) or you mean you want to build to a spec.
3) If you just want them available as backup, seems to me that a huge-arse transformer to charge your battery banks... and a failover switch just in case... and they can keep their pervy bidirectional meter.  :-//

As for them expecting to collect data from your solar panels... that's a nunya.

As in "NUNYA FUKKIN' BIDNESS!!!"  :-DD

mnem
also nunna my fekkin' bidness. ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 01:21:15 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf