Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14902202 times)

Jambalaya and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #129125 on: August 09, 2022, 12:05:04 pm »
...Maybe, I'll try my luck with some TTi bench power supplies, when I get my double unit, I don't really need it and 3 single TTi units do I  :-\

In all seriousness, I consider this a bare minimum.

There are also 2 other PSUs in the drawer under that stack.  :-DD

mnem
*juicy*
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:13:32 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129126 on: August 09, 2022, 12:12:55 pm »
In other news... I think I'm coming down with a cold. Or whatever respiratory eeevil is making the rounds right now.  ::)

mnem
maybe it's radon poisoning from all the time I've spent in the basement/dwagon-cave lately... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129127 on: August 09, 2022, 12:19:27 pm »
...Maybe, I'll try my luck with some TTi bench power supplies, when I get my double unit, I don't really need it and 3 single TTi units do I  :-\

mnem
*juicy*
Well I currently have 4, and was planning on remaining at 4, I really think 4 is overkill for my kind of usage, most gear is going to be at best +15, -15, +5 and -5 and I can't remember the last time I needed more than 2 apart from when I needed 100V at more than 1A. Any time I need more than that would be for a sanity check on a meter, when in conjunction with my scope calibrator, I can muster upto 200V.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 12:39:04 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #129128 on: August 09, 2022, 12:19:56 pm »
Well that was a pain in the ass. Not much clearance between the shield and the pot above it. But it's out. The other shield doesn't seem to be as tight so I should have more clearance. And here's where the cost cutting to meet a price point reveals itself. Look at those wafer decks. Totally black with corrosion. I'm surprised they worked at all. Hopefully the Deoxit D5 cleans them up. But I suspect the results may be temporary at best. We'll see.

In my haste to order the replacement capacitors I forgot to order sufficient to re-cap this board. I'll take my chances here. Those low value capacitors rarely puke their guts anyway.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al, Zoli

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #129129 on: August 09, 2022, 01:00:44 pm »
For those that like making clocks nixies, there are some more up for sale
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165617170763
That seller sold another batch recently, if you want to get an idea of the selling price

Oh great I'd forgotten about that seller. I now have two other things on my bloody watch list  :-DD

I wondered about the chest of trannies and the electrometer, but decided I've (indirectly) got too many insurance hassles ATM. And I've got sufficient 60/40 solder.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129130 on: August 09, 2022, 01:33:24 pm »
Yeah I persuaded myself to skip the solder  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #129131 on: August 09, 2022, 01:50:33 pm »
well, if a turbine on a 30m mast came crashing into the neighbors there would certainly be some hubbub. Understandably.
Rooftop turbines are just a waste of money, and vibrations will ruin your roof, so that's a definite no go.

As for PV, the problem is that I am getting to old to crawl onto a roof and that I am not legally qualified to do the electrical work.
So I have to find a company which is willing to do both - over here in this area of the swamp you don't find contractors who just throw the panels onto the roof, or do the electrical work, or do battery installation. The contractors in this area want to provide a turn key installation (do it all or do nothing) and do not even answer the phone if you don't buy into that. So it's shell out or be naked.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129132 on: August 09, 2022, 02:02:55 pm »
I suspect you already have enough things going on in your life which absorb your energies, most of which are fun. You really don't need to take on something else of dubious benefit, and with a host of potential problems.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129133 on: August 09, 2022, 02:04:30 pm »
You really don't need to take on something else of dubious benefit, and with a host of potential problems.

Hey stop insulting my oscilloscopes  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al, Zenith

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129134 on: August 09, 2022, 02:05:02 pm »

mnem
*juicy*
Well I currently have 4, and was planning on remaining at 4, I really think 4 is overkill for my kind of usage, most gear is going to be at best +15, -15, +5 and -5 and I can't remember the last time I needed more than 2 apart from when I needed 100V at more than 1A. Any time I need more than that would be for a sanity check on a meter, when in conjunction with my scope calibrator, I can muster upto 200V.

2 op-amps in two interconnected comms projects plus CPU/TTL supply is minimum 6 PSU channels. I've run up against that one enough times that I used to keep 4 of those commodity 3-ch adjustable PSUs handy in a drawer. Well, that and I picked 'em up cheap at a flea market. :-//

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129135 on: August 09, 2022, 02:05:11 pm »
so true, except that most of the stuff is no fun at all ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129136 on: August 09, 2022, 02:11:58 pm »
You really don't need to take on something else of dubious benefit, and with a host of potential problems.

I thought he was talking aboot your dating history.  :-DD

mnem

*currently watching the property manager's handyman kill himself
trying to replace a bathroom faucet that just needed new cartridges*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Zenith

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129137 on: August 09, 2022, 02:13:55 pm »

I thought he was talking aboot your dating history.  :-DD

Well that would be very accurate  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129138 on: August 09, 2022, 02:16:39 pm »

Yes but when it comes down to it you can sell the oscilloscopes for next to nothing, or give them away, or just take them to the dump - if you had to get rid of them quickly. How much did you pay for them in the first place? Knowing you a bit on here - not much.

A 15m wind turbine, with planning permission and maintenance, affecting property values, annoying neighbours, and a lot of money wrapped up in it, is a different scale of hassle and worries.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129139 on: August 09, 2022, 02:25:53 pm »
...And here's where the cost cutting to meet a price point reveals itself. Look at those wafer decks. Totally black with corrosion. I'm surprised they worked at all. Hopefully the Deoxit D5 cleans them up. But I suspect the results may be temporary at best. We'll see.

Appears pretty normal for silver-plated bronze wafer switches of the era. The regions which actually wipe against each other generally keep themselves clean if the device is used regularly; not sure if that one is new enough that it has the silicone lube which tends to mediate the tarnish build-up.

On egregiously neglected examples, dismantling and dipping in Tarn-X makes 'em look like new again; but you'll want to wash with distilled water then alcohol before reassembling. Follow that with your favorite synthetic contact lube and she love you long time.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 02:29:57 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129140 on: August 09, 2022, 02:32:42 pm »

Yes but when it comes down to it you can sell the oscilloscopes for next to nothing, or give them away, or just take them to the dump - if you had to get rid of them quickly. How much did you pay for them in the first place? Knowing you a bit on here - not much.

A 15m wind turbine, with planning permission and maintenance, affecting property values, annoying neighbours, and a lot of money wrapped up in it, is a different scale of hassle and worries.

Fair point. TBH I usually buy for fuck all and sell for lots of money. I am of Ferengi heritage  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129141 on: August 09, 2022, 02:43:32 pm »
Yeah I persuaded myself to skip the solder  :-DD
I still about 10 rolls of it left, it'll see me off, thats for dammed sure.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129142 on: August 09, 2022, 02:51:20 pm »
well, if a turbine on a 30m mast came crashing into the neighbors there would certainly be some hubbub. Understandably.
Rooftop turbines are just a waste of money, and vibrations will ruin your roof, so that's a definite no go.

As for PV, the problem is that I am getting to old to crawl onto a roof and that I am not legally qualified to do the electrical work.
So I have to find a company which is willing to do both - over here in this area of the swamp you don't find contractors who just throw the panels onto the roof, or do the electrical work, or do battery installation. The contractors in this area want to provide a turn key installation (do it all or do nothing) and do not even answer the phone if you don't buy into that. So it's shell out or be naked.

I thought that ferengi women are meant to be naked  :-// ;) Oh I see you were talking about your roof being naked  :-[
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #129143 on: August 09, 2022, 02:54:44 pm »
Both channel attenuator switch decks cleaned with Deoxit D5 followed up with Deoxit D100 which has some additional anti-corrosion properties plus some lube. Shields re-installed. Switch rods re-installed. Now ready for top board installation and then magic smoke test. Stay tuned.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr, TERRA Operative, Kosmic, cyclin_al, syau, m k

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129144 on: August 09, 2022, 03:05:33 pm »

mnem
current mood: smurfy

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129145 on: August 09, 2022, 03:07:24 pm »

*currently watching the property manager's handyman kill himself
trying to replace a bathroom faucet that just needed new cartridges*

Fuck-a-doodle. The faucet he installed is some gewgaw "Arc Fashion" faucet that has a fixed spigot. The old one had a spigot that turns like a kitchen sink, so you could fill pitchers or a bucket for mopping. Waaaay useful. :-+

And I specifically asked him to keep that feature when he shopped a new one. We waited a month and a half to get a perfectly serviceable faucet fixed; and got a downgrade instead.

fucking muppet.

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129146 on: August 09, 2022, 03:16:41 pm »

I thought that ferengi women are meant to be naked  :-// ;) Oh I see you were talking about your roof being naked  :-[

Yeah... PV and the related storage is some pretty complex systems, and people are wanting/needing finished product with warranty. It's not reasonable to expect a contractor to warranty say a multi-panel install when they have no idea what charging/storage system is going to be connected to it. We're talking stuff that can melt down and start fires if not correctly matched.

I certainly wouldn't do just the panels, unless it was by the hour and no warranty, express or implied. And I had it in writing. And if I were in the biz, I wouldn't touch the kind of client that wants piecemeal with a barge-pole. Too much exposure for not enough money; both liability-wise and potential damage to the brand I'd worked hard to build.

Not only no, but hell no.

mnem
*not a muppet*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129147 on: August 09, 2022, 03:29:16 pm »
problem there is that the turn key providers do not really like the panels I like (I do not want to go with the cheapest chinesium stuff), they do not offer microinverters, ...
I can see where they are coming from, but I would also like to see some options instead of: you can buy a multiple of x kWp. Take it or leave it.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #129148 on: August 09, 2022, 03:33:51 pm »
Is the Digikey website not working right for anyone else?

Yesterday I couldn't use the parametric search, today I managed to add one part to my cart then I was bounced with an error, and now the login button goes straight to a 404 page...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline Zenith

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129149 on: August 09, 2022, 03:44:39 pm »

Fair point. TBH I usually buy for fuck all and sell for lots of money. I am of Ferengi heritage  :-DD
What does your Ferengi heritage tell you about wind turbines?

Mine tells me they could be a good little earner; if you are already wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice and own more than a few thousand acres, if your hammerhead accountants and great white lawyers have been over the deal from top to bottom, and if your contract negotiation specialist is more or less happy - he's the kind of guy who leaves you counting your fingers when you shake hands, and you are relieved only the little finger has the tip off, then you look at your left hand, and the thumb and forefinger are gone.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf