Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14567528 times)

klab and 15 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #125300 on: July 05, 2022, 11:51:16 am »
Good luck, Vince! Keep my fingers crossed.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125301 on: July 05, 2022, 12:01:42 pm »
Yes indeed it is an iPad Air 1, model is A1474 as printed on the back cover, but according to the model number in the settings menu it is MD768B/B for which I can find zero information.

I don't know why Apple chose to describe that as "Model Number" in the UI when it's what they describe everywhere else as an "Order Number" i.e. the number you have to quote to get a model number A1447 with the right options, country specific stuff and so on. If you tap the actual displayed order code in that field it changes to the actual model number. Go figure...
How odd, I just tried that myself. I'm guessing that it must be some code that Apple use for something but what?, surely anything that is country specific would be flagged in the about tab anyway and all references on internet all mention MD785LL/A  :-//

All Apple order numbers are M9999aa/a where the M is just that, 9999 the model+build options and aa/a country/market. On Apple's own invoices that number appear in a column headed "Material Number". I wouldn't expect them to flag what voltage charger or mains plug was required the the device's UI as a specific item, but obviously someone has to know it to know what to put in the box, and which box to send to which customer. Things that end LL/A are North America, which is why that's what you usually see, UK versions seem to mostly end B/A. Reading between the lines I suspect but don't know that items sold direct by Apple end /A, and items sold through the channel end /B.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #125302 on: July 05, 2022, 12:10:19 pm »
Got curious and found some info on iPhone 6s support. Might be ending when iOS 16 is out. Don't know any more than what I'm finding at the moment.

https://www.macworld.com/article/561009/ios-16-support-iphone-6s-iphone-se.html
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125303 on: July 05, 2022, 12:22:10 pm »
Ok, then that video does sort of make some sense, but here is another angle, what would happen with all that natural gas if we don't use it for heating or cooking? It's going to get released into the atmosphere and do what? Build up to become a huge big gas cloud that we are going to be breathing in and then one day a lightening strike ignites it and the entire planet erupts into a huge fireball and incinerates everything and everyone or worse, the planet blows apart and ceases to be a planet any more.  :-// :-// :-//

You must be pulling our plonkers. Natural gas that has happily spent millions of years underground is suddenly going to start floating up into the air if we don't use it?

I don't know the answers really, and I'm pretty sure nobody else does, we may think that we do..but do we really :-//

Looking at the animal / plant world for instance, it would seem that each animal, insect or plant has a specific role to play in the grand scheme of things and in one form or other all rely on each other for food and regulation. So how can we really be certain that fossil fuels aren't just a spoke in the great circle / wheel of life and that man was meant to discover it and use it like we do :-// Didn't early man have fires in their caves and use fire to scare off predators like wild lions etc. It makes you think what if... don't it?

That position that "each animal, insect or plant has a specific [designed]  role to play in the grand scheme of things" and "that man was meant to discover" requires some variant of the "everything was planned, designed and made by [a] sky fairy/fairies" theory. I very much doubt that any sane sky fairy would plan for fossil fuels to exist just so we could use up too much of them to bugger the planet over. Then again, in most mythologies the sky fairy/fairies seem to suffer from one or more of the variants of psychological disorders along the narcissistic/sociopathic/psychopathic continuum so I suppose it isn't something that one should rule out merely because it would be the plan of a mad entity/entities.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, mansaxel, cyclin_al

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #125304 on: July 05, 2022, 12:39:39 pm »
Ok, then that video does sort of make some sense, but here is another angle, what would happen with all that natural gas if we don't use it for heating or cooking? It's going to get released into the atmosphere and do what? Build up to become a huge big gas cloud that we are going to be breathing in and then one day a lightening strike ignites it and the entire planet erupts into a huge fireball and incinerates everything and everyone or worse, the planet blows apart and ceases to be a planet any more.  :-// :-// :-//

You must be pulling our plonkers. Natural gas that has happily spent millions of years underground is suddenly going to start floating up into the air if we don't use it?

Undersea methane clathrate/hydrate? (Note the question mark)

Methane in permafrost.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125305 on: July 05, 2022, 12:42:04 pm »
Got curious and found some info on iPhone 6s support. Might be ending when iOS 16 is out. Don't know any more than what I'm finding at the moment.

https://www.macworld.com/article/561009/ios-16-support-iphone-6s-iphone-se.html

They say that somebody else says that someone else says that. At least they have the honesty to suggest themselves that you take it with a pinch of salt.  :)

That leads to a philosophic question. What classification goes with each of the levels of "someone said"? One layer "reliable intelligence", two layers "gossip", three "rumour", ..., six "wild unfounded speculation"?

Anyway, continued support until Sept 2022 is guaranteed, anything after that is a bonus and I would speculate that, based on past performance, Apple are likely to stretch the support beyond the guaranteed 4 years. It's going to need a headline feature that requires hardware that only exists in the iPhone 7 and later  before they have a real reason to drop support "on time".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125306 on: July 05, 2022, 12:47:33 pm »
Three questions about the components below, on two different test equipment boards:
  • what's the "perforated tube" in the centre of both pictures? My guess is an inductor, but why that peculiar construction?
  • is there anything interestingly special about the reed relay, Electrol R4174-1
  • how long would it take for a ferengi to spot the gold and other components?

I think it is a delay line. It's construction is a bit like a non-inductive power resistor but it's clearly not a power circuit.

Certainly not a power circuit. I presume the solidity is to ensure mechanical stability and hence electric stability.

It might be a helical delay line, but from what little I've seen those tend to have an associated shield like a coax line. It might be a resonant helical delay line, e.g. used for sharp bandpass IF filters. It might be part of a low-pass filter; the "dielectric" would have low loss and hence a high Q.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #125307 on: July 05, 2022, 12:50:43 pm »

I don't know the answers really, and I'm pretty sure nobody else does, we may think that we do..but do we really :-//

Looking at the animal / plant world for instance, it would seem that each animal, insect or plant has a specific role to play in the grand scheme of things and in one form or other all rely on each other for food and regulation. So how can we really be certain that fossil fuels aren't just a spoke in the great circle / wheel of life and that man was meant to discover it and use it like we do :-// Didn't early man have fires in their caves and use fire to scare off predators like wild lions etc. It makes you think what if... don't it?

That position that "each animal, insect or plant has a specific [designed]  role to play in the grand scheme of things" and "that man was meant to discover" requires some variant of the "everything was planned, designed and made by [a] sky fairy/fairies" theory. I very much doubt that any sane sky fairy would plan for fossil fuels to exist just so we could use up too much of them to bugger the planet over. Then again, in most mythologies the sky fairy/fairies seem to suffer from one or more of the variants of psychological disorders along the narcissistic/sociopathic/psychopathic continuum so I suppose it isn't something that one should rule out merely because it would be the plan of a mad entity/entities.
Human beings have always created their gods in their own image. While I have no wish to offend those who do believe, and I appreciate the sense of community that organized religion gives some folk, I am a neutral in this war; an agnostic. I figure that if there is a god, and s/he is one worth believing in, s/he is going to have enough ego strength to deal with a honest skeptic.

Under any circumstances... if you do believe, it has got to be very hard to reconcile our abject failure as stewards of her masterpiece, this planet earth.

mnem
As I grow older and a bit more jaded, I feel more and more that if there is a god, he is a fucking absentee father, and really needs to be taken out back of the celestial woodshed...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125308 on: July 05, 2022, 12:57:50 pm »
For the nixie tubes lover, this one seem to be cheap (40$). Not sure why someone hacked-in a 7 segments display ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134158692838   
IIRC, that "digit" is just a long neon bulb for a "1". I don't believe there is an actual digit, is there?

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a nixie mallet*

Nope.  :palm:

EDIT: LOL!!! Specmaster found this very video while I was snoozing... :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 01:13:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #125309 on: July 05, 2022, 01:04:39 pm »
You want to really save energy and minimize your CF

Carbon Footprint concept was invented by oil company BP. It is a scam to distract people.
They invested more money in advertising it than to reduce THEIR "CF", whatever it is.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #125310 on: July 05, 2022, 01:07:17 pm »
Also of course, the heat lost in the process of cooking, is not really lost in the winter as it contributes to the warming of your house? Its only in the summer months that the heat loss is really adding to global warming without adding anything useful in return  :-//

Burning fossil fuel in 2022 with potentially tons of PV energy on the roof (my case), it is just bad for everybody.
Again it's not just the business case, it the mostly right thing to do.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125311 on: July 05, 2022, 01:10:30 pm »
Except that generating and delivering an equivalent amount of heat as electricity is an order of magnitude less efficient than burning the natural gas directly to heat your food or water. No matter what mumbo-jumbo they're spouting, you still need to expend a certain amount of kilocalories to heat a galllon of water or to cook a dozen eggs.

Except that the pots and pans we use are horribly inefficient. You only have to hold your hand above the edge of pan on a gas cooker to realise that an awful lot of very hot air is rushing past the pan and not having its heat extracted from it. A while back I saw some pans that, unsurprisingly, had a bottom and sides that looked very heatsink like which improved the efficiency of the pan by at least a factor of two.

On the other hand it's hard to believe that the inefficiencies and losses involved in electricity are not going to be bested by a well designed water heater. Both burn gas in the first place, the thermal efficiency of heat transfer to water is probably going to be similar in both cases, but electricity then has generation and transmission losses to cope with. Obviously there are some indirect transmission inefficiencies in distributing gas too, pumping the stuff uses significant energy (There are 520 MW worth of gas turbines just used to pressurise the UK national gas core pipelines, before you consider what's used for local distribution). For heating hot water both methods could of course be greatly improved by using the energy not to heat the water directly, but to drive a heat pump to heat the water - even if you only get a CoP of 2 that's a huge efficiency gain..

Yeah, but the duty cycle of a gas hob does makes that a pretty small concession to reality; you spend much less time heating than any other way besides inductive. There your switching efficiency probably beats a resistive coil, might begin to approach break-even... but I doubt it. :-//

Under any circumstances, cooking over gas is much more viscerally pleasing... while a ceramic cooktop (even the new halogen ones) is much easier to keep clean, there are some things I feel we have a right to keep as they are. Some people grill over wood or charcoal for the same reason; I prefer a nice old propane BBQ with lots of dripping-cinders on the vaporizers.  >:D With grates scrubbed clean every use, of course. ;)

mnem
 :blah:

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #125312 on: July 05, 2022, 01:10:58 pm »
Yes indeed ! My RM17 rack mount glowing Tek scope has been waiting for caps and adapter PCB's for some time now, it's taking space on my bench !  :-DD

And you need to save up for a TDS scope from Japan!  :-DD

Good luck and as they say in Japan, Gambatte!
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, cyclin_al, syau

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125313 on: July 05, 2022, 01:13:50 pm »

Methane in permafrost.

Not exactly stuff that we are currently harvesting/using which was the context, that of stopping using natural gas, nor the unpleasant possibility of there being a catastrophic positive feedback from global warming if we keep using the stuff and manage to release all those putative undersea stores.

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125314 on: July 05, 2022, 01:29:23 pm »
Under any circumstances... if you do believe, it has got to be very hard to reconcile our abject failure as stewards of her masterpiece, this planet earth.

L'enfer, c'est les autres.
That's why there are so many religions that believers can always put the blame on those praying by the 'wrong' book.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 01:35:02 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125315 on: July 05, 2022, 01:29:58 pm »

<SNIP>

I think the view was tha the gas is a byproduct of oil production and something has to be done with it. If we don't drill it won't be released.
That said we do of course dirill just for gas, the above does not apply to that.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al, Neper

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125316 on: July 05, 2022, 01:34:03 pm »

Methane in permafrost.

Not exactly stuff that we are currently harvesting/using which was the context, that of stopping using natural gas, nor the unpleasant possibility of there being a catastrophic positive feedback from global warming if we keep using the stuff and manage to release all those putative undersea stores.

Undersea clathrates are being extracted, and will be harvested commercially.

Japan says it has successfully extracted natural gas from frozen methane hydrate off its central coast, in a world first. The gas field is about 50km away from Japan's main island, in the Nankai Trough. Researchers say it could provide an alternative energy source for Japan which imports all its energy needs.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-21752441

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #125317 on: July 05, 2022, 01:38:15 pm »
PAL and NTSC don't have pixels, only lines. Horizontal resolution is only limited by bandwidth.

I might be inclined to agree with you if we are speaking of monochrome screens - but PAL and NTSC are colour signal systems.  Things like phosphor pattern and shadow mask come to mind...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neper

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #125318 on: July 05, 2022, 01:40:08 pm »
Things like phosphor pattern and shadow mask come to mind...

Quite so. I was beginning to wonder when someone would eventually come up with it.
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125319 on: July 05, 2022, 01:45:40 pm »
Back to the PAL.
I measured 54622D visible screen area from online picture and got exactly 5:4.
Is that correct?
Pictured knobs were round.
Vertical resolution was also sort of HD compared to 54600B but picture was JPG and not huge.

@mnem, did you measure your machine's H-sync, what was it's frequency?
From online pictures I'd guess that resolution is double and double compared to old model.
True double from that old schematics would be 24720Hz * 2, pretty much.

Back to the monitor.
Single color CRT doesn't need any rasters, if not for picture enhancement purposes.
Some older 546xx model online pictures have clearly straight edged pixels but some other ones are far from it.
So no raster.

Many kinds of CRT glow properties were also available.
So even if video monitor can be tuned to accept 546xx signal maybe its CRT internals are not suitable.
Resolution per se is not a problem.

Computer world had MDA and HGC but both are still under 20kHz horizontally.
MCGA was also available once, it is vertically like CGA/VGA.

The main issue with video monitor is interlace and its process.
There deflection goes from top to bottom twice and second round must be informed somehow.
If that then is controlled by a chip it may not like that half picture just continue continuing.
Vertical size is not usually a problem, usually it can be trimmed out of proportion.

With high resolution monitor its resolution can be an issue though.
There vertical pixel count is meant to be high and less of it can make a sparse picture.
There it can also go so that one line is missing but third is not, that is also what can be expected when resolution of signal and resolution of LCD are not buddies.

E,
H -> V
Yeah, 625 line PAL is interlaced; I was thinking that when we were talking before.  :-+

That's another reason I decided to put a pin in this project; I'm waiting on the outcome of this eBay dispute. If I'm not keeping this turd, I think I'd much rather spend the time and brain power figuring out what went wrong with my fuckeroo UTG962E. And playing with my brand-new LeSiglent T3DSO2102:-DD

mnem
Never any shortage of things a tinkerdwagon needs to do...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #125320 on: July 05, 2022, 01:47:50 pm »
Monochrome TV sets have a higher resolution than the colour ones.

Here in Germany we are having a bandwidth for the black-and-white TV sets of 5MHz.
For the colour ones (PAL) it is 4.43MHz. The difference goes into the vector encoding for the colours.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125321 on: July 05, 2022, 01:53:57 pm »
Woohoo housing nightmare sorted. Moving 26th Aug now. Place slightly smaller than last one but plenty of storage for TE and secure underground car park so the TE doesn't get wet unloading it from the car :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Vince, BU508A, med6753, ch_scr, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125322 on: July 05, 2022, 01:56:03 pm »
...Anyway, problem probably solved : a friend just phoned me... he has an old ex work-laptop that he used to use at Airbus to do TEAMS meetings ! Yes, the very thing I need to do !! I will meet him at his house this evening once he gets back from work. We will dig out and dust off that laptop and see if it still works.

Hopes are high !!!  ;D

That's the go-get-'em attitude!

Good luck, my friend. Hope to see you soon flush and overloaded in stuff to finish your home out with. :-+

mnem
*claws, wings, toes and tail crossed for luck*

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #125323 on: July 05, 2022, 02:01:04 pm »
..... but plenty of storage for TE and secure underground car park so the TE doesn't get wet unloading it from the car :-DD

Who else can see where this is going to end up!!    :scared:

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #125324 on: July 05, 2022, 02:06:55 pm »
Yes... he will install / set up his lab... in the garage....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf