Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549145 times)

MVSantos and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #125025 on: July 03, 2022, 12:39:03 pm »

I am quite interested in what looks like an old A3 format HP Plotter...

Speaking of which, there used to be a company making HP-compatible plotters and selling them by the boat load. Had one to plot films for making PCBs.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of this company. Any help?

CalComp, Roland, Summa?
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Triplett-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #125026 on: July 03, 2022, 12:49:40 pm »
Still "Agilent - Yuckyputz!", 54622D is the 100MHz version, of the 54621D (60MHz) that Mnem is trying to figure out the monitor connections for. Seems to have different knobs fitted.  :-//
Any chance you took some teardown pictures? We seem to be lacking detailed pictures of the CRT boards, the youtube videos don't show them in any detail and focus too much of the scope mainboard.

David

Yep the knobs are all newer Keysight style knobs. When I bought it I didn't pay attention to the knobs that much. When I got it the only knob that was original was the lower left intensity knob. Those original knobs can get really worn by use, I think it was the rubber coating on them. Since I'm anal I had to get the last knob replaced.  :-DD

That was like 3 years ago and Daniel B. of Keysight who (used) to post here helped me get a new knob. That was when Keysight still sortof let hobbyist schmucks buy stuff like parts. Now they don't give a shit.

The only teardown pics I have at the moment was the ones involving the keypad because the keys were not responding well and I had to do a lot of work to get the carbon pads reconditioned. Works like new now.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:14:22 pm by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, ch_scr, factory, cyclin_al

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125027 on: July 03, 2022, 01:12:09 pm »

Speaking of which, there used to be a company making HP-compatible plotters and selling them by the boat load. Had one to plot films for making PCBs.

CalComp, Roland, Summa?

After another long search on Google and Ebay... Sekonic.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Online TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #125028 on: July 03, 2022, 01:27:08 pm »
Boy, do I loooooveee hole punches, waayyy better than nasty holesaws.  8)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:29:42 pm by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125029 on: July 03, 2022, 01:40:24 pm »
Oh I so need a set of those. I hate drilling shit  :-DD

First haul from the 3776A. Stripping high value, precision parts and some jellybeans I've run out of. So far winning (click to zoom):

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, cyclin_al, Zoli, DH7DN

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125030 on: July 03, 2022, 01:58:25 pm »
WELCOME TO 5000!           

From the Agilent 54654N diagrams, that were linked to recently.
The monitor cable has three connections for +15V and ground, six total.
Three connections for the intensity pot.
Last four connections are half bright, full bright, HS (Hsync?) and VS (Vsync?).
Interesting the HS goes through a 74393 to provide the probe compensation signal.
HS & VS come from the big Jackal custom IC and the half bright, full bright from a PAL IC.

Other relevant pages have been cropped, rotated & added below.

This forum post suggest the Hsync is 19.72kHz and the Vsync is 60Hz.
https://www-elektronik-si.translate.goog/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30&sid=c8ec2c01726d6cc1ee123fe5ebbe8c3d&_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Guess I need to locate those on my 54615B, to try & narrow down where my intermittent horizontal roll problem is, but it's not the same board.

David

Okay, I've traced out the 54621D and the VCC, GND are in the same locations, plus Pin 10 dssig_grd is also tied directly to GND. However the BRIGHTNESS pot is not brought out to this header on the 54621D.

VSync                                                    HSync 

My guess is that 13/14 are still the sync signals, and they have repurposed 7, 8, 9, 11, 12 for their greyscale scheme. 54645A agrees; trace 1 is the 54621D, trace 2 is the 54600A.

However, pin 8 is a different story; all I'm getting from the 54600A is noise.   :wtf:

Then the light dawns; the pot isn't connected to the monitor PCB, duh. Then it occurs to me the voltages usually present on a brightness pot, so I connect the cable back in the 54600A and probe the pot. Yup... (-58V) sent out pin 9 to the pot. Without knowing how the 54621D does its greyscale, I'm not too sanguine about connecting that (-58V) back to its mainboard.

I think this is probably a good point to call it a night. ;)

mnem
 :-BROKE

So you were not short of machines, all clear then.
Better also that incoming voltage is not 125V.

Maybe one final thing, 31 of Toshiba E9054B31-CDHT is green.

I just visited my storage unit to get the TEK 7000 kit that someone decided to buy. While there I grabbed a HP 8922M monitor that has similar signals to this one. I'll whip the screen off and take some pictures later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125031 on: July 03, 2022, 02:27:17 pm »
from my 54622d
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory, cyclin_al, m k

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125032 on: July 03, 2022, 02:28:29 pm »
more from my 54622d
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, factory, m k

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125033 on: July 03, 2022, 02:31:33 pm »
Yonks ago, I remember driving a 100E Ford Popular back from London to Southampton on the M3.
Back in those days, the Poms were well into tailgating, with the worst offenders being "chaps driving Jaguars".
Downright terrifying, with the poor old "Pop" screaming its guts out, and a Jag bonnet emblem seemingly in the back seat.

Tailgating was not rare in Oz at the time, but I was surprised how 1970s Brits made an artform of it!
"Culture shock", I guess!

Since those days the tailgating in Britain has gotten worse, and it doesn't matter what make of car is behind doing the tailgating or in front being tailgated.  I'm as likely to be tailgated by Nissan Micra as I am by an Audi SUV. I'd say 1 in 5 cars that gets behind me holds back to a safe distance, so 4 in 5 are too close ranging from  half what it should be to "What have you got in your boot mate? I want a look.". It seems like the average driver no longer has any grasp of basic common sense physics ranging from optics (what they can see) through to dynamics (how soon they can stop), or physiology (what it will do to their bodies when they come to a sudden stop). There are days when I feel that I need a rear gunner with at least a 20mm cannon.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, Atomillo

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125034 on: July 03, 2022, 02:34:45 pm »
Depends how many posts people deleted  :-DD

Revisionist bastards!  :-DD

Bleeding bloody splitters! :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #125035 on: July 03, 2022, 02:46:40 pm »
WELCOME TO 5000!           

I think this is probably a good point to call it a night. ;)   mnem    :-BROKE   

Hi Dwagon,   Did you see my posts
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4275517/#msg4275517
and
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg4275556/#msg4275556

Looks like same video scheme as the 892x series a Gondbes 8220 video converter would be my next stop.

Yup, sure did; and followed that rabbit-hole down to that LCD mod. Very tidy! :-+

Problem is that the models we have tech ref on... the ones we've been talking about... are all proper non-greyscale monochrome monitors. Also, this family of monitors are all "1000 line" resolution (IIRC, I read that they "use" ~960 lines), so not too sanguine aboot dropping down to 800x600 resolution.  :-//

There's a CDM-7SX191 monitor on eBay right now for $80... I've been meaning to get into one of these Chinesium video scan converters as a diag tool for a while, so that might still happen... but I think that if I were going to fix this scope, I'd prolly bite the bullet and buy that monitor.

This of course is all dependent on how my dispute resolves out.  ;) I wanted to spend a little time tinkering just to see if there were signs of life; I was hoping it might be easy to mod the CDM-7SF191 I have in that 54600A so it thinks it's a CDM-7SX191.

I may instead try remoting into it over the RS-232 instead... in which case I'll soon be hunting down that software you posted and firing up the old WinXP Toughbook.  >:D

mnem
 :blah:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125036 on: July 03, 2022, 02:47:01 pm »
[img width=6°°]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/?action=dlattach;attach=1528393;image[/img]

Boy, do I loooooveee hole punches, waayyy better than nasty holesaws.  8)

I don't understand... must have misread your previous post... though this amp was just a very vague long term project... and now you present us with a chassis... could you have been lying to us.... no, you would not do that.

Looks very clean/professional indeed... but what machine did you use that had enough force to punch through that metal, smoothly, i a controlled manner ? Surely a flick of a hammer won't do it... do you have a press ? That would be to just as interesting to see as the resulting holes... because I sure am interested as well.... links/costs etc....

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125037 on: July 03, 2022, 02:52:46 pm »

I found this video of the Agilent 54621A earlier, interesting the front panel boards got changed to FR4, also note the comms modules from older HP 546xx scopes are not compatible (different connector) and may cause damage if forced on & used like that, you have been warned.

Since we're posting pics of these models here's mine. Notice anything interesting about it?  :popcorn:

Oh, so you have one of those MSO as well ! Didn't know... now I know.

Common as mud then, who else has one ?!  :-//

So that's xrunner,, the frog the dwagon and Robert, so far. 4 already.

Do we have to pay a yearly membership fee to be part of that "club" ?!  ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125038 on: July 03, 2022, 02:53:49 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

mnem
I should tell her you said that... and give her your address. >:D
Do you need some help? Edit: Changed for Vince

Naaaahhh... If I were gonna farm out the revenge, I'd wait til Saskia is feeling better and give her the assignment.   :-DD

mnem
"Revenge is a dish best served cold... with a side of slaw." ~me >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125039 on: July 03, 2022, 02:55:41 pm »

First haul from the 3776A. Stripping high value, precision parts and some jellybeans I've run out of. So far winning (click to zoom):

Wow you even kept the 2222 and 2905 trannystors ! I thought only me would bother saving these humble little things, you  surprised me here !  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125040 on: July 03, 2022, 02:58:22 pm »

Wow you even kept the 2222 and 2905 trannystors ! I thought only me would bother saving these humble little things, you  surprised me here !  :-DD

They’re bloody expensive and I like can transistors.  Not chucking them  :-DD

I actually got enough parts in that lot to build the replacement DC regulator power supply for the HP 427A
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 03:01:02 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125041 on: July 03, 2022, 02:58:29 pm »
Before rumors of my activities while on vacation get circulated I am forced to publish this unauthorized photograph of yours truly consuming forbidden chocolate cake. This is the only debauchery I will readily admit to since there is documented evidence. I wanted to scold the individual who committed this underhanded act but common sense got the better of me.  :-DD

(Did it affect my blood sugar? Only marginally. Was it good? Absolutely.)  ;D   

Suffer the consequences gladly; no regrets.  :-+

mnem
And welcome back to the nuthouse you helped make. >:D

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125042 on: July 03, 2022, 02:59:06 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

mnem
I should tell her you said that... and give her your address. >:D
Do you need some help? Edit: Changed for Vince

Naaaahhh... If I were gonna farm out the revenge, I'd wait til Saskia is feeling better and give her the assignment.   :-DD

mnem
"Revenge is a dish best served cold... with a side of slaw." ~me >:D

That's really not very nice ! All I was trying to do was help you with your CRT problem that's all, and this is what I get in return ?!   :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125043 on: July 03, 2022, 03:00:29 pm »

Yea they're all over. My neighbor has one he put under a TV to raise the screen, he doesn't even do electronics.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125044 on: July 03, 2022, 03:00:46 pm »

They’re bloody expensive and I like can transistors.  Not chucking them  :-DD

Bloody expensive  ?! How can that be   :-DD  Really ?!  :wtf:

OK will keep all of mine then...

Do I get extra money for my 2N2904A ? Gold plated leads and bottom of the can as well, that's gotta be worth a little extra  !  >:D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 03:09:02 pm by Vince »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125045 on: July 03, 2022, 03:03:09 pm »

Watanabe? Calcomp?

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125046 on: July 03, 2022, 03:04:31 pm »

Yea they're all over. My neighbor has one he put under a TV to raise the screen, he doesn't even do electronics.  :-DD

Eh ?!  :wtf:

How can he have such an instrument if he knows so littlle about them that he uses it to raise his TV ?!
How did he even get that scope in his possession in the first place, it's strange  :-\

But who cares. How come you have not asked him for that scope and given him a equivalent "device" to raise his TV.. this time made of wood or whatever....

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125047 on: July 03, 2022, 03:05:38 pm »

Watanabe? Calcomp?

Rule #1 : never reply to a message until you have read them all...  :-DD

:horse:

The following users thanked this post: Neper

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125048 on: July 03, 2022, 03:10:31 pm »

Eh ?!  :wtf:

How can he have such an instrument if he knows so littlle about them that he uses it to raise his TV ?!
How did he even get that scope in his possession in the first place, it's strange  :-\

But who cares. How come you have not asked him for that scope and given him a equivalent "device" to raise his TV.. this time made of wood or whatever....

Joking!  :-DD

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125049 on: July 03, 2022, 03:12:03 pm »
GRRRR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :box:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf